View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2010 QB Draft Class 

Which 2010 QB should the Lions draft?
Sam Bradford (Oklahoma) 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
Colt McCoy (Texas) 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Mark Sanchez (USC) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Matt Stafford (Georgia) 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
Tim Tebow (Florida) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

2010 QB Draft Class 
RIP Killer

Post 2010 QB Draft Class
Assuming they all stay in school (and the Lions don't take a QB this year), which of these QBs would you like to see the Lions draft in 2010 which is shaping up to be a banner year for NFL prospect QBs potentially.

November 3rd, 2008, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Colt all the way! He has showed heart and determination over the last 4 games and that is what I want in a QB.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 3rd, 2008, 2:45 pm
RIP Killer

Colt all the way! He has showed heart and determination over the last 4 games and that is what I want in a QB.

So did Kitna, and what did that get us?

I voted for Stafford. He has an NFL arm and that's something that can't be taught. I feel everything else will fall into place, and come 2010 this will be the top player available regardless of position.

November 3rd, 2008, 3:47 pm
RIP Killer

Haven't had the opportunity to see them all play. Tewbow IMO is just not going to be an NFL guy. Colt looks dang good, but slighty at times. Bradford just has too much talent around him to look bad.

Stafford just looks to me to be the best translation into the NFL. But once again, I've only seen each play 1-3 times.

November 3rd, 2008, 6:08 pm
LionsFan4Life wrote:

So did Kitna, and what did that get us?

I voted for Stafford. He has an NFL arm and that's something that can't be taught. I feel everything else will fall into place, and come 2010 this will be the top player available regardless of position.

I'm with you 100%... I don't want to draft Texas' 2nd coming of Jesus in Colt McCoy. He seems like the kid that's been handed everything and born and bread football. These people seem to have sever difficulty over-coming their first major challange. You could argue that NCAA DI ball is challanging but the slow immersion process, lack of expectation when you're young, and degree of difficulty are vastly different than the NFL. Also, taking this kid out of his comfort zone for the first time in years, if not ever, may pose a problem too... Let some team like Minny draft that bust!... I'm not 100% sure that he won't do anything in the NFL, but IMO he is a boom or bust type of guy and I don't want to take that chance.

Additionally, I too like Stafford. Not only does he have a good arm, but I have seen him step up and take a leadership role in the locker-room. He seems well composed and well liked by his teammates.

Another Qb I like (but I can't seem to remember his name) is Louiville's Qb... Cantwell??? He's shown flashes of having "it," and looks promising. I am NOT, however, a Curtis Painter fan... It may be Purdue's putrid offense (I didn't want the U of M game), but I don't respect his arm or play.

While Sanchez has shown similar qualities of having "it," I would stay away from him. I believe he like 5'11 or 6'ish, and at least 2-3" smaller than his competition. While there have been smaller Qb's that have had success in the NFL, why take a guy with a knock on him when there is similar talent there that doesn't have those problems?

If I had my way we'd take the leftover of Stafford/Cantwell (if that's his name!!!) at whatever their draft projection is (assuming that both aren't graded as top 10 picks)...

November 3rd, 2008, 6:09 pm
RIP Killer

I'm with you 100%... I don't want to draft Texas' 2nd coming of Jesus in Colt McCoy.

But perhaps the only QB who can really break the curse of Bobby Layne is another UT alum???

:wink:

November 3rd, 2008, 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Another Qb I like (but I can't seem to remember his name) is Louiville's Qb... Cantwell??? He's shown flashes of having "it," and looks promising. I am NOT, however, a Curtis Painter fan... It may be Purdue's putrid offense (I didn't want the U of M game), but I don't respect his arm or play.

:D

November 3rd, 2008, 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

Ive only seen a few L-ville since he became their QB , but Cantwell looked Terrible. Like Undrafted Free Agent Terrible. I have no idea what hes like as a leader but I did not see much talent and The decision making was not there.

Maybe his measurables are immense (i truly dont know) , and maybe hes an amazing teamate/leader (again , dont know) but unless he has become an entirely different QB in the time since I saw him, i am very suprised to hear his name mentioned as a potential top QB.

