HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

QB or LT?
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11655
Page 13 of 16

Author:  GridIronHeroes [ January 16th, 2009, 2:30 pm ]
Post subject:  The bottom LINE

Build the line. How many teams have to prove that a QB isn't worth anything on his back before we get the message?

Drafting a QB can be rewarding. Look at the 2004 class. But really, this isn't the 2004 draft. Rivers, Big Ben, and Eli aren't there.

Garcia, Favre, Warner, Collins, Ol' Gus, and Griese all float around the league in free agency and at some point this season played very well.

In Warner's case he was an MVP candidate.

Cassel hadn't started since high school and took his team to 11 wins.

I don't want any of them, but my point remains:

Quarterbacks are out there. Orlovsky or a FA can weather this storm while we build a winning team.

Draft a QB, yes, but do it when we are certain they are the QB we want.

In the meantime, stop embarrassing all of us fans in hopes that one or two players will win football games. 11 players are required on the field.

LT, no question.

Author:  Pablo [ January 16th, 2009, 2:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Welcome to Lionbacker GridIronHeros!

Nobody was interested in drafting a QB in 2004 either so we took Roy Williams when we could have had Big Ben.

If you draft a QB with the top pick you can still build the OL at the same time. OT is very deep, you can get a very good one at pick two or round 2. The Lions won't draft a C or RT this year so your other two spots are the guards. You pick one of those and perhaps sign one in FA and you have...

LT - top 33 pick
G - draft pick or FA
C - Raiola
G - draft pick or FA
RT - Cherilus

and a QB... Your QB sits behind Culpepper for a season and by the time he starts playing next season you could have drafted another guard or center. You have it all.

In-other-words, you can take a QB with the top pick and still build the OL - the two are not mutually exclusive.

However, if you only build the line and don't take a QB you have an OL and are missing the most critical position on the field still. Next season the Lions start winning a few games and don't get a shot at the top QB.

Let me say this, however. All of what I have said is based on a determination that their is a very good shot at finding a franchise QB with the first pick, of course if that isn't the case you go in a different direction. This team simply cannot afford to pass over a franchise QB. And let me qualify, a franchise QB is not a HOF QB. I'm looking of a guy that you know will be the QB of your franchise for the next 10+ years - that is a piece you can build around.

For all of you who want to pass on a QB this year, what is your plan to acquire one? Who are you targeting?

If the Lions think Stafford or Sanchez is the best QB who will be available the next two years they take him. If you like McCoy, Bradford, or some other QB better that is fine but realize that if you don't have the top pick again in 2010 you likely won't land him (and how many NFL teams have had back-to-back top overall picks).

Author:  hamma77 [ January 16th, 2009, 2:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd rather have Orlovsky behind that line than Culpepper, Look what he did vs the Colts when he had time to throw. The Colts pass D is pretty good too if I recall.

And IMO, there is no Big Bens in this draft. Although I don't think a Big Ben type would be good for us, because he turns the ball over so much. We don't have the Steelers defense to let a QB turn the ball over that much.

If we don't have a top 10 pick then atleast were winning games..I'd take winning games over a top 10 pick anyday.

Author:  GridIronHeroes [ January 16th, 2009, 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Okay... so my priorities are still fulfilled despite maybe taking QB at 1.

But next year's QBs seem more worthy of the pick (and the $).

Does anyone really see us turning this around in one year like Miami? I have to see us with a top 5 pick next year.

I hope I'm wrong, and I guess it would say bad things about our new execs to plan on losing, but again, I see no viable option at QB this year.

Build a TEAM. CHOOSE a quarter back.

Author:  hamma77 [ January 16th, 2009, 3:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think they need to build the lines. I just think they need to address both sides of it. I saw it posted before so I won't take credit, but they should pick out 5 guys (lets say Stafford, Smith, M. Jenkins, A Curry, someone else worthy of top 5) and just sign whoever will take the least money. We need each of those positions, so whichever one we draft will help improve us. (Besides QB, might not even play first year)

Flacco wasn't even supposed to play, Smith came down with a sickness and Boller got hurt so he was forced into the role.

