View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 QB or LT? 
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
Great article!!! Wait till next year, we can get our QB then!

But but...we may win too many games next year to get a franchise passer!

Then the myth that you can't win without a franchise QB would be blown to bits.

January 22nd, 2009, 1:13 am
Walk On

Ah, but 6 wins probably deprives us of our choice of QBs. But it doesn't disprove the franchise QB mantra because 6 wins isn't really winning...

I remember in years past posting roughly even records with pretty weaksauce teams. In this league you can trip on a yard line and accidentally land in 6 wins. Except in '08. This was the year of God's wrath. The final year of the Curse. The perfect storm of suckage.

-ILMP

January 22nd, 2009, 2:38 am
NFL Veteran

Nice to see someone out of Detroit not automatically having us draft a QB.

Barker Davis*Washingtontimes wrote:

First down

TAKE YOUR PICK » Which QB should Detroit select first overall in the draft: Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez?

Matt Stafford; The Georgia slinger unquestionably has the stronger arm. The strong-armed Texan could throw a perfect spiral through a piece of Plexiglas from 60 yards. His numbers improved every season at Georgia, concluding with a junior season in which the 6-foot-3, 237-pound gunner completed 235 of 383 passes (61.4 percent) for 3,459 yards, 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Neither Stafford nor Sanchez qualifies as particularly mobile (both were sacked 17 times), but the Georgia junior (20) is two years younger.

Mark Sanchez; Though the Southern Cal junior lacks Stafford's massive arm strength, Sanchez is a more accurate passer who can make all the throws. In his first full season as USC's starter, Sanchez completed 241 of 366 passes (65.8 percent) for 3,207 yards, 34 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Unlike Stafford, who had two full seasons at the helm of the Bulldogs, Sanchez should have another performance leap in his future.

Our take; The Lions would do themselves a favor by drafting can't-miss Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith or trading the top pick because both Stafford and Sanchez have serious issues. Sanchez needed another year of seasoning at USC. He's the better player, but what NFL team wants to hand the keys to its franchise to a player with one year of college starting experience?

Associated Press Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford

Stafford's issues are more worrisome. First, he looks like he has never seen a weight room and could eat himself out of the league before his first snap. Second and more importantly, Stafford performed poorly in big games... almost without exception. In four games against top-10 defenses this season, Stafford threw three touchdowns and six interceptions.

January 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Ah, but 6 wins probably deprives us of our choice of QBs. But it doesn't disprove the franchise QB mantra because 6 wins isn't really winning...

I remember in years past posting roughly even records with pretty weaksauce teams. In this league you can trip on a yard line and accidentally land in 6 wins. Except in '08. This was the year of God's wrath. The final year of the Curse. The perfect storm of suckage.

-ILMP

Why wont we throw the season next year. 0-16 puts us first in line for Bradford! Thats flat out stupid. Its about putting together a football team to win. The Lions dont play to get a QB high in the draft. Winning six games still likely puts us in the top 10 anyway. Having an improved team only makes it a better situation for the incoming young QB to have success. That is the only thing that matters. The QB being successful.

January 22nd, 2009, 6:45 pm
National Champion

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7 ... ?post=true

Just thought I'd point out that there are people out there that believe our biggest issues have nothing to do with either our QB or our LT. I'm starting to think that myself, we can deal with LT when dipshits contract runs out.

January 27th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

So here's my draft strategy for round one:

Let's agree--as most analysts do at the moment--that the top four LTs are Oher, A. Smith, J. Smith, and E. Monroe. All of these guys will go in round 1. Let's further assume that the Lions have these guys closely matched as well and would be happy to draft any of them.

#1 If we can assume these things to be true, then PASS on LT with the top pick. Take the best player on the board (aside from Crabtree). QB, defense, whoever they feel comfortable signing to a huge contract.

#20 Wait until #20 to get one of those four LTs. One of the four should drop to #20. If three of these players are gone before the Lions pick at #20 and only one is left, then trade UP to get the last remaining LT. Trading up shouldn't be terribly costly unless there is an expected run on LTs early in round one; we might only move up 2-3 spots to get the guy we want.

So now we've spent the #1 pick on the best player in the draft and still gotten a LT that we like a lot. Again, this is assuming that the Lions like all four of the LTs almost equally.

January 27th, 2009, 8:25 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Let's agree--as most analysts do at the moment--that the top four LTs are Oher, A. Smith, J. Smith, and E. Monroe. All of these guys will go in round 1. Let's further assume that the Lions have these guys closely matched as well and would be happy to draft any of them.

#1 If we can assume these things to be true, then PASS on LT with the top pick. Take the best player on the board (aside from Crabtree). QB, defense, whoever they feel comfortable signing to a huge contract.

#20 Wait until #20 to get one of those four LTs. One of the four should drop to #20. If three of these players are gone before the Lions pick at #20 and only one is left, then trade UP to get the last remaining LT. Trading up shouldn't be terribly costly unless there is an expected run on LTs early in round one; we might only move up 2-3 spots to get the guy we want.

So now we've spent the #1 pick on the best player in the draft and still gotten a LT that we like a lot. Again, this is assuming that the Lions like all four of the LTs almost equally.

That is a BIG assumption to think that a quality OLT prospect will be there at #20.

