View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 What the Lions SHOULD do in '09 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post What the Lions SHOULD do in '09
Right now, we're looking at the #1 or 2 pick, possibly the #22-27 pick, the 34th pick and two third rounders. Dallas has two third rounders, so I'm not sure which one we'll get.

I think the Lions should pick an area and draft heavily in that area. This year's draft is heavy with OL and LB, two areas the Lions desperately need help in.
They need a LT no matter what.

First pick should be Oher if he's there and we pick #2. Take him for sure if we pick #1.
The next two picks should still go for offensive line. I wouldn't be unhappy if they went for linebackers, though. Cushing and Ellerbe?

The bottom line is that the Lions HAVE to get good at something. The Lions now are good at nothing. They have to fully commit themselves to being good at something. Either they must get good at protecting the QB and running or creating turnovers and stopping the run. With the bears and vikings, if you can stop Peterson and whoever is running the ball in Chicago, you have a good chance at winning 4 games right there. Stop Green Bay from running and pressure Rodgers and that's maybe 5. Not that they'll take 5/6 from the division, but it sure does increase your chances.
Or make a commitment to becoming that power running team that can protect the QB long enough to get it to Johnson and try to win games offensively. I say take OL because it's harder and more expensive to acquire them through free agency.
But if they do mix it up in the draft and take both OL and LB, they need to hit on EVERY single one of their picks, which I have no confidence of. But seriously, overhaul one area and put in good players, not backups. No more role-players or stopgaps. Just good young players.

So my opinion is to get offensive linemen early and get Carlos Dansby and Chris Gamble. If they do, I think it gets them to 7-9. Not a fluke 7-9 either. It's 7-9 with the 2010 draft and takes them to the playoffs by 2011.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

October 16th, 2008, 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Oher, Robinson, Mack...I dont know how well it would work out having three rookie OL possibly starting

October 16th, 2008, 7:38 am
QB Coach

Oher is the guy I really want with the first pick. With the next 4 picks, I would be happy with some combination of a G, DE, LB and CB. I also wouldn't mind if we picked up two LB or two guards

October 16th, 2008, 10:49 am
Pro Bowl Player

If the Lions get the number one pick...take the best player available, regardless of position, unless it is a WR. Hopefully that's a LT, but if its a DE or a DT or a LB or whatever...I wouldn't care. The Lions are weak in virtually every position so BPA is a great strategy here.

Assuming you do get an elite LT with the Lions top pick, use your second first rounder on a guard or a DT.

Use your first second rounder on whichever you didn't take with your second first..G or DT.

Use your second second rounder on a DE OR MLB if you don't like what Dizon has to offer.

Use one of your third rounders on a CB or SS.

Use your second third rounder on a WR.

4th/5th/6th picks should be spent on project linebackers/secondary that can contribute to special teams.

October 16th, 2008, 11:57 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

First of all, the Lions don't have a 4th or a 7th due to trades, but they do have two 1sts, two 3rds, and two 6ths for a total of 8 draft picks. With their first five selections, I feel the Lions absolutely must get an OT, OG, and a LB. The other two are open for debate, but I would lean toward another LB and a CB, but they could conceivably go in any direction. I also wouldn't mind a WR in the 3rd, as long as he had return ability.

October 16th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I think at this point its clear that if everything stays the same, Oher should be the first pick, outside of that its difficult to tell with so much time before the draft...

I'd go after Terrell Suggs DE BAL and Jordan Gross as hard as I could to solidify the LT and rush end positions that we currently have gaping holes at now... That frees us up from having to take Oher with our top pick (not that I don't like the kid cause I think he is great)... We just need help in so many places I think this scenario works out the best for us...

Rd 1 James Laurenitus ILB OSU - If we're going to fix this defense it starts in the front 7... Laurenitus is the steady pick and a great QB for the defense...

Rd 1 Alex Mack OC CAL - If I remember right Sly said that we'd save 4 mil for cutting Raiola... I'd try and trade him and draft this guy as his replacement...

Rd 2 Travis Beckum TE WISC - He's not much of a run blocker, but thats what Gaines is for... This guy can pressure the middle of the field and occupy safeties to help CJ on the outside....

