View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 NCAA Players to Watch for next years draft. 
RIP Killer

With the recent trades I'm expecting we will have the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft. In that case, I would also like to address LT with that pick with either Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe. Than pick brandon spikes with the cowboys pick,(hopefully they do bad enough that the pick will drop that far) and with our second rd. pick pray that Aaron curry falls to us. If not pick up a guard with that pick.

1st- LT -Oher/Monroe
1st- MLB - Brandon Spikes
2nd-OLB - Aaron Curry

Obviously we probably wont get spikes n curry with the cowboys 1st n our 2nd but i can still dream. I know this would render the dizon pick useless but it would make our LB core SICK! dizon would still be a valuable backup for any of the LB positions. Ive seen few wake games n a ton of UF(even tho i hate the gators) and they've looked solid. With our two 3rd round picks we should try n nab an OG & CB.

Though I loved the trade, my only issue is that now the Lions have two first round picks and there doesn't seem to be a capable franchise type QB coming out that we could use one of those picks on. Kitna is as good as gone, and we have three highly inexperienced and questionable players at the position. Dan O didn't impress me, and I don't think Stanton is really the long term answer. We need to find someone that can sit in the shadows for at least one year, and then emerge in 2010 as the bonafide starter/leader of this offense. To date, nobody has dutifully impressed me as "the guy". Matt Stafford is OK, but isn't the playmaker I'd like to see. And beyond him, the pickin's is slim.

Building the offensive line and the linebacking corps is important. I agree with you there. But without a quarterback of high caliber being developed, this team will continue to build in the wrong fashion.

October 15th, 2008, 3:50 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

yvesill, I like your picks, but I'm afraid that Spikes and Curry will go much sooner than many of us expect them to. If we could get one of them (or Cushing) with Dallas' pick, I'd be happy. I'm also leaning toward LT with the Lions' own 1st rounder, be it Oher, Smith, or Monroe. As for the other three picks in the first three rounds, they definitely need to draft an OG/C with one of them. After that, they could go CB, DE, or another LB with the other two.

October 15th, 2008, 3:57 pm
QB Coach

I'm not as well versed in the various college players as a lot of you are on here, but I just wanted to make one comment. I keep seeing people say that we need to draft a MLB. I know Dizon hasn't shown anything yet, but I don't think it's a good idea to just give up on him so fast. I agree that so far he's been a disappointment, but he also hasn't really played. We just drafted him, so I think we have to at least let him play to see what he can do. Maybe he surprises and turns out to be a solid MLB. Maybe not. But I don't think it makes much sense to draft another MLB now when we don't yet know what we have in Dizon. At least, not with a high pick. Just my $0.02...

October 15th, 2008, 4:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Touchdown Jesus, regardless of whether Dizon pans out or not, the Lions need another starting LB. Alex Lewis isn't getting the job done IMO and Paris Lenon will be an UFA. Two of the guys I mentioned (Curry and Cushing) play OLB, so Dizon could stay in the middle if they drafted them. With that said, I think he would be better off moving to SAM, but that's just me. In addition, Sims, Lewis, and Dizon are the only three LBs under contract for 2009, so they need to acquire atleast three more via FA or the draft anyways.

October 15th, 2008, 5:03 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I really dont care if we render Dizon pick worthless or not. I don't want our new staff to not get the guys they need becuase Millen/Nelli's guys are here and were drafted high

October 15th, 2008, 11:50 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I really dont care if we render Dizon pick worthless or not. I don't want our new staff to not get the guys they need becuase Millen/Nelli's guys are here and were drafted high

I agree, our LB core is so horrid right we need to take the best available LB with Dallas' first, even if its an ILB. Like Sly said we can move him to OLB the position he played in college.
Seeing as Curry probably wont be on the board with our 2nd pick what do u think of nabbing Herman Johnson from LSU? He is one big M'fer at 6'7 386 lbs. I'm not sure what his real weight is I got everything from 355-386 on scout reports, but anyway he would be a dominate force on our Oline.

October 16th, 2008, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

There is no reason why Sims ad Dizon cannot stay in Detroit. The rest of the group can go suck an egg, but Sims can have a spot found and Dizon doesn't have to play middle. I don't think going a different direction makes either one useless.

October 16th, 2008, 1:25 pm
There is no reason why Sims ad Dizon cannot stay in Detroit. The rest of the group can go suck an egg, but Sims can have a spot found and Dizon doesn't have to play middle. I don't think going a different direction makes either one useless.