St. Louis, Seattle, Cinci, Oakland, Jacksonville, Green Bay, and Washington could all be in the market for an OLT.......and Washington has the lowest pick at #12.

If the Lions had to move up from #20 to #11.........that would cost a 2nd round pick that they certainly can NOT afford to give away.

Last year.......there were 5 OTs taken in the first 19 picks. The 6th OT was taken at #21, and seven of them in total went in round 1.

You can't "plan" for good OLTs to fall to the #20 pick!!!

The other 31 teams all value a good OLT.......... and many teams are also figuring out how they can get 1 of their own in this draft.

January 27th, 2009, 11:01 pm
Walk On

That is a BIG assumption to think that a quality OLT prospect will be there at #20.

Not really. His list of 4 is one short as Eben Britton is a first round stud too. I've even seen Oher projected at 20 in at least one mock.

Quote:
Three biggest needs: (1) Size in the interior defensive line; (2) A playmaking linebacker; (3) Upgrade at both guard positions.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU faulkn22 for posting that link. This guy's assessment is spot on and exactly where I think our biggest needs are. I have advocated taking 2 guards (Robinson/Johnson), LB (Curry), and DT (Brace). This is in fact my favorite draft scenario.

The guards are weaker than Backus. In fact, Mariucci just singled out Backus and Raiola as guys you want to keep around long term (Interview on 'Jungle' board). I'm not suggesting I agree with that, just that there are worse positions. With two guards, we should see marked improvement on run and pass downs. 2 guards > 1 LT on a bad day.

We are definitely too small at DT. Brace is a big step up in size and quality over what we have now. I like Raji, but I don't see a scenario for picking him up without losing picks to do so. It'd be great if we could get a second DT from the draft or agency.

Everyone knows our LB corp is weaksauce, but no one seems to want to pay the price to fix it. Lennon and Nece aren't the answer. I personally think SLB Dizon, MLB Aaron Curry, WLB Sims IS the answer. Schwartz is the guy who can tailor the D to fit their strengths. In a couple years, I see a top tier unit.

-ILMP

January 27th, 2009, 11:23 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

mwill2 wrote:

St. Louis, Seattle, Cinci, Oakland, Jacksonville, Green Bay, and Washington could all be in the market for an OLT.......and Washington has the lowest pick at #12.

If the Lions had to move up from #20 to #11.........that would cost a 2nd round pick that they certainly can NOT afford to give away.

Last year.......there were 5 OTs taken in the first 19 picks. The 6th OT was taken at #21, and seven of them in total went in round 1.

You can't "plan" for good OLTs to fall to the #20 pick!!!

The other 31 teams all value a good OLT.......... and many teams are also figuring out how they can get 1 of their own in this draft.

Phunny, I respect your posts and the data you use to back up your points. However, in this case, you've missed the larger trend by only examining how the 2008 draft unfolded.

My proposal involves four OTs. If we look at the past ten years, the fourth OT was drafted with the following picks:

2008: 15
2007: 35
2006: 50
2005: 49
2004: 34
2003: 37
2002: 29
2001: 43
2000: 38
1999: 21

So, over the past ten drafts, the average draft position of the fourth LT is #35. I don't think that any of the four guys I mentioned will be there at #35 this year but it is not at all unreasonable to think that one will be there at #20. In fact, only once in the last ten years was the fourth OT drafted earlier than #20 and that was last year. You'd have to go back to 1994 to find another draft in which the #4 LT went earlier than #20 (and that was #19, Todd Steussie).

But let's consider your scenario in which all four LTs are drafted by the 12th pick. You'd have to go back to 1992 to find a year in which that happened. Odds are, my plan works.

And if there happens to be a run on tackles and all four LTs happen to be gone by #12, then that means that LOTS of great players will drop to our #20 pick. Other teams will be dying to trade up with us or we can keep the pick and grab one of those expected gems. Win-win.

:D

January 28th, 2009, 1:31 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I've been thinking that the Lions should be taking a LT with the first pick, but for some reason its getting harder and harder for me to justify it with Orlovsky being the only viable option at QB. Culpepper is done. Kitna sucks. Stanton, who knows. Backus is serviceable.

Whoever suggested that Guards be taken should get a gold star. The current manifestation of the Lions guards is pathetic. However, I don't think like Herman Johnson and wouldn't go near him with a 20 foot pole. He's huge and slow. No thanks.

Is Curry a legit #1?

January 28th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Walk On

Is Curry a legit #1?

Who are you asking? Who is qualified to answer? Ultimately only WCF or Martin Mayhew can answer that. I think he is as legitimate as any one who we could take there. I wouldn't feel comfortable with any one else at #1. But that's just one opinion. He can do anything that the position requires and he is versatile enough to play any of the three LB spots. He is well rounded and his game has no glaring flaws. Does that make him worth it? You tell me.

Linehan apparently thinks Backus is solid and plans to keep him. While that doesn't 100% mean we don't take LT, I'd say it is a pretty good indicator. The writing is on the wall, so to speak. That leaves QB- ewww. WR- double ewww. Or maybe a reach for a DT or CB. I don't like any of the other options. Curry would be good reason to send both Lennon and Nece (in favor of Dizon) packing. Let's do it.

-ILMP

January 28th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16