View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lions 2017 Draft talk 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions 2017 Draft talk
I'm a big fan of grabbing Duke Riley. He's got wheels and could allow them to move Whitehead back to the Sam. Would love to see McDowell fall in the second, the Lions have added a lot of high character guys since Caldwell arrived and have a great DLine coach to push him. There are a ton of DBs I would be happy to see and on offense I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos Henderson.

April 28th, 2017, 3:42 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Agree, really like Willis, Hall, and Witherspoon. Also like DE Demarcus Walker, be a good fit that moves inside to 3 tech. in passing situations. At LB I like Tyus Bowser OLB 6-3, 247 from Houston, good size, he'd be a good fit at Sam and has experience playing in space (pass coverage). Don't think they should take an RB before the 5th unless a special talent falls in our laps in the second. Several good CB's left besides King, who was rumored to be a 1st rounder. We could also see a WR taken by the Lions at some point tonight. Who do you like?

I did see receiver as a need, but I think Golladay was something of a reach. They probably could have had him in round four. It bothers me that the Lions traded down so far in round three, passing on the chance to pick up players D'Onta Foreman, who I think can be a really good NFL back, or in particular Montravius Adams. I thought Adams would have been off the board in mid round two to early round three. The Lions passed on taking pass rusher Trey Hendrickson to take Golladay, and I have to wonder why. If they wanted a receiver, I think Amara Darboh, Josh Reynolds or DeDe Westbrook would have been better options.

Today, I would like to see the Lions get a pass rusher. Carl Lawson is the only one who kind of stands out at this point. Beyond him, there really aren't any player who I think would even make the team as a defensive end. I would be all in favor of the Lions getting Samaje Perine. Lastly, if the Lions see Jake Butt available at one of their picks, they should take him.

April 29th, 2017, 8:57 am
League MVP

With the Jets (or Jete if you spell like the guy who announced their pick) taking 2 safeties Calvin Pryor is out of a job. He was a first round pick just 3 years ago and has been decently productive. I would offer a late round pick for him.

They're also looking to move Sheldon Richardson for a mid round pick.

April 29th, 2017, 9:04 am

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
With the Jets (or Jete if you spell like the guy who announced their pick) taking 2 safeties Calvin Pryor is out of a job. He was a first round pick just 3 years ago and has been decently productive. I would offer a late round pick for him.

They're also looking to move Sheldon Richardson for a mid round pick.

Problem with getting Richardson is the contract he wants. Thats a lot of money you have to commit on top of losing a pick that you need to sign a depth player to keep your cap hits low enough to fit his deal.

April 29th, 2017, 12:14 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I wouldn't mind seeing Dobbs picked up with one of the 4th round picks. He was inconsistent at Tennesee but if I remember correctly he rarely had a healthy team around him. He came on strong in the post season including the all star games. He is extremely intelligent and loves the game. He could develop into at the very least a solid backup or trade piece in a couple years. At the top he could become a Prescott type pick that gives the Lions a choice on whether they want to pay Stafford in a few years.

I also want to see a thumper but it doesn't have to be Perine, I think he has taken a beating at Oklahoma. I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer and taking Clement from Wisconsin. I'd also like to see a big strong DT to groom as a plug in the middle.

April 29th, 2017, 12:27 pm
RIP Killer

Jaleel Johnson was another guy I liked for the Lions. Pass pressure up the middle is something they need, and Johnson did that. Unfortunately, many of the guys I hoped would drop to the Lions in round four are being taken early.

April 29th, 2017, 12:35 pm
RIP Killer

So........thoughts? I'll start.

