View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 If we take Alex Smith at #10 is Joey gone? 
Cheerleader

Post If we take Alex Smith at #10 is Joey gone?
Alex Smith would look good here in Motown.

April 9th, 2005, 2:38 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

No he wouldnt...were sticking to Joey and thats all there is to it, we might restructure Joey's contract, but he will not be cut, unless he screws up on his make or break year, but I highly doubt he will....

Michael Huff for DROY

April 9th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Post Re: If we take Alex Smith at #10 is Joey gone?
safetyblitz wrote:
Alex Smith would look good here in Motown.

I don't think Millen has enough cojones to pull a stunt like that off, which would shock Detroit, and accelerate Harrington's departure, especially considering he supports Harrington thoroughly.

I'd love it, but 1) I don't see Smith being avaliable at #10 (SF, MIA, CLE, CHI, TB, TEN, and ARI could all take him) 2) He may not be rated high enough on our board to take a chance on him.

April 9th, 2005, 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I don't think that Alex Smith will fall to #10 either. If he did I hope that the Lions don't pick him. When they draft another QB it should be someone in progress for the future because I do believe that Harrington can be successful.

Having said that Tollner needs to follow through on his stated intentions of allowing him to change plays, start from the shot-gun, and throw deep.

April 9th, 2005, 7:12 pm
RIP Killer

Alex Smith won't be selected if he is available at number 10. The Lions have too many other things they can do with that pick that will improve the team more than the pick of Smith. And all this talk about Harrington getting cut should just stop. Killer Kowalski may stick by his guns and say that 'someone in the Lions organization' gave him that info, but for all we know it was the understudy ball boy that spewed that forth. And to his defense, Killer never said it was gonna happen, he said it was an option being discussed. Well, of course it was, because teams will look at EVERY option available to them. Then they disregard the most senseless ideas. Cutting Harrington would fall into that category; senseless.

April 9th, 2005, 7:57 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

As others remarked that is a big IF, still Big Ben fell pas the top 10. It could happen.

In that case, however, like Brees, they might keep Joey. However, the way his bonus is structured and with Garcia in town, it would seem that they would cut him before sinking in the big bonus, unless Garcia was hurt I suppose.

April 10th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I have the Browns taking Smith at #3. If the Browns don't draft him, Arizona will draft him at #8.

April 10th, 2005, 4:51 pm
RIP Killer

As others remarked that is a big IF, still Big Ben fell pas the top 10. It could happen.

In that case, however, like Brees, they might keep Joey. However, the way his bonus is structured and with Garcia in town, it would seem that they would cut him before sinking in the big bonus, unless Garcia was hurt I suppose.

Big Ben falling out of the top ten was only a surprise because most people didn't realize that the Chargers preferred Rivers over him. There was speculation before the draft that there was going to be a trade between the Chargers and Giants, but it was expected to take place prior to SD making their pick. Nobody expected any of the teams picking between (Oakland, Arizona, Washington, Cleveland, Detroit, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Houston) to select a QB unless Manning shook loose past the Chargers.

Also, nobody expected Ben to play as well as he did, or as soon.

April 10th, 2005, 5:22 pm
RIP Killer

I have the Browns taking Smith at #3. If the Browns don't draft him, Arizona will draft him at #8.

I wouldn't be so sure. Arizona has greater needs at RB and CB than at QB.

April 10th, 2005, 5:23 pm
QB Coach

Arizona is definitely giving no interest towards either quarterback in the first round.

April 10th, 2005, 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Mike you are talking specifics and I was speaking in general terms. Players can fall a very long way if the intervening teams have no need for them. QB is also a unique position. If we hadn't picked Harrington and Buffalo did not, he could have dropped a real long way.

April 10th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]