View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 HB's Detroit Lions Draftboard 
NFL Veteran

Post HB's Detroit Lions Draftboard
I just needed a place to keep track of my board since it changes sometimes. Recently considering Mike Williams impact has made him shoot up my board.

Player Board

1. Derrick Johnson LB Texas - His complete package is the final piece of our defense.
2. Mike Williams WR USC - Monopolizing the top receivers the past 4 years would work wonders for our offense. I can't even imagine a package of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams Kevin Jones and Mike Williams... that's just crazy.

3. Antrel Rolle CB Miami - I think the lions are looking at him for free safety. Apparently they feel like Keith Smith is the future at corner over Bryant and I've heard he could take Bryants job this year. I don't know if I believe that. But if he is what they say he is a secondary with Bly and a pro-bowl caliber Keith Smith with Kennoy Kennedy and Antrel Rolle would be crazy. Even if Smith isn't that great, I would be happy with Holt at Free safety and Rolle playing Corner opposite Bly.

4. Shawne Merriman DE Maryland - Him being so high on my board goes against my principles. He lacks experience, is playing at a new weight... and is a workout warrior. He is exactly the type of player I shy away from as I would give his type a higher bust quotient. But.. I just can't ignore his measurables and it's a weak draft class where a lot of the blue-chippers don't really fit the needs of the Lions.

5. Braylon Edwards WR Michigan - Why is he lower than Mike Williams? It's the mental aspects of his game. The sometimes lapses of concentration and dropped balls versus MW's focus are what do it for me. Plus Mike's got size and strength on him which would provide another complementing weapon to our pair of receivers. Braylon is star but I'm not so sure how he would fit in with our receivers.

6. Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn - The size, the big games, the athleticism... he's a much more pure corner than Rolle, more fluid but safety is a bigger need than corner so Rolle is rated higher. Pacman is small and disappeared in big games... I don't know why he's the top corner on a bunch of other boards.

7. Aaron Rodgers QB California - A waste of money me thinks... but darn it, he's value at 10. I hope at least one QB is off the board before we pick because if Rodgers is available that just means one of the guys we targeted are gone.

8. Alex Smith QB Utah - Weaker arm than Rodgers and the fact that he played in the shot gun his entire career. Meaning he would have to come in and learn the WCO which is a series of timing patterns consisting of various 3, 5 and 7 step drops... and Joey is still learning them. lol. Otherwise I like everything else about him.

9. Adam Pacman Jones CB WVU - Maybe the most fluid corner... but lacks the size of the other corners.

10. Erasmus James DE Wisconsin - Has the most upside for a DE... but... the injury history kills his stock more than anyone else on the board.

I'm willing to trade down if DJ doesn't fall and would listen to trade offers even if he did fall. You all know DJ is the only guy I would trade up for. But I think they would get value trading up for Rolle, Edwards and Mike Williams as well. Mike Williams has ridden his way to number 2 because he basically could do to our offense what DJ would do to our defense. We use injuries to Boss and shifting Teddy to Mack to make room for DJ as reasons to go after DJ. So I suppose we can use Charles injury as a reason... and use more 3 wide-sets, be it single back formations or no tight-ends. After reanalyzing my theory of just taking the biggest impact player I noticed that my draft board had holes in it. I was basically ignoring offense and had been set on going defense this draft.

Rumors that Holmes is on the chopping block increase me targeting DJ even more... as if increasing my desire for DJ anymore than I already do is possible.

Draft board (with moves)
1. Derrick Johnson (Trade up if need be)
2. Trade Down
3. Mike Williams
4. Trade for Future pick(s)
5. Antrel Rolle
6. Shawne Merriman
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Carlos Rodgers
9. QB: Rodgers or Smith
10. DE: James, Pollack, Cody, Roth

Alrighty then... we'll see if this changes anytime soon.

April 9th, 2005, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Where's Pollack? I am kidding, of course, but that is our major point of disagreement.

Seriously, I would to see your second and especially third round guys. I have little sense about who we are targeting there.

April 9th, 2005, 11:44 pm
NFL Veteran

lol. It's a work in progress. I think we are only going to get one starter this season from this draft and that's in the first round. I approach the rest of the draft as adding quality depth and for future needs. But I promise I will divulge the rest of the analysis on rd 2+ prospects.

FWIW Pollack has jumped from dead last in my first round DE list over Cody, Roth, and Tuck to 4th behind Spears. I can't ignore what we both agree is the best indicator of judging a prospect, which is what they've done on the field... but Pollack is making short work of what many prognosticators have basically knocked him on: his tools. His outstanding workouts can't be ignored. Other than short arms... there's not much more to dock the man on. I guess people can choose to believe a report from a third-rate source about 'attitude problems,' but really there's nothing wrong with Pollack. Why doesn't he leap-frog Spears? Spears is a freak being so athletic despite carrying all that weight. But the 12.5 sacks might make me change my mind on how I rate the two on some days.

April 10th, 2005, 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I don't know why so many people have Williams over Edwards. Braylon should be rated higher simply because he played last year and Williams did not. I think the rust factor will be major hurdle for Williams. Don't get me wrong he has the potential to be a superstar, but come September, it will be almost 2 years since he last played. He has kept himself in great shape, but he will still be rusty.

The idea of putting Antrelle Rolle in the FS postion is crazy. I highly doubt that would ever happen.

April 10th, 2005, 4:47 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Most teams draft based for the future. Those teams picking at the top of the draft arent going anywhere this year or next. Just bc Edwards has played more recently shouldnt affect those teams. They are looking at a couple years down the road. Williams has shown through workouts that he has been keeping himself in great shape. IMO he is better than Edwards. Teams thinking Edwards is better will take Braylon 1st.

April 10th, 2005, 7:08 pm
Stadium Announcer

April 10th, 2005, 11:36 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't know why so many people have Williams over Edwards. Braylon should be rated higher simply because he played last year and Williams did not. I think the rust factor will be major hurdle for Williams. Don't get me wrong he has the potential to be a superstar, but come September, it will be almost 2 years since he last played. He has kept himself in great shape, but he will still be rusty.

The idea of putting Antrelle Rolle in the FS postion is crazy. I highly doubt that would ever happen.

I think you've got the national perception wrong. Most actually do rate Braylon higher. Rating Mike higher is the more unpopular pick. But I'm judging both on what I've seen them do in college. And I've decided Mike Williams to be the better pro.

If we draft Rolle I could bet we would play him at safety.

April 11th, 2005, 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]