View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft. 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Stallion wrote:
He has been pretty good this year so far...but Slevie is IMO still #1 defensive player in the draft

I love Selvie but he'll be a 3-4 OLB probably.

and if I remember what I saw correctly on ESPN's ticker... Selvie is not producing like he was last year.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 23rd, 2008, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
Stallion wrote:
He has been pretty good this year so far...but Slevie is IMO still #1 defensive player in the draft

I love Selvie but he'll be a 3-4 OLB probably.

and if I remember what I saw correctly on ESPN's ticker... Selvie is not producing like he was last year.

True, he is not producing. But that is because teams are routinely double teaming him and even having a third player chip block him. I've watched a couple South FLA games, and despite the double teams he still gets penetration into the pocket a pretty good amount of times.

I think Selvie has the size and athleticism to play either DE in a 4-3 or move to OLB in a 3-4.

September 23rd, 2008, 12:30 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The problem with Selvie is he is more an athlete than a football player right now. He has a long way to go as far as technique and how to play the position at the next level. Right now he gets by on his athleticism and beating guys around the corner with his speed. If he doesn't learn to utilize a couple different moves NFL OTs will just take that edge away from him until he proves they can beat them a different way. Right now he is definately a better 3-4 OLB option. In that role he can be disguised and attack from different spots.

Outside of the normal names that get thrown out there I'm interested in seeing how Jamaal Westerman looks when it comes to individual workouts.

September 23rd, 2008, 4:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've kinda soured on both Maualuga and Laurinaitis after watching each of them play two games this season. But, as mentioned earlier by Stallion and ILF, Brandon Spikes seems to be the real deal at MLB and would be a good fit. IF the Lions are able to trade Roy for a late 1st round pick, he just may be available around that spot.

As for the Lions' own 1st round pick, it looks like it's going to be a top 5 selection unless things get turned around. In that case, the two guys I'm looking at are OT Michael Oher and QB Matthew Stafford, but I could see SL taking Oher with KC going for Stafford if those teams end up drafting ahead of the Lions.

September 26th, 2008, 11:17 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Right now Im hoping we can Trade Roy for a late first and then draft a combo of Eungen Monroe/Micheal Oher...Alex Mack/ Jonathen Luigs...Brandon Spikes/Aaron Curry

September 29th, 2008, 11:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Stallion, I've been thinking along the same lines as you are. If they can get a late 1st for Roy, I'd go OT, LB, OG in that order. But, they may decide to go with another defensive player in the 2nd round since it appears that interior offensive linemen could be deep next year and a good one could be had in the 3rd.

September 30th, 2008, 10:59 am

If I had my way my OL next year would look like this

LT-Oher or Monroe
LG Mulitalo
OC- Mack or Luigs
RG Mike Goff
RT- Goz

I would spend a later pick on OG though.

September 30th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I've kinda soured on both Maualuga and Laurinaitis after watching each of them play two games this season. But, as mentioned earlier by Stallion and ILF, Brandon Spikes seems to be the real deal at MLB and would be a good fit. IF the Lions are able to trade Roy for a late 1st round pick, he just may be available around that spot.

As for the Lions' own 1st round pick, it looks like it's going to be a top 5 selection unless things get turned around. In that case, the two guys I'm looking at are OT Michael Oher and QB Matthew Stafford, but I could see SL taking Oher with KC going for Stafford if those teams end up drafting ahead of the Lions.

Spikes is a very undisciplined player, especially for a MLB. Maualuga has looked more vulnerable early, but he has been a playmaker his entire college career. Spikes instinct at MLB are lacking if you want my opinion.

October 1st, 2008, 1:56 am
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Just to keep my insomnia post streak going ..

A few guys I've seen at the top of mocks I've seen play:

Michael Johnson, DE from GT - He might be the most raw player I've ever seen projected to go in the top 5. He is more raw then Mario Williams, but the same type of physical freak. He is a potential pro bowler off the edge, but it's hard to say with DE's.

Matt Stafford, QB from UGA - The only real pro looking QB I've seen so far. Great arm, fluid mechanics, can make all the throws. Like most QB's, he'll look better on Sundays then Saturdays with the better talent around him. This is his first year with a vertical threat (AJ Green who is a freak) so he has finally been able to showcase how good he can be. But this team cannot afford a QB early.

George Selvie, DE/OLB from USF - Good motor, but he's a 3-4 OLB. Probably on par with Gholston from last year. I don't expect much from him.

Taylor Mays, S from USC - Freak of nature physically. Could be Ed Reed or he could be Roy Williams. Either way you'll know he's back there. Will be great for the highlight reel hit, but his coverage skills worry me.

Michael Oher, OT from Ole Miss - Physical freak. Still very, very raw. He'll be a top 10 pick, and worth a look, but that's a lot of money to have tied up in three tackles.

Just a couple of observations for now.

I'm working on my mid year top 100 college list. I've seen about 55-60 games so far so I need to do some more work, but I should have it farily soon.

October 1st, 2008, 2:06 am

Michael Johnson, DE from GT - He might be the most raw player I've ever seen projected to go in the top 5. He is more raw then Mario Williams, but the same type of physical freak. He is a potential pro bowler off the edge, but it's hard to say with DE's.

Matt Stafford, QB from UGA - The only real pro looking QB I've seen so far. Great arm, fluid mechanics, can make all the throws. Like most QB's, he'll look better on Sundays then Saturdays with the better talent around him. This is his first year with a vertical threat (AJ Green who is a freak) so he has finally been able to showcase how good he can be. But this team cannot afford a QB early.

