View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Aaron Curry= BEAST 
National Champion

I would say this....ask the Ravens if MLB is a non-premium position. Ask the Bears......ask any team that has a dominant player at MLB and see if they consider that position to be non-premium.

In my eyes, there is no such thing as a non-premium position on the field, just non-premium players. Terrell Suggs may have been the one to get the franchise tag, but most agreed that if the Ravens lost Ray Lewis their defense would suffer immeasurably. Despite the fact that they would still have Ed Reed, who is sort of a co-captain for that unit, that defense wouldn't be the same.

The Detroit fans complain that this team lacks talent. Aaron Curry IS talent. He would represent a HUGE infusion of athletic football talent on the side of the ball where it is needed most. I could give a DAMN if he can move to MIKE.....our team needs playmakers and Curry represents EXACTLY that.

S&C, you make an EXCELLENT point about the money. With the number one pick, Detroit is going to spend that cash regardless. And, in fact, if a QB is taken first, they probably end up spending a little more because of the premium that position demands.

The Lions would be better served to approach Curry, Jason Smith and Stafford with contract proposals....all identical....and see who is willing to sign on the spot. First one to the finish line wins......I would be willing to bet Curry would be the one.

I think you made my point for me there: when asked to choose between their pass rusher and their future HOF linebacker they enthusiastically chose their pass rusher and let their future HOF linebacker test the market. And Ray Lewis eventually had to come back to Baltimore with his tail between his legs when he realized that he wasn't worth the coin that he thought he was worth. As far as Urhlacher: he gets all of the tackles, but I would take a healthy Tommie Harris over Urhlacher any day.

And I would disagree and contend that there are indeed "non-premium" positions, which of course isn't to say that they are "not important." An elite left tackle is more valuable than an elite guard, which isn't to say that guys like Steve Hutchinson are worthless--just that they aren't as valuable as somebody like a Walter Jones in his prime. To pretend that all positions on the football field are equal in value to each other is ignoring the fact that NFL GM's, who (excluding one mustachioed-former-GM aren't stupid), value players at certain positions more than others.

The Lions arguably are bad not just because they lack talent generally, which certainly has a lot to do with it, but also because they have ignored the premium positions. Of all of those top 10 picks over the years: how many were used on QB's, pass rusthers, or left tackles? Only one. They passed up Jay Cutler, they passed up DeMarcus Ware, they passed up Joe Thomas. We have taken some decent players with those high picks: Erine Sims, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson. Whoopdey dee. So we have a good receiver and a linebacker on a team with no QB and no talent in the trenches. The Houston Texans knew that when they took Mario Williams over a very overrated Reggie Busy.

When we consider whether to draft Curry, the position he plays has to be part of the calculus. That's not to say that it should be a determinative factor. If Stafford is an underwhelming prospect, and Eugene Monroe and Jason Taylor are more D'Brickashaw Ferguson than Orlando Pace, then yeah, go ahead and take the guy who you know will lock down an important, if not premium position, whose career will fall somewhere from solid to great.

March 12th, 2009, 10:42 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

m2karateman wrote:
I would say this....ask the Ravens if MLB is a non-premium position. Ask the Bears......ask any team that has a dominant player at MLB and see if they consider that position to be non-premium.

In my eyes, there is no such thing as a non-premium position on the field, just non-premium players. Terrell Suggs may have been the one to get the franchise tag, but most agreed that if the Ravens lost Ray Lewis their defense would suffer immeasurably. Despite the fact that they would still have Ed Reed, who is sort of a co-captain for that unit, that defense wouldn't be the same.

The Detroit fans complain that this team lacks talent. Aaron Curry IS talent. He would represent a HUGE infusion of athletic football talent on the side of the ball where it is needed most. I could give a DAMN if he can move to MIKE.....our team needs playmakers and Curry represents EXACTLY that.

S&C, you make an EXCELLENT point about the money. With the number one pick, Detroit is going to spend that cash regardless. And, in fact, if a QB is taken first, they probably end up spending a little more because of the premium that position demands.

