View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Matt Stafford 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Matt Stafford
Get used to hearing the name because there is going to be a ton speculation that the Lions will use the #1 pick in the draft on him.

December 13th, 2008, 11:16 am
Heisman Winner

I hope not, I will abandon the NFL and never watch another game in my life then. :lol:

December 13th, 2008, 4:54 pm
Team MVP

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 13th, 2008, 9:57 pm
Heisman Winner

If we take him ill be so pissed.

Same, I think they should wait till 2010 to get a QB. They need to build a team around the QB before they throw one like Stafford in who will just fail.

December 13th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:
If we take him ill be so pissed.

Same, I think they should wait till 2010 to get a QB. They need to build a team around the QB before they throw one like Stafford in who will just fail.

Thank You, Thank you, Thank you! It feels good to hear someone with common sense. Bradford, Stafford, Tebow, McCoy..WHOEVER, will not make any difference if you dont have an offensive line. Im not buying drafting a quarterback and having them sit. MAYBE if it was our second rounder and its a promising quarterback. But now when we have the first pick and have a chance to take a dominant left tackle, something we desperately NEED.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 13th, 2008, 10:17 pm
Heisman Winner

If we take any this year I hope it's Bradford, but I will be really mad if anything besides LT or defense is taken. I think defense should be higher priority than anything on offense but if you can't trade down then yeah LT is the easy choice.

December 13th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Pro Bowl Player

WHOEVER, will not make any difference if you dont have an offensive line. Im not buying drafting a quarterback and having them sit.

It doesn't matter if you "buy it". I've conclusively proven that drafting a QB and then building a team around him is a strategy that works time and time again. (Manning, Palmer, Rivers...) Don't post this nonsense. You can say you think Stafford is bad prospect or that Oher is a once in a decade player or whatever, but saying "you NEED to build the team first then get the QB" is just plain ignorant.

Quote:
But now when we have the first pick and have a chance to take a dominant left tackle, something we desperately NEED.

Who was John Elway's LT? Who was Dan Marino's? Who was the LT in Buffalo when they went to four straight SBs? Who was Dallas' LT in the 90s? Yeah, you can't name any of them without looking them up. Do you get my point?

I'm not discrediting the LT--but QB is hands down the most important position in the game. Maybe its just because the Lions haven't had a great QB in 50 years. I don't know. Jeff Backus needs to be replaced, but old man Culpepper and glass body Stanton aren't exactly world beaters.

December 14th, 2008, 5:22 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Quote:
WHOEVER, will not make any difference if you dont have an offensive line. Im not buying drafting a quarterback and having them sit.

It doesn't matter if you "buy it". I've conclusively proven that drafting a QB and then building a team around him is a strategy that works time and time again. (Manning, Palmer, Rivers...) Don't post this nonsense. You can say you think Stafford is bad prospect or that Oher is a once in a decade player or whatever, but saying "you NEED to build the team first then get the QB" is just plain ignorant.

Quote:
But now when we have the first pick and have a chance to take a dominant left tackle, something we desperately NEED.

Who was John Elway's LT? Who was Dan Marino's? Who was the LT in Buffalo when they went to four straight SBs? Who was Dallas' LT in the 90s? Yeah, you can't name any of them without looking them up. Do you get my point?

I'm not discrediting the LT--but QB is hands down the most important position in the game. Maybe its just because the Lions haven't had a great QB in 50 years. I don't know. Jeff Backus needs to be replaced, but old man Culpepper and glass body Stanton aren't exactly world beaters.

Great post, I could not remember who any of those LT's were. I agree with your line of thinking, but only if the QB in question is without a doubt worthy of that high a pick. Bradford maybe, but Stafford, no way. Many fine QB's have been taken later. Like Drew Brees-2nd, Favre-2nd, Brady-6th, Romo-undrafted, and my favorite Montana-3rd. When I watched Bradford play, that's who he reminds me of.

December 14th, 2008, 12:03 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I've conclusively proven that drafting a QB and then building a team around him is a strategy that works time and time again. (Manning, Palmer, Rivers...) Don't post this nonsense.

I've conclusively proven that drafting a QB before building a team around them is a strategy that fails time and time again (Carr, Harrington, Alex Smith) Don't post this nonsense.

December 14th, 2008, 12:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

If a QB is not a sure fire can't miss stud like Elway, Manning, Marino, ect. you DO NOT DRAFT THEM IN THE 1ST ROUND.

Sorry for yelling. But, if they don't measure up to those standards, your asking for a bust.

You can put all the pollish on a turd that you want. But, it's still a turd.

December 14th, 2008, 12:58 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Ok, I looked them up:

John Elway's (when he won the SB's): ProBowler Tony Jones
Buffalo's LT from 1986-1992: Three-Time ProBowler Will Wolford
Dallas' LT from 1991-2001: Four-Time ProBowler Erik Williams
Dan Marino: no PB'ers I found, but he was only sacked 270 times in 8358 attempts (3.23%), so he had good protection too.

