View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Never Too Early - 2009 NFL Draft 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Never Too Early - 2009 NFL Draft
I know that the 2008 draft hasn't happened yet, but it's prudent to look ahead at what might be available next year. At first glance, 2009 looks to be strong at LB (I've been saying this forever), OL, and DE. Therefore, if the Lions don't select somebody high from one of those three positions this year, it might not be a bad thing. Here's four 2009 Mock Drafts:
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2009_nfl_mock_draft.htm
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7999670/2009-NFL-Mock-Draft?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23
http://thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html

I've been touting the 2009 LBs for awhile now and would love to see the Lions get Laurinaitis, Maualuga, or Spikes to play MLB. Others like Beckwith, Cushing, or McRath wouldn't be bad either if they fell to the 2nd. I would have added Sean Lee, but he blew out his knee in spring practice and is probably done for the year.

At OT, Michael Oher is a beast and I was hoping that he would have came out this year. Alex Boone, Max Unger, Phil Loadholt, and Andre Smith are other potential 1st rounders. The interior OL prospects are much better than this year with players such as Alex Mack, George Robinson, and Herman Johnson.

Potential DEs include Tyson Jackson, Michael Johnson, George Selvie, Greg Middleton, Greg Hardy, and Antwan Robinson. So perhaps, the Lions ought to give Alama-Francis a chance this year, and if he doesn't work out, try to get a pass rusher next year.

April 14th, 2008, 3:05 pm
RIP Killer

I don't mind the idea of giving 5-0 a chance and seeing what is there next year. I thought it was funny that the first draft had the Lions #1 pick and one has us at #20. Then one has us taking JL at 7 and the other taking JL at #15.

It isn't to early to stat looking, but it sure is funny sometimes...

April 14th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Now that the 2008 draft is over, a few more 2009 mock drafts have popped up. Unfortunately, one of them has the Lions picking 2nd, while another has them drafting 3rd.

http://fannation.com/blogs/post/185277
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132&univLogin02=stateChanged
http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

April 29th, 2008, 3:30 pm
Modmin Dude

Now that the 2008 draft is over, a few more 2009 mock drafts have popped up. Unfortunately, one of them has the Lions picking 2nd, while another has them drafting 3rd.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132&univLogin02=stateChanged

But that's after we traded all the way up from 32 :wink:

April 29th, 2008, 3:44 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:

But that's after we traded all the way up from 32 :wink:

You counting on the Patriots losing their first rounder again? :lol:

April 29th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Depending upon how some of their younger players develop and where they end up selecting in the draft, I could see the Lions going after these players:

MLBs James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga, or Brandon Spikes. Jordan Dizon would play the Sam in this instance.

DEs Michael Johnson, George Selvie, Greg Hardy, Tyson Jackson, or Greg Middleton. You can never have enough pass rushers and DeVries and Smith are expendable.

DTs Fili Moala, Al Woods, or Sen'Derrick Marks. Darby is older and will need to be replaced in a year or two.

OTs Michael Oher, Andre Smith, Phil Loadholt, or Max Unger. Jeff Backus will need a big year for this not to happen.

April 30th, 2008, 10:00 am
RIP Killer

Nice seeing 4 OSU guys in the first round! Possibly top 15 for all 4.

April 30th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think it depends on how we do with this years draft, I have to say though that I see CB early next year with Kelly being as old as he is

May 3rd, 2008, 10:45 pm
Varsity Captain

I think its sorta silly to try and predict what the Lions will do before the season just because we still have the afterglow so to speak of this draft. If the first 3 or so rounds pan out, all of a sudden the Lions are looking pretty good with needs only at G and maybe DT. I mean if Dizon and Campbell pan out at LB theyre set, Cherilus helps out in a huge way at RT, Fluellen and Avril help bolster the DL, and Smith carries the load at RB the Lions look good.
But realistically i think LB and DT will be the biggest needs next year. I dont think that both Dizon and Campbell will pan out, and while i like Fluellen i think hes a copy of Redding and not a space eater like Rogers.

