View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions 2017 Draft talk 
Team President - Rod Wood

Post Re: Lions 2017 Draft talk
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Taco is a player who massively underachieved for 3 seasons and had a good senior year. His draft stock skyrocketed bc he got 2.5 sacks against OSU in the last game but doesnt take into account how badly he played the edge vs the run, namely how undisciplined his play was losing the edge left and right and his athleticism not showing up in space vs Samuel or Barrett. Essentially, Taco barely "beat the clock" with the 3.5 sacks in the last 2 games or else he would probably be a 3rd-4th round player. I cant deny the size and athleticism nor the fact that the NFL is heavily biased towards sacks rather then a well balanced edge defender. I think Taco will be a good but I think it ll be at the back end of that rookie deal with him again barely "beating the clock" taking a few years to refine his game and continuing to learn how to play.

I feel like most NFL teams would be far better off with a player like Derek Barnett who hit the ground running in the SEC and produced throughout 3 great years. He gives up a bit of height to Taco but has a much more complete game, better motor, does better in space, reads and reacts to plays much better and to me is just a better football player. Barnett already knows how to play, he s a natural and he appears to be equal as an athlete. However, this is the time of year where for better or worse, an inch of arm length or height will make big differences to NFL front offices. The Lions may be in a good position to jump on Barnett if players like Taco Charlton rise.

I agree on Barnett, but I can't see him making it to the Lions at 21. His measurements are still quite good at 6'3 265 to fit most schemes and his film is going to be good enough to out weigh other players better measurements. It's a real possibility Taco isn't even around by 21. The DE position is going to be really interesting this year with mock drafts having all the guys after Garrett going in all different orders.

Taco is ahead of Barnett on several early mocks/prospect lists, I obviously disagree with those assessments. I ve seen Barnett listed anywhere from 7-30, obviously way too early to tell what will actually happen.

January 21st, 2017, 2:23 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Taco is a player who massively underachieved for 3 seasons and had a good senior year. His draft stock skyrocketed bc he got 2.5 sacks against OSU in the last game but doesnt take into account how badly he played the edge vs the run, namely how undisciplined his play was losing the edge left and right and his athleticism not showing up in space vs Samuel or Barrett. Essentially, Taco barely "beat the clock" with the 3.5 sacks in the last 2 games or else he would probably be a 3rd-4th round player. I cant deny the size and athleticism nor the fact that the NFL is heavily biased towards sacks rather then a well balanced edge defender. I think Taco will be a good but I think it ll be at the back end of that rookie deal with him again barely "beating the clock" taking a few years to refine his game and continuing to learn how to play.

I feel like most NFL teams would be far better off with a player like Derek Barnett who hit the ground running in the SEC and produced throughout 3 great years. He gives up a bit of height to Taco but has a much more complete game, better motor, does better in space, reads and reacts to plays much better and to me is just a better football player. Barnett already knows how to play, he s a natural and he appears to be equal as an athlete. However, this is the time of year where for better or worse, an inch of arm length or height will make big differences to NFL front offices. The Lions may be in a good position to jump on Barnett if players like Taco Charlton rise.

I agree on Barnett, but I can't see him making it to the Lions at 21. His measurements are still quite good at 6'3 265 to fit most schemes and his film is going to be good enough to out weigh other players better measurements. It's a real possibility Taco isn't even around by 21. The DE position is going to be really interesting this year with mock drafts having all the guys after Garrett going in all different orders.

Have to agree about Barnett not making it to 21. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top tier of DE's long gone by our pick, and if D-line is the way Quinn goes it could end up being Malik McDowell, who is currently considered the top DT on a lot of boards. I'm slightly indifferent on McDowell, even though I'm a State fan. His first two years were fine, but seemed to lack the same level of play as their season fell apart. There's no questioning his size and talent.
I expect Quinn to address DE's in FA with a mid-level signing or two, then in the draft sometime after our 1st round pick. One kid I find intriguing, that's been ascending the draft boards is Tanoh Kpassagnon 6-6 290 of Villanova. He's been invited to participate in the Senior Bowl and that should be a good barometer of his potential and ability. Here's a link to his highlight video if interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sS0OnaF6Tk

January 21st, 2017, 2:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Have to agree about Barnett not making it to 21. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top tier of DE's long gone by our pick, and if D-line is the way Quinn goes it could end up being Malik McDowell, who is currently considered the top DT on a lot of boards. I'm slightly indifferent on McDowell, even though I'm a State fan. His first two years were fine, but seemed to lack the same level of play as their season fell apart. There's no questioning his size and talent.
I expect Quinn to address DE's in FA with a mid-level signing or two, then in the draft sometime after our 1st round pick. One kid I find intriguing, that's been ascending the draft boards is Tanoh Kpassagnon 6-6 290 of Villanova. He's been invited to participate in the Senior Bowl and that should be a good barometer of his potential and ability. Here's a link to his highlight video if interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sS0OnaF6Tk

