View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Javon Ringer MSU 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Javon Ringer MSU
I am not the biggest College football fan, but I keep hearing people talk about this kid. I see he is a senior, and keep hearing comparisons to Barry Sanders.

Is he that good? Haven't seen too much on youtube yet - just wondering if anyone has input

September 24th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I obviously watch MSU a lot. First, he is no Barry Sanders. Lorenzo White was a great MSU tailback (and 1st round pick) back when I was a student, how did his pro career go? It went as well as most RBs that play college in the state of Michigan, not well.

The Spartans list him at 5'9", 202-pounds, so you know he is even smaller. But he looks pretty solidly built for his frame (bigger upper body than Barry for sure).

He averaged 6.7 ypc as a Fresh, 5.9 last year, and is down to 4.9 this year. He is simply getting a lot more touches now that Caulcrick is gone.

I'd say he runs about a 4.4 in the 40 as he looks pretty quick on the field.

Right now I'd put him in the top 2-3 RB's to enter the 2009 draft, but it still very early. Also, think about the level of competition he has faced with pansies like Florida Atlantic, Eastern Michigan, and Notre Dame. Although, there appear to be a few more cup cakes on the schedule like Indiana this week and Michigan in a few (sorry, couldn't resist).

But Barry Sanders he is not, not even close.

GO SPARTANS!

September 24th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Javon Ringer MSU
Ferris wrote:
I am not the biggest College football fan, but I keep hearing people talk about this kid. I see he is a senior, and keep hearing comparisons to Barry Sanders.

Is he that good? Haven't seen too much on youtube yet - just wondering if anyone has input

I have not heard that comparison, but the people that made it should have their mouths washed out with fossilized dinosaur scat.

Javon Ringer is a good running back, but his speed is the question mark. To some analysts, he has a quick burst but doesn't have the top end speed to break away, like a Felix Jones.

Ringer is probably looking at second round status right now. Two right knee injuries won't help him when teams break down his history and look up his hole with a microscope.

September 24th, 2008, 3:37 pm
NFL Team Captain

While I'm not a Spurtins fan (sorry Pablo), I think Ringer is a great back. He just dosen't play a position of immediate need for the Lions.
We have two servicable backs in Smith and Johnson.

Picks need to be spent on every position except WR and RB. Gues you could throw the kicking in there as well.

Linemen, Linemen and more Linemen. 8)

September 24th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Ringer does not have breakaway speed, and he is going to get 450 carries.

Aka we already have him in Kevin Smith.

October 1st, 2008, 1:57 am
Team MVP

He runs a 4.3 forty....thats plenty enough speed to break away.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 26th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Walk On

While it pains me to talk up a Sparty the guy showed some real heart this last weekend. He tore up Blue pretty bad. (not that its hard to do this year)

With the speed and decisiveness he has mabey he'd be a Chris Johnson type back who's tearing it up with the Titans this year. O ya I forgot. They have a good O-line :x

October 28th, 2008, 1:54 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

ErnieSimsKilledKennedy wrote:

I doubt he runs a 4.3...I liek Green from Iowa

October 28th, 2008, 9:55 pm
RIP Killer

Where did you see he runs a 4.3 forty? I have always seen or heard he runs in the 4.5 to 4.55 range. His biggest hurdle for getting a first day grade (remember, only the first two rounds are on day one now) is to run in the 4.4 range during his workouts. Otherwise, he may slip to round three.

October 29th, 2008, 9:16 am
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:

Where did you see he runs a 4.3 forty? I have always seen or heard he runs in the 4.5 to 4.55 range. His biggest hurdle for getting a first day grade (remember, only the first two rounds are on day one now) is to run in the 4.4 range during his workouts. Otherwise, he may slip to round three.

They were talking about it during the MSU-(pussy)UM game, hard to argue with those guys.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 30th, 2008, 3:57 pm
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

They were talking about it during the MSU-(pussy)UM game, hard to argue with those guys.

LoL... Oh yeah? These are the same guys that said Jim Sorgie could bench press 450lbs during a Wisconsin game...

I wouldn't put much stock in the worthless dribble that comes out their mouths...

October 30th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Team MVP

i dont know, thats just what they said. He isnt slow by any means.

October 30th, 2008, 10:52 pm
i dont know, thats just what they said. He isnt slow by any means.

That much I'll agree with... Ringer definitely has some speed, but there is a big difference between "not slow" and 4.3 speed. As Pablo said, if he runs a 4.3 he's likely to get a first day pick (Rd 1 or 2), but if he's in the mid 4.4 range, like expected (which isn't slow... it's just not elite speed), than he will probably be a day two pick.

October 30th, 2008, 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]