View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:04 am



Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft. 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7457
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft.
I thought it would be cool to have a thread here that gives some info on college players that could plug a hole/ fill a role for the Lions next year.

If you see an interesting player with NFL potential and would fit the Lions needs, post his info here. It doesn't have to be a first rounder, or even the position you think the Lions are in the most desperate need of. Just an ever growing list of players for everyone to keep an eye on.

I'll go first:

While I love Jason Hanson as much as I loved Eddie Murray, after 17 seasons, it is time to start seeking his replacement. I also envision the day that NFL teams begin using 1 guy to do both the Punting and the Kicking. It would free up a roster spot for other positions and be more cap friendly. (Some people here have the idea that the Punter is the back up Kicker and vice versa, which is currently true.) However, I dare say that every team in the NFL has at least 5 position players capable of filling in in a pinch. ( Players that regularly participated in Punt, Pass, and Kick contests). Therefore, I submit to you:

Louie Sakoda PK/P SR. Utah

First-team All-America punter by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and CBSSports.com ... first-team All-America place kicker by Rivals.com ... second-team All-America punter by SI.com ... Ray Guy and Lou Groza award candidate has started at punter since his true freshman season and as the place kicker for the past two years ... two-time Mountain West Conference Special Teams Player of the Year (2006-07) ... enters his senior season as the school's career field goal percentage leader (83%) and is approaching several school punting and place kicking career records (see Career Record Watch) ... named MWC Special Teams Player of the Week seven times in his career ... has had 43% (80-of-186) of his career punts downed inside the 20-yard line ... 17 career punts downed inside the 5-yard line ... made 56 consecutive PATs from 2006-07 ... ranks fourth among active NCAA FBS punters in career punts (186) and punt yards (7,831) ... ranks first among the active dual punter/kickers in career punts and punt yards, and second in career yards per punt (42.10) ... three-time Academic all-MWC student carries a 3.70 cumulative GPA in business ... member of Utah's Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Sure, I learned about him only because his team kicked the crap out of the Wolverines. ( Yes, they dominated much more than the final score indicated.) But, I believe he is the poster child of the future P/PK position.

He might still be available in the 2nd round. But, at this early date, that would be impossible to predict yet.


August 31st, 2008, 4:00 pm
Profile
Peewee Leaguer
User avatar

Joined: August 28th, 2008, 8:55 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Allentown, PA
Post 
Cornerback Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State I've been hearing a lot about...looks like a stud

here's a write up about him: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_ID=1216


I can see him going top 5 though, so the only way we would snag him is if we had another awful season :cry:

_________________
Bring back the Run and Shoot!


August 31st, 2008, 5:30 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: November 16th, 2005, 9:06 pm
Posts: 604
Location: Southern California
Post Re: NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft.
BillySims wrote:
I thought it would be cool to have a thread here that gives some info on college players that could plug a hole/ fill a role for the Lions next year.

If you see an interesting player with NFL potential and would fit the Lions needs, post his info here. It doesn't have to be a first rounder, or even the position you think the Lions are in the most desperate need of. Just an ever growing list of players for everyone to keep an eye on.

I'll go first:

While I love Jason Hanson as much as I loved Eddie Murray, after 17 seasons, it is time to start seeking his replacement. I also envision the day that NFL teams begin using 1 guy to do both the Punting and the Kicking. It would free up a roster spot for other positions and be more cap friendly. (Some people here have the idea that the Punter is the back up Kicker and vice versa, which is currently true.) However, I dare say that every team in the NFL has at least 5 position players capable of filling in in a pinch. ( Players that regularly participated in Punt, Pass, and Kick contests). Therefore, I submit to you:

Louie Sakoda PK/P SR. Utah

First-team All-America punter by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and CBSSports.com ... first-team All-America place kicker by Rivals.com ... second-team All-America punter by SI.com ... Ray Guy and Lou Groza award candidate has started at punter since his true freshman season and as the place kicker for the past two years ... two-time Mountain West Conference Special Teams Player of the Year (2006-07) ... enters his senior season as the school's career field goal percentage leader (83%) and is approaching several school punting and place kicking career records (see Career Record Watch) ... named MWC Special Teams Player of the Week seven times in his career ... has had 43% (80-of-186) of his career punts downed inside the 20-yard line ... 17 career punts downed inside the 5-yard line ... made 56 consecutive PATs from 2006-07 ... ranks fourth among active NCAA FBS punters in career punts (186) and punt yards (7,831) ... ranks first among the active dual punter/kickers in career punts and punt yards, and second in career yards per punt (42.10) ... three-time Academic all-MWC student carries a 3.70 cumulative GPA in business ... member of Utah's Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Sure, I learned about him only because his team kicked the crap out of the Wolverines. ( Yes, they dominated much more than the final score indicated.) But, I believe he is the poster child of the future P/PK position.

