View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Aaron Curry= BEAST 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
And once again we will have an offense on the sideline while the defense gets their @$$es handed to them. You are the making the assertion that fixing the OL that this team will miraculously become wonderful. When they won't be able to do a damn thing on the sideline. Just look at this damn Saints game !!!!!

If we had a defense, we might be able to get the damn offense on the field. YOU ARE THE ONE BEING SHORT SIGHTED !!! I'm not loosing any ground. I have the evidence right before you and it's on tape!!!! You are just being ignorant to the facts even though they are smacking you in the face every time you watch this team.

What is your overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary of what I am saying? The other sheeple that agree with you is evidence? I call it lemming syndrome. I'm seeing plenty of evidence to the contrary of what your saying, and hopefully those that are put in charge of running this team will have the wisdom to to fix the real problems on the Lions.

I NEVER make the claim that fixing the offense will "miraculously" make the team "wonderful." I say that the team will be COMPETITIVE, and it would be. If we had a good offense this game would be 21 or 28 to 28 or 35. We WOULD NOT have allowed 42 points for virtue of time of possession alone, and our D WOULD have played better if they were more rested.

The offense is going to get their opportunitties regardless, whether it si from them scoring or our defense stopping them, the offense is going to get on the field. The ONLY question is what the score is when the offense goes out there.

The OVERWHELMING evidence is the FACT that virtually EVERY scouting site and virtually EVERY mock draft does NOT have ANY defensive player going in the top 4-5 picks. There is OVERWHELMING evidence that there is NOT an impact DE or DT this year, and there OVERWHELMING evdience that you absolutely CANNOT pay a SSLB, MLB, or SS $50 MILLION dollars as a rookie. I'm not talking about other people on here agreeing with me, I'm talking about EXPERTS evaluating TALENT in the draft.

I have said time and time again that I would draft Mario Williams, Julius Peppers or Javon Kersk #1 overall this year. I would even draft Vincent Wilfork #1 over all this year. HOWEVER, there aren't ANY DL players of that caliber in this draft. You have to deal with the hand you're dealt, and ours is the simple fact that all of the top four talents (if not more) in this draft our on the offensive side of the ball.

SCOUTING AND DRAFT SITES are your overwhelming evidence? They are wrong more often then they are right. Just compare their mock drafts to every real draft. Those site might have a 15% accuracy and that's being generous!

Comparing "mock drafts" and talent evaluations are two totally different things. One is trying to predict which players are going to get drafted by which team, which is virtually impossible, and the other ranks the players value. Talent evaulations tend to be right on. You know how you can tell? Because RARELY do NFL teams draft differently from the talent evaluations. That means that their draft boards are very similar to those of the talent evaluators. I can't think of a player in the last 5 years that was a total "surpise" in the top 5 picks.

December 21st, 2008, 5:11 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
And once again we will have an offense on the sideline while the defense gets their @$$es handed to them. You are the making the assertion that fixing the OL that this team will miraculously become wonderful. When they won't be able to do a damn thing on the sideline. Just look at this damn Saints game !!!!!

If we had a defense, we might be able to get the damn offense on the field. YOU ARE THE ONE BEING SHORT SIGHTED !!! I'm not loosing any ground. I have the evidence right before you and it's on tape!!!! You are just being ignorant to the facts even though they are smacking you in the face every time you watch this team.

What is your overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary of what I am saying? The other sheeple that agree with you is evidence? I call it lemming syndrome. I'm seeing plenty of evidence to the contrary of what your saying, and hopefully those that are put in charge of running this team will have the wisdom to to fix the real problems on the Lions.

I NEVER make the claim that fixing the offense will "miraculously" make the team "wonderful." I say that the team will be COMPETITIVE, and it would be. If we had a good offense this game would be 21 or 28 to 28 or 35. We WOULD NOT have allowed 42 points for virtue of time of possession alone, and our D WOULD have played better if they were more rested.

The offense is going to get their opportunitties regardless, whether it si from them scoring or our defense stopping them, the offense is going to get on the field. The ONLY question is what the score is when the offense goes out there.

The OVERWHELMING evidence is the FACT that virtually EVERY scouting site and virtually EVERY mock draft does NOT have ANY defensive player going in the top 4-5 picks. There is OVERWHELMING evidence that there is NOT an impact DE or DT this year, and there OVERWHELMING evdience that you absolutely CANNOT pay a SSLB, MLB, or SS $50 MILLION dollars as a rookie. I'm not talking about other people on here agreeing with me, I'm talking about EXPERTS evaluating TALENT in the draft.

I have said time and time again that I would draft Mario Williams, Julius Peppers or Javon Kersk #1 overall this year. I would even draft Vincent Wilfork #1 over all this year. HOWEVER, there aren't ANY DL players of that caliber in this draft. You have to deal with the hand you're dealt, and ours is the simple fact that all of the top four talents (if not more) in this draft our on the offensive side of the ball.

SCOUTING AND DRAFT SITES are your overwhelming evidence? They are wrong more often then they are right. Just compare their mock drafts to every real draft. Those site might have a 15% accuracy and that's being generous!

Comparing "mock drafts" and talent evaluations are two totally different things. One is trying to predict which players are going to get drafted by which team, which is virtually impossible, and the other ranks the players value. Talent evaulations tend to be right on. You know how you can tell? Because RARELY do NFL teams draft differently from the talent evaluations. That means that their draft boards are very similar to those of the talent evaluators. I can't think of a player in the last 5 years that was a total "surpise" in the top 5 picks.