Rd 3 BJ Raji DT BC - This defense lacks that big run stuffer in the middle... Hopefully this guy can fill that need and keep guys off Sims and Laurenitus...

Rd 3 Dominique Johnson CB Jackson St - Most of you haven't heard of this guy and neither had I, but a friend of mine told me about him so I did a little research... He was origionally recruited and played for Missouri, he transferred after a knee injury in 06.. He's 6-2 200 lbs and runs in the 4.4 range... Held his own at Mizzou before the injury and has dominated at the 1-AA level... People are comparing him to DRC from last years draft...

Thats what I would try and do... Pipe dream right?

October 23rd, 2008, 12:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Althought I dont have a problem with any of the players you like, we will have the #1 or #2 pick , and Laurenitis is a 5-10 Player on his best day.

You cant draft him at #1 or #2 money as the MLB. top pick Has to be an LT or a Franchise QB to jusity the cost.

October 23rd, 2008, 5:27 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

The Lions are so bad I don't think they should go into this draft targeting any positions, just draft the best damn players available with each selection. The Lions often select players based upon "position of need" resulting in reaching for players, not maximizing pick value, and an overall team that lacks talent.

Sure I'd love to see the Lions fill holes, but this isn't a team competing for a playoff spot yet so they need to build a foundation of solid players over the next 2-3 years. That doesn't mean you can't go into a draft with some strategy, say building from the lines out, but if you simply target a position with each pick you start getting into trouble - especially if the draft doesn't fall your way.

October 23rd, 2008, 8:19 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think at this point its clear that if everything stays the same, Oher should be the first pick, outside of that its difficult to tell with so much time before the draft...

I'd go after Terrell Suggs DE BAL and Jordan Gross as hard as I could to solidify the LT and rush end positions that we currently have gaping holes at now... That frees us up from having to take Oher with our top pick (not that I don't like the kid cause I think he is great)... We just need help in so many places I think this scenario works out the best for us...

First off, Gross doesn't impress me at LT. I think he is a far better RT, and believe that Carolina will keep him and move him back there after this season, flip-flopping him with Otah. Suggs would be a nice addition, but I don't see him leaving Baltimore. The Ravens will keep him.

Murtyle wrote:
Rd 1 James Laurenitus ILB OSU - If we're going to fix this defense it starts in the front 7... Laurenitus is the steady pick and a great QB for the defense...

Way too high for this kid. I like him, he's a tough as nails player. But he's not a top five player. I'd prefer either a franchise QB or a top flight LT. If, by some chance, there are none worth the pick, I'd go DE.

Murtyle wrote:
Rd 1 Alex Mack OC CAL - If I remember right Sly said that we'd save 4 mil for cutting Raiola... I'd try and trade him and draft this guy as his replacement...

Are you joking? You don't take a center in the first round unless he's a lock to be All World. I'd rather they took Duke Robinson to fill the RG spot than Mack. With a quality OG, Raiola isn't as much of a liability. My preference, however, would be to go with a CB or DE here.

Murtyle wrote:
Rd 2 Travis Beckum TE WISC - He's not much of a run blocker, but thats what Gaines is for... This guy can pressure the middle of the field and occupy safeties to help CJ on the outside....

While I like the idea of getting a talented TE, I'd wait here. This would be the spot to get our next starting MLB.......and this time pick one that actually plays MLB in college.

Murtyle wrote:
Rd 3 BJ Raji DT BC - This defense lacks that big run stuffer in the middle... Hopefully this guy can fill that need and keep guys off Sims and Laurenitus...

This is one position we don't need to use a pick on. OLB is the bigger need, because I truly don't see Dizon as anything more than the second coming of Ted Lehman.

Murtyle wrote:
Rd 3 Dominique Johnson CB Jackson St - Most of you haven't heard of this guy and neither had I, but a friend of mine told me about him so I did a little research... He was origionally recruited and played for Missouri, he transferred after a knee injury in 06.. He's 6-2 200 lbs and runs in the 4.4 range... Held his own at Mizzou before the injury and has dominated at the 1-AA level... People are comparing him to DRC from last years draft...

I'd be wary of any CB that has had major knee problems. I'd prefer to look at a very fast CB or WR (don't laugh) that is capable of being a damn good kick and punt returner here. This team NEEDS one in the worst way.

