View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Will you people never be satisfied? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Will you people never be satisfied?
Let's just keep spending our 1st round picks on Offense. Heck, it's worked out just so gosh darn well!!!!

Every year our Defense sucks sewage water. And every year most on this and other boards want us to use our 1st round pick on an offensive player.
OUR DEFENSE CAN'T STOP A POP WARNER TEAM

It is high time we fix the most pathetic unit on the team.

November 25th, 2008, 12:34 am
Post Re: Will you people never be satisfied?
BillySims wrote:
Let's just keep spending our 1st round picks on Offense. Heck, it's worked out just so gosh darn well!!!!

Every year our Defense sucks sewage water. And every year most on this and other boards want us to use our 1st round pick on an offensive player.

Billy... Our defense is descimated... We could spend our first five picks on D and STILL have holes... Or, we could TOTALLY FIX one side of the ball and be a competitive football team, take pressure off of the defense, and keep the defense off of the field. Having a good offense will HELP the defense.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to fix the D this year... IMPOSSIBLE. However, it is POSSIBLE to fix the offense this year, and that is what we should do.

November 25th, 2008, 12:43 am
QB Coach

I want to use the #1 pick on a LT because the best player in this draft is going to be a LT. No defensive player is worth it. However, after that its going to depend on who is available. I would be happy if Aaron Curry fell to our second pick. A top CB would also be a good pick there. Some mocks even have Brandon Spikes available in the second, that would be a great pick to start the second round.

November 25th, 2008, 1:07 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The one thing that kept the Lions halfway respectable on defense in the Marriucci years and above water in the Marinelli years before 2008 was the defensive line. We had a respectable one with a player that teams absolutely had to account for. The Lions had an actual strength in the trenches. Millen accumulated terrible personnel behind the D line but at least we had that. He replaced Shaun Rogers with Chuck Darby who, seriously, should not be in the NFL. The only way to fix the Lions is to right the wrongs that were made in building the trenches of the team. Theres too many guys on their last legs as NFL pros and not enough on the upward trajectory of being a regular starter. That means building offensive and defensive lines. Bypass the flash in the pan next Scott Mitchells in free agency. By pass the next Joey Harringtons in the draft. Bypass the "playmakers and weapons". Enough.

November 25th, 2008, 1:20 am
Team MVP

Because like wjb21ndtown said, we CANNOT fix this defense this year. Way too many holes. Might as well make a HUGE upgrade to our offense rather than a minor one to our defense.

Besides, having the #1 overall pick, there isnt one defensive player close to being worth that spot.

LEFT TACKLE - Complain all you want, but that is what this team needs and you wont change my mind on that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 25th, 2008, 12:36 pm
QB Coach

I agree that our defense needs significantly more work than the offense, but the problem is you have to look at who is available with the #1 pick. If the new GM (whoever it is) thinks that Oher or Smith is a stud, bookend LT, that's one of the most important positions on the team and a really hard player to find, and they have to make that pick. However, if they think that a defensive player is the best player available in the draft, then by all means get him. But if he's not, it's crazy to pick someone #1 overall who doesn't deserve it. Too much money gets tied up in the pick to just pick for need. It should be a combination of need and best player available. Not just one or the other.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 25th, 2008, 1:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

You got to remember in the salary cap era with amount of money you have to pay a #1 overall pick means you need to spend that pick on a money position - QB, RB, WR, LT, DL.

Unless a DE or DT climb up the boards between now and the draft the Lions will have spend the pick on either a QB (Stafford or Bradford) or LT (Oher or Smith) look to be the early favorites.

Good luck trading down.

November 27th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Billy... Our defense is descimated... We could spend our first five picks on D and STILL have holes... Or, we could TOTALLY FIX one side of the ball and be a competitive football team, take pressure off of the defense, and keep the defense off of the field. Having a good offense will HELP the defense.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to fix the D this year... IMPOSSIBLE. However, it is POSSIBLE to fix the offense this year, and that is what we should do.

Come up with a new argument. I have heard that same argument 3 years ago, 2 years ago, 1 year ago. It is time to fix the defense.

November 28th, 2008, 10:33 am
3rd Round Selection

BillySims wrote:
It is time to fix the defense.

I agree Billy.

You could assemble the greatest offense the NFL has ever seen, and the Lions would still lose with that defense.

The fact it will take time to sort the defence out is exactly the reason why we need to start to address it as soon as possible.