The Lions would be better served to approach Curry, Jason Smith and Stafford with contract proposals....all identical....and see who is willing to sign on the spot. First one to the finish line wins......I would be willing to bet Curry would be the one.

I think you made my point for me there: when asked to choose between their pass rusher and their future HOF linebacker they enthusiastically chose their pass rusher and let their future HOF linebacker test the market. And Ray Lewis eventually had to come back to Baltimore with his tail between his legs when he realized that he wasn't worth the coin that he thought he was worth. As far as Urhlacher: he gets all of the tackles, but I would take a healthy Tommie Harris over Urhlacher any day.

And I would disagree and contend that there are indeed "non-premium" positions, which of course isn't to say that they are "not important." An elite left tackle is more valuable than an elite guard, which isn't to say that guys like Steve Hutchinson are worthless--just that they aren't as valuable as somebody like a Walter Jones in his prime. To pretend that all positions on the football field are equal in value to each other is ignoring the fact that NFL GM's, who (excluding one mustachioed-former-GM aren't stupid), value players at certain positions more than others.

The Lions arguably are bad not just because they lack talent generally, which certainly has a lot to do with it, but also because they have ignored the premium positions. Of all of those top 10 picks over the years: how many were used on QB's, pass rusthers, or left tackles? Only one. They passed up Jay Cutler, they passed up DeMarcus Ware, they passed up Joe Thomas. We have taken some decent players with those high picks: Erine Sims, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson. Whoopdey dee. So we have a good receiver and a linebacker on a team with no QB and no talent in the trenches. The Houston Texans knew that when they took Mario Williams over a very overrated Reggie Busy.

When we consider whether to draft Curry, the position he plays has to be part of the calculus. That's not to say that it should be a determinative factor. If Stafford is an underwhelming prospect, and Eugene Monroe and Jason Taylor are more D'Brickashaw Ferguson than Orlando Pace, then yeah, go ahead and take the guy who you know will lock down an important, if not premium position, whose career will fall somewhere from solid to great.

Well said.

After doing further reading, I wouldn't be upset if the Lions took Curry. I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic, but not not upset either.

At this point I would rank the possible picks as thus:

Stafford - Plays most important position, but rather underwhelming as a prospect. Decent chance of bust.

Monroe - Plays one of the most important positions. Decent prospect. Probably will never become a top 5 tackle, like a #1 pick should, but very low chance of becoming a bust.

(J.) Smith - I do not like him at all. Limited tackle experience. Small school. Spread offense. Seems to have risen up the boards because he is a workout warrior, which may not translate onto the field. Reminds me of Vernon Davis in many respects. High probability of becoming a bust.

Curry - Best player available. Very low chance of busting. However, limited impact on the field due to position.

Overall I would rank them as thus:
Stafford = Curry
Monroe
J Smith

EDIT:

Quote:
It's well documented that I'm not a big fan of Ernie Sim's career thus far but if you ask him in October why he's having a rebound year, it will be because of Curry and hopefully one of LBs available at #20.

Unless the Lions are moving to a 3-4, I couldn't think of a dumber move than spending both first round picks on linebackers.

March 12th, 2009, 11:59 pm
National Champion

http://blog.mlive.com/hugeblog/2009/03/ ... _on_t.html

Quote:
Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry joined Bill Simonson on "The Huge Show" to talk about his family life, his preparation for the NFL draft and his upcoming visit with the Detroit Lions, who hold the No. 1 pick.

"I'm a high-character person, and a high-character player," Curry said. "On the football field, I'm just relentless. I just play angry. And you get a leader with a dedication to the game."

You aren't getting much without actually listening to the interview.

I'm to the point where I don't think I'll be upset at drafting Stafford, Curry, or one of the top 2 tackles. There is no clear cut number one with the general public. If we draft Stafford, we need to sit him for a season while we try to clean up his protection some more. If we draft anyone else, we'll have immediate impact.

The bigger picture is who we draft after the number one pick and who we acquire over the next year (FA and draft). This is a project.

