View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft. 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If it helps I would want spikes at SAM with Bart Scott in the middle. At QB I personally like Josh Freeman and if he comes out early would liek to grab him in the second.

October 1st, 2008, 11:09 pm

Josh Freeman
Nate Davis

RB
Shonn Green

FB
Jovorskie Lane

OL
The Draft is chuck full of it so I wont even go there

DE
Brandon Graham
Lawrence Wilson
Geogre Selvie
Brian Orakpo

DT
Vance Walker

LB
Zac Follet
Aaron Curry
Jasper Brinkley
Clint Sintim
Cody Brown
Brandon Spikes
Josh Mauga

CB
Alphonso Smith

S
Patrick Chung
Williams Moore

K
Jose Martinez

October 10th, 2008, 1:21 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Stallion, whats your knock on Laurinitis? What don't you like about him. I don't follow college ball really well so you'll have to forgive me for the question if it's silly.

October 10th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Stallion, whats your knock on Laurinitis? What don't you like about him. I don't follow college ball really well so you'll have to forgive me for the question if it's silly.

He is a weak tackler who doesnt meet the ball at the hole. He doesnt get off blocks well...he has good coverage skills but The only scheme I could see hom suceeding in is a tampa 2 and its still iffy

October 10th, 2008, 4:03 pm
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
I agree that Selvie would be better in a 3-4 but he is strong at the point of attack and could survive pro lineman. I mean Selvie is 6-4 and 255 and could easily add bulk. He is as big or bigger then most all the colts DL.

I agree. I saw the South Florida-Kansas game, where Selvie was double-teamed the whole game. He still got pressure on the QB on almost every play, got 2 sacks, and had 2 pass blocks, including 1 that he batted 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I think he got all of that one.

Selvie is FAST. Right now, he's slightly bigger than Cliff Avril, but looking at him, he clearly has the frame to add more muscle without sacrificing much speed.

October 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Even though he's still making mistakes, I love the arm on Matthew Stafford. He can make every throw (even off his back foot) and is very accurate. He could probably use another year in college, but if he comes out early, it would be very tempting to take him. But, as I've said before, I want to see what Stanton has before they invest another high pick on a QB.

October 12th, 2008, 8:45 am
QB Coach

Spikes had a decent game against LSU last night, including two picks one returned 52 yards for a TD. However, I have heard some stuff about character issues with him and after his TD him punting the ball into the stands showed a lack of discipline. Sure Florida was up big but why incur a penalty by doing something dumb like that? If we have a coach who can keep him in line I still wouldn't mind getting him late in the first round, if he comes out.

October 12th, 2008, 10:57 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Spikes had a decent game against LSU last night, including two picks one returned 52 yards for a TD. However, I have heard some stuff about character issues with him and after his TD him punting the ball into the stands showed a lack of discipline. Sure Florida was up big but why incur a penalty by doing something dumb like that? If we have a coach who can keep him in line I still wouldn't mind getting him late in the first round, if he comes out.

yea i saw that too and I agree, that was classless

October 13th, 2008, 1:40 am
Stadium Announcer

I watched Phil Loadholt in the Red River shootout. The Sooners start him at LT even though he's 6-8, 350. Aside from 1 play I saw where a speed rusher beat him for a QB pressure (which led to a sack from the other side after the QB stepped up), he did well. Loadholt looks better at LT than Gosder Cherilus, who was moved to LT out of necessity his senior year at Boston College (after dominating at RT).

That being said, he still looks like an NFL RT. A big, strong, dominating RT. A couple cheeseburgers after the season, a bad 40-time at the Combine, and the 2nd Round could be a lock. If the Lions want a HUGE RT at the top of the 2nd round, he should be there.

As for Gosder, if we end up paying him to backup and be the next Jonathan Scott, ......well, we've spent our money on worse things. And, that would finally give us some depth on the O-line.

October 13th, 2008, 2:02 am
RIP Killer

I watched Phil Loadholt in the Red River shootout. The Sooners start him at LT even though he's 6-8, 350. Aside from 1 play I saw where a speed rusher beat him for a QB pressure (which led to a sack from the other side after the QB stepped up), he did well. Loadholt looks better at LT than Gosder Cherilus, who was moved to LT out of necessity his senior year at Boston College (after dominating at RT).

That being said, he still looks like an NFL RT. A big, strong, dominating RT. A couple cheeseburgers after the season, a bad 40-time at the Combine, and the 2nd Round could be a lock. If the Lions want a HUGE RT at the top of the 2nd round, he should be there.

As for Gosder, if we end up paying him to backup and be the next Jonathan Scott, ......well, we've spent our money on worse things. And, that would finally give us some depth on the O-line.

