View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Aaron Curry= BEAST 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Totally lost sight of the fact that this is an Aaron Curry thread. Apologies. :oops:

March 17th, 2009, 2:06 pm
NFL Veteran

Agreed, and I'll go further...

Getting Cutler will cost AT LEAST #20 this year and our first rounder in 2010. However, if traded, I think Cutler will ultimately command a much higher price than that. I could see the price being two firsts, two seconds, and maybe a little more. We're talking about a young Pro Bowl QB. Consider what we got for Roy Williams--Cutler is worth a lot more than Williams. Further, Denver is going to be able to command a very high price for Cutler because there are a number of teams interested, which creates a bidding war.

With that said, it's probably worth it. Pro Bowl QBs, especially young ones, are very rare. One never knows when the next one will come along. If the opportunity to get a player of Cutler's caliber presents itself, the Lions would be crazy not to take advantage. Even if it means giving up a number of picks.

Woah, I think you took it too far. If teams are willing to drive up the price where it'll require two first round picks, two seconds, and then some? Let them have him. The Lions aren't in a position to just start chucking picks like there was no tomorrow.

Like everyone else, Cutler has a certain value, and it's not unlimited. His petulent immaturity and all the picks he throws don't help his cause in being worth all of a teams day 1 picks for two years. Talk about setting back an organization.

March 17th, 2009, 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Hey fellas...as mwill2 nicely reminded all of us, this is an Aaron Curry thread NOT a Cutler thread.....Let's get back on topic please! Thanks!

March 17th, 2009, 3:27 pm
QB Coach

Hey fellas...as mwill2 nicely reminded all of us, this is an Aaron Curry thread NOT a Cutler thread.....Let's get back on topic please! Thanks!

Sorry. My bad.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 17th, 2009, 4:15 pm
NFL Veteran

Mayhew on how the acquisition of Julian Peterson affects Aaron Curry's draft status.

Martin Mayhew wrote:
“(Bringing in Peterson) doesn’t change our draft plans at all,” said Mayhew. “I went to Wake Forest this fall and I talked to the coaches and their people about Aaron’s ability to play inside. When we met with Aaron at the combine we thought about his ability to play (middle linebacker). We felt like Aaron’s versatility was something that attracted us to him from the very beginning. It doesn’t in any way affect our draft plan.”

Read that however you like. Smokescreen or whatever. At face value it sounds like they still want Curry.

It does tell me he was on the radar for a long time.

March 17th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Quote:
“When I first saw that they acquired (Peterson), I was just excited,” said Curry. “I watch him play and he’s a great player – a Pro Bowler; I watch Ernie Sims play and he’s a Pro Bowler and to put me in between the two of them would be exciting. Either you’re going to run at Julian Peterson, you’re going to run at Ernie Sims or you’ve got to take it to the rookie.

“And I can learn so much from Julian Peterson; I can learn so much from Ernie Sims because of their experience and them being great ballplayers. They know what it takes to be successful linebackers.”

Damn that visual is great!

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue on March 17th, 2009, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Offense

...you’ve got to take it to the rookie.

Yeah, great visual. I think Ernie, with some help at other positions, will get back to his rookie form, and be a freak, and he might just get most of the action since running at Curry or Peterson is going to be painful.

I know we have secondary and DL to fix a bit more in the draft, but I think we can at least get back to our 20th ranked defense of 05. Marinelli's changes immediately dropped us to 28th, and we know barry then "raised" us to 32nd for 2 consecutive seasons. I think we might actually improve on 20th, but just getting back to below mediocrity will make me happy for now lol.

March 17th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Walk On

Picture it. The down is fourth, and the distance two. The running back surveys the field. He looks left, sees Sims. He looks forward, and feels fear as he meets the gaze of Curry, shoulder still sore from their last encounter. So he looks right, hoping for relief. Much to his dismay he sees the physique. It can only be Peterson- the last sight of many a quarterback before the darkness and the smelling salts. The back shudders.

He shakes off the feeling and surveys his line, thinking, 'it's only two yards'. Before he can fully settle, he sees 'the shadow' and feels a rumble in the earth. He's heard tales, but never seen this mythical creature. Surely it can't be true. Grip fears him as he gazes upon 686 pounds of man-beast. Ogres- parading as men. They are given names like Jackson and Brace, so as to not scare the children. It is then that he knows it. In this game of inches, he needs miles.

