View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 1:37 am



Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax 
Author Message
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Is it possible, I guess anything is at this point in the saga, that once he heard from "her" on the 6th, that he believed that maybe she was still a real girlfriend? Could he have been trying to either substantiate the claim that she was alive, or perhaps even buy that she was alive, and was trying to reconcile and restart the relationship? It sounds crazy, but why would he sit on that for almost 3 weeks before telling ND. He told his parents, but someone gave him terrible advice to keep this in. I don't know. I'm still having trouble forming thoughts in my head that seem logical.

But that's the thing. When you are thinking about this, there is no logic!!

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 18th, 2013, 5:58 pm
Profile
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Is it possible, I guess anything is at this point in the saga, that once he heard from "her" on the 6th, that he believed that maybe she was still a real girlfriend? Could he have been trying to either substantiate the claim that she was alive, or perhaps even buy that she was alive, and was trying to reconcile and restart the relationship? It sounds crazy, but why would he sit on that for almost 3 weeks before telling ND. He told his parents, but someone gave him terrible advice to keep this in. I don't know. I'm still having trouble forming thoughts in my head that seem logical.

But that's the thing. When you are thinking about this, there is no logic!!


All of this crap is why I don't understand his reasoning behind not addressing it fully, in a press conference or TV interview, immediately. This thing is just growing, it's not going away. He needs to get out in front of it, and Oprah or most "news" shows I'm sure would be willing to pay him a good deal of money for his story at this point.


January 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2767
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Is it possible, I guess anything is at this point in the saga, that once he heard from "her" on the 6th, that he believed that maybe she was still a real girlfriend? Could he have been trying to either substantiate the claim that she was alive, or perhaps even buy that she was alive, and was trying to reconcile and restart the relationship? It sounds crazy, but why would he sit on that for almost 3 weeks before telling ND. He told his parents, but someone gave him terrible advice to keep this in. I don't know. I'm still having trouble forming thoughts in my head that seem logical.

But that's the thing. When you are thinking about this, there is no logic!!


All of this crap is why I don't understand his reasoning behind not addressing it fully, in a press conference or TV interview, immediately. This thing is just growing, it's not going away. He needs to get out in front of it, and Oprah or most "news" shows I'm sure would be willing to pay him a good deal of money for his story at this point.


He also said he kept the lie going because of his teammates. After Dec. 6th, the only remaining game was the title game on Jan. 7th. It would have blown over in that month and been over with. Some of his teammates have come out and said they knew he was lying about her back at the Mich. State game, so the inconsistencies are a plenty and they're all from his quotes to different media sources. Everything points to him being involved. He can try to blame it on someone else, but usually the ones running the hoax/scam are the ones that can't get their story straight. I'd know when my grandmother died. And I'd know when the love of my life died. I wouldn't mess it up where 4 different media outlets have 4 different dates/times combinations.

Him waiting to get his and his family's story straight is just reeking of a money/publicity grab just like the whole story was in the first place. After seeing Amish Mafia, a Hawaiian mafia wouldn't be too far fetched. Especially since everyone involved is connected there. The girl who's pics Te'o had were from a girl who went to high school and church with the supposed creator of the Lennay Account. The Arizona fullback who claimed to meet her is also connected. Everything ties back to the Te'o's.


January 18th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Apparently, he's doing an interview with Jeremy Schapp right now, with a lawyer present. The only explanation of the lawyer is that he plans to sue the perpetrator. There are no cameras present, so who knows how much we'll actually learn from this. Another odd turn in this crazy story.

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 19th, 2013, 12:04 am
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2767
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Apparently, he's doing an interview with Jeremy Schapp right now, with a lawyer present. The only explanation of the lawyer is that he plans to sue the perpetrator. There are no cameras present, so who knows how much we'll actually learn from this. Another odd turn in this crazy story.


You don't bring a lawyer to an interview to sue perp... you bring lawyer to interview to keep your answers straight. He's been prepping since Dec. 6th. Bringing a lawyer and no camera means he doesn't want anyone to see body language... It screams lie.


