View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:12 pm



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rebuild 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I still don't understand why anyone thinks the Cowboys would trade for Roy. They currently have the best WR in football in T.O., and the other WRs they have are good compliments to him. What possible reason would they have to give up a 2nd rounder for a good, but not great WR? It's not going to happen. A team who is desperate for a good WR might give up something for Roy, but I don't even see that happening. This Cowboys thing is nuts though. Just because Roy is from Texas doesn't mean the Cowboys would be dumb about it. Jerry Jones cares about winning over anything else, and giving up a 2nd rounder (or more) for Roy is not a winning move.


Because TO is near the end of his career and I'm not so sure the Cowboys are sold on Crayton as the #2 and definately not as the future replacement for TO. Also their depth at the WR position is pitiful. If Crayton or especially TO goes down for any significant amount of time their season is basically over. Roy has his flaws but I think that hooking up with TO and learning his practice habits would take him to the level he should be at in his career. The Texas thing would be a big deal for the Cowboys and Roy. Look at how Roy treats the young fans in Detroit and imagine what Roy would do in his home state. Jerry Jones likes to win Super Bowls but he likes making money even more.

The only way Jerry would ever give up anything to get Roy is if TO gets injured. Why would he give up anything for him now when he knows he can probably just wait til this off-season and get him then? Not to mention the fact that I think the people on this board overstate Roy's value big time. I think he's viewed by the rest of the league as an average WR.


You are exactly right. Roy is not seen as a great receiver outside of Detroit. What's more, his mouth is doing as much to de-value himself to other teams, in addition to his poor work ethic and performance. I heard a statement on the radio that T.O. actually led the league in dropped passes in 2006, with 17. Now, I don't know how those are rated and judged, but to me Roy is EASILY on pace to break that number of dropped passes this season. Hell, he's on a pace to break that number by mid-season, if you ask me. He's dropped at least two passes in each game this season. What's the criteria for calling it a dropped pass? I don't know. My criteria is that the receiver had (or could have had) both hands on the ball, we cognizant of the ball being thrown to him, and had an opportunity to secure the ball before contact was made by a defender.


September 24th, 2008, 9:29 am
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: December 27th, 2006, 4:53 pm
Posts: 693
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I would trade Roy and still believe if they trade him in season to a team like the Cowboys will get at least a 2nd rounder if not more.

I still don't understand why anyone thinks the Cowboys would trade for Roy. They currently have the best WR in football in T.O., and the other WRs they have are good compliments to him. What possible reason would they have to give up a 2nd rounder for a good, but not great WR? It's not going to happen. A team who is desperate for a good WR might give up something for Roy, but I don't even see that happening. This Cowboys thing is nuts though. Just because Roy is from Texas doesn't mean the Cowboys would be dumb about it. Jerry Jones cares about winning over anything else, and giving up a 2nd rounder (or more) for Roy is not a winning move.


Dallas wanted to give a 1st when they had two first rounders in April. Millen wanted Ware. Jerry hung up the phone. We had our chance.


September 26th, 2008, 2:43 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
dh86 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I would trade Roy and still believe if they trade him in season to a team like the Cowboys will get at least a 2nd rounder if not more.

I still don't understand why anyone thinks the Cowboys would trade for Roy. They currently have the best WR in football in T.O., and the other WRs they have are good compliments to him. What possible reason would they have to give up a 2nd rounder for a good, but not great WR? It's not going to happen. A team who is desperate for a good WR might give up something for Roy, but I don't even see that happening. This Cowboys thing is nuts though. Just because Roy is from Texas doesn't mean the Cowboys would be dumb about it. Jerry Jones cares about winning over anything else, and giving up a 2nd rounder (or more) for Roy is not a winning move.


Dallas wanted to give a 1st when they had two first rounders in April. Millen wanted Ware. Jerry hung up the phone. We had our chance.


Leave it to Millen to want a player who would have to relearn a position in the NFL. I'm so glad he's gone.


September 26th, 2008, 8:32 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
Anyone who says to trade Sims is simply retarded.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 4th, 2008, 12:53 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
If we switched to a 3-4 and didnt trade Simms we would be retarded. He wouldnt be big enough and would end up injured, underproductive, and we would end up trading him for far less later rather then sooner.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 4th, 2008, 11:12 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2696
Post 
The Lions have the DEs for the 3-4 and one outside (and not to mention untested third round Millen draft pick (hint hint potential bust)) linebacker. That's it. None of their DTs are large enough to play the NT. Dizon--useless. I guess you could play Sims at ILB, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective as he is now. You'd be better off trading him for a veteran NT or a second rounder. He hasn't made a pro bowl. I think he has one career interception. He's a respectable linebacker, but no team is giving up a first for him.