Now more about Curry.... It was a standard interview of his (like the other ones) except he gets asked to compare himself to past and present great players. It was pretty funny to here Bills reaction to that. He's pretty dead set on wanting Curry at this point. It's only a 7 minute interview, so it's not too bad to listen to on the go.

March 13th, 2009, 7:09 am
Heisman Winner

It's well documented that I'm not a big fan of Ernie Sim's career thus far but if you ask him in October why he's having a rebound year, it will be because of Curry and hopefully one of LBs available at #20.

Blueskies wrote:

Unless the Lions are moving to a 3-4, I couldn't think of a dumber move than spending both first round picks on linebackers.

Well, it's been hinted at by Schwartz that the 3-4 is a possibility. Nonetheless, we are void of two LB positions in the current 4-3 and the LBs around the #20 pick seem to present some of the best value for that pick. I don't think it's "dumb" to fill two starting positions of need with what appears at the moment to be the slotted values for those picks. Just saying.... You don't pigeon hole yourself into doing that, because I'd certainly consider a lot of other positions, but don't act like it's unfathomable.

March 13th, 2009, 9:48 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Quote:

Blueskies wrote:

Well, it's been hinted at by Schwartz that the 3-4 is a possibility. Nonetheless, we are void of two LB positions in the current 4-3 and the LBs around the #20 pick seem to present some of the best value for that pick. I don't think it's "dumb" to fill two starting positions of need with what appears at the moment to be the slotted values for those picks. Just saying.... You don't pigeon hole yourself into doing that, because I'd certainly consider a lot of other positions, but don't act like it's unfathomable.

I would love a draft like:

1a. Curry
1b. Cushing
2. Jerry/Hood

That would put an end to the opponents running wild on us.

March 13th, 2009, 10:36 am
RIP Killer

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9330436/On-the-Clock:-Why-not-a-LB-at-No.-1

Quote:
Mention the name Aundray Bruce to an Atlanta Falcons fan and you'll get that "sour milk left out too long" face in return. You know the one. Pursed lips, pinched face — the look of sheer disgust.
"Aundray Bruce helps to define the ineptitude of one of the dismal franchises in sports history," says Steak Shapiro, host of Atlanta's 790 The Zone "Mayhem in the AM" radio show. "A franchise that has never had back-to-back winning seasons has Aundray Bruce as their poster boy."

To be kind, Bruce, the top overall pick out of Auburn in the 1988 NFL Draft, had a rather non-significant career with Atlanta. Hyped as the next Lawrence Taylor, the gangly linebacker with "unlimited potential" was expected to be the league's breakout star at OLB, a prototype for the next decade. In a first round that would net 15 eventual Pro Bowlers and two future NFL Hall of Famers (Michael Irvin, Randall McDaniel), it was Bruce — with just 32 career sacks — taken first.

No linebacker has been selected with the top overall pick since.

Insert Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry.

An expected top 10 pick entering the Combine last month, Curry did more than raise eyebrows in Indianapolis. He dropped jaws. Three weeks later, various mock drafts on the Internet — from some of the most respected prognosticators out there — have Curry going first overall to Detroit.

A linebacker taken with the top pick? Really? It's worth dissecting.

To be certain, as a group, the linebackers taken in the first round over the past two years have been far more successful in the league than the other positions taken in the top 32. Overall, their impact has been high on performance and immediacy. You want a first round pick to contribute right away? Snag an LB. Consider the linebackers picked in the first round of the '07 and '08 drafts:

Patrick Willis, 11th overall: 2007 NFL Rookie of the Year, 2-time Pro Bowl selection, 2-time All Pro
Lawrence Timmons, 15th overall: Steady contributor and up-and-coming player for Super Bowl XLIII champion Steelers
Jon Beason, 25th overall: 2008 Pro Bowl selection, 2008 First Team All-Pro
Vernon Gholston, 6th overall: Used primarily as a defensive end in college, did not contribute anything whatsoever in 2008 for the Jets at linebacker
Keith Rivers, 9th overall: Was having a fine, if not overly impressive, first season with the Bengals before suffering season-ending injury vs. Pittsburgh. Seems to be the centerpiece of the Cincinnati defense's plans for the future. Rivers was the only player other than Jerod Mayo to receive a vote for the 2008 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Award
Jerod Mayo, 10th overall: 2008 AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. In a normal year in which the AFC wasn't loaded with All-Pro performers at linebacker, Mayo would have been a Pro Bowler.
With the exception of Gholston, who under Rex Ryan may flourish in Year 2, every linebacker taken in the first round over the past two years has been a quality selection. Timmons, taken 15th overall, would likely be starting in Pittsburgh if it wasn't for teammate LaMarr Woodley, a linebacker grabbed in the second round that same year.

Where are we going with this? Perhaps linebacker — not quarterback, not running back, not offensive tackle — is the:"sure thing" pick at No. 1. And if Curry, who is being held in higher regard than all of the aforementioned first-round picks prior to their respective draft days, lives up to expectations — maybe it's him, and not a Stafford or Jason Smith, that the Lions should be looking to base their 1,000th rebuilding phase around. I asked fellow draftnik Rob Rang over at NFLDraftScout.com about this thought process. With so many first-round miscues in the past and the worst defense in the league for about 10 years running, should Detroit simply go with the top "pro-ready" linebacker — which, based on recent historical evidence, is the position most likely to succeed and make an impact in a positive and immediate way?

"The NFL currently operates under the belief that there are very few positions worthy of consideration with the top pick. Those positions are quarterback, left tackle, defensive linemen, and cornerbacks," Rang explains.

And why not linebacker?

"The value just simply isn't there for linebackers. This may, in part, be due to the many different defensive schemes that have evolved over the past 20 years. Blame it on the specialization that is occurring among linebackers. Teams using the 3-4 scheme, for example, are often finding success in converting collegiate 4-3 defensive ends into rush linebackers. These players aren't going to be valued by a team using the so-called Tampa 2, as their linebackers are generally smaller and more agile in coverage. With different schemes requiring different skills, rarely is there a linebacker with the size and athleticism to handle the outside position in multiple systems."

Is Curry that guy? The rare linebacker that can work in any coordinator's system in a variety of spots? Perhaps.

But I'd be shocked — regardless of his Combine performance, regardless of whether Jim Schwartz preaches defense or not, and regardless of what the "safe" thing might be — if Detroit went with the Wake Forest star with the first pick.

We haven't seen an LB taken top overall since 1988, and with offensive line and quarterback such dire needs for Detroit — I just don't see the streak ending.

Then again, these are the Lions.

And if we've learned anything over the years, they're not the most "conventional" franchise when it comes to the draft.

March 13th, 2009, 2:02 pm
National Champion

i don't care if it bucks the conventional wisdom of the "Experts"
Curry is the best of the top rated picks.

and fills a need for the lions..

they need to take him #1

March 13th, 2009, 2:48 pm
Team MVP

i don't care if it bucks the conventional wisdom of the "Experts"
Curry is the best of the top rated picks.

and fills a need for the lions..

they need to take him #1

This is the same thought I keep coming back to. I understand the QB being the most important position and all, but I think the smartest decision here is to really consider who they're getting and also remember that rebuilding is a multi-year process. I just keep coming back to taking the best player at #1. The fact that he fills a need makes it even more of a no-brainer for me.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 13th, 2009, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

I'm all for Curry #1 but I think this guy is RETARDED for throwing up data that supports taking a LB #1 then saying we shouldn't. I don't get it...

March 13th, 2009, 4:07 pm
NFL Veteran

(J.) Smith - I do not like him at all. Limited tackle experience. Small school. Spread offense. Seems to have risen up the boards because he is a workout warrior, which may not translate onto the field. Reminds me of Vernon Davis in many respects. High probability of becoming a bust.

Curry - Best player available. Very low chance of busting. However, limited impact on the field due to position.

Agree with Jason Smith. Disagree about Curry.