January 19th, 2013, 12:08 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
I agree about that. It's super fishy to do that. If he wants to get this behind him the only way to do this is to face the vultures; the won't stop circling until he does.

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 19th, 2013, 12:12 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
And now the "story" is on Espn.com but is all of 10 lines and one quote from him. Said it was recorded and was 2.5 hours long.

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 19th, 2013, 1:19 am
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2767
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Wayne Fontes wrote:
And now the "story" is on Espn.com but is all of 10 lines and one quote from him. Said it was recorded and was 2.5 hours long.


It's all there, the other 2.4 hours of it is just in invisible ink.


January 19th, 2013, 1:45 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3785
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
I think reguardless of what the story ends up being, his draft stock is going down. No matter what who ends up being responsible I think this story makes it perfectly reasonable to question how the mans mind works.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


January 19th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2281
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
regularjoe12 wrote:
I think reguardless of what the story ends up being, his draft stock is going down. No matter what who ends up being responsible I think this story makes it perfectly reasonable to question how the mans mind works.


More importantly, even if you interviewed him and liked him, does anybody really think he could walk into an NFL Locked room and carry the same clout he had before this came up. Wthether duped or complicit, before this many thought he could be a Ray Lewis, at least in the "Vocal , Inspirational Leader who gives 100%" maybe evwen taking over to Lead a D from Day 1 or soon after, where as now id think hes going to have to go in head down, quiet and learning from others and will have to earn that type of position over years of proof. THat lone will likely cost him since his intangibles were easily 25% if not 50% of his draw as a draftee.


January 19th, 2013, 2:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3128
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
I think reguardless of what the story ends up being, his draft stock is going down. No matter what who ends up being responsible I think this story makes it perfectly reasonable to question how the mans mind works.


More importantly, even if you interviewed him and liked him, does anybody really think he could walk into an NFL Locked room and carry the same clout he had before this came up. Wthether duped or complicit, before this many thought he could be a Ray Lewis, at least in the "Vocal , Inspirational Leader who gives 100%" maybe evwen taking over to Lead a D from Day 1 or soon after, where as now id think hes going to have to go in head down, quiet and learning from others and will have to earn that type of position over years of proof. THat lone will likely cost him since his intangibles were easily 25% if not 50% of his draw as a draftee.

I disagree completely about his draft stock. I heard Brian Billick talking on Mike & Mike the other day when this first came out, and he said flat out that unless this is proven that Te'o was in on it, it won't affect his draft stock at all. He said that there are guys who have way, way bigger red flags than this and they get drafted all the time. I agree with him. Teams might think it is a crazy situation and that Te'o showed horrible judgement, but at the end of the day what they really care about is that he makes plays on the field. Hell, LT was a drug addict, but he made plays. So the Giants didn't really care. There are tons of guys who aren't model citizens and do crazy stuff, but they are good teammates and they make plays. Ultimately that's all that's going to matter.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


January 20th, 2013, 12:10 pm
Profile
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
TDJ, there's a difference between "getting drafted," and "getting drafted where you would have been drafted had the story not came out." I think the latter is what a lot of people are expecting. And, it's turned into not just a dead g/f hoax, but questions about his sexuality, mental make up, etc., and it's compiled by the fact that he had a terrible Nat. Championship game, and his best games were against his weakest competition. He also comes with a bit of a Tim Tebow complex. Holy roller, that brings with him religious controversy where ever he goes. Right or wrong, it's a distraction.

He still seems like he can cover TEs, that's huge, and he seems like a pretty sure tackler, but given his lockerroom concerns and poor play against good competition, IMO he should fall from a top 10 pick to the 20th-early second round, at best.