IMO the only two positions that Dizon could concievably play are MLB and WLB. Sims is more or less a pure WLB. I don't see keeping Dizon around if we draft a pure MLB, unless we keep Dizon for special teams/spelling purposes only.

I'm not a big Dizon fan. I didn't like the pick when we made it, and I haven't exactly been swept off of my feet. This is yet another instance where I was told that "I don't have the same info that the scouts have, so I shouldn't be mad about the pick." Well, again, I feel that I was right from the beginning on this guy.

We already have a smaller WLB in Sims. IMO having yet another small LB in the middle is detrimental to our LB corps.

October 16th, 2008, 2:54 pm
QB Coach

Draft sneak peek: A first look at the Class of 2009
Oct. 16, 2008
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!
Click Here

Share this page.

The college football season is about half over. The NFL season is closing in on the halfway point, too.

That means it's time for our first look at the Top 32 2009 NFL draft prospects.

Matthew Stafford? Just say he's got all the tools. (US Presswire)
Matthew Stafford? Just say he's got all the tools. (US Presswire)
Based on the senior prospects, it would be only an OK draft. But with a looming rookie salary scale a possibility, you can bet the underclassmen will flock to this draft.

We're planning as if they will.

Assuming the good ones will, the first round next April should be loaded with underclassmen. In my top 32, half of the players are juniors or redshirt sophomores. Of the top 16, 10 are underclassmen.

The top two players are juniors. The top player is Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford, who has the arm and size scouts love. I remember when he was in high school, an NFL scout I respect greatly told me he would be the first player taken.

That scout will be right -- if the team drafting first needs a quarterback.

The second-rated player on this list is Alabama left tackle Andre Smith. He has been a starter since the day he walked onto campus as a true freshman. He's a mauler in the run game and a great pass protector.

It won't be a great class for quarterbacks, which is why Stafford and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, who can come out as a redshirt sophomore, should be the top quarterbacks. It will be a good class for offensive tackles and defensive ends. There are two tackles and three defensive ends in my top 10.

Just remember, this is the first list. I'll do several more as we move throughout the draft process leading up to the April draft.

Enjoy.

1. Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia (JR): He has a gun for an arm and a good command of the pocket. He does force some balls, but that can be coached out of him.

2. Andre Smith, T, Alabama (JR): He's 340 pounds and has the feet of a basketball player. He plays the left side for the Tide, but he could also move to the right side on the next level.

Sam Bradford: A fast riser by all indications. (US Presswire)
Sam Bradford: A fast riser by all indications. (US Presswire)
3. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma (redshirt soph.): He took a redshirt year as a freshman, so he can enter the draft. Nobody's stock is rising faster.

4. Michael Oher, T, Mississippi: They wrote a book about him in high school and he has lived up to the hype. He's huge and athletic and tough.

5. Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech: At 6-7, 260 pounds, he has a big frame although he's a little lean. He plays on a good line, but he's the clear star. He will need to improve his run play on the next level.

6. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech (redshirt soph.): Think T.O. meets Randy Moss. Plus, having played in Tech's passing offense he's skilled in the little things needed to play the position.

7. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas: He's a powerful end who should be able to hold up against the run. He's also a skilled pass rusher, although not a pure speed guy. He had a good day last week against Oklahoma tackle Phil Loadholt, who could be a first-round pick.

8. George Selvie, DE, South Florida (JR): He has issues keeping his weight up, and at 245 will need to get stronger. But he's a pure pass rusher with an explosive burst.

9. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: He's a good cover player who has a nose for the football. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's plenty fast. He has three interceptions this season.

Brian Cushing: The best of USC's linebacking standouts. (US Presswire)
Brian Cushing: The best of USC's linebacking standouts. (US Presswire)
10. Brian Cushing, LB, USC: I like him more than teammate Rey Maualuga, who is the more heralded linebacker on the team. He's played some defensive end, but I see him as a outside linebacker, a perfect 3-4 guy.

11. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State (JR): He's a strong runner who has good speed. The only knock on him is his durability. He has missed time with injuries.

12. Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois (JR): He's a smooth cover player who sometimes gambles too much and freelances too much. But the skills are there. He's the brother of San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis.

13. William Moore, S, Missouri: He's 6-1, 225 pounds and can run. In the modern NFL, safeties who can run are invaluable. He's a good tackler as well.

14. Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland (JR): He's got good size at 6-2 and 210 pounds, and he can fly. He should be the second receiver taken behind Crabtree.

15. Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn (JR): He's only 6-1 and 295 pounds, but he plays bigger. He's quick. He reminds me of Warren Sapp.

16. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia (JR): Defensive coordinators hold their breath every time he touches it. He has the ability to make people miss, but he can also rip off the 70-yard runs. He's a good receiver.

17. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State: He's a tackling machine who has the size and the speed. He has been a three-year starter, which says a lot.

18. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC : He plays with a passion you want from a linebacker, but I've seen him blocked too much this season. Maybe it's just an off year.

19. Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia: At 6-5 1/2 and 310 pounds, he will be able to add some weight on the next level. He's a good pass protector as a left tackle, but he needs to be tougher as a run blocker.

Aaron Curry: Always in the middle of things at Wake Forest. (US Presswire)
Aaron Curry: Always in the middle of things at Wake Forest. (US Presswire)
20. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest: Curry flashes every Wake Forest game you see. He has good instincts and at 6-1 1/2 and 240 pounds, he has good size.

21. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida (JR): The one worry I have is his size. But he has the speed. We've seen Steve Smith light it up in the NFL, and he's only 5-9.

22. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU: There was a lot of thinking he should have come out last season, but he made the decision to stay in school and he's having a so-so senior season. He's a big end at 290 pounds and he can rush the passer.

23. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi (JR): He had 10 sacks last season, but he has had some issues with the coaching staff this year. When he's focused, this former basketball player can get after the quarterback.

24. Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida (JR): Watch Florida play and he shows up all over the field. He has great speed and good instincts. He has a Ray Lewis look.

25. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri (redshirt soph.): He is the big-play guy in the Tigers' offense. He has speed and the ability to make people miss. He could be a Steve Smith type.

26. Taylor Mays, S, USC (JR): He's a huge safety at 6-3 and 225 pounds, but he can run. He's not another Roy Williams.

27. Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma: He's a big guard at 6-5 and 335 pounds who might be able to move to right tackle on the next level. He's a good run blocker who will need to improve his pass protection.

28. Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama (JR): He's a force in the middle of the Tide line, but his 360 pounds might be a concern to some teams. He's down from 400, so he can get it off. He needs to play at 330.

Derrick Williams: Now matching the hype. (US Presswire)
Derrick Williams: Now matching the hype. (US Presswire)
29. Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State: He came in as a hyped player, but didn't live up to it until this season. He has become a major playmaker. The things scouts will want to see from him will be his 40 times.

30. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest: If he were two inches taller, he would be ranked higher. His listed height is only 5-9, but he's a playmaker.

31. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (JR): He hasn't done that much this season, but he's a big-time prospect. The Clemson line is terrible. Think Chris Johnson of the Titans.

32. Fili Moala, DT, USC: He has exceptional quickness for a 310-pounder. He really played well against Ohio State, which is the type of game scouts expect more of from him.

Others who could move into top 32: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State; Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin; DeMarcus Granger, DT, Oklahoma (JR); Curtis Painter, QB, Purdue; Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri; Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State (JR); LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh (JR); Ciron Black, T, LSU (JR); Herman Johnson, G, LSU; CB Trevor Lindley, CB, Kentucky; Tim Tebow, QB, Florida (JR); Jason Smith, T, Baylor; Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State (JR); B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College; Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut; Patrick Chung, S, Oregon; James Davis, RB, Clemson; Everette Brown, DE, Florida State (JR); Mark Sanchez, QB, USC (JR); D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt (JR); Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice; Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State; Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati.

Don't like Prisco at all but at least it's a list of some of the top prospects, two of which could be Lions next spring.

Oher is my choice for our first pick and I bolded Spikes because of who Prisco compares him too.

October 16th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Stadium Announcer

(40-times and ht/wt listings are from Walter's Tree-Killing Football Site) http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php

For our 1st Round, top 5 pick (currently #2), I'd like a Franchise LT....period. With a Top-5 pick, you really shouldn't be looking at too many names overall. Luckily, this is a good draft for elite left tackles. Of these 3, my gut tells me 1 will be an All-Pro, 1 will be a bust, and 1 will be somewhere in between. We've just got to figure out who. [-o<

1st Round (#2)
LT Michael Oher (Ole Miss) 6-5 318
LT Andre Smith (Alabama) 6-5 339
LT Eugene Monroe (Virginia) 6-6 315

For our 1st Round pick from the Cowboys (currently around #27) and our own 2nd Round pick (currently #34), I'm approaching them as a pair. I've always believed in taking the best player available at a small number of high-need positions. That gives you flexibility while also addressing needs. Based on our needs and the players likely available, I'm mostly looking at OG, MLB, OLB, and maybe a DT with those 2 picks. See who's available, and who slides.....get value for this spot in the draft. (I don't expect CB's Jenkins or Davis to slide this far, but included them for those of you who want to trade up to get a shutdown corner)