Those examples illustrate that we should fix the protection at the LT position first in order to be successful.

Also don't forget Peyton Manning's situation...the year before Indy drafted him, they spent their rd#1 pick on future 3x ProBowler Tarik Glenn to protect their QB's blind side.
Same with Carson Palmer...the year before Cincy drafted him they spent their rd#1 pick on LT Levi Jones (who is known to be a much better pass-protector than run-blocker).

Lions QB's this year have been sacked 49 times in 407 attempts according to ESPN stats (I know, a sack prevents an attempt, so to approximate, add those 49 "would have been attempted" to the 407 to get 456 dropbacks...that means getting sacked on 10.74% of attempts.

If we draft a QB this year, we'll be saying:
"Here, kid. Go save our franchise. By the way, you'll be getting hit like a rag doll. Oh, and you'll be playing from behind too because your Defense sucks, so we'll depend on you even more!"

Will that kid be successful? I would expect he'll get lit up like David Carr.

Fix the O-Line. Fix the Defense. Put our future franchise QB on a good team from day #1.

December 14th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Quote:

Ok, I looked them up:

John Elway's (when he won the SB's): ProBowler Tony Jones
Buffalo's LT from 1986-1992: Three-Time ProBowler Will Wolford
Dallas' LT from 1991-2001: Four-Time ProBowler Erik Williams
Dan Marino: no PB'ers I found, but he was only sacked 270 times in 8358 attempts (3.23%), so he had good protection too.

Those examples illustrate that we should fix the protection at the LT position first in order to be successful.

Also don't forget Peyton Manning's situation...the year before Indy drafted him, they spent their rd#1 pick on future 3x ProBowler Tarik Glenn to protect their QB's blind side.
Same with Carson Palmer...the year before Cincy drafted him they spent their rd#1 pick on LT Levi Jones (who is known to be a much better pass-protector than run-blocker).

Lions QB's this year have been sacked 49 times in 407 attempts according to ESPN stats (I know, a sack prevents an attempt, so to approximate, add those 49 "would have been attempted" to the 407 to get 456 dropbacks...that means getting sacked on 10.74% of attempts.

If we draft a QB this year, we'll be saying:
"Here, kid. Go save our franchise. By the way, you'll be getting hit like a rag doll. Oh, and you'll be playing from behind too because your Defense sucks, so we'll depend on you even more!"

Will that kid be successful? I would expect he'll get lit up like David Carr.

Fix the O-Line. Fix the Defense. Put our future franchise QB on a good team from day #1.

Dan Marino had borderline Hall of Famer Richmond Webb.

December 14th, 2008, 3:01 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Dan Marino had borderline Hall of Famer Richmond Webb.

Haha, thanks, I guess I was looking for who was protecting him in the mid-80's when he set those records and got to SB XIX. He did have Webb from 1990-on.

December 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Quote:

Quote:

The number of false statements in this post is amusing. If it worked time and again, then "franchise QBs" like David Carr,Jamarcus Russell,Alex Smith, and Matt Leinart would have done great instead of outright flopping. Eli was drafted to a team with good pieces that were a recent Super Bowl team that had an disappointing season before drafting him. Phillip Rivers succeded because he stepped onto a team that were coming off of two good seasons with Brees. He was set up for success. Same thing with Carson Palmer. Bengals had a decent season with Kitna and a decent team for him to succeed with. He did in 2005, after that the team deteriorated at the line and rushing game. Palmer's production just happened to suffered because of it. Coincidence im sure.

December 14th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I've conclusively proven that drafting a QB before building a team around them is a strategy that fails time and time again (Carr, Harrington, Alex Smith) Don't post this nonsense.

You misinterpreted my post. The way I saw it, kdsberman was saying that you HAD to draft a QB AFTER you built the team. That it was IMPOSSIBLE to take the QB and THEN build the team. This isn't the case. That was what I was saying I had proven. That BOTH strategies can work as long as you draft the right players and have a QUALITY GM.

If its between drafting Oher or Stafford you don't ask, LT or QB? That is foolish. Rather, you ask Oher or Stafford? The decision on whether to draft one or the other shouldn't be based on their position but on the player himself. Both positions are needed by the Lions, and they are both important.

All of the pro bowl QBs I mentioned, as you have proven, had pro bowl LTs. And the two do largely coincide. Here's a further question: how many of those pro bowl LTs were drafted in the first round? The Lions could draft a pro bowl LT in the second round like New England has. Like Indy has. Like San Diego has. The Lions don't have to blow their top pick in order to find an elite LT.

So, what I'm saying is, the whole "we should take Oher/Smith because he's a LT and not a QB" is a retarded argument. The decision on who the Lions ought to take with the first pick should be based on the individual player, not the position.

December 14th, 2008, 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next