November 28th, 2008, 11:13 am
QB Coach

We have 8 picks in the upcoming draft. Two in the first round, 1 second, 2 thirds, 1 5th and two sixth. With all those picks and with free agents we should be able to get a good mix of BOTH offense and defense. I don't see why using the first overall pick on a LT means we are going to neglect the defense. There is no defensive player worth the first pick, while there are a few LTs that could go first overall. I personally want Oher. However our second first round pick is going to be in the late teens-early twenties. There we have options. We have to take best player available who fits a need. There should be some good linebackers, d-line and corners available at that slot. And there should be good players available with our second round pick... and so on. So just because we aren't going to reach with the first overall pick on a defensive player, doesn't mean we aren't going to improve the defense.

November 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm
#1 Overall Pick

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Come up with a new argument. I have heard that same argument 3 years ago, 2 years ago, 1 year ago. It is time to fix the defense.

This isn't a NEW argument for me.

You have to fix BOTH.

You HAVE to get a new OLT to replace Backus.

You have to get almost an entirely new defensive line (depending on 4-3 versus 3-4, and I hope we get a 3-4 coach and make Redding a 5-technique in a 3-4).

You HAVE to get a new QB.

You have to get new LBs........regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.

You have to get new CBs......regardless of scheme.

This team is a complete mess.

There aren't many players on this team that could start for anybody in the NFL.

All that tells us is that we can't expect a winning team anytime soon, and we CERTAINLY can't let NEED dictate our early draft choices.

I firmly believe that Belicheck and Parcells are the best in the NFL at building an NFL team, and they have laid out a consistent BLUEPRINT to team building.

#1.....Draft BIG athletes......ATHLETES........ on the D-line and O-line.

It doesn't always have to be 1st round picks, but it usually is 1st round picks early in the process. Parcells added Ware and Spears in Dallas with some of his first picks. Belicheck drafted Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork in the 1st round. Beyond the 1st round, you can look over both of their histories and see that they addressed the D-line, O-line, and rush OLBs in their 3-4 scheme EARLY and OFTEN.

#2.....Fix special teams.

This is often Parcells' top priority, and something the Lions have seemingly ignored over the last few years.

#3.....Bring in smart players.

Sounds easy enough.

Yet, the Lions seem to penalized as much as anybody year after year. Parcells doesn't tolerate players that commit too many penalties. PERIOD. That is a primary focus for one of the best in the business in terms of team-building, and it makes sense when you watch bad teams (like the Lions) get beat week after week because they give games away.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

I don't care if they draft a OLT, DE, DT, or a QB if that player is the BEST AVAILABLE player. This team needs everything BUT a WR at this point, and there are only a few positions worthy of the #1 overall pick. However, the Lions have to get MANY players along both the O-line and D-line before they can compete with good NFL teams.

November 28th, 2008, 11:02 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Many of us have been clamoring for years to replace Backus at LT. This would be a good year to do it given that there is some good LT talent at the top of the upcoming draft.

However, I agree that the defense is in miserable condition. If and only if a DL proves worthy of the #1 pick, I'd be OK with that pick going defensive (Orakpo comes to mind if he checks out medically). While we need help at DB and LB too, I wouldn't want to use the #1 overall pick for these positions.

Seems like the Cowboys' first rounder could be used to upgrade virtually any position--would love to see a MLB but I wouldn't complain with any pick here except WR.

November 29th, 2008, 2:08 am
3rd Round Selection

Are we expecting there to be no opportunity for a trade down?

I think that, even if it nets the Lions nowhere near to the trade value chart in return, would be the smart move for the Lions. Get an extra pick (this year or next year) and reduce the amount of salary committed to the guy they pick up. I think it also helps gets rid of worries about 'reaching' and allows the Lions to draft for need.

November 29th, 2008, 4:23 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I don't need to come up with a new argument, my old argument hasn't been proven wrong. We need to fix the OL to fix the offense, and we haven't done much of anything other than drafting ONE PLAYER last year in the first round on the OL. This might seem like a step in the right direction if we didn't have a net LOSS in talent on the OL. I said last year that we should have brought Woody back, and now he's on a very good team playing very well in NY. Suprize suprize!!... :idea:

Woody > Cherilus
2007 OL > 2008 OL

We NEED to fix the OL to have a respectable offense. Sure, we need to fix the D to have a respectable team, but we need to fix the OL to have a respectable team as well. We CANNOT fix the D this year, NO MATTER WHAT WE DO. Our #1 priority this offseason should be to fix our OL.

November 29th, 2008, 7:16 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think our number one goal next year should be to fix both lines through both F.A. and the draft.

November 29th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next