Author:  dh86 [ January 16th, 2009, 3:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pablo wrote:
Welcome to Lionbacker GridIronHeros!

Nobody was interested in drafting a QB in 2004 either so we took Roy Williams when we could have had Big Ben.

If you draft a QB with the top pick you can still build the OL at the same time. OT is very deep, you can get a very good one at pick two or round 2. The Lions won't draft a C or RT this year so your other two spots are the guards. You pick one of those and perhaps sign one in FA and you have...

LT - top 33 pick
G - draft pick or FA
C - Raiola
G - draft pick or FA
RT - Cherilus

and a QB... Your QB sits behind Culpepper for a season and by the time he starts playing next season you could have drafted another guard or center. You have it all.

In-other-words, you can take a QB with the top pick and still build the OL - the two are not mutually exclusive.

However, if you only build the line and don't take a QB you have an OL and are missing the most critical position on the field still. Next season the Lions start winning a few games and don't get a shot at the top QB.

Let me say this, however. All of what I have said is based on a determination that their is a very good shot at finding a franchise QB with the first pick, of course if that isn't the case you go in a different direction. This team simply cannot afford to pass over a franchise QB. And let me qualify, a franchise QB is not a HOF QB. I'm looking of a guy that you know will be the QB of your franchise for the next 10+ years - that is a piece you can build around.

For all of you who want to pass on a QB this year, what is your plan to acquire one? Who are you targeting?

If the Lions think Stafford or Sanchez is the best QB who will be available the next two years they take him. If you like McCoy, Bradford, or some other QB better that is fine but realize that if you don't have the top pick again in 2010 you likely won't land him (and how many NFL teams have had back-to-back top overall picks).


Name all of the franchise quarterbacks currently in the NFL.

Author:  GridIronHeroes [ January 16th, 2009, 3:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think Donovan has made it a decade.

Brett WAS one.

Then P. manning and T. Brady.

Looks like Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Cutler, E. Manning, and Matt Ryan have potential to be.

Eli is gonna make 100,000,000. Does that make him franchise?

Author:  hamma77 [ January 16th, 2009, 3:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Proven ones imo are Tom, Peyton, Drew, Donovan, and I'll throw in one of the most under rated players ever Matt Hasselbeck on the list. He had a down year this year, but he was always good before this year.


up and coming ones, Eli, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers.


and yeah, Favre was one

Author:  Pablo [ January 16th, 2009, 3:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

dh86 wrote:
Name all of the franchise quarterbacks currently in the NFL.


Brady and Manning are some of the best of all-time. Farve is now near if not at the end so I wouldn't include him.

McNabb is an eventual HOF QB so he certainly qualifies. Brees is the next closest thing. Warner, at this point in his career, is certainly questionable so I'd leave him off. You can leaver Palmer off if you want as well, but most GMs would consider him a franchise QB.

Then you have the young guns who teams don't really have to worry about a QB - I like Cutler and then a bunch of the "R" boys - Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, and Ryan.

That is 9 guys, give or take, right there. I think you could make an argument on Manning II, maybe Flacco eventually gets there. I wouldn't rate them any higher than guys like Delhomme and Bulger.

In reality probably about 25-30% of the teams have a franchise-type QB at any given time. Those teams are much more likely to make the playoffs/SB on any given year.

IMO - you have one of these type of QBs you have a big advantage on the rest of the league. You can still "get there" without one, but you better be very adept at player personnel decisions across the board to add that many key pieces and win without a QB. From what I have seen over the years, the Lions simply don't have the organization and scouting department to pull that off.