November 3rd, 2008, 9:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

Florida might have been the closest Stafford gets to seeing NFL type athleticism. I have to say that I am highly skeptical about this guy. Managing only ONE touchdown in a blowout loss in a big game with a decent Georgia team?? This guy should be separating himself; instead he looks average- maybe below... Against NFL talent and speed. Good night. Arm or no arm- he's no sure thing in my book.

Despite hating Florida and the poor transition of spread QBs- I must admit I am curious about Tebow. Could he make it in the NFL? I dunno. His rushing success will likely not translate well. He's just not that fast. But I like his size and maybe that would mean durability. If we're talking Detroit... it has been my opinion for years that we need a QB with the ability to buy time with his feet. Our O-line isn't going to the pro-bowl overnight. A guy that can move outside the pocket can pick up some slack while we develop the line.

How many immobile QBs have we had- sitting back in the pocket waiting to fall down? I think back to the Scott Mitchells and Charlie Batch's. Joey Harrington was the worst- Kitna can't run. DanO looks like he could win the special olympics-maybe... Stanton can run, but God won't let him play. Seriously- how many sack happy pocket passers will we play before we realize we can't protect them. Get someone who can run- because that is the ONLY thing we can count on! Detroit QBs run for their lives. Period. Stafford is a pocket passer. Which is exactly why we shouldn't even look at him. How good will his NFL arm look while throwing from his back???

You know I'm right. Don't come back with some Mike McMahon BS. I mean legitimate QBs. And JT don't count either. He runs for SF now. Graham Harrell went to Texas Tech because we wanted to be able to run. Well, sign him up- he aught to love it here. :D

November 3rd, 2008, 10:40 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Stafford is over rated... Tebow, Bradford, Harrell and McCoy are all intriguing, but difficult to tell how much is their talent, how much is the talent around them and how much is the system?

Personally, I like Sanchez... His TD to INT ratio is good, has good size at 6-3 225 lbs, plays in a pro style offense, can make all the throws, his mobility is under-rated and may be there later in the draft than the others...

November 3rd, 2008, 11:28 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Honestly I don't feel Sanchez is any better then Booty.

All McCoy does is throw short screens and is a system QB

Bradford is a system QB and has all his reads and audibles done for him and has a ton of talent arround him

Tebow is a Fullback

Out of that list the only QB is Stafford, others to keep an eye on our Josh Freeman Kansas ST and Nate Davis Ball ST

November 4th, 2008, 1:04 am

Booty could make it as a WCO qb. he didnt have half the natural talent as sanchez.

Harrell is interesting depending on where he goes.

Im not saying stafford isnt a 1st rd pick.. and he certainly could end up being the best in the bunch... but id rather spend a lower pick on Harrell or wait until next year and give stanton a shot this year either way.

November 4th, 2008, 2:51 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Harrel is another spread system QB's I wouldn't waste a pick on him

November 4th, 2008, 7:52 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Tebow is a Fullback

Couldn't have said it better. The guy doesn't have any place in the NFL unless he can somehow add 20-30 lbs without losing speed.

November 4th, 2008, 2:37 pm
Stadium Announcer

(QB size/speed numbers from Walterfootball.com)
(2008 Season Stats from rivals.com)
(numbers through 9 games except for Tebow, Sanchez, and Cantwell 8 games each)

Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Assuming they all stay in school (and the Lions don't take a QB this year), which of these QBs would you like to see the Lions draft in 2010 which is shaping up to be a banner year for NFL prospect QBs potentially.

First off, I've said before that I'm strongly in favor of drafting a Franchise LT with the top 2009 pick, and this is why. The 2009 draft has elite LT's worthy of a top pick, but probably no QB's worthy of taking in the top 10, let alone #1. By comparison, the 2010 draft is deep in QB's, with potentially multiple top-10 picks. Don't compromise on a "good enough" LT now, don't gamble on a "project"......get an elite one now, when you have a golden opportunity. Don't reach for a QB now, get one in 2010.....when you have another golden opportunity. Besides, with the QB prospect picture being muddled now, this gives us a year for the contenders to sort themselves out, lowering our risk.

OK, on to the list. I'm looking for both talent and production. QB's without the size, arm, or speed to be NFL starters routinely don't get drafted, regardless of production, which is why you don't see Chase Daniel or Todd Reesing on this list. For every Doug Flutie there are thousands of Paul Smiths. Conversely, just because a QB is tall and has a big arm isn't enough if he isn't productive, especially if he isn't productive at the college level. Can you say "project"? Don't reach for unproductive guys like this.