October 23rd, 2008, 2:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I know this is the draft thread but ive seen multiple people talk about Dizon not playing MLB in College.

Not that I think he should be our MLB , but my understanding was he played almost 4 Full Years as the MLB Started and Called the Defense from that position for the entire time. I thought we picked him because of his experience at MLB (and Huge Productivity) and the fact that he Ran the defense. Forgive me if Im wrong but could someone clarify (READ: Im too lazy to go to ESPN right now)

October 23rd, 2008, 3:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

First off, Gross doesn't impress me at LT. I think he is a far better RT, and believe that Carolina will keep him and move him back there after this season, flip-flopping him with Otah. Suggs would be a nice addition, but I don't see him leaving Baltimore. The Ravens will keep him.

I'm not sure what you don't like about Gross... He can run block and he is avg giving up 4 sacks a year... I'll take that all day long...

Quote:
Way too high for this kid. I like him, he's a tough as nails player. But he's not a top five player. I'd prefer either a franchise QB or a top flight LT. If, by some chance, there are none worth the pick, I'd go DE.

Disagree... What is it that this guy doesn't do well? Team captain, will be a 3 year starter at OSU registering over 100 tackles every year, hasn't missed a game his entire career, good in coverage, good on the blitz, sheds blocks well and will likely run under a 4.5 40 at the combine at more than 240 lbs... He's every bit worth a top 5 pick...

Quote:
Are you joking? You don't take a center in the first round unless he's a lock to be All World. I'd rather they took Duke Robinson to fill the RG spot than Mack. With a quality OG, Raiola isn't as much of a liability. My preference, however, would be to go with a CB or DE here.

I'm not going to pay Raiola 4 mil to not be "as much of a liability." This class of centers is very deep and because of that I thought about moving this back, but IMO Mack is the BPA... I thought about Robinson here, but he's had some discipline issues and I worry about him in pass protection... Mack is a better all around player IMO...

Quote:
While I like the idea of getting a talented TE, I'd wait here. This would be the spot to get our next starting MLB.......and this time pick one that actually plays MLB in college.

Who would you have in mind here? Ellerbe? Freeman? I'd rather have Beckum...

At this point, counting just Seniors this draft is very top heavy... That may change when the season matures and juniors declare, but I didn't take any of them into account... Which is why I think you guys think these guys are reaches...

Quote:
This is one position we don't need to use a pick on. OLB is the bigger need, because I truly don't see Dizon as anything more than the second coming of Ted Lehman.

Again this is a BPA scenario and watching this dline get pushed around makes me disagree with you... We don't have a true anchor on this defense to help clog the middle...

October 23rd, 2008, 6:18 pm
QB Coach

Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of OSU games, but in the games I have seen, Laurinaitis hasn't looked all that great to me. Especially against the top teams, he seems to shrink. I haven't seen him have a huge impact game against any top teams. That's a huge red flag to me. He seems like a solid MLB, but not a top tier player. I think he had the potiential to be great, but seems to have leveled off. That's not a good sign in my opinion.

October 23rd, 2008, 6:47 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The Lions are so bad I don't think they should go into this draft targeting any positions, just draft the best damn players available with each selection. The Lions often select players based upon "position of need" resulting in reaching for players, not maximizing pick value, and an overall team that lacks talent.

Sure I'd love to see the Lions fill holes, but this isn't a team competing for a playoff spot yet so they need to build a foundation of solid players over the next 2-3 years. That doesn't mean you can't go into a draft with some strategy, say building from the lines out, but if you simply target a position with each pick you start getting into trouble - especially if the draft doesn't fall your way.

The drafting the most "talented" player philosophy is what got us the "cant miss" Calvin Johnson and of course Mike Williams. You draft for talent in the NBA where you can roll out your best five on the court at a certain time. In football, you plug the hole of your largest leak. The Lions have had a bad offensive line for a decade. It is imperative to start up front. I had no problem with the Lions ,before the season, talking about running the ball more and eating clock.The problem is, it isn't possible to have a running game with this line. The first option when you have the #1 pick is of course trade, if no suitable offers, take the highest rated LT. Move on from there to another need. Preferably at LB.