Tanoh Kpassagnon is really interesting and worth shot if he doesn't rise to high. The only major concern I would have with him is how long his legs are and how high he plays because of it. A lot of his plays in that video are just him pushing through the line standing almost straight up. If he tries that in the NFL he's going to end up on his back. Also need to look at how explosive he really is because he is built like Devin Taylor and Taylor has always had a problem accelerating due to his long legs and stride. At 290 he should be considerably stronger than Taylor was coming out of college, so maybe being a bit high won't be a big hindrance especially after a couple years in the NFL. Good thing is Kpassagnon has gotten better each season where as Taylor was trending downward coming out of college.

January 22nd, 2017, 10:58 am
Team President - Rod Wood

Early Pipedream draft transform that defensive front

1. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
2. DeMarcus Walker, DE/DT, Florida St
3. Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa
4. Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, Louisville (Quinn doesnt care about beating women anymore)
5. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
6. Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
6. Dan Skipper, OT, Arkansas

January 23rd, 2017, 10:18 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:

4. Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, Louisville (Quinn doesnt care about beating women anymore)

Id be ok with that draft, and if we couldnt get Barnett, I really like Caleb Brantley at DT.

February 4th, 2017, 2:29 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Id be ok with that draft, and if we couldnt get Barnett, I really like Caleb Brantley at DT.

Well, you can take Brantley right off your radar now.

Barnett won't make it to pick 21. Charles Harris is a more likely scenario. But a pass rusher is the top need. If no one is there, then the Lions need to get a linebacker. Their first three to four picks should be on the defensive side of the ball.

April 25th, 2017, 4:19 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Barnett won't make it to pick 21. Charles Harris is a more likely scenario. But a pass rusher is the top need. If no one is there, then the Lions need to get a linebacker. Their first three to four picks should be on the defensive side of the ball.

He was off 3 days ago.

I agree on DL and LB. I don't see Harris being there and definitely not Barnett, so I really would love to see Jarrad Davis.

April 25th, 2017, 8:23 pm

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He was off 3 days ago.

I agree on DL and LB. I don't see Harris being there and definitely not Barnett, so I really would love to see Jarrad Davis.

Even Davis is starting to get projected to go before 21 more and more the closer we get to the draft. I keep seeing a scenario where the Lions either have to go offense at 21 or reach for a guy likely to fall to the first half of the 2nd round.

April 25th, 2017, 9:59 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Philosophical question: Even if Quinn believes the player in question is BPA, should he pass on a TE or WR in the 1st to avoid angering fans? I.e., should the legacy of the M&M years affect his thinking?

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 26th, 2017, 1:17 pm

No and if he does pass on any player because of fan backlash he should be removed.

I have no concern he would ever do that. Quinn has not had any problem doing his own thing, just look at his Mixon statement. He
also learned from the Patriots and they have always drafted their guys with no regard for the opinions of others.

April 26th, 2017, 3:00 pm
3rd Round Selection

Quinn has already stated that he will take the best player available that 'fits' regardless this time around because he feels the roster is in a much better state. At issue, for me, is how do you determine the best player available? Most fans and analysts I've viewed run strictly on a basis of talent alone. Quinn has also stated that BPA will be evaluated in regards to needs. (there is often a need for a tie-breaker)

Somebody is gonna yell no matter who Quinn drafts, but I think the best scenario for fans getting upset is if Quinn trades back when there is a 'need' player available that is a bit of a fan favorite. Oddly enough, I wouldn't have that much problem with that. I think Quinn has a plan and that is why he has stated he is looking for a BPA that 'fits'. I don't think we really know what he means by fits, but I feel certain that regardless of position he will draft any player he feels is the BPA and fits. Or trade back. I think Quinn might even be willing to take a bit less than market value to trade out of a situation in which he either drafts a higher rated talent that doesn't fit or reach for a lesser rated talent that does. No doubt I'm projecting there, but hey...