Round 1 - LB Jarrad Davis
Seems like more of a need pick than a value pick. Not that I don't like the player. High football IQ, good motor, physical, fast. He's a day one starter, and that's what the team needs. Just seems like a bit of a reach this early.
GRADE: B
Round 2 - CB Teez Tabor
While Davis seemed like a bit of a reach, Tabor is a great value pick here. The slow 40 times are magnified too much. He has good ball instincts, is a willing tackler and has good change of direction. This fills a need, and does it with value. Maybe my favorite Lions pick in this draft.
GRADE: A
Round 3 - WR Ken Golladay
I don't really know much about this player. Good height and speed combination, it seems. I would have preferred to see the team get better value with this pick. I don't think wide receiver was a position that needed to be addressed this early. By trading down with New England (though I liked them getting the extra fourth round pick), they passed up the chance to get either Trey Hendrickson or Montravious Adams. D'Onta Foreman would have been a solid addition as a power running back, which the team really didn't address.
GRADE: C+
Round 4 - LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin
My understanding is that JRM started to rise up some draft boards in the past couple weeks. Why, I'm not sure. The reports I've read say he's good in coverage, plays downhill, but doesn't hit with much authority. His lack of size could end up getting him hurt. Can he get bigger and not lose speed? That remains to be seen. Injury history and missing most of 2016 is why he was available here. Fills a need, but not if he constantly hurt.
GRADE: B
Round 4 - TE Michael Roberts
More need than value. Personally, I think the team should have gambled and taken Jake Butt here. Definitely has the right size to play in the NFL, and his receiving at Toledo is an eye opener. His blocking leaves something to be desired, and he's not as polished as some of tight ends taken after him. If he develops his blocking skills at the next level, he's a steal here.
GRADE: B+
Round 5 - CB Jamal Agnew
Another player I didn't really hear anything about until the draft. Based on what I've heard and read, he's very fast and is a willing tackler in run support. However, his coverage technique is inconsistent and he doesn't match up well against big or 'twitch' style receivers who often get him out of position. It bothers me that they elected to go CB here, when they could have gotten a DT (Davon Godchaux) or DE (Avery Moss), which would have addressed D line needs.
GRADE: C
Round 6 - DE Jeremiah Ledbetter
The Lions got some good value here. Question is, where will they play him? Ledbetter is currently at 280 lbs. Is he a defensive end or defensive tackle? He lacks the bulk right now to play inside and hold up against NFL lineman 30 pounds heavier than him. But he lacks the initial burst off the edge to be effective as a pass rusher. Almost seems like a repeat of last years sixth round pick, Anthony Zettel. Only, Zettel is a better overall athlete. He does give the team depth where it is needed.
GRADE: B+
Round 6 - QB Brad Kaaya
Apparently either the Lions front office either have little confidence in Jake Ruddock as Stafford's backup, or they felt Kaaya was just too good of a value to pass up on here. Many draft experts saw Kaaya as a late third to fourth round talent. They definitely got a deal here. But was he a need? Tough for any of us to know if we aren't familiar with Ruddock's progression at this point. I think he definitely has a higher ceiling than Ruddock, which makes this a solid pick.
GRADE: A-
Round 7 - DE Pat O'Connor
Seems like a camp fodder pick. He has good NFL size (6'4", 270 lbs.) for a defensive end. But little else is known about this guy. He didn't attend the Combine. Off hand, I don't know what his workout numbers were at his Pro Day. Trust in Bob Quin and the Lions scouting staff, I guess.
GRADE: ??

Overall I think it was a pretty good draft. Filled some needs. Added speed at the right spots, and gave the team some depth where it is needed. I'm sure they would have liked to get a pass rusher somewhere, but you can't necessarily fill every need. Good job Lions.

April 29th, 2017, 10:14 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

I haven't really followed the draft this offseason, but I can't complain about the draft. RB has been unproductive position for years, but how much will a more cohesive OL help that? Or how much of a factor was the injuries to the RB situation? It was probably a combination of the two, so hopefully we see an increase in productivity this season.

I agree with M2k about Tabor being my favorite pick. Speed is secondary to technique and if his addition forces QB's to hold the ball even 1 second longer, that improves the front seven.

The front seven was the hardest piece of the puzzle for me to analyze last season. Was it lack of something with the front 4, was it the inefficiency of the LB core, or was it a combination of the two. Levy's absence, Whitehead demanding to play a position he's not his strongest at, and just lack of skill with the depth made that position so weak that if you overlook it, makes it look like the front 4 was terrible, but with any team game, you're only as strong as your weakest player and with Ansah's injuries, there was no one to overcome that weakness. Hopefully Davis raises the level, with moving Whitehead back to his stronger skill set, allowing for a stronger team to be on the field. But who knows.

The Kaaya pick is probably the most intriguing pick for me. Does it say anything about Ruddock, or does it simply show the Pat techniques entering the Lion system? Draft, train and trade for more picks down the road.

Draft alone it still leaves us with a threatening pass rush, so let's see if they add anyone later in the offseason.

April 29th, 2017, 10:44 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
I haven't really followed the draft this offseason, but I can't complain about the draft. RB has been unproductive position for years, but how much will a more cohesive OL help that? Or how much of a factor was the injuries to the RB situation? It was probably a combination of the two, so hopefully we see an increase in productivity this season.

The front seven was the hardest piece of the puzzle for me to analyze last season. Was it lack of something with the front 4, was it the inefficiency of the LB core, or was it a combination of the two. Levy's absence, Whitehead demanding to play a position he's not his strongest at, and just lack of skill with the depth made that position so weak that if you overlook it, makes it look like the front 4 was terrible, but with any team game, you're only as strong as your weakest player and with Ansah's injuries, there was no one to overcome that weakness. Hopefully Davis raises the level, with moving Whitehead back to his stronger skill set, allowing for a stronger team to be on the field. But who knows.

