View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Proposed trade for Darren Howard 
RIP Killer

Post Proposed trade for Darren Howard
So I was thinking of all the trade proposals that have been presented and thought of trading for Darren Howard (who will possibly be traded).

Detroit gets: D Howard and #16 pick
N. O gets: #10 pick

Trade difference between 10 and 16 is 300 points. N.O's 2nd rounder is worth 420 and their 3rd is worth 190. Maybe a third this year and a third next year? Or could we scam em for a 2nd this year?

April 8th, 2005, 10:57 am
Stadium Announcer

I understand the logic on the difference in points on the draft picks. The 10th for the 16th plus two thirds or a second.

But how does Howard fit into the picture? He has to be worth something in compensation unless the Lions are willing to pick up his contract as part of the deal.

And if thats the case can we afford him?

April 8th, 2005, 9:52 pm
RIP Killer

He was franchised for $7.8M. I think we would have to work out a long-term deal w/him if they traded. We wouldn't have to give the Saints anything as far as compensation because he's not a RFA, he's just a franchised player who's pissed and wants a long-term deal.

April 9th, 2005, 8:00 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Darren Howard trade
Hold on a minute...

Howard is under contract for 1 year - that's what the franchise offer he signed is all about. NO owns him. They can make him play and do this again next year, or, they can trade him to whoever they want. They can ask for (and will ask for) something in return. I'm sure the asking price is at least a first round pick, possibly more.

The contract is in that 7.8 mill range but it's all salary - there's no cap hit if they trade him.

Howard would love (and could reasonably expect) something that might be a 4 year, $25 - 30 mill deal, including a $10 - 12 Mill signing bonus; maybe more. (I'm making up numbers but I'm not to far off - low if anything). That would put his cap number for the first year at something in the $3.8 Mill range. Today the Lions have about 3.5 available. (the upcoming draft has a separate cap). So they have to make room by restructuring someone - Hakim and Harrington are obvious targets for that. Also remember they have to save a little room in case someone gets hurt mid season and the need to hire someone.

So the bottom line is we could do it but what to we have to give up to get him.

April 9th, 2005, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Hence the trade. That would be roughly 2 third rounders. Nawleans might think that Howard is equivalent to a second rounder.

Howard can always sit out of camp if he's pissed about the tag...or force a trade. I'm sure lots of other teams will give him hefty long-term deals.

You're right about the deal. He would probably want something around that size of a deal...but I could see an $8M SB a good deal. It would be tough to make it work with signing the draft picks, but it was just a thought.

April 9th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Howard to Detroit
I'm really not sure what NO thinks he's worth. I do know that they where in some intense negotiations with the Cowboys to do a trade but they couldn't come to an agreement and broke off talks. I had intended to try to find out what was being asked for by NO but I got distracted and never found out.

I would do it for a second round this year and again next year but I suspect they want more than that. It's like everything else though - NO will sell Howard to the highest bidder. It's just that the highest bidder also must have cap room to give Howard what he wants.

I will say that Howard can't force a trade - he's signed a contract to play for one year for 7.8 mill. That's a done deal. Sitting out will hurt him more than anything.

April 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

NO would much rather trade him rather than have him sit out or be an rectum in the locker room because he doesn't want to be playing there, hence him "forcing" the trade.

April 9th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

OK... now I see what you mean by "forcing the trade" and I agree with you - they don't want him around if he's going to be a pain.

To be honest I only know about him from a stats and playmaker standpoint. I have no idea what his character is like or if he would be a pain in the locker room.

I know that Donavan Darrious in Jacksonville has been franchised 3 years in a row. (That pays you the average of the top 5 salaries of that position. So it's a nice paycheck but not the big upfront signing bonus money). With Howard at close to $8 Mill - that's a BIG cap number for one guy. I can't imagine they want to do that for to many years if at all. So they definitely have an incentive to deal him.

At the end of the day NO wants a fair value in return for Howard - but the market determines value, not the seller.

April 10th, 2005, 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]