He gathers himself and hears the call. The hand off. The fullback disappears into the darkness. Now it is his turn. He closes his eyes and prays for mercy. In the darkness, he stumbles over something; it must be the fullback. Better him than me, he thinks. Eyes now open, he thinks he sees... it must be a mirage. NO- it's a glimmer of light. He lunges for it with all of his might. To his dismay, the light disappears. It is replaced instead by a violent collision. Pain shoots through him. Then, the numbness. He flips through the air and, now disoriented, lands with a thud. He is still alive, but barely. He realizes that he is no longer holding the ball. No matter, he thinks. 'I'm just glad that is over'.

He lies there, as cheers erupt. Suddenly a great voice begins.... "Forward down the field...."

-ILMP

March 17th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Hall of Fame Player

mwill2 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
v1ly4 wrote:
jomo269 wrote:
Aaron Curry...#1. Best available DT...#20.

Trade #33 and 3b to Denver for Cutler.

3a draft the best available OG.

IMO this would be the best draft for the Lions in years.

Chris Mortenson is just reporting that Cutler has officelly asked to be traded. Go for it and then cut Culpepper, great offseason and draft. 8)

a second- and third-round pick for a young, proven, solid, starting franchise QB? Denver would be nuts to trade Cutler for #33 + #84.

I know there's drama in Denver, but they're not going to give him up for less than two first rounders (or equivalent value).

While I agree that Denver won't take #33 and #82 in exchange for Cutler, they aren't in position to demand two first rounders either. They have an unhappy player who seemingly is no longer interested in suiting up for them. They also have that players agent telling anyone and everyone that whoever trades for Cutler had better be ready to sign him to a new, long term and far more lucrative contract. Bus Cook is NOT putting Denver into a good bargaining position.

All that said, I believe Denver would take #20 and #33 in exchange for Cutler. However, if I were Mayhew I would offer #20 and #82 as a starting point. At the very most I would try to force getting a pick back if I am offering #20 and #33. I would want their second rounder (#48) in return.....

I would hope that Detroit understands they are in a good bargaining position.

While you have a great point that Denver cannot negotiate from a position of power, you have to realize that Detroit is not negotiating against Denver.

The Lions are negotiating against every other team that wants Cutler. Tampa Bay, the Jets, the Vikings, possibly Carolina, Cleveland, Chicago, Arizona. Even teams like Seattle, Jacksonville and St. Louis could make a play for Cutler.

I think the Lions will have to give up at least #20 and #33 to acquire Cutler. Bare minimum.

I agree completely. People here seem to be thinking that Denver won't have any choice but to give up Cutler for next to nothing. There are numerous teams interested, and Denver is going to have their choice of deals to choose from (if they decide to let Cutler go, and that's a big if). As I've said before, I still don't see what Detroit can offer Denver that is better than several other teams around the league. Unless it's a deal involving Detroit and another team, I just don't see Cutler coming to the Lions.

Agreed, and I'll go further...

Getting Cutler will cost AT LEAST #20 this year and our first rounder in 2010. However, if traded, I think Cutler will ultimately command a much higher price than that. I could see the price being two firsts, two seconds, and maybe a little more. We're talking about a young Pro Bowl QB. Consider what we got for Roy Williams--Cutler is worth a lot more than Williams. Further, Denver is going to be able to command a very high price for Cutler because there are a number of teams interested, which creates a bidding war.

With that said, it's probably worth it. Pro Bowl QBs, especially young ones, are very rare. One never knows when the next one will come along. If the opportunity to get a player of Cutler's caliber presents itself, the Lions would be crazy not to take advantage. Even if it means giving up a number of picks.

I don't agree with that statement. I'm not one who's completely sold on Cutler. Sure he's got a really strong arm and has shown some potiential. But he also makes a lot of bad decisions and throws a lot of INTs. And it's not like he's going to improve by leaps and bounds over where he is now. Sure he should still improve some, but he's heading into his 4th year. This is about the time when QBs start reaching their peak. Look at Manning, Brady, Montana, hell even a guy like McNabb. By they're 4th season, you pretty much know what they are. And Cutler is a "gunslinger" who's always going to make some questionable decisions and throw a lot of picks. He's a highlight reel guy, both with positive and negative plays. I'm not so sure that's worth a lot of draft picks, especially with as many needs as the Lions have.