In theory, many of you are correct in how you want to build a franchise from the bottom or LOS out. Where you are mistaken is given the Lions organization credit to be able to get so many personnel decisions right that they can win without a QB. Ain't going to happen. We have a much higher probability of getting lucky at the QB spot and building enough talent around them to be a contender.

Look, what I want is a team good enough to be in the game and a QB who can lead them down to a victory on the final drive. When was the last time the Lions had a QB who gave you hope at the end? And I'm telling you right now, I have no faith in Dan Orlovsky leading the Lions to a victory in the final moments of a game. Do you? How bout Culpepper? Stanton? My answer is the same for all of them. How bout Kitna, nope you just knew he was going to throw a pick.

Now close your eyes and imagine the Lions having a QB who can win the game on the final drive of game...that is a franchise QB and something we have lacked for 50 YEARS!

Keep putting that off and you keep putting off being a contender unless you have a LOT more faith in this organizations ability to make smart personnel decisions than I do.

Bottom line - many of you are correct in how you would build an NFL team but many of you are not taking into account this is the LIONS we are talking about.

Author:  Honolulu_Blue [ January 16th, 2009, 4:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pablo wrote:
dh86 wrote:
Name all of the franchise quarterbacks currently in the NFL.


Brady and Manning are some of the best of all-time. Farve is now near if not at the end so I wouldn't include him.

McNabb is an eventual HOF QB so he certainly qualifies. Brees is the next closest thing. Warner, at this point in his career, is certainly questionable so I'd leave him off. You can leaver Palmer off if you want as well, but most GMs would consider him a franchise QB.

Then you have the young guns who teams don't really have to worry about a QB - I like Cutler and then a bunch of the "R" boys - Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, and Ryan.

That is 9 guys, give or take, right there. I think you could make an argument on Manning II, maybe Flacco eventually gets there. I wouldn't rate them any higher than guys like Delhomme and Bulger.

In reality probably about 25-30% of the teams have a franchise-type QB at any given time. Those teams are much more likely to make the playoffs/SB on any given year.

IMO - you have one of these type of QBs you have a big advantage on the rest of the league. You can still "get there" without one, but you better be very adept at player personnel decisions across the board to add that many key pieces and win without a QB. From what I have seen over the years, the Lions simply don't have the organization and scouting department to pull that off.

In theory, many of you are correct in how you want to build a franchise from the bottom or LOS out. Where you are mistaken is given the Lions organization credit to be able to get so many personnel decisions right that they can win without a QB. Ain't going to happen. We have a much higher probability of getting lucky at the QB spot and building enough talent around them to be a contender.

Look, what I want is a team good enough to be in the game and a QB who can lead them down to a victory on the final drive. When was the last time the Lions had a QB who gave you hope at the end? And I'm telling you right now, I have no faith in Dan Orlovsky leading the Lions to a victory in the final moments of a game. Do you? How bout Culpepper? Stanton? My answer is the same for all of them. How bout Kitna, nope you just knew he was going to throw a pick.

Now close your eyes and imagine the Lions having a QB who can win the game on the final drive of game...that is a franchise QB and something we have lacked for 50 YEARS!

Keep putting that off and you keep putting off being a contender unless you have a LOT more faith in this organizations ability to make smart personnel decisions than I do.

Bottom line - many of you are correct in how you would build an NFL team but many of you are not taking into account this is the LIONS we are talking about.


While I do agree that QB is one of the greatest needs that the Lions have, I'm not sure this is the year to do it Pablo. I can understand if there is a surefire Franchise QB in the draft, but there really isn't one that's apparent right now. That could change, because we all know how draft boards and player rankings settle as it gets closer to the draft. Who's your guy?