I think the issue with the Lions front seven was a combination of things. The sub-standard linebacker play was the biggest issue. Whitehead did OK as a middle backer, but he doesn't fill the gaps as well as he should. He doesn't seem to be as instinctive as a Mike needs to be. He needs to be pushed back to the strong side spot. Hopefully the pick of Davis will force that. However, the pass rush suffered because the Lions foolishly thought Devin Taylor would be strong off the edge. He wasn't. Kerry Hyder basically replaced him and did well, but he's not a three down DE. Ansah can't seem to get through a season without some sort of injury either severely limiting him, or taking him out completely. I just don't understand why they didn't address getting a pass rusher early. I understand getting values with the picks, which they did in round two. And in round three, the cupboard seemed to be bare. You can't fill every need, so I guess it's just something the team will have to work on.

As for the offense and the rushing game, I think the issue was definitely more the offensive line than the runners. Watching the games, I didn't see consistency of blocks, good running lanes develop, or holes stay open for more than a brief moment. It also didn't help that the Lions were too often playing from behind and forced to abandon the run game. And at times, it seemed JBC abandoned the run game when it was working and the game was close. Hopefully he hasn't adopted Lombardi Syndrome....the disease where an offensive coordinator stops doing what works and tries to force something to work that isn't. Still, the offensive line was addressed in free agency, so the addition of a power back would have been nice.

April 30th, 2017, 9:00 am
NFL Team Captain

I believe the performance in year two of our offensive line rebuild will be a more accurate barometer of where our run game is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis at Mike and Maybin at Will to start the season, actually expect it. Think Tabor will press for time opposite Slay, as Hayden could be inside. As Quinn said following the draft, you have to follow your board on draft day, that's what you've invested time to assemble. No, they didn't fill all the needs. But, I believe they've improved the back seven of our defense considerably with this years draft.

April 30th, 2017, 10:36 am

I believe Maybin will surprise people and be starting by the end of the season as long as his shoulder holds up. He's a natural Will and if it wasn't for the shoulder injury in the spring of 2016 he likely would have been a high 3rd round pick. He had 100+ tackles in both seasons before the injury and I have seen a few people compare him to Levy. As long as the Lions can keep the trash off him, he can move in space and get to the ball quickly. Ideally Whitehead will almost never see the field, he can't shed blocks and he doesn't move well enough for the Will. At the Sam he's probably better than nothing, but he can't bring down runners at the point of impact. What would be really nice is if JRM, Davis, and Williams are good enough to be the primary LBs by mid season if not sooner.

Kaaya to me looks like a guy with enough talent that he will be the back up by next season and we will see Ruddock as the permanent clipboard holder for a long time. I don't think it is a knock on Ruddock that they drafted Kaaya, it's just part of the process Quinn uses. BQ said he's likes drafting QBs often and we all know it's something Belichick likes to do too.

Agnew should have a good chance to boot Diggs off the roster if Diggs isn't still healing from his pec injury and placed on the pup. Agnew has speed that could be very good if the staff can teach him better technique. He also has return skills making him a ST player which BQ wants for his depth players. With Hayden, Lawson, Slay, and Tabor on the roster I think special teams value is going to be very important for the last 1 maybe 2 spots at CB. Seems like there is a good chance the Bademosi experiment is over already. If he gets cut they could get an extra 1.3M back on the cap.

I'm really high on Golladay, I don't think he is a lock to be the 3 WR, but I think he has a decent shot at it. When I read stuff about him from people that seem to have actually watched him play they all rave about is hands and catch radius. The few videos I saw of him show him using his hands to pluck the ball, no double catching or cradling into the body. He's going to get pushed around in the NFL, but if he can get a free release every once in a while I can see him making teams pay for the mistake. Teach him to play the sideline better, move Tate around in the slot and you should have a pretty effective passing attack.

April 30th, 2017, 1:08 pm
NFL Team Captain

Don't sleep on the UDFA's as last year we got Billingsley WR and Cole Wick TE. This years group looks even more intriguing, probably because Quinn's group had much more time to research possibilities.

April 30th, 2017, 5:09 pm
Towel Boy

m2karateman wrote:
Jaleel Johnson was another guy I liked for the Lions. Pass pressure up the middle is something they need, and Johnson did that. Unfortunately, many of the guys I hoped would drop to the Lions in round four are being taken early.

I also agree that Johnson should have been drafted by the Lions instead of Vikings. His foot quickness and hand usage could also create opportunities for him as a pass rusher.

July 2nd, 2017, 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4