George Selvie, DE/OLB from USF - Good motor, but he's a 3-4 OLB. Probably on par with Gholston from last year. I don't expect much from him.

Taylor Mays, S from USC - Freak of nature physically. Could be Ed Reed or he could be Roy Williams. Either way you'll know he's back there. Will be great for the highlight reel hit, but his coverage skills worry me.

Michael Oher, OT from Ole Miss - Physical freak. Still very, very raw. He'll be a top 10 pick, and worth a look, but that's a lot of money to have tied up in three tackles.

I'm working on my mid year top 100 college list. I've seen about 55-60 games so far so I need to do some more work, but I should have it farily soon.

The only thing Maualuga has is size, experience, the team he plays for. He has a highlight reel but he is not a good football player an dI wouldnt draft him regardless of the round

Michael Johnson remind me nothing of Mario Williams. Mario was in the 290's when drafted and was a inch shorter. IMO he is Manny Lawson part II and not worth a early pick.

Although Slevie fits better in a 3-4 and I would say he is between Wimbley and Merriman as a prospect its crazy to say he couldnt play in a 4-3.

Taylor Mays is another victim of the USC hype machine and is not that good other then his physical attributes

Oher is not that raw at all I dont know what game you watched

October 1st, 2008, 10:13 am
Peanut and Beer Salesman

ErnieSimsKilledKennedy wrote:

The only thing Maualuga has is size, experience, the team he plays for. He has a highlight reel but he is not a good football player an dI wouldnt draft him regardless of the round

Michael Johnson remind me nothing of Mario Williams. Mario was in the 290's when drafted and was a inch shorter. IMO he is Manny Lawson part II and not worth a early pick.

Although Slevie fits better in a 3-4 and I would say he is between Wimbley and Merriman as a prospect its crazy to say he couldnt play in a 4-3.

Taylor Mays is another victim of the USC hype machine and is not that good other then his physical attributes

Oher is not that raw at all I dont know what game you watched

First of all, Maulauga has struggled this year, as I said, but the kid is a player. He already has NFL size and speed. If you're going to say he a product of the hype, I think you're sorely mistaken, but I can understand your logic. But to say you wouldn't draft him is pretty unreasonable.

I was refering to Johnson has being more raw then Mario Williams as far as a player goes, and he is. Williams knock was he is so raw and was a combine wunderkind. Johnson is going to do the same thing. Physically, he isn't as big, but again, I am saying like Williams, he has great speed, and still good size for a DE. I wouldn't take him but he will anoher top 10 pick and can develope into a pro bowler.

Selvie in a 4-3 would get beaten into submission by good OT's. He would be ideal in a 3-4 where he can maximize his talent, but I just cannot see hm being an everydown DL in a 4-3 D.

I tend to agree with you about Mays. He is a freak but he is probably more Roy Williams then Ed Reed, like I said. The kid will again tear up his Pro Day and be a top 10 pick, but I have doubts he can lead a secondary.

Oher is going to be a great LT but still too often he relies on on his physical gifts then technique. That is why I think he is raw. He hasn't played football that long so it's still probably new to him, and he's had a few different coaches since he's been there, all of which I am sure have taught him something new. It is only natural for a kid with that size and quickness to rely on overpowering guys, but it won't fly on Sundays.

With proper coaching, he is going to be fine, but right now I still think he is a raw talent.

October 1st, 2008, 1:09 pm

Rey has never shown me anything this year or prior. He makes some big hits becuase he gambles. I feel his mental game and instincts are lacking greatly. He is big an dhas good speed for his size. I would take Curry or Spikes over Rey and Luarnitus everyday

I agree that Selvie would be better in a 3-4 but he is strong at the point of attack and could survive pro lineman. I mean Selvie is 6-4 and 255 and could easily add bulk. He is as big or bigger then most all the colts DL.

October 1st, 2008, 2:11 pm

I've been afraid to think about drafting a QB in round one after the Harrington disaster but Stafford looks pretty awesome. If we have two first round picks then I'd be OK with grabbing him. We definitely need some help in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so I hope that will be the priority.

October 1st, 2008, 2:45 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Rey has never shown me anything this year or prior. He makes some big hits becuase he gambles. I feel his mental game and instincts are lacking greatly. He is big an dhas good speed for his size. I would take Curry or Spikes over Rey and Luarnitus everyday

I agree that Selvie would be better in a 3-4 but he is strong at the point of attack and could survive pro lineman. I mean Selvie is 6-4 and 255 and could easily add bulk. He is as big or bigger then most all the colts DL.

I'll give you Curry but Spikes is not ready. He still plays way too recklessly to be a starting MLB in the NFL. He and Sims would be an absolute disaster, and I like both guys.

I still like Rey. Guy is always around the ball. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Regardless though I don't see us touching an MLB with a top 5 pick. It'll be OL, DL or QB.

October 1st, 2008, 3:46 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

slybri19 wrote:

I've been afraid to think about drafting a QB in round one after the Harrington disaster but Stafford looks pretty awesome. If we have two first round picks then I'd be OK with grabbing him. We definitely need some help in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so I hope that will be the priority.

I doubt we take Stafford, but I do like the kid. This team just has so many holes I can't see them going QB unless whoever the GM is thinks this kid is legit.

October 1st, 2008, 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next