View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 IF a LT: Oher or Smith? 

Oher or Smith?
Oher 83%  83%  [ 15 ]
Smith 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18

IF a LT: Oher or Smith? 
Team MVP

Post IF a LT: Oher or Smith?
I know theres the ongoing debate of whether or not to take a QB or LT or whatever else. But if it came down to a LT, would you rather take Michael Oher or Andre Smith. Most projections have Oher as #1, which isnt surprising because hes really good. But I watched some videos on Smith on YouTube and he looks VERY good. So...who would you take?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 20th, 2008, 3:06 pm
I like Andre Smith, but he's a Junior I think... I wouldn't mind taking two of Bama's OLman if they come out this year (Caldwell, thier C, I think is a senior... their entire OL just has the right mind-set. They're a great bunch of guys), but the entire discussion might be precluded based upon Smith's decision to stay at Bama.

Would I draft Smith over Oher? I'm not sure... I like the fact that Oher is a senior and had that time to develop, both physically and mentally.

Another OLman that has to get consideration is Eugene Monroe. Monroe is more polished than Oher, IMO, but isn't as athletic. I think Monroe is better with his hands and feet, but not as strong. That said, both are very good prospects.

November 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Monroe hjas played pretty poorly this year. He also seesm weak in the run game

Oher is very well rounded

Smith could end up having some bad measuremnt at the combine (height and arm lenght) HE also lunges at defenders in the run game.

November 20th, 2008, 6:26 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see what everyone likes about Oher. Granted, I've only seen him play 3 games, but I was rather UNimpressed with his play in any game.

When you take a LT #1 overall - you expect Pace, Ogden, Roaf. Is Oher one of those type of players? There's nobody in this draft worthy of the #1 pick. You take less than trade value to trade out of this spot and pick up additional picks.

We need as many starters as we can get, as we're starting a dozen backups.

November 22nd, 2008, 7:31 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I don't see what everyone likes about Oher. Granted, I've only seen him play 3 games, but I was rather UNimpressed with his play in any game.

When you take a LT #1 overall - you expect Pace, Ogden, Roaf. Is Oher one of those type of players? There's nobody in this draft worthy of the #1 pick. You take less than trade value to trade out of this spot and pick up additional picks.

There may not be a LT thats a "Roaf,Pace or Ogden" or a QB thats "Elway,Manning" or a DE thats a "Smith or Peppers" But there will be a player thats projected at the top of the draft that fills a need best for the Lions. What less that trade value move are you eyeing? Moving down from #1 to #10 for a second round pick? We have the number 1 overall pick for a reason. Utilize that. Unless we get a trade like the Chargers got for Eli.

November 22nd, 2008, 9:39 pm
QB Coach

Oher actually compares pretty favorable to Ogden, and several people have made the comparison, including the guy who scouted both Pace and Oher out of high school.

November 22nd, 2008, 9:58 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I'm not sure how you couldn't be impressed with this guy... He's physically on par with all of those guys you've mentioned... He's looked pretty darn good in every game I've seen of him... What is it that you don't think he does well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblief4D ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu35UMH9 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLucCeD ... re=related

November 23rd, 2008, 4:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Oher did quiet well on Sat. against LSU. I'm sold on him.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 24th, 2008, 8:29 am
Team MVP

A lot of scouts are putting Smith as the #1 tackle, and some have him as the #1 prospect...

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

November 24th, 2008, 4:35 pm
A lot of scouts are putting Smith as the #1 tackle, and some have him as the #1 prospect...

I think he's a junior though, and might not come out. If he's guaranteed the #1 or even a top 5 spot he might, but those Bama OLman are all tight and might stick around for next season. That said, IMO you can't go wrong with Smith, Oher, or Monroe... I'd wait until pick 5-8 or trade down somehow and take whomever is left.

Stallion... I'm waiting until I see some combine #'s on Monore before I declare him "weak in the run game." Virginia has a crappy team this year and good OLman can get lost in the shuffle. I haven't seen much film of him messing up directly, but admittedly, I don't get to watch Virgina play much. I've only watched him in one or two games this year, but I do pay attention to him specifically and he played well when I was watching him. I'm sure you can find some bad clips on Youtube or something like that, but you can do that for virtually any player. Do you have anything specific on the guy? I know that GT only got one sack against Virginia, and allegedly GT has one of the best passrushers coming out this year! :idea: :arrow:

November 24th, 2008, 4:55 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

kdsberman wrote:

I think he's a junior though, and might not come out. If he's guaranteed the #1 or even a top 5 spot he might, but those Bama OLman are all tight and might stick around for next season. That said, IMO you can't go wrong with Smith, Oher, or Monroe... I'd wait until pick 5-8 or trade down somehow and take whomever is left.

Stallion... I'm waiting until I see some combine #'s on Monore before I declare him "weak in the run game." Virginia has a crappy team this year and good OLman can get lost in the shuffle. I haven't seen much film of him messing up directly, but admittedly, I don't get to watch Virgina play much. I've only watched him in one or two games this year, but I do pay attention to him specifically and he played well when I was watching him. I'm sure you can find some bad clips on Youtube or something like that, but you can do that for virtually any player. Do you have anything specific on the guy? I know that GT only got one sack against Virginia, and allegedly GT has one of the best passrushers coming out this year! :idea: :arrow:

What does the combine have to do with being weak in the run game? I personally feel he is as good or better in pass pro then the other top LT this year but he doesn't seem to move guys in the run game that well when I watched him.