The biggest howl will happen if they draft Mixon. :twisted:

April 26th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Jafo wrote:
Quinn has already stated that he will take the best player available that 'fits' regardless this time around because he feels the roster is in a much better state. At issue, for me, is how do you determine the best player available? Most fans and analysts I've viewed run strictly on a basis of talent alone. Quinn has also stated that BPA will be evaluated in regards to needs. (there is often a need for a tie-breaker)

Somebody is gonna yell no matter who Quinn drafts, but I think the best scenario for fans getting upset is if Quinn trades back when there is a 'need' player available that is a bit of a fan favorite. Oddly enough, I wouldn't have that much problem with that. I think Quinn has a plan and that is why he has stated he is looking for a BPA that 'fits'. I don't think we really know what he means by fits, but I feel certain that regardless of position he will draft any player he feels is the BPA and fits. Or trade back. I think Quinn might even be willing to take a bit less than market value to trade out of a situation in which he either drafts a higher rated talent that doesn't fit or reach for a lesser rated talent that does. No doubt I'm projecting there, but hey...

I'm still holding out hope that Mixon drops to the Lions 3rd rounder and they draft him. He could easily be the best RB in the draft and at least in the top 3. If you have a HC like Caldwell who is there to build a strong locker room, then adding a Mixon should be no problem and you should be able to spin it as helping to keep a young man on the right path. With the settlement complete everything is set for him to slowly change the narrative from women beater to changed man over the next few years.

April 26th, 2017, 9:40 pm
NFL Team Captain

Jafo wrote:

I would not be surprised to see us trade back, but I doubt it would be to take less than market value. Unless their enamored with who's available, why not trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd in such a deep draft? Makes sense to me.

April 27th, 2017, 8:39 am
RIP Killer

I like the selection of Jarrad Davis. Definitely fills a need, great locker room guy, fast and hits well. I am concerned about durability, because he does seem to want to make the hit more so than making the tackle, ala Louis Delmas. But I think he plays with a bit more control than Delmas. I would have liked to see the Lions perhaps trade down and take him around the 26 spot or later, but apparently Quin said there wasn't any realistic offers being made for the pick.

As for round two, I still want the Lions to go defense, either with a pass rusher or a cornerback. Jordan Willis would be awesome, but I don't think he lasts past the first 10 picks tonight. Daeshon Hall may be a slight reach in round two, but the Lions would have a much better D line with him on it. If Malik McDowell falls that far, the Lions would be wise to snap him up. Talent is there, just needs to work on his motivation if the team is in a losing stretch. Corner wise, I'd wonder if Sidney Jones would fall that far, and if he does do you take him? An Achille's injury to a cornerback can be career ending. Ahkello Witherspoon is a possibility. Kevin King falling to them would be a dream.

In round three, the Lions could go with whatever they didn't get in round two, defensively speaking, or elect to get a power RB like Samaje Perine, whom I think is undervalued. It also wouldn't be out of the question for them to take another linebacker, if they get good value with the pick. Duke Riley or Raekwon McMillan would be awesome that late in the third round.

April 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

m2karateman wrote:
I like the selection of Jarrad Davis. Definitely fills a need, great locker room guy, fast and hits well. I am concerned about durability, because he does seem to want to make the hit more so than making the tackle, ala Louis Delmas. But I think he plays with a bit more control than Delmas. I would have liked to see the Lions perhaps trade down and take him around the 26 spot or later, but apparently Quin said there wasn't any realistic offers being made for the pick.

As for round two, I still want the Lions to go defense, either with a pass rusher or a cornerback. Jordan Willis would be awesome, but I don't think he lasts past the first 10 picks tonight. Daeshon Hall may be a slight reach in round two, but the Lions would have a much better D line with him on it. If Malik McDowell falls that far, the Lions would be wise to snap him up. Talent is there, just needs to work on his motivation if the team is in a losing stretch. Corner wise, I'd wonder if Sidney Jones would fall that far, and if he does do you take him? An Achille's injury to a cornerback can be career ending. Ahkello Witherspoon is a possibility. Kevin King falling to them would be a dream.

In round three, the Lions could go with whatever they didn't get in round two, defensively speaking, or elect to get a power RB like Samaje Perine, whom I think is undervalued. It also wouldn't be out of the question for them to take another linebacker, if they get good value with the pick. Duke Riley or Raekwon McMillan would be awesome that late in the third round.

Agree, really like Willis, Hall, and Witherspoon. Also like DE Demarcus Walker, be a good fit that moves inside to 3 tech. in passing situations. At LB I like Tyus Bowser OLB 6-3, 247 from Houston, good size, he'd be a good fit at Sam and has experience playing in space (pass coverage). Don't think they should take an RB before the 5th unless a special talent falls in our laps in the second. Several good CB's left besides King, who was rumored to be a 1st rounder. We could also see a WR taken by the Lions at some point tonight. Who do you like?

April 28th, 2017, 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next