View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Defense - Positions that need the biggest upgrades... 
Peanut and Beer Salesman

He would be a great, hard hitting safety. I just think it would take him a while to getting used to dropping back in coverage and that sort of thing. He seems to be pretty fast, he wouldn't be too bad. He can't be as slow as Dwight Smith.

I don't know if the opposing teams would get more rushing yards because he is not in the thick of things, or less because he can come at people freely with less blockers.

December 10th, 2008, 12:36 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I don't know if the opposing teams would get more rushing yards because he is not in the thick of things, or less because he can come at people freely with less blockers.

I would guess the latter, since his biggest weakness as a linebacker is that he's too small to shed or fight through a good block from a bigger OG or FB, and one of his biggest strengths is his speed--and just how hard he can hit when he can get going and fly freely at the ballcarrier. He could probably provide the kind of run-stopping support that Indy gets from Bob Sanders.

My biggest concern would be the increased demands in pass coverage.

Last edited by v1ly4 on December 10th, 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 10th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Def. would be interesting to see if he could handle the position change. As others have said.. have to see how good he would do in coverage.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 10th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

As a safety I think he would play like Roy Williams (the Dallas safety). His speed would help him with blitzing in the 3-4 and he'd be great in run support.

But yeah, a true liability in pass coverage. He has one interception in his entire career. Now, as a safety he'd get more of an opportunity to play in coverage than he currently does, but extrapolating that single interception in three years leads me to believe that he'd be downright terrible.

I think he's at his best position now--WSLB. If we switched to the 3-4, I'd advocate trading Ernie for his value (which is probably a 2nd rounder to a tampa 2 team) and moving on.

December 10th, 2008, 3:39 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
MLB first then DT then SSLB then CB then S.

I like it.

Me too! I want Rey Maualuga if we go defense first.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 10th, 2008, 8:39 pm
Blueskies wrote:
It's also questionable as to whether Sims could play ILB in the 3-4. Some have speculated that he could, but I have my doubts. In the 3-4 the ILBs often have to take on offensive guards, and sims at 225 will get manhandled by a 290lb OG.
Also, if you look at it, most teams with good 3-4 defenses have one really talented safety--the Lions don't have that.

Here's a question...think Ernie Simms could be our Safety?

On the size/speed gradient, he's probably closer to a typical SS than a MLB.

and when he's not getting blocked & overpowered, he hits hard.

...or would he get exploited in coverage too much?

Exploited in coverage... He can't cover a TE let alone a speedy WR...

Also, he's fast for a LB, but I don't think he's all that fast for a SS... IMO Alex Lewis would have probably have made the best LB/SS convert, but I don't know how fast he is or how well he covers either.

December 10th, 2008, 10:27 pm
Heisman Winner

This is an interesting topic, but I think until the issue of who will coach the Lions is settled, it is difficult to speculate on whta the team needs. They need most everything for sure, but a new coach running the 3-4 or a more tradtional 4-3 might want different things that the Tampa 2. If Rod were to stay, it might be easier to speculate, but then I wouldn't be watching much anyway.

I think this will be more clear after the new year. Ford never fires anyone until after Christmas anyway. We'll know soon enough.

December 24th, 2008, 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2