Regarding Curry, he would be limited if you pigeon-holed him in a cookie cutter system. In Schwartz evolutionary defense, he already stated that he would take advantage of Curry's versatility and that exclusivity to a position is overrated. As long as he's making plays, he's having a impact. In Schwartz defense he would not be 'limited' in his impact in any way.

Regarding Jason Smith. I agree that people are jumping the gun annointing him the top tackle after merely workouts. Monroe actually looked better in position drills than Jason Smith which is more pertinent. I do think that Jason Smith demonstrated that he has the tools to be the best of the bunch so his ceiling is really high. Can he reach it? I think he might, because he's extremely intelligent and very competitive.

But he didn't consistently dominate for a 4-8 Baylor team. He graded outstanding in some, and average in most. A couple of games he graded 72 against inferior DE's. Monroe is mister consistency never getting lower than 80 and having the highest average grade over the top 6 tackles.

I don't think Jason Smith will bust, I mentioned that he will at least be as good as Monroe is now. I think Jason Smith helped himself a lot, but not enough to trump the Offensive Tackle who was the best in country on a consistent basis where it mattered: on the field.

March 13th, 2009, 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Listening to Curry's interview on the Huge Show just reinforces my thoughts that he has to be the #1 pick. I think he can be the leader for our defense for years to come.

March 13th, 2009, 7:16 pm
RIP Killer

Enthusiastically?! Were you there when they made the decision? Tell me S&C, did Baltimore give Suggs the tag because of his ability, or because of his ability combined with his age? I think if they had to choose between Lewis in his prime and Suggs in his prime, Lewis gets tagged without a doubt. And there were PLENTY of teams interested in Lewis. How and why the issue was resolved between him and Baltimore is unknown. I would suspect that Lewis chose to finish his career in a Ravens uniform rather than in another city.

And, when Urlacher was injured and Harris was healthy, the Bears defense had a terrible season. But when Chicago had Urlacher back, their defense became one of the best in the league again.

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:

Yes, there are positions that are more important than others. However, you put a so-so player in a "premium" position and things don't work as well. However, if you put a top flite player into a less important position they suddenly become a difference maker. Taking a so-so player to fill a "premium" position is far less prudent than taking a very good player to fill a "less premium" position. You take two players of roughly equal ability and put one in a premium position versus the other player in a less vital spot (like Walter Jones versus Steven Hutchinson) and of course the player in the more vital spot gets the glory. But perhaps part of their success can be attributed to the less hailed player on that unit.

But they DID take a QB. How did that turn out? What happened? Was there a GUARANTEE that Cutler would be a good (not yet great) NFL QB? Remember that two QBs were taken AHEAD of Cutler, so why single him out? OH, that's right....those two QBs haven't panned out.
I'm not defending the drafts the Lions have had...far from it. I've hated just about every draft the Lions had under Millen. I would have done things differently, and we would have players like Shawne Merriman, Justin Tuck, JAY CUTLER (yes, he was my favorite QB that draft year), Jason Witten....however not every player I thought would be good has turned out that way.

The Texans took Mario Williams because he was willing to agree to the contract they offered him, Reggie Bush wouldn't. That much was acknowledged once the details came out. In fact, I can recall people talking about how Reggie Bush should have fired his agent because he lost money by not agreeing to the contract being offered. If Reggie would have been willing to accept those terms, things would have likely turned out different. The whole statement that Mario was really the player they were targeting all along is garbage. All teams say that because they aren't going to spit in the face of their new star by saying "Well, we really wanted player X, but we settled for player Y." Look how that is playing out in Denver right now.

Again, if I have to choose between a linebacker with no apparent short comings and a quarterback with red flags or an offensive tackle considered to be somewhat raw with a first overall pick, I'm taking the safest pick that is likely to contribute immediately and possibly become a superstar. AND, because he's a linebacker, he may not demand as much money as the other two "premium" positions. I never said that their position shouldn't be considered at all....I just don't think it should override all other aspects. If you listen to the Hair Helmet, he'd tell you that any QB rated as a top ten prospect automatically should jump to the front of the line if the top overall pick belongs to a team with QB needs. That's garbage. And that is my point...consider the player before you consider the position he plays.

