View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 QB or LT? 
Team MVP

Post QB or LT?
I dont know about you guys, but if we get the 1st pick, I realyl want Michael Oher. I think now is our chance to get a dominant left tackle. But some would say its our chance to get a franchise QB. IMO, a QB cant do crap behind a bad O-line. What do you think?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 30th, 2008, 11:10 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: QB or LT?
kdsberman wrote:
I dont know about you guys, but if we get the 1st pick, I realyl want Michael Oher. I think now is our chance to get a dominant left tackle. But some would say its our chance to get a franchise QB. IMO, a QB cant do crap behind a bad O-line. What do you think?

I think it's been proven time and time again that a great QB can't do much when he doesn't have protection. See: Brady, Tom vs. New York Giants, Super Bowl XLII

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 31st, 2008, 12:35 am
QB Coach

As everyone here knows I'm all for drafting Oher. He should be a great LT for years.

October 31st, 2008, 12:38 am
Team MVP

Im all for it too. I know we desperately need defense, but Oher you just cant pass up. I think this offense can work wonders if we just had a good O-line. If we had the oppurtunity to take Oher, we'd be absolutely stupid to pass.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 31st, 2008, 1:33 am
Player of the Year - Defense

There are a lot of great LTs in the upcoming draft, and not that many teams targeting them.

The Lions could get a fine LT with the 1st from the cowboys.

October 31st, 2008, 4:00 am
Walk On

There are a lot of great LTs in the upcoming draft, and not that many teams targeting them.

The Lions could get a fine LT with the 1st from the cowboys.

I dont want us to get just a fine LT. I want a Walter Jones/Orlando Pace type LT to dominant for years to come. From what I've seen and heard Micheal Oher could be that player.

October 31st, 2008, 6:57 am
RIP Killer

Michael Oher could be that type of player, but no one is saying he is that type of player.

Tony Mandarich was supposed to be a great LT. So was Bryant McKinnie, and Mike Williams, and a host of other tackles taken early in round one. Few of them have lived up to expectations.

Now, look at Sam Baker. He was taken 21st in this last draft, and he is performing pretty well as a rookie starter for Atlanta.

That being said, I believe that the Lions have to make a determination; is there a franchise style QB in this draft? Is there a blue chip, sure fire prospect that will blossom into a top notch signal caller? If not, then look to go with the franchise LT.

So far, the only QB that may be worth a top ten pick is Matt Stafford, and I'm not convinced he's a sure fire prospect.

But here's the thing, with all of the tackles taken in round one this past draft, few teams will be looking for a franchise LT. Expecting that our pick from Dallas will be around the 17-20 area, we could still find a solid LT that could very well be a stud.

Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith.....there's three who will probably go top ten. But who are the 'second tier' tackles who could be gems?

Jason Smith, Phil Loadholt, Jamon Meredith, Alex Boone......those guys are your second tier players to keep an eye on. I think Loadholt and possibly Boone are projected RTs in the pros, but Smith and Meredith will likely be available in the middle to late part of round one, and are very good players. If, somehow the Lions end up taking Stafford, then the next pick needs to be a LT.

I know some say that because of his contract Backus isn't going anywhere. That's fine......keep him and move him to LG or RG or RT or let him be a backup. Whatever the case, the protection provided has been abysmal and it starts at LT.

Keep in mind that the Lions still will need a CB, and possibly a DE. Avril and IAF may yet become good, if they continue to get more playing time. But Kelly sucks, Fisher sucks and Keith Smith is best as a nickel guy. Wilson should be released, and Bodden is serviceable but is not in his comfort zone (pun intended) playing in this defense.

And depending on how serious his problem is, we may need someone to replace Gerald Alexander as the projected starter at FS next year. Bullocks will be fine, but we need someone else to play next to him. Kalvin Pearson isn't it, and Dwight Smith will be gone.

And we're still looking for a MLB for this defense, cause Dizon ain't it.....

October 31st, 2008, 8:42 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: QB or LT?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I think it's been proven time and time again that a great QB can't do much when he doesn't have protection. See: Brady, Tom vs. New York Giants, Super Bowl XLII

I'll take a 16-0 regular season record and loss in the last minute in the Super Bowl on an amazing catch any day.

Lomas Brown was a great LT, how many playoff games did the Lions win with him? I would have rather had Montana, or Young, or Elway, or Aikman, or Favre, or ..........

This year is loaded with OTs, there is sure to be a very good one when the Lions are taking their second 1st round draft pick. Are you planning on playing your stud QB right from the start? Most are in favor of sitting him for a year in which case you could even grab one next year as well (because you can plug in a rookie LT much, much easier than a QB who often take as much as three years to develop). Ever year you pass on a QB is another year of lost development.