I think you're giving up on Cherilus too early. Gosder has all the physical talent needed, he just needs to refine his technique. What is lacking is teachable, and will come in time, I think. Loadholt is going to be a RT in the NFL, no doubt. But I don't think he needs to be the Lions RT. I'd rather they found a tried and true LT, like Michael Oher or Andre Smith.

October 13th, 2008, 9:43 am

I thougth Loadholt played poorly. He gave up 2 sacks to Orakpo and multiple pressure as Bradford rolled right to get away. also we dont need a RT we need a LT Eugene Monroe is the guy im looking at right now.

Spikes intensity is my favorite attribute of his

Stafford needs to stay in school. Bradford is IMO a bust waiting to happen. I like Josh Freenman and Nate Davis. They both have big arms with fast releases and are decently mobile.

October 13th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I thougth Loadholt played poorly. He gave up 2 sacks to Orakpo and multiple pressure as Bradford rolled right to get away. also we dont need a RT we need a LT Eugene Monroe is the guy im looking at right now.

Agreed. Loadholt is overrated. He can't handle pass rushers with even a little bit of speed.

October 13th, 2008, 7:26 pm

The draft this year is clearly an offensively strong draft while next year is clearly a defensive draft it some underclassmen declare

MLB McClain of Bama 6'5 255 4.6 40
OLB Martez Wilson Illinois 6'4 245 2.55 40
DE Carlos Dunlap of Florida 6-6 290 4.7 40

October 13th, 2008, 11:10 pm
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
I'd rather they found a tried and true LT, like Michael Oher or Andre Smith.

Agreed. IMO, LT is the #1 priority, period. I mentioned Loadholt as a possibility for the 2nd round, and regardless would prefer Oher or Smith or Eugene Monroe for our 1st round, top-5 pick. I'm not against picking 2 tackles with the first 2 picks.

Also, I'm not necessarily locked into a RT in the 2nd round, and haven't given up yet on Cherilus. I'll take the best player available at a handful of positions.

With our 1st round, top 5 pick, the options are few without reaching. I don't see any QB's, OG's, RT's, MLB's, NT's, CB's worthy of a top-5 pick. Most of those positions (except QB and sometimes CB) traditionally don't get picked in the top 5 anyway, and will be available later.

Since trading down out of the top 5 is almost impossible economically these days, it looks like we'd be best off getting a franchise LT with that pick, Oher or maybe Smith or Monroe. True, the draft is deep in LT's and other offensive linemen, but LT is a cornerstone position, one we shouldn't compromise on or settle for "good enough". A pass-rushing DE like Selvie or Michael Johnson would be nice, but they're more like 6-15 picks, and not our top priority now anyway.

Of course, that then leaves us lots of options for the 2nd round.

bootyshake.gif RT if we really feel we need one and see one we like.
:arrow: QB..... even with Stanton around, another 2nd rounder could be affordable compared to what other teams are paying (if you want to wait after the 2nd-3rd round, the QB's drop to the 5th-7th rounds).
pottytrain2.gif OG.....this would be my choice.....the O-line needs a major overhaul, and LT/RG are the obvious spots to start.
5footballhelmet.gif MLB (or SLB if you think Dizon is the answer).... If Laurenitis and Maualuga are both overrated like Stallion says, then someone else should be available in the 2nd round after teams take those 2 guys in the 1st round. I like Brian Cushing at SLB (if he drops).
:confused: CB......These go fast, and trading down in the first round probably won't happen. A decent cover 2 CB could be available in the 2nd, but the man-to-man burners will be gone except for the really dumb ones.
](*,) NT's......Where's the beef? There's always guys like this in the 2nd round, many of whom would be an upgrade over Chuck "Speed Bump" Darby.
qleapfrog.gif DE.....the good ones go fast, so you'd have to get lucky or reach for a project to get one in the 2nd round. We already tried that with IAK. I'd rather not pick a DE here.
:unibrow: Trading down in the 2nd round for extra picks is also a very real possibility.....we could use them.

So the way I see it, there are few options in the 1st round, and lots of options in the 2nd round. I guess that's what happens when a team's got this many holes. pottytrain5.gif

October 14th, 2008, 4:21 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

With the recent trades I'm expecting we will have the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft. In that case, I would also like to address LT with that pick with either Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe. Than pick brandon spikes with the cowboys pick,(hopefully they do bad enough that the pick will drop that far) and with our second rd. pick pray that Aaron curry falls to us. If not pick up a guard with that pick.

1st- LT -Oher/Monroe
1st- MLB - Brandon Spikes
2nd-OLB - Aaron Curry

Obviously we probably wont get spikes n curry with the cowboys 1st n our 2nd but i can still dream. I know this would render the dizon pick useless but it would make our LB core SICK! dizon would still be a valuable backup for any of the LB positions. Ive seen few wake games n a ton of UF(even tho i hate the gators) and they've looked solid. With our two 3rd round picks we should try n nab an OG & CB.

October 15th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next