AMEN.

March 17th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Picture it. The down is fourth, and the distance two. The running back surveys the field. He looks left, sees Sims. He looks forward, and feels fear as he meets the gaze of Curry, shoulder still sore from their last encounter. So he looks right, hoping for relief. Much to his dismay he sees the physique. It can only be Peterson- the last sight of many a quarterback before the darkness and the smelling salts. The back shudders.

He shakes off the feeling and surveys his line, thinking, 'it's only two yards'. Before he can fully settle, he sees 'the shadow' and feels a rumble in the earth. He's heard tales, but never seen this mythical creature. Surely it can't be true. Grip fears him as he gazes upon 686 pounds of man-beast. Ogres- parading as men. They are given names like Jackson and Brace, so as to not scare the children. It is then that he knows it. In this game of inches, he needs miles.

He gathers himself and hears the call. The hand off. The fullback disappears into the darkness. Now it is his turn. He closes his eyes and prays for mercy. In the darkness, he stumbles over something; it must be the fullback. Better him than me, he thinks. Eyes now open, he thinks he sees... it must be a mirage. NO- it's a glimmer of light. He lunges for it with all of his might. To his dismay, the light disappears. It is replaced instead by a violent collision. Pain shoots through him. Then, the numbness. He flips through the air and, now disoriented, lands with a thud. He is still alive, but barely. He realizes that he is no longer holding the ball. No matter, he thinks. 'I'm just glad that is over'.

He lies there, as cheers erupt. Suddenly a great voice begins.... "Forward down the field...."

-ILMP

Tom Clancy? Is that you? LOL.

March 17th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Modmin Dude

Aaron Curry, Julian Peterson meet at Lions' facility
Posted by Tom Kowalski March 18, 2009 00:15AM
ALLEN PARK -- Aaron Curry, a Wake Forest linebacker and possible No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL draft, was eating breakfast Monday morning at the Detroit Lions' practice facility when Julian Peterson walked into the cafeteria.

"I knew immediately who he was. I've watched Julian Peterson play for a long time," Curry said. "He came in and sat down right in front of me. I don't think he knew who I was, but he acted like he was just as excited to meet me as I was to meet him. He gave me a lot of good advice about how to be successful in the NFL, including working hard and staying levelheaded."

Peterson, a 10-year veteran and five-time Pro Bowler, had just been dealt to the Lions in exchange for defensive tackle Cory Redding, who was sent to the Seattle Seahawks. At first glance, it appeared Peterson's presence might eliminate Curry as Detroit's first pick in the draft because they both play strongside linebacker.

Curry, though, was thrilled to see Peterson.

"When I found out about the trade -- I'm a positive person -- the first thing I thought was that I'd be playing middle linebacker for the Lions," Curry said. "I'm a versatile player."

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew agreed with Curry's assessment, saying the Peterson trade does not change Detroit's draft plans.

Mayhew, adding the Lions already had talked about Curry's ability to play the middle, said: "We're familiar with Aaron, we've watched him a lot. We feel comfortable that he could start at (middle linebacker) from day one."

Curry was in Allen Park as part of an on-site interview with the Lions, who already had hosted two other potential No. 1 picks: Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and Baylor left tackle Jason Smith. Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is expected to visit the Lions today, according to NFL.com.

Most draft analysts predict Curry will go No. 1 to Detroit or to the Kansas City Chiefs (No. 3 overall) or Seahawks (No. 4). Still, he said it is important to him to go first.

"Playing in the NFL is a lifetime dream, and going No. 1 would put a cap on my college career," Curry said. "But being No. 1 isn't just about me, it's about the linebacker position. It'll bring about change for that position, and I can show the importance of linebackers in a defense."

The last linebacker to be drafted first overall was Aundray Bruce to the Atlanta Falcons in 1988 -- two years after Curry was born. Bruce played 11 years in the league but was considered a bust because he started only 42 games.

Curry, meanwhile, doesn't see how he can fail, especially if he goes to Detroit, where he would play between Peterson and Ernie Sims, the ninth overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"They'll show me the ropes," Curry said. "I just think how much easier my rookie season would be to play between Julian Peterson and Ernie Sims. They'd help me prepare and they'll both play great."

Mayhew said acquiring Peterson fills one of the Lions' two linebacker needs.

