View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Draft Day Trade 
NFL Team Captain

Post Draft Day Trade
The Lions trade the 10th overall pick and their 3rd round pick to The New Orleans Saints for DE Darren Howard and the 16th overall pick.

With the 16th pick the Detroit Lions select DT Travis Johnson.

Tell me what you think.

April 15th, 2005, 6:24 am
Hall of Fame Player

I love the part about trading # 10 for # 16 and giving up our 3rd round to get Howard. That's a bargin!!

I, personaly, am not thrilled about then using # 16 to pick Travis Johnson.

I would think about sliding down again 3 - 5 spots and get a pick back to replace the 3rd rounder. So at pick # 21 +/- then get Heath Miller or a solid CB (Justin Miller could still be available).

My question is - Have you heard that to be the offer on the table? That just sounds to good to me.

April 15th, 2005, 7:08 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

No offer heard of, just a fantasy of mine. I would love to see Howard in a Lions uniform and still be able to draft 1 or 2 possible starters this year. I like Travis Johnson but also like your idea of trading down again. But if we get Howard we may have to look at quality over quantity in the draft due to cash constraints.

April 15th, 2005, 7:44 am
Hall of Fame Player

jomo269 wrote:
No offer heard of, just a fantasy of mine. I would love to see Howard in a Lions uniform... .

I have a fantasy also. It involves Rebecca Romijn, Angelina Jolie and my fiance and me, and they're not dressed up in a Lions uniform.

And...

jomo269 wrote:
...look at quality over quantity in the draft due to cash constraints.

There's a separate cap / pool for this years draft picks. So any one we draft this year (Howard would not count in that - we would have to make room under the regular cap) would be OK, we wouldn't have to worry about cash so much.

April 15th, 2005, 8:06 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

From what I've heard, IF N.O. wanted to trade Howard for draft picks, they wouldl be looking for a 2nd rounder or a first at best. So the difference between the spot switching in the first round is 300 points. if we swapped spots and got Howard, we would be saying he's worth a late 2nd rounder (60th overall pick). I can't see N.O giving up Howard and a third rounder for switching spots in Round 1.

Trade difference between 10 and 16 is 300 points. N.O's 2nd rounder is worth 420 and their 3rd is worth 190. Lions 2nd rounder is worth 480 and their 3rd is worth 220.

April 15th, 2005, 8:07 am
NFL Team Captain

N.O. wouldn't be giving up a 3rd round pick, the Lions would. #10 pick and a 3rd for Howard and the #16.

Also I didn't know that the rookie pool was separate from the overall cap. I would still be willing to give up picks for 2 or 3 quality players. JMO

April 15th, 2005, 8:18 am
RIP Killer

If we were to swap spot and give up a third, that would be equal to 520 points (equivalent to pick #38 overall). If we were to trade (moreso, if there was someone N.O really wanted at #10), would they really want a 3rd rounder in exchange? 2nd round holds much more value, which is what I think they're looking for.

In that case, I would think we're better off taking our chances in the draft. DE isn't that pressing of a need IMO. If we had 2 first rounders, I would definately give up a 2nd for Howard.

This would be a very good trade for Dallas, whom N.O is talking with. They have 2 first rounders and wouldn't have to take a DE with one of those picks. I think a speedy, pass rushing OLB and a WR would be great first round picks for Dallas.

April 15th, 2005, 8:35 am
Hall of Fame Player

... I think a speedy, pass rushing OLB and a WR would be great first round picks for Dallas.

You read yesterdays mock draft!!

April 15th, 2005, 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

...If we were to trade (moreso, if there was someone N.O really wanted at #10), would they really want a 3rd rounder in exchange? 2nd round holds much more value, which is what I think they're looking for. ...

I suspect you're right they want more. But you bring up an interesing point... and that is; Who do they want?

I'm sure they have an interest in Alex Smith (QB) but they could do that trade and he may not be there.

April 15th, 2005, 8:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Haha, that I did. I didn't really look at all the picks though, just the scanned it real quick to see if I thought any were "way out in left field." Good mock.

I think Dallas should pick a WR like Williamson at #11. But then again...I don't think Bledsoe has a cannon to throw a sweet deep ball. It'll depend on how their QB situation plays out. Mainly because Williamson is a one dimensional player built for speed.

Would be interesting to see Merriman lining up as strictly a pass rushing OLB.

April 15th, 2005, 8:51 am
RIP Killer

I have no idea who they would want. I don't follow the Saints at all. After the Lions, my 2nd favorite team is the Bengals. Don't really know why. I guess it was because 3 years ago when i was flying home from Iowa, I had a layover in Cincy. So I was sporting a Lions hat and some old guy was raggin' on me about wearing it so he decided he had to buy me a Bengals hat. I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, but either way, a free hat. Ever since then I've been a fan.

Back on topic...DJ at OLB is the only person I could see being available at 10 that they would seriously need. SS, TE, and DT would all be picks around #16 (Thomas Davis, Heath Miller, Travis Johnson) that would fill N.O's primary needs.

I think the Bengals will offer N.O a one spot trade up because Cincy could really use Travis Johnson and N.O could take him. That would be an unlikely trade if any other trade offers were made to N.O though. N.O and Cincy both have DT and SS as primary needs.

April 15th, 2005, 8:59 am
Stats Boy

Post Re: Draft Day Trade
jomo269 wrote:
The Lions trade the 10th overall pick and their 3rd round pick to The New Orleans Saints for DE Darren Howard and the 16th overall pick.

With the 16th pick the Detroit Lions select DT Travis Johnson.

Tell me what you think.

no, chance.

April 17th, 2005, 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]