Sam Bradford OU 6-4 214 4.70 speed
8-1 record, 202-297 (68.0%) 3086 yds, 34-6 TD-INT, 189.0 QB Rating
hat45.gif
This was my pick. He's got size, a good arm, good speed, production, and efficiency. He picked up the system quickly and was productive from Day 1. He plays smart and seems like a leader. Sure, he's surrounded by good players, but so is Matt Stafford.

Matt Stafford UGA 6-3 237 4.74 speed
7-2 record, 159-262 (60.7%) 2211 yds, 12-8 TD-INT, 140.6 QB Rating
:thumbsdown:
That's it??? Overrated. On paper, he looks fast enough, but he's a pocket QB. He's surrounded by great talent, but isn't productive. He disappears in big games. His leadership and physical talent doesn't translate into results.
InterimLionsMasterPimp wrote:
Quote:
Florida might have been the closest Stafford gets to seeing NFL type athleticism. I have to say that I am highly skeptical about this guy. Managing only ONE touchdown in a blowout loss in a big game with a decent Georgia team?? This guy should be separating himself; instead he looks average- maybe below... Against NFL talent and speed. Good night. Arm or no arm- he's no sure thing in my book.

It takes more than a big arm to make it in the NFL. That's why Drew Bledsoe won't be going to the Hall of Fame despite being drafted #1 overall, yet Tom Brady (#199 overall) probably WILL be in Canton. The best QB's, even pocket QB's like Brady and Manning, are often described as being smart, making good decisions with the football. Stafford doesn't do that. This is his first season with at least (barely) a 60% completion rate. His 12-8 TD-INT Ratio is troubling. The guy doesn't make good decisions with the football. Whatever "system" your "system QB" is in, he's still expected to have a high completion percentage and an efficient TD-INT ratio, especially if he isn't in a prolific spread offense. Stafford doesn't seem smart enough now......how is he going to be smart enough to learn an NFL playbook and adjust to the faster speed of the pro game? How can he make even quicker decisions in the NFL, when he's not smart enough now against college competition? I don't see what people see in him, other than falling in love with that big arm and maybe some leadership. Stafford looks like a reach. He looks like a project. He looks like a glorified Hunter Cantwell. I wouldn't take him in the 1st Round at all.

Tim Tebow UF 6-3 235 4.52 speed
7-1 record, 114-177 (64.4%), 1569 yds, 14-2 TD-INT, 162.7 QB Rating
5footballhelmet.gif
The current fad in college football is the Spread Offense. There are lots of different types of Spread Offenses and Spread Option Offenses out there today. Some emphasize the pass more, some the run. With Tebow, Florida uses his run skills a lot. Accordingly, Tebow's pass numbers are not prolific, but his completion ratio is good and his TD-INT Ratio is fantastic. He has a very good QB Rating. He makes good decisions with the football. Tebow has the size, speed, and arm of an NFL starter.
InterimLionsMasterPimp wrote:
Quote:
Despite hating Florida and the poor transition of spread QBs- I must admit I am curious about Tebow. Could he make it in the NFL? I dunno. His rushing success will likely not translate well. He's just not that fast. But I like his size and maybe that would mean durability. If we're talking Detroit... it has been my opinion for years that we need a QB with the ability to buy time with his feet. Our O-line isn't going to the pro-bowl overnight. A guy that can move outside the pocket can pick up some slack while we develop the line.

As for speed, we don't need somebody with the speed of Michael Vick......those types usually neglect developing their passing skills. But we also don't want a pocket QB until we can at least get some chunks of an offensive line in place......and we're fresh out of chunks. A QB with good mobility (like Drew Stanton) who can also throw well would help us now and in the future. See, here's the thing......with more and more of all Division 1 schools going to a type of Spread Offense (including a lot of the elite programs with the best QB talent), are you going to say you're not even going to consider most of the top QB prospects because they happened to play in a Spread Offense??? Tebow has the skills. He has solid efficiency numbers. He strikes me as less of a "system QB" than most. My hunch is Tebow could play well in most any system. I like him.

