View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 What the Lions SHOULD do in '09 
Mr. Irrelevant

I noticed a lot of you are high on Spikes. I know hes a good player, but you have got to agree he has a high chance to get himself booted from the league early. To me he's just a signing bonus away from being Pacman Jones.

I don't think this is an accurate statement at all... Just curious as to what makes you think that... He's never been in trouble to my knowledge and he is considered a team leader at Florida... The Lions would do very well to nab him with their 2nd 1st rd pick...

December 11th, 2008, 4:21 am
NFL Veteran

Its really just the very dumb decisions Spikes makes after plays, like punting the ball into the stands. I just feel like its really easy for him to take that off the field once he has money. He seems out of control sometimes, but that could just be because Urban Meyer lets him. I guess I'm exaggerating and being unfair since I dislike players that are willing to penalize their team for dumb reasons and because every time I see a Florida game it seems like I always see Spikes taunting a downed player. Hes just not my type of player. Very good football player though.

I really think we should go after Cushing from USC since he could be available late 1st. He looks to be a very good player and actually looked great at Mike filling in for Maualuga. Maualuga is a freak, but Cushing is more pro ready and could possibly be better overall.

December 11th, 2008, 5:03 am
Team MVP

Its really just the very dumb decisions Spikes makes after plays, like punting the ball into the stands. I just feel like its really easy for him to take that off the field once he has money. He seems out of control sometimes, but that could just be because Urban Meyer lets him. I guess I'm exaggerating and being unfair since I dislike players that are willing to penalize their team for dumb reasons and because every time I see a Florida game it seems like I always see Spikes taunting a downed player. Hes just not my type of player. Very good football player though.

I really think we should go after Cushing from USC since he could be available late 1st. He looks to be a very good player and actually looked great at Mike filling in for Maualuga. Maualuga is a freak, but Cushing is more pro ready and could possibly be better overall.

Not to pull a Don Imus, but these black guys gotta STOP going to these damn clubs! One guy gets suspended for a crime because of issues at a night club, so the next guy goes. Theyre stupid. You have the greatest job in the world and you go to these dang nightclubs. As long as Spikes stays away from nightclubs, he should be alright in the NFL.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 11th, 2008, 12:22 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Not to pull a Don Imus, but these black guys gotta STOP going to these damn clubs! One guy gets suspended for a crime because of issues at a night club, so the next guy goes. Theyre stupid. You have the greatest job in the world and you go to these dang nightclubs. As long as Spikes stays away from nightclubs, he should be alright in the NFL.

wow...soudns a little bit racist

December 12th, 2008, 12:15 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

rao wrote:

Warren Sapp had the same problems plus a weed habit coming out of Miami. He went to Tampa, had a distinguished black man in Dungy to look up to and was on his best behavior his entire hall of fame career. Very similar situations with Randy Moss and Cris Carter with Denny Green in Minnesota. The Lions next coaching staff should provide the kind of support system to nurture these young players into something great instead of passing on these type of players for the "safe" choice.

December 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:

Say what you want, but you dont hear of a white guy involved in a crime at a nightclub very often. Theyre stupid. My job isnt anywhere NEAR what the NFL pays and I still try and stay away from any trouble because im very lucky to have the job I have. Not these fancy NFL stars though. Stupid.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 12th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Stallion wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Say what you want, but you dont hear of a white guy involved in a crime at a nightclub very often. Theyre stupid. My job isnt anywhere NEAR what the NFL pays and I still try and stay away from any trouble because im very lucky to have the job I have. Not these fancy NFL stars though. Stupid.

My previous post isnt to say theres a discrepancy between black and white NFL players getting in trouble as theres a share of white players like Jared Allen,Matt Jones and Kerry Collins whos had their issues. Its a scouting issue and a coaching issue. If a talent like Charles Rogers got drafted to New England rather than a team with Marty Mornhinweg as coach, his career would have been markedly different.