"We wanted to get bigger there. I think Julian brings two things," Mayhew said, "productivity, not just tackle productivity but sacks, sacks-fumbles, passes defensed, he can intercept the ball, he makes splash plays, drive-killing plays. The other thing he brings his versatility.

"We were very concerned with our ability to rush the passer and I'm less concerned about that now."

© 2009 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... on_me.html

March 18th, 2009, 9:17 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

MLive wrote:
Aaron Curry, Julian Peterson meet at Lions' facility
Posted by Tom Kowalski March 18, 2009 00:15AM
ALLEN PARK -- Aaron Curry, a Wake Forest linebacker and possible No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL draft, was eating breakfast Monday morning at the Detroit Lions' practice facility when Julian Peterson walked into the cafeteria.

"I knew immediately who he was. I've watched Julian Peterson play for a long time," Curry said. "He came in and sat down right in front of me. I don't think he knew who I was, but he acted like he was just as excited to meet me as I was to meet him. He gave me a lot of good advice about how to be successful in the NFL, including working hard and staying levelheaded."

Peterson, a 10-year veteran and five-time Pro Bowler, had just been dealt to the Lions in exchange for defensive tackle Cory Redding, who was sent to the Seattle Seahawks. At first glance, it appeared Peterson's presence might eliminate Curry as Detroit's first pick in the draft because they both play strongside linebacker.

Curry, though, was thrilled to see Peterson.

"When I found out about the trade -- I'm a positive person -- the first thing I thought was that I'd be playing middle linebacker for the Lions," Curry said. "I'm a versatile player."

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew agreed with Curry's assessment, saying the Peterson trade does not change Detroit's draft plans.

Mayhew, adding the Lions already had talked about Curry's ability to play the middle, said: "We're familiar with Aaron, we've watched him a lot. We feel comfortable that he could start at (middle linebacker) from day one."

Curry was in Allen Park as part of an on-site interview with the Lions, who already had hosted two other potential No. 1 picks: Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and Baylor left tackle Jason Smith. Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is expected to visit the Lions today, according to NFL.com.

Most draft analysts predict Curry will go No. 1 to Detroit or to the Kansas City Chiefs (No. 3 overall) or Seahawks (No. 4). Still, he said it is important to him to go first.

"Playing in the NFL is a lifetime dream, and going No. 1 would put a cap on my college career," Curry said. "But being No. 1 isn't just about me, it's about the linebacker position. It'll bring about change for that position, and I can show the importance of linebackers in a defense."

The last linebacker to be drafted first overall was Aundray Bruce to the Atlanta Falcons in 1988 -- two years after Curry was born. Bruce played 11 years in the league but was considered a bust because he started only 42 games.

Curry, meanwhile, doesn't see how he can fail, especially if he goes to Detroit, where he would play between Peterson and Ernie Sims, the ninth overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"They'll show me the ropes," Curry said. "I just think how much easier my rookie season would be to play between Julian Peterson and Ernie Sims. They'd help me prepare and they'll both play great."

Mayhew said acquiring Peterson fills one of the Lions' two linebacker needs.

"We wanted to get bigger there. I think Julian brings two things," Mayhew said, "productivity, not just tackle productivity but sacks, sacks-fumbles, passes defensed, he can intercept the ball, he makes splash plays, drive-killing plays. The other thing he brings his versatility.

"We were very concerned with our ability to rush the passer and I'm less concerned about that now."

© 2009 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... on_me.html

I REALLY hope we draft Curry... I think we would arguably have the best LBs in the league if we do so.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 18th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Team MVP

At first I was unsure about Curry's ability to play MLB but now after learning more about him, I feel like he would be able to do it. That would be a pretty exciting LB group to watch flying all over the field.

March 18th, 2009, 12:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

At first I was unsure about Curry's ability to play MLB but now after learning more about him, I feel like he would be able to do it. That would be a pretty exciting LB group to watch flying all over the field.

That's what I am saying! :D

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 18th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

For what it's worth, Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan were talking about Curry in Detroit on Sirius radio today. They said that any thought of the Lions drafting Curry went out the window when the Peterson trade happened. They basically said not to believe any smokescreens from Detroit about Curry and that a LT would almost certainly be the pick.

I don't necessarily agree but, again, for what's it worth...

March 18th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next