Mark Sanchez USC 6-3 225 4.71 speed
7-1 record, 144-221 (65.2%), 1884 yds, 22-7 TD-INT, 163.3 QB Rating
hairsad.gif
"Please step out of the car and hand over the yardstick."
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:
While Sanchez has shown similar qualities of having "it," I would stay away from him. I believe he like 5'11 or 6'ish, and at least 2-3" smaller than his competition. While there have been smaller Qb's that have had success in the NFL, why take a guy with a knock on him when there is similar talent there that doesn't have those problems?

Sanchez is perplexing, with nice efficiency but not much production on a team with a recent history of higher QB production. Ultimately, I expect Sanchez to shrink a few inches by the time he reaches the Combine.....making it all moot. Buyer beware.

Colt McCoy UT 6-3 205 4.69 speed
8-1 record, 218-276 (79%), 2579 yds, 23-5 TD-INT, 181.4 QB Rating
5bullwhip.gif
Very nice completion percentage, good TD-INT ratio, but I'd like to see more production. Physically, he seems a bit slight, like Colt Brennan or Chris Simms. He looks like a good college quarterback. Whatever happened to Todd Blackledge?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:
I'm with you 100%... I don't want to draft Texas' 2nd coming of Jesus in Colt McCoy. He seems like the kid that's been handed everything and born and bread football. These people seem to have sever difficulty over-coming their first major challange. You could argue that NCAA DI ball is challanging but the slow immersion process, lack of expectation when you're young, and degree of difficulty are vastly different than the NFL. Also, taking this kid out of his comfort zone for the first time in years, if not ever, may pose a problem too... Let some team like Minny draft that bust!... I'm not 100% sure that he won't do anything in the NFL, but IMO he is a boom or bust type of guy and I don't want to take that chance.

I agree. He reminds me too much of Chris Simms, who also had things handed to him. McCoy has been less productive than Bradford both on the season as a whole and head-to-head. The Red River Shootout could have gone either way and it's not all due to McCoy that Texas won. Bradford played well; he was productive and efficient that day as well as the rest of the year. I'm not saying McCoy won't make it, but he has to prove it to me still. I wouldn't reach for him.

Other guys of note who were mentioned for this year or next:
Josh Freeman KSU 6-6 249 4.83 speed
4-5 record, 182-298 (61.1%), 2431 yds, 15-8 TD-INT 140.8 QB Rating

unimpressive speed, production and efficiency......but he's big and tall. Yeah, so was Scott Mitchell. :roll:

Hunter Cantwell UL 6-5 230 4.79 speed
5-3 record, 136-233 (58.4%), 1579 yds, 12-10 TD-INT, 123.7 QB Rating
:puke:
Barf. He's got a big arm, but plays like crap......but he's got a big arm. A poor man's Matt Stafford. Did I mention he's got a big arm?

Curtis Painter, PU 6-4 223 4.85 speed
3-6 record, 165-295 (55.9%), 1762 yds, 6-10 TD-INT, 106.0 QB Rating
:puke:
Double barf.

Graham Harrell TT 6-2 206 4.73 speed
9-0 record, 292-413 (70.7%), 3681 yds, 30-5 TD-INT, 165.9 TD Rating
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
Another Texas Tech "system QB"? I don't know. Probably, but has more of a shot than his predecessors.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:

DJ-B wrote:
Quote:
Ive only seen a few L-ville since he became their QB , but Cantwell looked Terrible. Like Undrafted Free Agent Terrible. I have no idea what hes like as a leader but I did not see much talent and The decision making was not there.

Maybe his measurables are immense (i truly dont know) , and maybe hes an amazing teamate/leader (again , dont know) but unless he has become an entirely different QB in the time since I saw him, i am very suprised to hear his name mentioned as a potential top QB.

DJ-B wrote:
Quote:
Im not saying stafford isnt a 1st rd pick.. and he certainly could end up being the best in the bunch... but id rather spend a lower pick on Harrell or wait until next year and give stanton a shot this year either way.

Something like that. I'd take a Franchise LT with our top pick in 2009. As for QB's, maybe an affordable QB in the 2nd Round or later this year and let him compete with Stanton for the starting job. Regardless of whether we take a QB this year, I'd look strongly at taking a 1st Round QB in 2010 from what could be a pretty strong crop. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Last edited by Lions Fan in GR on November 4th, 2008, 11:59 pm, edited 14 times in total.

November 4th, 2008, 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next