He might still be available in the 2nd round. But, at this early date, that would be impossible to predict yet.


I like the idea of having a p/pk in one roster spot until that p/pk pulls a hamstring.

_________________
Lions! Dodgers! and Beers oh my!


August 31st, 2008, 7:48 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Personally I think our biggest need next year is LT...nothign short of a miracle Backus should be out the door, that said I have two guys im keeping an eye on.

LT Xavier Fulton of Illinois 6' 5" 300 pounds
Fulton is a former defensive lineman so you know he has a mean streak. He is also freakishly athletic for an OT running under a 5 second forty. He is a 2nd rounder prospect who could be a starter for us

OL Max Unger of Oregon 6' 5" 300 pounds
Unger started 2 years at LT and is moving into his second year starting at OC of the Ducks. He is considered the best zone blocking player in the country by some. Depending if pros look at him at LT or OC will determine where he is projected but right now I would say late 2nd early 3rd

LT Andrew Gardner of Georgia Tech 6'6" 300 pounds
Very productive LT who opened up wholes for Tashard Choice and is ideal for zone blocking scheme.

The other spots I think that need help are LB and CB depth. looking ahead at this draft I would like to see us trade out of the first but if we do keep our first I would like to see us bag

SAM Aaron Curry of Wake Forest 6-3 247 pounds
He is not only big and fast but is productive. He has everything you look for but if some juniors declare could be pushed down the draft some.

At CB the guy I like is
CB Victor Harris of V Tech

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


August 31st, 2008, 11:54 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: July 7th, 2007, 11:56 am
Posts: 192
Post 
He might still be available in the 2nd round.

So even though the Lions have not made the play-offs in over 10 years and as of today, place kicking and punting are NOT problem areas for the team, you feel they should spend their first or second round pick next year on this Kicker you never heard of until 2 days ago.

You are aware that most kickers are not drafted until the last round or signed as free agents. Only one kicker in last 15 years has gone in first or second round and that is Oakland with Sebastian Janikowsky who I believe has never made a pro bowl.

It is a good thing everyone on this web site is smarter than Millen. Or we would REALLY be in trouble.


September 1st, 2008, 2:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7457
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
columbuscrowd wrote:
He might still be available in the 2nd round.

So even though the Lions have not made the play-offs in over 10 years and as of today, place kicking and punting are NOT problem areas for the team, you feel they should spend their first or second round pick next year on this Kicker you never heard of until 2 days ago.

You are aware that most kickers are not drafted until the last round or signed as free agents. Only one kicker in last 15 years has gone in first or second round and that is Oakland with Sebastian Janikowsky who I believe has never made a pro bowl.

It is a good thing everyone on this web site is smarter than Millen. Or we would REALLY be in trouble.


Did I say I wanted the Lions to draft him in the 2nd round? NO, I didn't. And while I agree that Punting and Kicking are not problem areas right now, Jason Hanson is not a spring chicken anymore and he ain't getting any younger. Hanson is in his 17th NFL season. How much longer do you think he can keep going? Heck, he already had a pulled hamstring this year.

And for another thing. Didn't the Lions draft Hanson as our 2nd pick in the 2nd round of the 1992 draft? YEP. YES WE DID. That's a long way from the 7th round there :!: ALSO Didn't we draft Jason Hanson even though we had Eddie Murray, who at the time was still a very productive Kicker but, was in the same general area of his career that Hanson is now in?

And for yet another thing. Just because I just found out about this guy does not mean all his stats are invalid. I generally don't pay any mind to the Mountain West Conference.

If you would have read, ( OOPS, your a Buckeye, you probably can't read very well. <------ That's only a joke.), this whole thread is just a place for people to mention any college player they want people to keep an eye on. In no way does it mean that WE HAVE TO DRAFT THIS GUY OR THAT GUY.
It's just a study thread for the next draft as it pertains to the Lions.


September 1st, 2008, 2:59 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3717
Location: WSU
Post 
lions will not draft good players


September 10th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Profile
Varsity 1st Team

Joined: January 26th, 2007, 3:51 am
Posts: 275
Post 
Michael Oher-LT Mississippi is projected to go in the first round.

LB- Ray Manulagula (I most likely spelled that wrong) from USC and James Laurinitis from OSU should both be top 15 picks at LB to keep an eye on.