January 20th, 2013, 1:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2281
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
TDJ, my comment was about what the Talent evaluators and GMs think. It is how a Locker room of MEN will react to Teo in a Leadership capacity, which is dimished by this event, whether complicit or duped. Hes supposed to a a touch, hard nose leader, and even if he was duped and this was the "love o his life" type of girl that he NEVER MET IN PERSON, ot will be hard for Most men to understand and not look at that as being incredibly soft... and if it affects the way the players who have to play with him will look at him then it should affect the way the evaluators look at him or they likely will overdraft him and he wont have the same impact they would have previously expected to get from his intangibles.

It doesnt make him slower or weaker, but it does call into question his judgement and even the remote perception of that type of "soft weakness" can go a long way in an NFL locker room when you are talking about dudes like Jason Taylor (if your ead the article about the pain most players deal with).

When i w s young and dumb I fell for a girl on the internet, and moved halfway across the country because i put the pussy on a pedestal and was an idiot. There were lies involved, old pictures because shed gotten fat, etc. and I still almost stayed out there... because i was soft. That is the type of mentality it takes to fall for poop like this, and most of my friends, co-workers and family members didnt get it... and they were just normal people. Now take the worlds top "gladiatorial athletes" and try to explain to them how you could carry on a 3 yr relationship and be deeply in love with someone you never met.. and you dont think it would change the way other players look at him?

Whether or not it impacts his draft stock, it will impact his perceptions until he "Re-Earns" the tough guy Mentality everyone thought he had when he was playing like an allstar in the wake of his grandmothers and "GFs" deaths.


January 20th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3128
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
DJ-B wrote:
TDJ, my comment was about what the Talent evaluators and GMs think. It is how a Locker room of MEN will react to Teo in a Leadership capacity, which is dimished by this event, whether complicit or duped. Hes supposed to a a touch, hard nose leader, and even if he was duped and this was the "love o his life" type of girl that he NEVER MET IN PERSON, ot will be hard for Most men to understand and not look at that as being incredibly soft... and if it affects the way the players who have to play with him will look at him then it should affect the way the evaluators look at him or they likely will overdraft him and he wont have the same impact they would have previously expected to get from his intangibles.

It doesnt make him slower or weaker, but it does call into question his judgement and even the remote perception of that type of "soft weakness" can go a long way in an NFL locker room when you are talking about dudes like Jason Taylor (if your ead the article about the pain most players deal with).

When i w s young and dumb I fell for a girl on the internet, and moved halfway across the country because i put the pussy on a pedestal and was an idiot. There were lies involved, old pictures because shed gotten fat, etc. and I still almost stayed out there... because i was soft. That is the type of mentality it takes to fall for poop like this, and most of my friends, co-workers and family members didnt get it... and they were just normal people. Now take the worlds top "gladiatorial athletes" and try to explain to them how you could carry on a 3 yr relationship and be deeply in love with someone you never met.. and you dont think it would change the way other players look at him?

Whether or not it impacts his draft stock, it will impact his perceptions until he "Re-Earns" the tough guy Mentality everyone thought he had when he was playing like an allstar in the wake of his grandmothers and "GFs" deaths.

I agree. The perception of him has no doubt changed and he'll have to earn it back. I think what will happen is that (assuming teams are satisfied with his pre-draft interviews), his draft position hasn't really changed. What has changed is that the certainty of him being a positive locker room presence and a good leader is diminished, and he won't walk into the locker room with the same gravitas he previously would have had. But, it will only take about 1 season of hard work, leading by example, being a good teammate, and playing well to win back the guys on whichever team he plays for (assuming those things happen). At the end of the day, all people really care about is that guys do their job and aren't difficult to be around or play with. Aside from that, the rest will be just background noise.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


January 21st, 2013, 12:06 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2281
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Agreed. I guess I was saying IMO it should affect his draft stock (based on Locker room perception) but actually may not. I dont hold him being young and gullible agaisnt him (especially having been through something similar if not nearly as drastic).. but it shouldnt make too much of a difference in the long run and yeah, 1 season of being the Teo they all thought he was will erase this whole situation.


January 21st, 2013, 2:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.