Tell you what, living in Texas I see a ton of great QBs at the HS level and college level, 21 Div 1 starting QBs are from Texas including many worth looking at in the pros including two facing off this weekend - Colt McCoy vs. Graham Harrell. Matthew Stafford, Chase Daniel, the list goes on and on. When you see what a great QB does for a team and then you see what the Lions continue to throw out there year after year you understand why this is the most pathetic team in the NFL - and it isn't the LT position over the last 50 years.

October 31st, 2008, 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Although I am an offensive line guy but I think we have to go QB. However, I feel that most the QBs that are draft eligible are spotty at best. McCoy, Harrel, Bradford, Daniels are all huge gambles IMO. Matt Stafford with our first rounder could work. Josh Freeman with our second first, or Nate Davis with our 2nd are the guys I would like for QB's but outside of those 3 I dont see much to be excited about. I think we also need to draft a LT with one of our first 3 picks and 1-2 OG in the first 5 picks.

October 31st, 2008, 11:50 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I'm making an early prediction right now. It'll be Orakpo!

October 31st, 2008, 12:27 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I think the Lions need to take the CJ type player with their first pick, regardless of position, as long as it isn't a WR, WSLB, or RT.

By "CJ player" I mean the guy who everyone agrees is an elite talent with a low risk of being a bust. The Lions must not force a pick just because they want a franchise QB or a franchise LT or whatever. In the 2005 NFL draft, Braylon Edwards was clearly the best player. But the 49ers wanted a "franchise QB". Look at how that turned out.

So if one of the college QBs is considered the next Manning--then fine, draft him. But if its a CB, or a MLB/SSLB, or a DE, or a DT, or Safety, or even a RB--take him. The Lions need to add elite level talent to this team. They can target specific positions with their later picks.

October 31st, 2008, 12:39 pm
QB Coach

Look at what the Browns did last year. They rebuilt their O-line and won 10 games with a QB they picked up off waivers who was a 6th round compensatory selection of the Ravens.

Right now (if I counted right) 12 of the QBs around the league that are or would be starters but for injury are first round picks. For every stud QB there is a Ryan Leaf. That happens with every position but I think the risk is greater with a QB. One reason I really like Oher is that he has had to face a lot of adversity and put in so much work just to get to where he is now. He knows the level of work he has to put in to succeed and I think he will keep that up in the NFL.

There are a lot of "IFs" when it comes to drafting a QB early next year. IF Stanton actually gets evaluated in games at some point this season and IF he proves he can't be "the guy" (which by the way I don't think he will be the guy) and IF any of the QBs in the draft look like a Manning/Rivers/Cutler/Roethlisberger type then I'll change my mind about it.

Not saying I don't want a stud QB at some point, I just don't see next year as the year to do it. I want us to rebuild the line and the defense.

Oher with our first first and either Curry or Spikes with our second first, unless a DE falls to that spot. Followed by some combo of G, DE(or LB if we took a DE in the first) and CB.

October 31st, 2008, 1:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Im Probably the only person who feels this way (and this was after reading Ohers life story)... but pending on how they do the rest of the season...

I like Andre Smith of Alabama over Oher. I do think LT has to be tiehr our 1st or 2nd pick This year so our new younger rebuilt oline can begin Gelling.

We need a good qb, i just dont see 1 worth the #1-3 selection yet.

October 31st, 2008, 5:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I've wanted a new LT about the same time they drafted Backus. However unless one of the LTs can seperate themselves from the others between now and draft day I wouldn't mind not using that first pick on a LT. Right now its just too early to say which way they should go without knowing which guys are going to enter the draft at a few positions of need.

October 31st, 2008, 5:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

I'm not sure yet which of those 3 LT's will be a ProBowl stud, but I'd guess at least one and possibly 2. We've just got to make the tough call and decide who. As for QB's, I don't see anyone worthy of being a top-3 pick in this draft. I'm not even sure I'd take one with the Cowboy's pick. I'm strongly in favor of taking the best player available at a few select positions of need (the Lions' list is long). Picking a QB at #1-3 overall just because we need one makes no sense, if there is not a great QB available in this draft. I'm not going to force matters if the great player doesn't exist. Don't reach. That's how we got Joey Harrington at #3. Millen reached; don't be like Millen. This is a weak crop of QB's. A decent affordable QB should be available from the 2nd Round on. He can compete with Drew Stanton for the starting job. Meanwhile, this is a strong draft for LT's, including 3 who are projected as top-5 talents. This is not an area to compromise and settle for "good enough". Get the best LT.....period. I understand not wanting to compromise on a QB either, but that guy just doesn't exist in this draft.....and if he does (as a Tom Brady-type sleeper), he'll be available later anyway. Don't force it, don't reach.

Don't force it, don't reach......take a top-5 overall LT with the top-3 overall pick, take a 1st-Round caliber MLB, SLB, OG, RT, CB (if available), DE (if available) with the Cowboy's 1st Round pick......then rinse and repeat in subsequent rounds, with a QB where appropriate. Don't reach for a QB! :arrow:

November 2nd, 2008, 1:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next