March 13th, 2009, 9:52 pm
#1 Overall Pick

did Baltimore give Suggs the tag because of his ability, or because of his ability combined with his age? I think if they had to choose between Lewis in his prime and Suggs in his prime, Lewis gets tagged without a doubt

:idea: :idea: :idea:

EXACTLY!!!!

Suggs is about 26 years old now...... and Ray was about the same age after the Ravens won the Super Bowl.

Ray was the Super Bowl MVP...... and in the talk for league MVP..... so who would have gotten the tag between the 2 of them at that point???

Ray Lewis in his PRIME is worth WAAAAAAYYYYY more than Suggs has ever been worth.

I'm not saying Curry is Ray Lewis either....... but the position argument only matters IF there is a stud at QB, LT, or DE. There is not a GREAT prospect at any of those positions, so the Lions should either trade down (if even remotely possible) or take a SAFE pick (Curry or Monroe).

Quote:
The Lions arguably are bad not just because they lack talent generally, which certainly has a lot to do with it, but also because they have ignored the premium positions. Of all of those top 10 picks over the years: how many were used on QB's, pass rusthers, or left tackles? Only one. They passed up Jay Cutler, they passed up DeMarcus Ware, they passed up Joe Thomas. We have taken some decent players with those high picks: Erine Sims, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson. Whoopdey dee. So we have a good receiver and a linebacker on a team with no QB and no talent in the trenches

And EVERY NFL team passed up QB Tom Brady for 5 rounds!!!

The only thing that going over PAST Lion draft choices since 2000 proves is that Millen was terrible in every draft!!!

In 2002.......

The Texans selected... QB...... David Carr.... with the #1 overall pick.

The Ravens selected.... a FS..... Ed Reed.... with the #24 overall pick.

Maybe the Texans should have selected a "non-premium" position player?

In 2005.... the 49ers took Alex Smith b/c you HAVE to take a player a player at a "premium" position! They also passed on DeMarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman!

Don't get me wrong.

I've said it here before that I would MUCH rather have a QB, LT, or DE with a top 5 pick.

I'm still thinking Monroe or J. Smith might be the right pick..... but they really aren't getting a ton of love from the scouts either.... in comparison to a Jon Ogden or Pace.

At some point...... there is a VERY REAL decision that has to be made between choosing an ordinary player at a "priority position" versus choosing a "special player" at a position other than QB, OLT, or D-line.

In a perfect world.... I'm trading down.

But that isn't very likely is it?

WHY???

Because there isn't a GREAT prospect at one of those "PREMIUM" positions..... which is why the Lions have to consider taking Curry.

March 13th, 2009, 11:24 pm
3rd Round Selection

At this point I'm going to say that Aaron Curry has become completely overrated.

I’m not saying he’s not going to be a good player but I just don’t see how the Lions can seriously consider a linebacker for the #1 pick and why so many fans have jumped on this he’s the safest pick bandwagon. The number one pick is about value so it doesn’t matter who’s rated higher, but who has a higher value. Linebackers don’t get paid big money so their value is lower than a QB, LT or DE. Sorry, but that’s just a fact.

You can point out all the great things about Curry but one stat that stands out to me in 4 years of starting he only produced 9 sacks. Which tells me he is not a pass rusher and therefore isn’t going to be the difference maker people want him to be. He’s not going to justify his contract or be able turn this team around by making a lot of tackles.

March 14th, 2009, 11:41 am
League MVP

Considering almost nobody else on our D actually tackles, the ability to make a lot of tackles probably could turn our D around. Curry has leadership qualities that we desperately need on defense. He can bring the fire and a heart to our D. Another stat not to miss is INTs and TDs. Curry has 6 INTs over his career and 3 TDs.

To compare stats, not to say Curry will be the next Ray, Ray Lewis only had 6 sacks as a three year starter at Miami, getting exactly 2 in each season.

March 14th, 2009, 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next