1st Round (#27) & 2nd Round (#34)
OG Duke Robinson (Oklahoma) 6-5 330
OG Herman Johnson (LSU) 6-7 349
MLB Brandon Spikes (Florida) 6-3 244 (4.65 40)
OLB Brian Cushing (USC) 6-4 245 (4.60 40)
OLB Aaron Curry (Wake Forest) 6-3 241 (4.58 40)
DT Al Woods (LSU) 6-5 314
MLB Rey Maualuga (USC) 6-3 250 (4.68 40) if he slides.....maybe
CB Malcolm Jenkins (OSU) 6-1 202 (4.39 40) (he won't slide this far....trade up?)
CB Vontae Davis (Illinois) 6-0 200 (4.39 40) (he won't slide this far....trade up?)

For our pair of 3rd Round picks, I'm looking at mostly CB's and NT's, along with a couple LB's. There's some unheralded cornerbacks with size and speed, along with some decent beef at nose tackle. No DE's. The good ones go in the top half of the 1st Round, and I'd rather not waste my time on a bad one. Get a 1st-Rounder in 2010, and use White/Avril for now.

3rd Round (#66 & #91)
NT Vince Ophobaase (Duke) 6-6 310 (low body fat)
NT Terrence Cody (Alabama) (nobody knows, he broke the scale)
CB Trevard Lindley (Kentucky) 6-0 177 (4.41 40)
CB Kevin Barnes (Maryland) 6-1 188 (4.43 40)
CB Domonique Johnson (Jackson St.) 6-2 190 (4.34 40)
CB Wopamo Osaisai (Stanford) 5-11 199 (4.39 40)
CB Mark Parson (Ohio) 5-10 193 (4.38 40)
MLB Dannell Ellerbe (Georgia) 6-1 232 (4.53 40)
OLB Marcus Freeman (OSU) 6-2 242 (4.63 40)

(since we don't know what kind of defense the new coach will implement, I leaned towards coverage cornerbacks with a good combination of size/speed)

Also, as a late round pick for KR, we might want to consider:
CB Bruce Johnson (Miami) 5-10 176 (4.38 40) if he slides
CB Brice McCain (Utah) 5-9 189 (4.36 40)
CB Jackie Bates (Hampton) 5-10 180 (4.33 40)
WR Jacoby Ford (Clemson) 5-9 187 (4.37 40)
WR Mike Wallace (Ole Miss) 6-0 183 (4.35 40)

I'm a little iffy on my defensive tackle picks. I need to research them more. Also, of course these players will rise/fall based on the rest of the season, bowl games, Senior Bowl practices/game, NFL Combine, and Pro Days.

So I may look back on this in April and cringe, but it's my best guess right now. 5squeeze.gif

October 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

First picks has got to be LT, be it Monroe, Oher, or Smith
Personally with the cowboys first(will be higher then we possibly think) I would go Curry or Spikes, preferably Curry
2nd Rounder go OL Mack start him out at RG then after Raiola is gone next year slide him to OC

October 16th, 2008, 7:37 pm
RIP Killer

It's worthless looking at players, because you'll love certain players and they won't even be considered because the new GM (whomever it may be) will have to decide what he wants to build around, who he wants to keep, and what kind of team (talent, size, speed, etc) that he wants. For all we know, he may want monster physical CBs and we'll run a 3-4. Nobody knows.

October 16th, 2008, 7:51 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Whose to say the new GM whether it be Mayhew or whoever doesn't think Backus is servicable. The GM could draft say a QB or DE with the first pick and say G or LB with the other 1st. I like most everyone here hopes that won't be the case but how do we know that any of the picks will be spent on o-line?

October 16th, 2008, 10:36 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Whose to say the new GM whether it be Mayhew or whoever doesn't think Backus is servicable. The GM could draft say a QB or DE with the first pick and say G or LB with the other 1st. I like most everyone here hopes that won't be the case but how do we know that any of the picks will be spent on o-line?

Good point, Backus had a good game against Minnesota and it got me thinking the same thing. But I think the way it might play out is that we'll end up with the first pick overall and Oher's value will be too high to pass up. Like CJ in 07.

October 18th, 2008, 1:45 am
QB Coach

Good article about Oher that I posted in another thread but figured it should be here too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magaz ... wanted=all

Unless he is picked before us, this kid should be the new starting LT for the Detroit Lions.

October 21st, 2008, 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next