Stafford? I really don't want that guy at the number one pick. IMO he hasn't shown enough to warrant that pick with no regrets or doubts. Nice tools, but as a pure QB, he's at the same stage as Jamarcus Russel was when he came out. Even though Stafford played three years, this is the first year he played at a premier level. So in my book he's basically a one-hit-wonder. And there is ZERO evidence showing a one-hit-wonder succeeding as a rookie QB. Watching Bradford, now there was a guy who at least had the 'it' factor, who demonstrated the moxie with more consistency. But like Stafford, to me he was one year too early as well. If they both came out, I was all for the 20th pick gamble. Two 'alleged' first round QB's made the probability that one would be available at 20. If both were available, then one may even fall to the 2nd round. Now there is only one. Demand exceeds Supply, so I like the idea of using Stafford to get more picks.

Sanchez is now out, but I've soured on USC QB's. They have too much talent around them, so their value is inflated IMO. Only Carson Palmer is a solid USC QB. Leinart, bleh. Booty, bleh. Maybe Cassel, but he's the one exception to every single rule there is on drafting a QB.

From a personel and scouting point of view, Stafford should have joined Bradford and returned. I would feel a lot better if Stafford could play at the same high level one more year when defenses game plan for him. Bradford already has the accuracy, but being a third year Sophomore kind of worried me. If he can repeat what he's done this year, I'll be all over him next year.

What other alternatives are there? We could shoot for Donovan McNabb, who is reportedly on the outs after this season. Maybe we could offer a mid round pick for Vince Young. Being the Hawaii homer, I would love to try to get Colt Brennan in here from the Redskins. Just brain storming.

Other than that, if we are gonna use the draft for a franchise QB, it just seems like this is not the year to do it.

Author:  Pablo [ January 16th, 2009, 5:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey HB, you know I always love to read your well-thought out posts and this one is no exception. I agree with pretty much everything you said (although Young seems to have become a head case and I'm not from Hawaii so I'm not as high on Colt).

It would have been nice if Stafford and Sanchez stayed in school, next year would have been a very interesting QB class. Add them to Bradford, McCoy, etc. and see who filters to the top.

As for who I like, I'm not sold on any of them but I need to take a longer look at Stafford who reminds me a bit of Cutler when he came out. I live in Big 12 Country so I hear/see a lot of Bradford and McCoy, while Stafford is from here in Dallas so I've followed him since high school.

I'm not convinced Stafford isn't the best of the lot of them. IMO he has a good arm making "all the throws". He has played on a Georgia team that isn't nearly as talented as the USC, Texas, and Oklahoma's of the world. Hell, I don't know if I've ever seen Bradford's jersey get dirty - that concerns me.

I'm not saying he has "IT" or is the guy, but I'd like to look at him a little more. Then again, you know I fall in love with one or more QBs every year and I'm only right about half of the time so... That said, if it took the Lions drafting Stafford this year and McCoy/Bradford next year with our top pick I personally would do it because I think finding a QB is that important if both project as franchise type QBs.

In a city like Dallas where football rules, the whole city realized that between Aikman and Romo they would never have SB aspirations because they didn't have a franchise QB. The Cowboys have a lot of issues and Romo isn't a proven commodity by any shot, but a least their is a chance now and they are building a team around him expecting him to be the guy for the next 5-10 years.

While you don't necessarily need a franchise-type QB to win a SB, it certainly helps - just look at the past winners:

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I
Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II
Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII
Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV
Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X
Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV
Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII
Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX
Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX
Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI
Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV
Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV
Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Sure you can find a Dilfer or Rypien on the list, but they are the exception to the rule.

Author:  Honolulu_Blue [ January 16th, 2009, 6:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I wholeheartedly agree with you, and think we are on the same page that we need a franchise QB.

I can understand you're enthusiam with Coach Schwartz decree (albeit tongue in cheek) that it's time to find Bobby Layne's replacement. Because I think he's right that a great QB is like a trump card that can mask a lot of deficiencies.

That said, it looks like Stafford is the only one who has any inkling of being a Franchise QB. Maybe with workouts and further scouting, he may move up there. As it stands however, I just have way too many question marks that would have been settled if he went back to school.

