View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 7:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 49ers to decide pick before draft 
RIP Killer

Post 49ers to decide pick before draft
49ers: Negotiations to open with three top rookies
The News

The 49ers informed the agents of three top rookies that they would like to open contract negotiations in hopes of getting a deal done prior to the draft. The ESPN website reports that the Niners extended negotiation invitations to the agents of Utah quarterback Alex Smith, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards.
Our View
The Niners are rumored to be leaning toward selecting Rodgers with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, but this appears to be a sign that their opinion could change if he makes ridiculous contract demands.

April 8th, 2005, 7:56 am
Hall of Fame Player

April 8th, 2005, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Is it possible that the three agents can engage in "collusion" an not discuss contracts until after the draft?

Wouldn't that be a turn of the tables.

April 8th, 2005, 9:19 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Is it possible that the three agents can engage in "collusion" an not discuss contracts until after the draft?

Wouldn't that be a turn of the tables.

LOL, Three agents and their clients working together!?! laughing4.gif . IMO there is far too much greed in the world for that. Sorry that sounded jaded.

Besides when I look at the money that the top prospects are given before they ever touch the ball in the pro's new_Eyecrazy.gif this is one case I actually feel sorry for the franchise. I mean all three of those guys will be set for life regardless if they are busts or even never play a down.

I bring this up to people when they say things like players like Harrington are overpaid. In a way yes they are, but they're really being paid (in the first few years) for being a top prospect coming out of college, not for anything they're going to do in the pros. My god look at the signing bonuses they get before they ever play a snap! new_Eyecrazy.gif. I know that's the way it works, it's just kind of crazy when you really think about the money involved. It kills me that player saleries can get so crazy yet they need taxpayers to build their stadiums for them. :-({|= ...but I've strayed way off point, sorry.

IMO Rogers is a 90% lock. Nolan really does seem to be putting him at the top, and I don't think there are smoke-screens or head fakes going on here. I think they'll come to terms and Rogers will go #1. Thank god we're almost to draft day! notworthy.gif

April 8th, 2005, 10:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pasta says Smith is the main guy. That makes more sense to me. He seems the better prospect. Darn from a Lions' perspective. I never saw Smith falling out of the top 3. On the otther hand I could see Rodgers fallingout of the top 10. This "switch" might well mean no DJ I am afraid.

April 9th, 2005, 12:01 am
Stadium Announcer

My point was that it would be ironic if these three players said we all want the same money regardless of our draft positions.

That would be the total irony of the situation.

It would blow the whole NFL salary structure.

Just a lark. I Know it won't happen. Stranger things have

April 9th, 2005, 12:20 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I hear ya. And I wasn't trying to dig on you. Just going off on a personal rant on greed & the NFL ect.

Back to the point... Smith may seem to have more upside, but I think the 9ers will take Rogers if he's reasonable. Nolan hasn't even met with Rattay and I think he wants draft someone he thinks he can on start day one. It's not the way I would go, but then, I'm just a fan..."I'll trust in the new coach."

April 9th, 2005, 1:36 am
QB Coach

I think the pick is Rodgers... they are negotiating with Rolle, Edwards, Alex Smith, and Rodgers. Unless Rodgers commands a lofty contract, I just don't see them going another route.

April 9th, 2005, 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I hope they take Rodgers, thats who I have them taking in the game mock draft :D

April 9th, 2005, 10:04 am
Stats Boy

I think the pick is Rodgers... they are negotiating with Rolle, Edwards, Alex Smith, and Rodgers. Unless Rodgers commands a lofty contract, I just don't see them going another route.

well thats where you are wrong. Alex Smith is the guy on their minds right now. it appears they will have a deal worked our in 24-48 hours. Nolan has decided to take the best player not even thinking about money. On ESPN, Sal Palantonio (haven't seen him on that channel since the super bowl) came out of his hole and said the niners are taking smith.

funny, look at this wierd coincidence...

2001 Mike Vick #7
2002 David Carr #8
2003 Carson Palmer #9
2004 Eli Manning #10
2005 Alex Smith #11
2006??? #12??? who knows!

April 19th, 2005, 1:50 am

They always wanted Smith apparently, which makes sense, but they tried to hardball his agent. If we do not pick you 1 overall your client loses money. They will probably not come up with deal and draft him anyway like Manning?

April 19th, 2005, 6:35 am
RIP Killer

I have always thought they would take Smith. I personally think he's the better athlete, smarter player, and the overall better QB. I still don't like the fact that he played out of the shotgun more than most would like, so he'll have to prove what he can do at the next level under center.

However, it would be smarter of Smith to accept a much smaller deal since the #2 QB picked could essentially drop to Arizona or further. That means a lot more than a few million dollars in a deal...probably closer to about $10M in the deal.

I just don't think Cleveland is set on taking a QB. If they don't...we probably won't get DJ IMO.

April 19th, 2005, 7:48 am

Cleveland would have taken Smith I am pretty sure. I could see Rodgers dropping a ways. Peter King thought the Browns might draft Campbell at #3!

April 19th, 2005, 10:11 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I'm still guessing Rogers. Nolan is trying to say he still can't decide who he'd rather have :roll:. I've heard the buzz about Smith but most of the credible stuff I hear & read still says Rogers. There has actually been rumors of trade offers for the #1. IMO I think some if not many teams have Smith rated higher than Rogers, if so than Nolan is well served to make people beleive they're looking to draft Smith whether that's the case or not. Soon we can all stop guessing :arrow: 8)

April 19th, 2005, 6:34 pm

That is plausible also. I have no idea what SF is thinking. Certainly most teams have Smith higher on their boards?

April 19th, 2005, 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next