October 24th, 2008, 4:29 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

I'm not sure what you don't like about Gross... He can run block and he is avg giving up 4 sacks a year... I'll take that all day long...

Quote:

Disagree... What is it that this guy doesn't do well? Team captain, will be a 3 year starter at OSU registering over 100 tackles every year, hasn't missed a game his entire career, good in coverage, good on the blitz, sheds blocks well and will likely run under a 4.5 40 at the combine at more than 240 lbs... He's every bit worth a top 5 pick...

Quote:

I'm not going to pay Raiola 4 mil to not be "as much of a liability." This class of centers is very deep and because of that I thought about moving this back, but IMO Mack is the BPA... I thought about Robinson here, but he's had some discipline issues and I worry about him in pass protection... Mack is a better all around player IMO...

Quote:

Who would you have in mind here? Ellerbe? Freeman? I'd rather have Beckum...

At this point, counting just Seniors this draft is very top heavy... That may change when the season matures and juniors declare, but I didn't take any of them into account... Which is why I think you guys think these guys are reaches...

Quote:

Again this is a BPA scenario and watching this dline get pushed around makes me disagree with you... We don't have a true anchor on this defense to help clog the middle...

It's not that I don't like Gross. He's a talented tackle, but I think he's better on the right side and I especially don't see Carolina parting with him. And remember, he's played most of his career on the right side.

As for Beckum, there's some question as to just how well his game would translate into the NFL. He has good speed and hands, but at 6-4, 235 he gets manhandled in the NFL by even a decent SS or SLB. Never mind what opposing DEs will do to him in the run game. Unless he can show that additional weight can be added without loss of speed or mobility, he slips. I'd prefer a small school kid in the later rounds, like Jared Bronson of Central Washington. He's 6-4, 260 and runs the same speed as Beckum. He kind of reminds me of Kevin Boss. As for the second round MLB I have an eye on, I have seen a couple of Mississippi State games and have been impressed with their guy. His name is Jamar Chaney, and he isn't quite as big as Laurinaitis, but he plays faster and hits like a truck. He hasn't been too bad in coverage, but can use some improvement. Remember that name, because he's going to rise up draft boards like Mayo did last year. Let's hope not as high or as quickly as Mayo.

YOU aren't going to pay Raiola?! Didn't know you were the Gatekeeper of the Lions checkbook. I just don't think taking a center in round one is that great of an idea. And if the class of centers is so deep, why make a pick in round one. That goes against standard thinking. I am not a Dom Raiola fan by any stretch, but I think upgrading our guards is more of a need than replacing him.

As for Laurinaitis, he has impressive stats in college. So what? So did Andre Ware and Mike Williams. How'd they turn out? I think JL will be a very good NFL player, but I just don't feel he's worth a top five. Top ten? Maybe. But I think side by side Patrick Willis will prove to be the better player in the NFL, and he went 8th overall. If the Lions are able to trade down and take JL in that spot, I wouldn't be upset by it. But I think QB and LT are much, much bigger needs right now. I'm not sold on either Stanton or Orlovsky. And Backus? Please, we need a LT to replace him ASAP. I think we can get a MLB in rounds two or three. Atlanta got their man (Curtis Lofton) in round two last year, and he's starting and playing wonderfully. Why MUST the Lions use a top five pick on this position?

DT? We took Andre Fluellen last year, and he can fill that NT position. Landon Cohen is more of a 3 tech tackle. I'd like to see Fluellen replace Darby, and have Cohen to backup Redding (or replace him, if necessary) and allow Langston Moore or Shaun Cody walk.

October 24th, 2008, 1:14 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

It's simple really: sign Albert Haynesworth if somehow possible. You move Redding to DE opposite White, and he makes them instantly servicable. Plus your LB's are left free to make plays.

A dominate DT makes your entire defense better.

Then you taker Oher #1, Spikes or Curry in the 20's, and Mack in the 2nd round. Your team all of a sudden can be a 7-8 win team if you get any semblance of consistent QB play.

By the way, I fully endorse the signing of David Carr. He works with the best QB coach in the NFL imo in Chris Palmer. He isn't going to be great, but he is worth the flier.

October 24th, 2008, 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next