View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 John Clayton on Lions 1st Round Interest 
Site Admin

Post John Clayton on Lions 1st Round Interest
Apparently John Clayton remarked on the Lions 1st round interest saying that they are most looking for a wide receiver.

IMO I totally am in agreement with this at this point seems to be possible one of our potential greatest area of strength and could easily become the teams biggest detriment. Am I for this as long as they are drafting Appropriately and not reaching whether they make some sort of trade down for a Clayton or Troy or one of the top fellas fall in their laps. Really I have a lot of confidence in our ability to go to the bench at almost all positions aside from WR.

April 8th, 2005, 8:55 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I would love to see Williams fall to us. If he could add about 15 pounds, he would be the ultimate slot man, creating serious match up problems...or even TE.

April 8th, 2005, 8:57 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Last year I said the Lions would draft a WR in the 1st and I was labeled crazy. No one believed it would happen except for me in that particular instance.

It's kind of ironic that this is being brought up again. However, this time I would label it as crazy, at least at the 10 spot. If we traded down and nabbed someone later in the 1st it would allow me to tolerate it a bit more.

April 8th, 2005, 11:11 am
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

If the Lions could move down to around pick #19 or #20, I would say Mark Clayton would make the most sense. He'd be perfect for the slot. Best route runner in this draft, solid possession guy.

But WR would not be my first choice for round one.

April 8th, 2005, 11:40 am
Hall of Fame Player

IMO One of Two things is going on - Either:

1) Charles Rogers is hurt worse than has been thought and won't be a big contributor this year and therefore we need to invest a 1st round pick into another WR. (3 in a row).

OR,

2) Millen is trying to fake out teams behind us in the draft so that he can trade down 3 - 7 spots and pick up a 2nd rounder. AND, threaten Az Hakim to take a pay cut or be replaced.

I figured we would take a WR in round 3 or 4 anyway (as well as try to sign Cory Bradford). But if CR is really not ready to come back they just might look at Troy Wlliamson with the # 10 spot. (but that's just to high for him).

April 8th, 2005, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This leads me to believe that the Lions do not feel great about CRog. Obviously they have more of a feel on his ability and his health. I know a guy that broke his collarbone all the time...maybe this is the case with him or at least the doctors are suggesting it could be.

I like Mark Clayton a lot as well :wink:

April 8th, 2005, 11:52 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The Lions are looking at a lot of WRs. My theory is that the Lions are weighing trading down. Else, they believe one WR will fall to #10 that is way higher on their board than the first or second DE or the second or third CB.

April 8th, 2005, 12:14 pm
QB Coach

Who was preaching this to the choir a while ago?

Ha... and I was laughed it...

All I have to say, is, my sources never fail! :twisted:

Millen actually said in a press conference that I watched, that he would move up or down in this draft (I was surprised that he said move up), and that he loved Derrick Johnson and Braylon Edwards. He said something to the extent that anyone who ended up with Edwards would be a happy team.

BTW- Edwards toured the Lions facilities today.

April 8th, 2005, 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I think that Rogers may have had two freak injuries but should you hedge your bet? He took some tough hits and spills at msu and came out ok.

The real question is; are you willing to risk a large part of your offensive plans on an often injured player? Not to mention the financial aspect.

I think that M&M hope that Rogers will be ok but are going to pick a receiver as insurance.

Will they go round one? I doubt it. Thats a lot of money tied up in one position in a league with a salary cap.

Round two I can see.

April 8th, 2005, 10:11 pm
Stadium Announcer

That sounds logical enough Wi Lion. beisides the fact that if the lions do stay healthy they have another good receiver. Joey need s all the help he can get at this point!

April 9th, 2005, 1:20 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

If Edwards or Williams fall to the Lions at #10, that would be great, but it won't happen. Honestly, I don't see the Lions choosing a WR in the 1st round. I see them picking Defense in the first round, it's either going to be DJ, Merriman, Spears, Pollack, on of the Cody guys or Roth. I would be shocked if the Lions did not draft one of those guys in the first round.

April 10th, 2005, 4:29 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

...maybe this is the case with him or at least the doctors are suggesting it could be.

I like Mark Clayton a lot as well :wink:
I had had a friend who used to brake the same arm over and over. #-o There must be something to that. I don't have any kind of medical background but it seems to make sense that a bone that's been broken (especially recenty) has a much better chance of being broken again. Does anyone have any knowledge on if that's true or am I just talking out my 5butthead.gif

April 10th, 2005, 5:51 pm
League MVP

Yes. Injuries such as Rogers tend to recur. However in Rogers case, a titanium rod was surgically inserted into his clavicle to prevent recurrences. I actually expect him to be fully healthy for the season, although his offseason upperbody workouts must be limited. Strength is not his game anyways.

April 10th, 2005, 7:02 pm
Water Boy

Other then the fact it has happened twice there is no reason to believe that this will ever happen to Crog again. That being said it has, twice.

Reguardless, the fact remains, if either Roy or Crog are not 100% our offense takes a huge hit. We NEED them healthy or we are screwed. Thats a little scary to me. Trade down, and pick up one of the 2nd tier recievers would be a great plan.

Trading up to grab Mike Williams should also not be overlooked as a possibility. He could flex into a WR/TE prospect for us. Give us a different wrinkle and force teams to gameplan for us for a change.

April 11th, 2005, 9:58 am
Site Admin

To me it just makes a ton of sense. Money just doesn't factor in here because it is going to go to someone. And if you are talking about drafting dfence the same argument can be made there whether it be corner back or now safety or even Dline where we have almost too many guys. If you are going to spend money I think a skilled position is a better investment. IF Crog gets hurt we have potentially still a very good WR core if not then we can have CRAZY ZAINY mismatches in the slot and force teams to play more to protect vs the pass and then KJ has more room to run. It seems like a win-win. People say drafting a WR a 3rd straight year in a row 1st round is crazy but look at what we did for Oline! WR seems to have been a better investment so far talent-wise.

April 11th, 2005, 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next