November 25th, 2008, 12:29 am
#1 Overall Pick

conversion02 wrote:

There may not be a LT thats a "Roaf,Pace or Ogden" or a QB thats "Elway,Manning" or a DE thats a "Smith or Peppers" But there will be a player thats projected at the top of the draft that fills a need best for the Lions. What less that trade value move are you eyeing? Moving down from #1 to #10 for a second round pick? We have the number 1 overall pick for a reason. Utilize that. Unless we get a trade like the Chargers got for Eli.

The #1 overall pick has meant VERY LITTLE in terms of the rebound of bad franchises turning things around. Since the start of free agency in 1993, there have been FEW #1 overall picks that have been difference makers in the turn around of franchises.

On the other hand, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, and Eli were among the #1 picks that played for eventual winners, but they also played for FRANCHISES that were led by Bill Parcells and the Giants, who have been doing things the right way from top to bottom (especiallly in the draft) for a long time now.

Having the #1 overall pick, the #3 overall pick, or even ANY top 10 overall pick has PROVEN to mean absolutely NOTHING in the process of rebuilding a franchise in the free agency period.

Quote:
You take less than trade value to trade out of this spot and pick up additional picks.

I've been SCREAMING for the Lions to trade DOWN for years now, and have caught grief on this board because "there isn't any value in trading down with the ELITE prospects at the top of the draft."

I find it funny that Pioli is now getting hgue CREDIT on this board for trading away several picks from the Pats, because those moves have turned out well........and that is what I have been OPENLY campaigning for the Lions to do for years.

MOST good teams aren't built with top 10 picks. This is the biggest draft HOAX of all time. Good teams are built with good drafting from top to bottom.

TRADE DOWN.

Get more day 1 picks (with a competant GM selecting them).

Win more games.

It isn't that difficult.

November 28th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

dh86 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

The #1 overall pick has meant VERY LITTLE in terms of the rebound of bad franchises turning things around. Since the start of free agency in 1993, there have been FEW #1 overall picks that have been difference makers in the turn around of franchises.

On the other hand, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, and Eli were among the #1 picks that played for eventual winners, but they also played for FRANCHISES that were led by Bill Parcells and the Giants, who have been doing things the right way from top to bottom (especiallly in the draft) for a long time now.

Having the #1 overall pick, the #3 overall pick, or even ANY top 10 overall pick has PROVEN to mean absolutely NOTHING in the process of rebuilding a franchise in the free agency period.

Quote:
You take less than trade value to trade out of this spot and pick up additional picks.

I've been SCREAMING for the Lions to trade DOWN for years now, and have caught grief on this board because "there isn't any value in trading down with the ELITE prospects at the top of the draft."

I find it funny that Pioli is now getting hgue CREDIT on this board for trading away several picks from the Pats, because those moves have turned out well........and that is what I have been OPENLY campaigning for the Lions to do for years.

MOST good teams aren't built with top 10 picks. This is the biggest draft HOAX of all time. Good teams are built with good drafting from top to bottom.

TRADE DOWN.

Get more day 1 picks (with a competant GM selecting them).

Win more games.

It isn't that difficult.

1993-Bledsoe became the consistent starter Bill Parcells desired, lead the team to the playoffs in year 2, lead them to Super Bowl few years later.
1996-Keyshawn became a go to reciever for the Jets and greatly helped the team go from the worst team in football to a 9-7 record and the AFC title game in his 2nd season.Brought back 2 first rounders to the Jets in 2000.
1997-Orlando Pace
1998-Peyton Manning
2001-Michael Vick became a pro bowl caliber player and lead the Falcons to the NFC title game.
2003-Carson Palmer became the QB Cincinnati was looking for and lead the Bengals to their only playoff appearance in 20 years.
2004-Eli Manning
2008-Jake Long became the impetus for Miami's improved line play and its a major factor for their much improved team.

That is 8 out of 16 that have made a major impact on turning the fortunes of their franchises. Care to compare the results of say, the 13th pick in the draft since '93? Does making other moves and other draft picks help? Of course they do. But as we saw with Millen last year taking 3 flops with all 2nd round picks (Stanton,Francis,Alexander), you have to take the best player when you can get them.

November 28th, 2008, 11:49 pm
Team MVP

Why trade down and get a much-less-valued left tackle (or even QB for some people). We need quality players, not quantity. I do agree we need a LOT of players, but this thing isnt gonna get turned around in one year, so why not get as much value as you can out of each pick. The Lions need a lot more QUALITY on their team, because other than CJ, Sims, and a couple others, we have NO quality (especially on our O-line)

November 29th, 2008, 12:01 am
Pop Warner Vet

It takes two willing teams to trade, and as expensive as the #1 overall pick is, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it for a team to trade up for it.

If you compare cost to likely benefit, it would be worth trading from #1 to #6 STRAIGHT UP, because it would save millions in salary cap dollars.

The best thing the Lions could probably do is just sit there and let the clock expire.

December 2nd, 2008, 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next