View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vernon Gholston 
Water Boy

Post Vernon Gholston
I live here in NY and all of the local media and fans have been growing increasingly discouraged with the drafting of Vernon Gholston. He is having a very difficult time adjusting to the 3-4. I was reading the article below:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ant_g.html

It got me thinking - I loved Gholston last year before the draft and thought he would be an excellent 4-3 DE. Obviously he was drafted long before we had a shot at him - but I wonder now if the Jets would be looking to cut their losses and try to move him to a team that runs a 4-3 Def. I'm not sure what his value would be in the off-season but we do have a second 1st rounder OR our early 2nd rounder we could potentially offer (not sure if his salary would become an issue with our cap). Thoughts???

October 22nd, 2008, 5:11 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I wouldn't give up a first for him now. He could prove to be a total bust. I would offer a third and/or a player that might fit the position better: Cliff Avril. Though I would be very cautious if the Jets were looking to part with a top ten pick after only one year.

October 22nd, 2008, 5:29 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Jest won't be moving Gholston anywhere for at least another year if not two. The cap hit for eating his signing bonus would be too high. Not to mention it would be bad football to give up on a rookie changing positions after just one season.

October 22nd, 2008, 5:35 pm
They've already paid his signing bonus and the issues with his contract are more theirs than ours should we trade for him, IMO. NY would take a big cap hit should they trade him in the upcoming 2nd year of his contract.

That said, I think I would be willing to give up our 2nd 1st round pick (the pick we received from Dallas) to get him. He was undoubtedly the top of the pass rushing class last year, and we are horrific on our DL. Johnson looks to be the premier pass rusher coming out this year, and I'm not as excited about him as I was Gholston. IMO picking Oher and getting Gholson in a trade would be akin to getting Oher and Johnson, if not MORE (Gholson has had an additional year of developement, and IMO he was a better pass rusher coming out of OSU last year), and we would be getting it without the enormous signing bonus that the 2nd player would have due.

October 22nd, 2008, 5:36 pm
RIP Killer

The Jets would likely want a first round pick...taking a 2nd round pick for the #4 overall player only one-year old (draft-wise) is ludicrous.

I would trade them Redding for Gholston, and even throw in a 4th rounder...contracts would be close and Redding would be a good DE for them.

Avril would be a terrible fit for them, as they already have a handful of good pass rushing LBs...just like that Michigan guy we were all clamoring for during the draft last year that is becoming quite the stud...oh yeah, David Harris. Talk about a steal.

October 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Actually, the Jets would take a ZERO cap hit if they traded him before his option bonus/salary advance kicked in. This normally happens around March 15th, but every team is different. In case you didn't know, most teams stopped paying 1st round picks a signing bonus a couple of years ago. In fact, in 2007, only four 1st rounders received a signing bonus. This is done to get the maximum value of the contract, while complying with the rookie pool allocation and the 25% rule. It would take me forever to explain it, so just trust me on that one.

As for Gholston, his contract is valued at $50M over five years, if he reaches the $17.5M worth of incentives. If you subtract the $2.32M that the Jets are paying him this year, that leaves a possible $47.68M to be paid over four, or a whopping $11.92M per year average. Because of that, I'd have to say No!

October 22nd, 2008, 8:02 pm
RIP Killer

He is no bust, too early. Gholsten is a beast, but he just might need some time in the system. I'm tired of people giving up on players after .5-2 years.

October 22nd, 2008, 10:29 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Avril would be a terrible fit for them, as they already have a handful of good pass rushing LBs...just like that Michigan guy we were all clamoring for during the draft last year that is becoming quite the stud...oh yeah, David Harris. Talk about a steal.

They use, or at least they want to, Gholston as an OLB. Harris is an inside LB. If they gave up Gholsten, they would be short an OLB hence Cliff Avril. And even if the jets would do the trade, what does that say about Gholston?

October 23rd, 2008, 2:02 am
RIP Killer

This is something not even worth discussing. Just because the fans and media in NY are upset with Gholston doesn't mean the coaches or organization are. New York is known as a tough market for any player to be accepted in. Look at all the sh!t Eli got his first two years there.

That being said, there is no way that the Jets trade him.

October 23rd, 2008, 12:41 pm
Team MVP

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 26th, 2008, 11:30 pm
QB Coach

It was funny, you heard some scouts talk about how he was going to be a giant bust because of how he took plays off. His highlights looked GREAT, but if you saw game film of him, he doesn't do much the 35 other plays he was in there. McShay didn't like him, Bob McGinn had detailed write-ups from actual NFL scouts (C.O. Brocato of the Titans was often used) about how he was overrated and I think he had multiple DEs rated ahead of Gholston.

October 27th, 2008, 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

I seem to remember alot of guys saying Mario Williams was a bust because he didnt do anything his !st year. All I heard is how they messed up by not taking Reggie Bush. Now how many have ate those words by now. Mario is a beast and givin time to produce Im sure Gholsten will also.

October 28th, 2008, 11:03 am
Profile YIM
Peanut and Beer Salesman

It also hurts they test so thoroughly for steroids in the pros.

October 30th, 2008, 4:06 pm

It does???

October 30th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

ErnieSimsKilledKennedy wrote:

It does???

Let's put it this way .. Steroids allegations don't dog a kid in high school and college without cause. Where there is smoke there is generally fire.

October 30th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next