So you lack 4 starters IN THE FRONT SEVEN ALONE, not to mention depth. The defense would take at least 3 drafts to even be mediocre because the Lions still need a starting CB opposite Bodden and probably a new SS.


October 6th, 2008, 5:50 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Personally I would preffer a blitzing 4-3. HJow much better suited is this team for a 4-3 right now.

White-Career backup in tampa but our best DL

Redding-play half a season well once and his career

Darby-was an ok player on a couple good teams but was never that good and is over the hill

Devries-Career backup...love the guy...but seriously

Lewis-Couldnt beat out Bailey...nuff said

Lenon-Ex mail man

Simms-Overrated and over drafted

Fisher-his name is fisher but he doesnt catch anything but anyone who lines up against him will catch everything

Brian Kelly-Washed up back up form Tampa

Leigh Bodden-Had hopes...hopes curshed yesterday

Dwight Smith-We are his 4th team since 2004 and was cut by the Vikings who run the same scheme as us

Bullocks-Millen draft pick...nuff said

Honestly none of our players are good enough on either side of the ball to warrant not switching schemes...noone is safe

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 6th, 2008, 6:59 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2696
Post 
Quote:
HJow much better suited is this team for a 4-3 right now.


Actually, probably a lot better.

In all fairness the Lions do have the worst defense in the NFL. But I don't think it's because of the talent level. I believe the defense has the talent to be 20-25th (still bad, but not god awful) if the Lions had a defensive coordinator who knew wtf he was doing.

Look, its widely known that in order to be successful the Tampa 2 HAS to get pressure from its front four ALONE. Blitzing is not part of the standard Tampa 2. So if the DLine can't pressure the QB, it's over. The Lions have shown that their defensive line isn't capable of that, yet they stick to their standard style of defense.

Assuming the Lions bring in a decent Defensive coordinator, they could go from having the worst defense to having a middle-of-the-pack one in a single off season. How?

1. Don't resign Roy. Use that cap space to sign Peppers.
2. Use top five pick on either OSU or USC's MLB.
3. Use high second round pick on a defensive tackle. Many quality DTs can usually be found in the beginning of the second round.
4. Sign a mediocre FA SS.
5. Use the draft pick from trading Roy to get a CB or sign a mediocre FA CB.
6. Shift Lenon to SSLB

I honestly think if the Lions did this their defense would be respectable.


October 7th, 2008, 12:55 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Quote:
1. Don't resign Roy. Use that cap space to sign Peppers.

No way we get Peppers...plain and simple
Quote:
2. Use top five pick on either OSU or USC's MLB.

Rey and James are both highly overrated and future busts
Quote:
3. Use high second round pick on a defensive tackle. Many quality DTs can usually be found in the beginning of the second round.

Quality players can be found in any round depending out the depth of that position, what you value, and whos making the pick. So it really depends on the defense we are running
Quote:
4. Sign a mediocre FA SS.

Who would this SS be
Quote:
5. Use the draft pick from trading Roy to get a CB or sign a mediocre FA CB.
Medicore is what we have, we need good players
Quote:
6. Shift Lenon to SSLB

I could see Lenon still starting for us next year but I think it would show how untalented we are

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 7th, 2008, 11:32 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2696
Post 
Stallion, I think you missed my point.

The things I listed were things that the Lions could do to create a respectable 4-3 defense. Doesn't mean that they are all going to happen or likely to happen, but they are certainly more likely to happen than finding 3 starting LBs, a NT, +whatever secondary changes you want....On top of existing Lion players learning an entire new defense/positions and being good at them.

Quote:
No way we get Peppers...plain and simple


I didn't know you had a crystal ball. Why can't the Lions get Peppers? Have the Panthers said that they strongly intend to resign him? Will he not fit into the Lions cap? Please defend your argument, that's all I ask.

Quote:
Rey and James are both highly overrated and future busts


I think you missed your calling. You should be an NFL scout! I find it unlikely that the two highest rated MLB prospects will both be busts. (On top of that, JL would've been the top rated MLB prospect LAST year too)

Quote:
Quality players can be found in any round depending out the depth of that position, what you value, and whos making the pick. So it really depends on the defense we are running


Fair point, but finding a starting caliber 4-3 DT in the beginning of the second round is more likely to happen than say finding a NT in the 7th. Higher picks have a higher percentage chance of producing better players. That's why first round picks are so valued. It's why they give the first pick to the worst team.

