View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 John Clayton on Lions 1st Round Interest 
RIP Killer

theAlphaMale wrote:
I had had a friend who used to brake the same arm over and over. There must be something to that. I don't have any kind of medical background but it seems to make sense that a bone that's been broken (especially recenty) has a much better chance of being broken again. Does anyone have any knowledge on if that's true?

When a bone breaks and heals, that area of the bone is actually believed to become stronger because the body basically forms a 'weld' around the break. If two metal pieces are welded together, it is usually the weld area that is the strongest part when it is under load. However, it depends on the quality of the weld. If the body doesn't get an opportunity to 'weld' efficiently, the area is weaker. In the case of Charles Rogers, the break occurred in the same bone, but not the same area of the bone. I believe the Lions and CRog made a greivous mistake in not surgically repairing the bone the first time. Even so, it may not have made a difference on the second break, but it would have allowed Charles to start working out sooner. The way to strengthen a bone is to subject it to pressure or load and create microfractures that heal quickly. It's the reason boxers and professional fighters can take the punches and kicks that they do without having a bone fracture, where someone who doesn't train like that would definitely be more prone to a break.

April 11th, 2005, 11:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hope that CRog doesn't injure again, but this is the Lions, the unluckiest team in football. I would not be surprised if he gets injuried again.

April 11th, 2005, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Anytime you put a foreign object into someone's body you increase complication rates and recovery times dramatically. The doctor's made no mistake with Rogers. They were thinking about his health. Operative repair of the clavicle has complication rates approaching 35%. Operation is really only indicated if the displacement of the bone is greater than 2cm...

April 11th, 2005, 10:18 pm

I am no medical doctor, but the one thing I always wondered is if his problem was not physiological but genetic. There are people with brone density problems. Hopefully this is just an isolated problem but you can not think about unbreakable and not shout out Charles BALSA BONES Rogers.

April 12th, 2005, 12:44 am
RIP Killer

I broke my foot a year ago (Jones Fracture) and had a 40mm titanium screw inserted. The doctor told me that due to the location of the break, having a screw put in would help decrease the refracture possibility. However, if I were to start running too soon after my clearance, the refracture rate was MUCH higher than if I were to start training after I had received my clearance without having the screw put in. So yeah, it does strengthen the bone in the long run, but if CRog is to start working out slightly too early, he could be in for another season on IR.

April 12th, 2005, 7:37 am
Bubbles the Lion

I would love to see Mike Williams wearing the blue and white but it is very doubtful. What do you guys think of waiting a couple of rounds and getting a guy like Roscoe Parrish? B/C we really need a slot not so much a #1 or #2 since we have williams and rogers. Tell me what you guys think! :idea:

April 12th, 2005, 5:56 pm
RIP Killer

I think Parrish will go in Rd 2, doubtful we will take him at #41. I like Courtney Roby in the third, I think he would be considered a slight steal at #72. Could even be gone by then. Same goes with Terrance Murphy.

April 12th, 2005, 7:06 pm
Stadium Announcer

Actually, money is an issue in the NFL due to the salary cap.

Now where it's spent is another issue. I don't think that the Lions can afford to tie up the salaries three first round wide receivers and not fall into the SF and GB purgatory. I believe the Lions will pick another receiver, but not in the first round because it is one of the deepest positions in the draft.

They need help on the DL. I believe that BD and Pritchett are in there last years. Hall had a break-out year but had little help on the sack front. Redding seems to be making progress at both DL positions but can he step in and fill shoes? Edwards is toast unless he is a miracle worker in preseason. Bell is good to have back as well as DeVries.

We need to find help at both DL positions to allow for a rotation of players, which was a strong point last year, and the development of future starters.

Looking back on the Super Bowl champions we will see that the majority of champions had effective, if not outstanding DL's.

Pittsburgh, Dallas, GB, NY, NE, CHI, WAS, TB, Raiders, Niners, Dolphins, BAlt, KC, and even the Jets.

April 12th, 2005, 8:05 pm
RIP Killer

I say Luis Castillo in the 2nd. He's a safer pick than Alex Smith (TE) and Josh Bullocks (FS) IMO.

If the Lions went:
1) DE
2) DT
3) WR

I would be tickled pink...that's a weird phrase.

April 12th, 2005, 8:21 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I think the controversy about Castillo has pushed him to the 3rd round and back.

April 14th, 2005, 6:56 pm
National Champion

I think the controversy about Castillo has pushed him to the 3rd round and back.

Wow, if Castillo drops to the 3rd the Lions should grab him.

April 14th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Stadium Announcer

Castillo and Hawthorne have both cost themselves millions in drug related issues.

Castillo was trying to rehab. Hawthorne was getting high.

They both loose.

April 14th, 2005, 9:20 pm

What about Pac-Man's masking agent? That has not really hit the main-stream press. That has a far larger bearing on us by way of the Top 9.

April 14th, 2005, 9:25 pm
Stadium Announcer

We don't want Pac-Man anyway. He was a pain in the butt player with off the field problems in college which will spill over into the pro's.

Why would we take him anyway? Keith "Smart" should have the ability to take over for Bly or Bryant if need be. Cash and Goodman can play the nickle if not the cb position.

Lions need to draft a DL position. Either DT,to replace BG, or DE to compliment Hall.

April 14th, 2005, 10:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not thrilled with Pac-man Jones either. He may be good at the college level; but at 5'10" that's a difficult transition into the NFL. We play against so many tall WR having another undersized person in our secondary won't get it done.

As it is it looks like we have Minnie Me and Herv Villanchez running around in the backfield.

April 15th, 2005, 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2