December 13th, 2008, 2:13 am
Towel Boy

I hope we pick Andre Smith to take over at LT for the next decade. If one of the 2 Qbs comes out (Bradford or Stafford) take whatever one does. Then take best T OTB at the dallas pick. Round 2 take Alex Mack. Round 3a-Clay Matthews, 3b-Victor Harris

December 13th, 2008, 3:29 am
Peanut and Beer Salesman

If none of the QBs come out.
I hope we pick Andre Smith to take over at LT for the next decade. If one of the 2 Qbs comes out (Bradford or Stafford) take whatever one does. Then take best T OTB at the dallas pick. Round 2 take Alex Mack. Round 3a-Clay Matthews, 3b-Victor Harris

I agree with Smith 1st, (Oher possibly). for our second 1st round pick I would probably have to go with Mack. For second round I would probably go with one of the LB from USC, or Victor Harris because I don't think they will be left in the 3rd round yet. Then we should look for QB,(if we only have 2 QB's on the roster) because this draft class won't be too bad, so there should be someone decent left down here. Then we need to help out our defense more, some CBs or LBs.

December 13th, 2008, 10:30 am
NFL Veteran

For second round I would probably go with one of the LB from USC, or Victor Harris because I don't think they will be left in the 3rd round yet

Once the combine results roll in I don't think Spikes or the 2 USC linebackers will be left into the 2nd. All 3 have an outstanding size and speed combination.

December 13th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Maybe its just me, but I don't think the two correlate... He's never had any off the field issues to date and I don't think its a fair statement to make about another person... Especially to compare him to a chronic trouble maker like Jones...

Sure Spikes gets fired up during the game, but to my knowledge nothing he has done has cost his team anything... They've been when Florida had control of the game... Personally, I'd like to see some more fire out of our defense...

This is the kind of thing I hear from Gainesville...

Quote:
08/19/08 - Leaders motivate in different ways on the football field. Some use harsh words. Others use positive reinforcement or a slap on the helmet or shoulder pads. Middle linebacker Brandon Spikes of No. 5 Florida just needs to make eye contact. "He doesn't have to yell at you," said outside linebacker Brandon Hicks, a sophomore who has gotten his fair share of glares. "He'll look at you and you already know what you did wrong." The gaze is relatively new for Spikes. It's part of the 6-foot-3, 245-pound junior's new persona as the leader of UF's defense. It's a role he didn't fulfill last season and one he vows not to take lightly in 2008. "Last year, I wasn't really much as a vocal leader. I let Derrick Harvey and Tony Joiner do that because they were the older guys, but I kind of regret it now," Spikes said. "Right now it's about somebody stepping up and taking ownership of the defense. I feel like me being a junior, growing up, making a couple plays last year, it's time. Guys respect that I can play on the field so now I just want to take part of being a leader on the defense." Spikes certainly played the way a leader is expected to in 2007. His 131 tackles was second in the Southeastern Conference and earned him first-team All-SEC honors. He also recovered three fumbles and broke up seven passes, but Spikes said he should have made more big plays. - Naples News/AP Sports

December 13th, 2008, 9:57 pm
NFL Veteran

I guess I have to just change my position since the evidence does seem to alleviate any concerns I've had with Spikes. I must only notice Spikes when he's doing something that annoys me.

December 14th, 2008, 12:46 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stallion wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Like dh86 said Jared Allen,Matt Jones and Kerry Collins have all gotten in trouble.

Also I am willing to bet more athletes both white and black go to clubs and don't get in trouble in comparision to those who do get in trouble. Individuals who do get in trouble may have done something stupid and gotten in trouble but it has nothing to do with race. I don't have any percentages or anything but im pretty sure there are a lot more black players in the NFL then white players also making the chances of you hearing of something bad happening with a balck player more likely.

December 14th, 2008, 2:09 am

1) It's more the location of the clubs than the individual person, IMO. Most of the inner city stars happen to be black, and most people from those areas tend to go back to those areas, or party in similar areas. My Detroit friends can't stand going to Royal Oak, Birmingham, or Grosse Pointe. They generally party in Detroit or at the ghetto bars in the suburbs.

2) It's more the "friends" that are the problem than the individual. These people have to learn that "if they want things they've never had they have to do things they've never done." Instead they want to do the same things that they did in the City, and hang around with the same people (i.e. be the big fish in a little pond... their area of the ghetto) and they end up getting into trouble.

3) I will admitt, however that these athletes are making stupid decisions as individuals. Bringing a gun to a bar when you are a multimillionare is just plain stupid. For one, you can afford to go to any club in the world, so why don't you pick one that has good security, and for two, if you're that worried about it PAY someone to be your body guard. Pay someone with a CCW permit and some sort of license to carry it.

December 14th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Plus, isn't a CCW permit voided when the carrier consumes alcohol? i.e. you can only carry when you're not drinking? Why go to a club when you can't have a beer without violating a weapons statute?

December 15th, 2008, 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next