With those question marks, I'd consider it a reach if we took him at the 20 pick, but I probably would consider it. I too am a big proponent of playing the market and drafting according to value. If he's the top QB, then it would merit serious consideration at 20. If our top prospect did the unthinkable and fell out of the first round, I would unhesitatingly pull the trigger with the 33 pick due to draft value.

Of course this is all preliminary, I'm interested in seeing how the prospects shake out as we get closer to the draft.

Author:  sweetd20 [ January 16th, 2009, 7:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stafford at this poitn is ahead of Jamarcus after two years in the NFL. Russell coming into the league wasn't a great passer from the standpoint of the little things that make a QB succeed when everything isn't in their favor. He's not very good at going through his progressions, reading defenses, throwing from different platforms, making throws under duress. Stafford can do all of those his big flaw so far has been consistancy but he has imporved every year and his numbers this year were actually on par with Peyton's when he was a junior. He's not Peyton and I doubt we will ever see a QB like him in quite some time but Stafford isn't as bad as some would like to make it seem.

If they get the chance and go back and watch some Georgia games with an open mind instead of looking for the negatives they will see everything that gives him a good chance to be a good NFL QB. I also think people have this misconception that Georgia was loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. Yes they had Moreno but they had the SEC version of the Detroit Lions O-line, a freshman as their best WR and no TE security blanket. When you go back and watch the games you can see a lot of the inconsistacy came from the supporting cast more than Stafford. People say he forced too many passes into tight windows but if you watch the WRs they did poor jobs of getting any seperation on those plays. Yes he had plays where he said coverage be damned I'm making that throw no matter what. But how many big name NFL QBs that haven't throw two or three of those passes every game?

The positive of Stafford is his accuracy when he's in tune with his receivers and the big plays that result when he hits those guys in stride. If you look inside the numbers you can find something interesting. Georgia as a team threw for 163 first downs. Now Stafford didn't throw every pass this year but I'd guess he was responsible for about 158 of those first downs. If you combine those first downs with his TDs (25) and divide those 183 completions by his total of 235 that comes out to 77.8% of his passes either moving the chains or going for a score. He also commands a huddle and will make play changes at the line based on the defense. The thing that I like the most about Stafford is his ability to drop back, set, read, and release. His delivery is one of the best I've seen since Dan Marino. I was always amazed by how quickly and effortlessly that ball would leave Marino's hand and be on the receiver's hands. Stafford's technique isn't perfect but it's really close. As I said earlier he doesn make throws that make you want to slap him in the head but that's what you get from these kinds of QBs.

If Detroit drafts him they can't just give him the job because he is the #1 overall pick but if he earns it like Ryan did then put him out there and see what happens. They will need to improve the O-line and I have been calling for this for a good six years if not more. I think if they take Stafford #1 (I hope they can trade out) they either have to go LT with their other 1st rounder or make a run at a guy like Khalif Barnes if he hits the open market. I'd rather have Barnes and look at defense with that second pick. They will also have to get a TE that can make a play or two and a guy that can take a swing pass or screen for a big gain. I like Smith as a RB but the big play theat isn't really there. I doubt Stafford would have a Ryan year even with an Atlanta running game, they are different QBs but I think by year two you would see a guy ready to take that next step.

There are just too many LTs right now that are too close, unless somebody runs away after all-star games and/or the combine to go #1 with LT. Liek I said trade down and then go LT, defense, or Stafford if he's still there. But at #1 right now I really like Stafford's potential as a playmaker at the QB position and I hate taking QBs early. If they do take Stafford I'd really like Barnes at LT, either Mack at C or try and get Jason Brown from Baltimore he can play C or G, look at Robinson or Johnson in the draft to upgrade the G position, and get some playmaking ability at TE and a explosive guy out of the backfield. It might not be a pretty sight year one as they all learned to play together but that could be a nice core of talent for a five or six year run.