July 8th, 2008, 3:08 pm
3rd Round Selection

For me it depends on where we pick and who's left. If we're top 5 I want either Oher or Smith but I don't see us being top 5...even with all the question marks I don't see us being top 5....I'd say anywhere from 6-17 or 18 is a possibility....but I do believe we'll be somewhere in there. In that range...idk....I don't really see the kind of DE in this draft that you draft in the 1st round for the Cover 2, that being the elite pass rusher....most of these guys would be a much better fit as rush lbers in a 3-4, I just don't see any of them making it as the pass rusher we need in the cover 2. At LB idk....deffinatly not an ILB, Dizon can not play SAM, he either plays MIKE for us or be busts imo, I don't see him as a SAM. Is there a proper SAM in this draft that's a first round prospect? Could Spikes or Cushing play SAM? Idk, don't know much about them. I don't like the idea of drafting a CB in the 1st round with the Cover 2 defense but if Jenkins was there I don't think I could complain....I wouldn't be rooting for it...but I wouldn't be angry about it either. I don't want any QB that might be in this draft and I unless it's some super prospect I don't like the idea of drafting a G in the 1st round....at least not top 20.

For me personally I don't think Kevin Smith is the answer at RB, I think he can be an ok RB but not the kind of guy that can be a feature back in the NFL so I in that range I think (and I know most of you won't like going offense) with who's likely going to be available I'd go with either Wells or Moreno for a 1-2 punch of Smith and either Wells or Moreno

July 9th, 2008, 3:09 am

LT Xavier Fulton Illinois-Perfect fit for zone in the 2nd-3rd

OL Max Unger Oregon- Possibly Best Zone blocker in this draft available 2nd-3rd

RB/FB Jorvorkie Lane Texas AM-Great college player who can be a FB or change of pace guy much like Felton-4th-5th

CB Victor Harris- Pefrfect fit for our defense in the 2nd

WR Deon Butler is a great player but he is small and share allot of passes with two other good wideouts. McDonalds and possibly Roys depatrue makes it somewhat of a need and can be had late

CB Vonte Davis Illinois-Perfect fit for T2 in the 1st

SAM-Aaron Curry-big, fast, productive LB porbably wont make it out of the 1st

DT Will Johnson-Great fit for the T2 and is reports to run a 4.8 at 300 pounds 5th rounder

OLB Kevin Atkins a 6th round prospect with good speed

We also need to draft a RB at some point in this draft but I dont knwo where

July 21st, 2008, 2:33 pm
Team MVP

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 14th, 2008, 11:34 pm
James Laurinaitis...Definetly!

Easy on that!!!...

Even Steen... The blind-sighted, OSU lover that sees everything through red tainted glasses even realizes that JL is over-rated, and may not be the best LB or even MLB coming out this year!!!...

I'm all for taking a top notch LB, but IMO we have to first look at DE, ESPECIALLY if our younger DEs don't show anything this year (and they surely haven't yet). I like Devrise a lot, but he shouldnt' be anything more than depth. IMO a good DE helps a D much more than a good LB. If we're picking top 10 or top 5, I think it has to be a DE or LT. IMO there aren't many LB's worthy of that kind of pick nor that kind of money... If we're picking outside of the top 10 (unlikely) I think we have to go with the BPA of LT, MLB, and DE positions.

All three are HUGE needs and all three need MAJOR upgrades from highly ranked talent. Another 3rd - 5th round pick isn't going to get it at any of those three spots. We don't need a project player at any of those positions nor do we need more "depth" at any of those three spots. We need talented players to step in and start. We need those wholes filled (along with some others) for this team to be competitive.

September 14th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Litus is soft for sure, personally the guy who would make the biggest impact on our team if he declares is George Slevie. IMO he is this years Dwight Freeney. There are allot of really good LT available this year also and if looking for LT this draft beats last years. I think a good LT could be had with our 2nd rounder. Also I think its important to note there are some very good corners in FA so that helps us out. Hayden and Gamble ebing at the top of my list followed by Buchanon. My favorite though is Gamble becuase he can play outside the system (actually Vonte' Davis is my favorite and I think he will be a HOF but we cant afford to spend a pick on CB.

After watching that packers game I wouldnt mind us sending out Roy for a late first and trade a future pick for another 3rd and grab some guys like RE Slevie and LB Curry in the 1st best LT in the second probably a guy like Merriedeth, Go OL Unger in the and NT Walker in the 3rd, use a 5th on LT Troy Kolog, 6th go saftey and 7th take the best KR we can probably a WR for depth...In FA Get RG Goff and CB Gamble...those are the guys im liking right now

September 16th, 2008, 12:40 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

with the first pick in the draft, the Lions select...

September 16th, 2008, 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next