September 11th, 2008, 12:38 pm
Profile
Post 
Stallion wrote:
Personally I think our biggest need next year is LT...nothign short of a miracle Backus should be out the door, that said I have two guys im keeping an eye on.


While many on here (myself included) think that Backus has to go, the team doesn't. The team is seemingly inlove with Backus, his talent, his heart, and his durability. I really don't see us drafting a LT next year in the first round.

Sven Draconian wrote:
Michael Oher-LT Mississippi is projected to go in the first round.

LB- Ray Manulagula (I most likely spelled that wrong) from USC and James Laurinitis from OSU should both be top 15 picks at LB to keep an eye on.


If we can get James Laurinitis with our first round pick, or some other MLB stud, it's a MUST DO. Our LB corps sucks BIG TIME. In fact, it is probably the worst LB corps in the entire NFL. The one problem is it will invalidate the Jordan Dizon pick, but who cares... It doesn't look like the kid is a starting claiber MLB right now, and I don't think he has as big of an upside as player X who is rated to go in the first round. I see Jordan Dizon as nothing more than a younger Paris Lennon... A weaker, smaller LB that has some speed, but should never be anything more than depth. Can someone his size succeed? Sure, but this team needs a stud MLB to shore up the D.

IF we continue to run with Dizon, Sims, and X we should draft EITHER a true SSLB, or a DE. Our front 7 on the defense is absolutely TERRIBLE.


On a side note:
As long as Jason Hanson is healthy, wants to play and wants to be a Lion, there is NO WAY we should be drafting a kicker in ANY round. Utah's kicker is definitely a stud, but we can't cut ties with Hanson after all these years, that would simply be bad business and make us look foolish to any incoming player or FA. Regardless of whether or not Sakoda is going to be a great kicker for years to come, we have to stay committed to Hanson. I wouldn't mind terribly if we cut Harris to sign Sakoda, use Sakoda as a punter for now, and our potential replacement for Hanson, but anything else is simply not feasible, IMO.

That said, I definitely would not advise taking any kicker this year until at least the 4th round. We need OG, DE, and LB in the first three rounds.


September 11th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post 
Stallion,
You were right about Tanard Jackson, kids a player. You were all over him when he came out. With that being said, I'll keep an eye on Victor Harris.

_________________
Forward down the field!


September 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
I feel that Laurinitis and Maualuga are vastly overrated as prospects. IMO the best LB in this draft is Aaron Curry. He not only has the production in both the run and pass game but has the best size speed combo. Its been reported that he could run in the 4.5 40 area at almost 260. He reminds me of a better version of Adalius Thomas. He would play all the LB spots and even could probably move to DE (dont want that but he has that kind of ability.

In general I feel this class is better for OLB then it is MLB. If Brandon Spikes comes out however I feel he would be a good fit for us.

Also the draft is possibly as deep as last year for OT if some Juniors Declare. Eugene Monroe, Alex Smith, Michael Oher could all go top 10 with Ciron Black and a couple others could sneak into the 1st. Fulton hasnt played as well as I thought so far but guys like Jamon Merrideth, Jason Smith, Jason Watkins, and my favorite right now Troy Kropug

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


September 13th, 2008, 11:24 am
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3219
Location: Maryland
Post 
Watching Florida-Tennessee today. Spikes has a big mouth but he looks darn good.


September 20th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
I'm officially on the draft Michael Johnson bandwagon. I'm here in ACC country and this kid is a freak.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=461188
Associated Press wrote:
ATLANTA (AP) -- Mississippi State quarterback Wesley Carroll couldn't come up with Michael Johnson's name, but he sure knew the number.

"That 93 is a heck of an athlete," Carroll said after Johnson led the Yellow Jackets' defense to a 38-7 rout of the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Johnson blocked a field goal, deflected two passes, recovered a fumble and had a fourth-down sack. By the time the 6-foot-7, 260-pound senior was through disrupting Mississippi State's efforts on offense and special teams, Carroll had seen enough.

"He's great," said Carroll of Johnson. "They had a real strong pass rush. Their front four played really well."

Georgia Tech had seven tackles for losses, five pass breakups and two interceptions. Backup defensive end Jason Peters had two sacks.

[...].


I'd be very happy with an OT in round 1, especially Eugene Monroe, but Johnson has looked amazing to me in the two games I've watched.


September 23rd, 2008, 2:33 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
He has been pretty good this year so far...but Slevie is IMO still #1 defensive player in the draft

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


September 23rd, 2008, 7:09 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
Stallion wrote:
He has been pretty good this year so far...but Slevie is IMO still #1 defensive player in the draft


I love Selvie but he'll be a 3-4 OLB probably.


September 23rd, 2008, 9:26 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.