View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 23rd, 2017, 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Lions 2017 Draft talk 
Team President

Post Re: Lions 2017 Draft talk
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Taco is a player who massively underachieved for 3 seasons and had a good senior year. His draft stock skyrocketed bc he got 2.5 sacks against OSU in the last game but doesnt take into account how badly he played the edge vs the run, namely how undisciplined his play was losing the edge left and right and his athleticism not showing up in space vs Samuel or Barrett. Essentially, Taco barely "beat the clock" with the 3.5 sacks in the last 2 games or else he would probably be a 3rd-4th round player. I cant deny the size and athleticism nor the fact that the NFL is heavily biased towards sacks rather then a well balanced edge defender. I think Taco will be a good but I think it ll be at the back end of that rookie deal with him again barely "beating the clock" taking a few years to refine his game and continuing to learn how to play.

I feel like most NFL teams would be far better off with a player like Derek Barnett who hit the ground running in the SEC and produced throughout 3 great years. He gives up a bit of height to Taco but has a much more complete game, better motor, does better in space, reads and reacts to plays much better and to me is just a better football player. Barnett already knows how to play, he s a natural and he appears to be equal as an athlete. However, this is the time of year where for better or worse, an inch of arm length or height will make big differences to NFL front offices. The Lions may be in a good position to jump on Barnett if players like Taco Charlton rise.

I agree on Barnett, but I can't see him making it to the Lions at 21. His measurements are still quite good at 6'3 265 to fit most schemes and his film is going to be good enough to out weigh other players better measurements. It's a real possibility Taco isn't even around by 21. The DE position is going to be really interesting this year with mock drafts having all the guys after Garrett going in all different orders.

Taco is ahead of Barnett on several early mocks/prospect lists, I obviously disagree with those assessments. I ve seen Barnett listed anywhere from 7-30, obviously way too early to tell what will actually happen.

January 21st, 2017, 2:23 pm
#1 Overall Pick

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Taco is a player who massively underachieved for 3 seasons and had a good senior year. His draft stock skyrocketed bc he got 2.5 sacks against OSU in the last game but doesnt take into account how badly he played the edge vs the run, namely how undisciplined his play was losing the edge left and right and his athleticism not showing up in space vs Samuel or Barrett. Essentially, Taco barely "beat the clock" with the 3.5 sacks in the last 2 games or else he would probably be a 3rd-4th round player. I cant deny the size and athleticism nor the fact that the NFL is heavily biased towards sacks rather then a well balanced edge defender. I think Taco will be a good but I think it ll be at the back end of that rookie deal with him again barely "beating the clock" taking a few years to refine his game and continuing to learn how to play.

I feel like most NFL teams would be far better off with a player like Derek Barnett who hit the ground running in the SEC and produced throughout 3 great years. He gives up a bit of height to Taco but has a much more complete game, better motor, does better in space, reads and reacts to plays much better and to me is just a better football player. Barnett already knows how to play, he s a natural and he appears to be equal as an athlete. However, this is the time of year where for better or worse, an inch of arm length or height will make big differences to NFL front offices. The Lions may be in a good position to jump on Barnett if players like Taco Charlton rise.

I agree on Barnett, but I can't see him making it to the Lions at 21. His measurements are still quite good at 6'3 265 to fit most schemes and his film is going to be good enough to out weigh other players better measurements. It's a real possibility Taco isn't even around by 21. The DE position is going to be really interesting this year with mock drafts having all the guys after Garrett going in all different orders.

Have to agree about Barnett not making it to 21. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top tier of DE's long gone by our pick, and if D-line is the way Quinn goes it could end up being Malik McDowell, who is currently considered the top DT on a lot of boards. I'm slightly indifferent on McDowell, even though I'm a State fan. His first two years were fine, but seemed to lack the same level of play as their season fell apart. There's no questioning his size and talent.
I expect Quinn to address DE's in FA with a mid-level signing or two, then in the draft sometime after our 1st round pick. One kid I find intriguing, that's been ascending the draft boards is Tanoh Kpassagnon 6-6 290 of Villanova. He's been invited to participate in the Senior Bowl and that should be a good barometer of his potential and ability. Here's a link to his highlight video if interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sS0OnaF6Tk

January 21st, 2017, 2:49 pm
Position Coach

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Have to agree about Barnett not making it to 21. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top tier of DE's long gone by our pick, and if D-line is the way Quinn goes it could end up being Malik McDowell, who is currently considered the top DT on a lot of boards. I'm slightly indifferent on McDowell, even though I'm a State fan. His first two years were fine, but seemed to lack the same level of play as their season fell apart. There's no questioning his size and talent.
I expect Quinn to address DE's in FA with a mid-level signing or two, then in the draft sometime after our 1st round pick. One kid I find intriguing, that's been ascending the draft boards is Tanoh Kpassagnon 6-6 290 of Villanova. He's been invited to participate in the Senior Bowl and that should be a good barometer of his potential and ability. Here's a link to his highlight video if interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sS0OnaF6Tk

Tanoh Kpassagnon is really interesting and worth shot if he doesn't rise to high. The only major concern I would have with him is how long his legs are and how high he plays because of it. A lot of his plays in that video are just him pushing through the line standing almost straight up. If he tries that in the NFL he's going to end up on his back. Also need to look at how explosive he really is because he is built like Devin Taylor and Taylor has always had a problem accelerating due to his long legs and stride. At 290 he should be considerably stronger than Taylor was coming out of college, so maybe being a bit high won't be a big hindrance especially after a couple years in the NFL. Good thing is Kpassagnon has gotten better each season where as Taylor was trending downward coming out of college.

January 22nd, 2017, 10:58 am
Team President

Early Pipedream draft transform that defensive front

1. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
2. DeMarcus Walker, DE/DT, Florida St
3. Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa
4. Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, Louisville (Quinn doesnt care about beating women anymore)
5. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
6. Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
6. Dan Skipper, OT, Arkansas

January 23rd, 2017, 10:18 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:
Early Pipedream draft transform that defensive front

1. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
2. DeMarcus Walker, DE/DT, Florida St
3. Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa
4. Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, Louisville (Quinn doesnt care about beating women anymore)
5. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
6. Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
6. Dan Skipper, OT, Arkansas

Id be ok with that draft, and if we couldnt get Barnett, I really like Caleb Brantley at DT.

February 4th, 2017, 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3