Quote:
Who would this SS be


Could be Mike Brown, Brian Dawkins, or another UFA. There will be plenty, guys ending their contracts+guys who get released. Worst comes to worst, you could trade a 5th/6th pick for one. It wouldn't be that hard for the Lions to find a SS who could come in for a reasonable contract and act as a stop gap for a year or two. Like they tried to do with Spikes this year.

Quote:
Medicore is what we have, we need good players


See above. I didn't say this list would make the Lions a defensive powerhouse, I said it would make them respectable.

Quote:
I could see Lenon still starting for us next year but I think it would show how untalented we are


I believe Lenon could be a decent SSLB, which is all he would have to be if we had two first round picks playing next to him.


October 8th, 2008, 5:13 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Peppers will not come here becuase there will plenty of good teams willing to pay him big money compared to a horrible team willing to pay him big money.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 8th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: March 7th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Posts: 324
Post 
I think you have to start by getting rid of the west coast scouts to say the least. Joey, Cody, BMW, that other guard from USC that I cant remember right now, IAF, all seem to be or near busts. Thats 5 high picks and one guy i cant remember off the top of my head that boned this team. Bullocks was all right. And I have no idea about Dizon.

I would stay with the 43 but scrap the cover two. The problem is i dont really think that the Lions have much to work with at the top of the draft. So with a top 1-3 pick i would take Rey Rey from USC. No Qbs, worth drafting, Oher is good but i think we can take Unger from Oregon way later plus how do you move Backus? With the second pick i would trade the cowboys first and third to move up to take Orakpo from Texas. Hes probably a late first early second for now, but after the combine he'll shoot up boards and we may have to trade up to take him. You know have a legit pass rusher and a playmaking Mike to help the new defense. Dizon/Lennon/Lewis at SLB, Rey at Mike, and Simms at Will sounds good to me. White, Fluellen, Redding, Orakpo should get plenty of a pass rush. Bodden is solid and he keeps at starting CB spot, and sign Chris Gamble for the other CB. Keep Bullocks, Alexander, and Smith as the Safeties, and Fischer can stay at NB.

Offense I would say guard and TE are the most important areas that need attention. Ideally Robinson falls into the early second and he would be huge for the Lions. If not that Beckum from Wisconsin would probably be there and a slight stretch, but the Lions havent had a threat at TE in years. Unger in the third would be my choice and then BPA after that.


October 15th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
casskid wrote:
I think you have to start by getting rid of the west coast scouts to say the least. Joey, Cody, BMW, that other guard from USC that I cant remember right now, IAF, all seem to be or near busts. Thats 5 high picks and one guy i cant remember off the top of my head that boned this team. Bullocks was all right. And I have no idea about Dizon.

I would stay with the 43 but scrap the cover two. The problem is i dont really think that the Lions have much to work with at the top of the draft. So with a top 1-3 pick i would take Rey Rey from USC. No Qbs, worth drafting, Oher is good but i think we can take Unger from Oregon way later plus how do you move Backus? With the second pick i would trade the cowboys first and third to move up to take Orakpo from Texas. Hes probably a late first early second for now, but after the combine he'll shoot up boards and we may have to trade up to take him. You know have a legit pass rusher and a playmaking Mike to help the new defense. Dizon/Lennon/Lewis at SLB, Rey at Mike, and Simms at Will sounds good to me. White, Fluellen, Redding, Orakpo should get plenty of a pass rush. Bodden is solid and he keeps at starting CB spot, and sign Chris Gamble for the other CB. Keep Bullocks, Alexander, and Smith as the Safeties, and Fischer can stay at NB.

Offense I would say guard and TE are the most important areas that need attention. Ideally Robinson falls into the early second and he would be huge for the Lions. If not that Beckum from Wisconsin would probably be there and a slight stretch, but the Lions havent had a threat at TE in years. Unger in the third would be my choice and then BPA after that.


I believe most know how I feel about Rey. Trading up really isnt an option, we have to many wholes. I also dont think we can afford to use a pick on a TE early. Unless we are sticking with a ZBS Unger would be a no for me.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 16th, 2008, 12:09 am
Profile
Post 
Stallion wrote:
I believe most know how I feel about Rey. Trading up really isnt an option, we have to many wholes. I also dont think we can afford to use a pick on a TE early. Unless we are sticking with a ZBS Unger would be a no for me.


I agree 100%... I don't see why people think that TE is a need that must be filled this year. IMO a MLB, SSLB, OG (maybe even two OG's), and OT would all benefit the team more so than any TE in the draft. Further, Gains Adams and Fitz, IMO, are serviceable TE's. Unless there was a great value, or unless we pick someone up in the 5th round (Kellen Davis type of player... someone that I advocated taking last year) than I would stay away from drafting a TE this year.


October 16th, 2008, 2:46 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.