Author:  dh86 [ January 16th, 2009, 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pablo wrote:
Hey HB, you know I always love to read your well-thought out posts and this one is no exception. I agree with pretty much everything you said (although Young seems to have become a head case and I'm not from Hawaii so I'm not as high on Colt).

It would have been nice if Stafford and Sanchez stayed in school, next year would have been a very interesting QB class. Add them to Bradford, McCoy, etc. and see who filters to the top.

As for who I like, I'm not sold on any of them but I need to take a longer look at Stafford who reminds me a bit of Cutler when he came out. I live in Big 12 Country so I hear/see a lot of Bradford and McCoy, while Stafford is from here in Dallas so I've followed him since high school.

I'm not convinced Stafford isn't the best of the lot of them. IMO he has a good arm making "all the throws". He has played on a Georgia team that isn't nearly as talented as the USC, Texas, and Oklahoma's of the world. Hell, I don't know if I've ever seen Bradford's jersey get dirty - that concerns me.

I'm not saying he has "IT" or is the guy, but I'd like to look at him a little more. Then again, you know I fall in love with one or more QBs every year and I'm only right about half of the time so... That said, if it took the Lions drafting Stafford this year and McCoy/Bradford next year with our top pick I personally would do it because I think finding a QB is that important if both project as franchise type QBs.

In a city like Dallas where football rules, the whole city realized that between Aikman and Romo they would never have SB aspirations because they didn't have a franchise QB. The Cowboys have a lot of issues and Romo isn't a proven commodity by any shot, but a least their is a chance now and they are building a team around him expecting him to be the guy for the next 5-10 years.

While you don't necessarily need a franchise-type QB to win a SB, it certainly helps - just look at the past winners:

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I
Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II
Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII
Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV
Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X
Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV
Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII
Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX
Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX
Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI
Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV
Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV
Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Sure you can find a Dilfer or Rypien on the list, but they are the exception to the rule.


One would have to be insane to draft Stafford and a top QB next year and see who rises to the top. While that would be happening, there would be a massive cap expenditure on two players not ready to play in a position where only one player can play. That would not be winning football. Much hullaboo has been made about the signing bonus given to the #1 draft choice, and how getting a 'franchise' QB would be the only choice. That makes no sense. When a 35 million dollar bonus is given to a player, it should be given to a player who can come in and start immediately, and give the max value on the 5-6 year contract given. There is virtually an empty roster spot at left tackle. If you are taking a QB #1 and he is sitting for 2 years, you are still on the hook as far as paying him and cap number. The Lions absolutely have to start their #1 draft choice from day 1 given cap implications. First Round Quarterbacks who have sat a year though,this decade, (Rivers,Palmer,Rodgers,Pennington) have definitely had a good success rate. With the #1 draft choice, though, the safe choice has to win out every time. How do I know I wont see the inaccurate Matt Stafford who struggles to complete 60% of passes? If he has started 39 games at Georgia, yet still has phases where he plays like a freshman, that is a red flag. How do I know that he is even better than Josh Freeman? Freeman didnt wow me either last year, but he sure didnt have a Knowshon Moreno or AJ Green at Kansas State either. Similar builds and skillsets with Josh being a little taller and having a little stronger arm. Minus the hype machine. Mark Sanchez seems to have the higher upside than each, but with only 16 starts at QB, he has less starts than any other first round QB in recent memory. None of these guys can line up in 2009 and produce. None of these QBs are even top 10 prospects in the draft. It would be akin to an NBA team taking a Serbian 7 footer because he is a center rather than forwards and guards who dominated college basketball. You are correct that there are many good LTs in this draft, and we can definitely get one that can start in Round 1. In that case though, take Aaron Curry #1.

Author:  jrd66 [ January 16th, 2009, 11:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Lionbacker scouts who now say Stafford is not a franchise QB were saying last year that Mayo would be a reach at pick 15 and the Lions could trade down to 23 and get him at his proper value.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/121408/ ... 2650.shtml

Page 13 of 16 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/