Mike Williams ring a bell?

December 21st, 2008, 6:10 pm

Mike Williams was ranked #1 on many draft boards and he WAS picked inside the top 10. The talent evaluators had a similar draft board to us, apparently. Thus, they were right!

Billy, you can't seem to understand that players will bust, and HIGHLY ranked players will bust, but you HAVE to draft based upon pre-draft talent rankings. You don't draft Colston #1 over all because he turned out to be a good WR. YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS GOING TO BUST AND WHO IS GOING TO BE GREAT. You can't use the "crystal ball" method of drafting, no matter how much you want to.

December 21st, 2008, 6:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

Mike Williams was ranked #1 on many draft boards and he WAS picked inside the top 10. The talent evaluators had a similar draft board to us, apparently. Thus, they were right!

Billy, you can't seem to understand that players will bust, and HIGHLY ranked players will bust, but you HAVE to draft based upon pre-draft talent rankings. You don't draft Colston #1 over all because he turned out to be a good WR. YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS GOING TO BUST AND WHO IS GOING TO BE GREAT. You can't use the "crystal ball" method of drafting, no matter how much you want to.

I think the Crystal Ball method would be far more successful than the Lions method. LOL.

And to the contrary, I know players can be busts. The Lions have picked a hell of a lot of busts over the last decade.

December 21st, 2008, 6:20 pm
RIP Killer

Aaron Curry is overrated. Not worthy of a #1 pick. You have the #1 pick, you play it safe. You don't pick based on potential or a project.

Especially when you ask a player to switch positions...

Can Currey be a great blitzer and get 10+ sacks a season? Possibly. But he could just as easily turd out like Manny Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley have, guys who were just as similar when drafted. Okay, Wimbley has been decent since drafted, but he's not very good in coverage whatsoever.

December 21st, 2008, 7:05 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I watched most of the WF vs Navy game yesterday just to see Curry play. While he was impressive at times with his tackling and hitting, it seemed there were times when he would coast. I don't feel that after seeing him play that he would be worthy of a top five pick.

December 21st, 2008, 9:38 pm
I watched most of the WF vs Navy game yesterday just to see Curry play. While he was impressive at times with his tackling and hitting, it seemed there were times when he would coast. I don't feel that after seeing him play that he would be worthy of a top five pick.

I agree... I'm hesitant to pick someone from Wake Forest in the top 5, unless he looks AMAZING. At this point I think I would take Maualuga over Curry. I'm torn on Laurenitis v Curry.

December 21st, 2008, 10:01 pm
National Champion

I tuned in just to watch him, and yesterday didn't help his stock value. He looked like a 2nd rounder at best to me.

December 21st, 2008, 10:06 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Lions are not going to draft LB with that top pick and don't believe they can trade it either.

On a different note: Mike Williams was #1 on Mel Kiper's board and that was about it. Going into the draft I heard Rick Gosselin on the radio say that Williams was going to be drafted at the bottom of round one because teams were not impressed with speed or his workouts. But Millen was apparently using Kiper's draft to guide to make picks that day instead of going to his workouts.

December 21st, 2008, 10:49 pm
Heisman Winner

DL talent seems to be the hardest to sort out at the top of round 1. There doesn not appear to be a DL in the class of Darrell Russel this year who is clearly the top prospect. I think WJB is on the right track in that regard.

The fact that the Lions need a DT and a DE does not mean that they will find a great one at the top of this draft. The top level players are likely to be OT. The NFL scouts will determine who is elite and who is average as far as prospects go. I think this comes down to player grades, and need of the team. In this case, the Lions can settle for a top OT if they have no better options. IF the QB grades high enough, they'll likely pull that trigger. The trick is to not grade players based on your needs at the top of the draft. They should not reach for a DE if there is a better OT or QB prospect there. I know the d needs help, but the whole team is bad and no player should be safe. There's no one good enough on the team to preclude the Lions from picking a player at thier position.

December 21st, 2008, 11:02 pm
Team MVP

Thought the same exact thing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 21st, 2008, 11:52 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:

I agree... I'm hesitant to pick someone from Wake Forest in the top 5, unless he looks AMAZING. At this point I think I would take Maualuga over Curry. I'm torn on Laurenitis v Curry.

Same here, I want Maualuga.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 21st, 2008, 11:57 pm
Heisman Winner

I think with the hiring of a defensive minded coach, it increases the odds of Curry being the #1. :idea:

January 16th, 2009, 3:36 pm
Heisman Winner

nfl.com has a video clip of Mayock analyzing Curry on some plays. It's worth a look. What surprises me is the amount of folks here who'll say things like Curry is a rd 2 guy or Stafford is a rd 2 guy when the 'pros' say these are some of the best individual prospects to come out in years. Thats the kind of thing these same folks said about CJ, and while I still admit I didn't want the Lions to pick him, it looks to be true that he is what they said he would be.

It might be interesting to talk abit about who the draft talent evaluators are who make the best analysis and are often accurate in their assesments. I thought one of the best was Joel Buschbaum, and I think Mayock from NFL does a pretty good job.

January 16th, 2009, 4:03 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Those who question Curry simply because he's from Wake are generally the same who doubted Mario Williams and Philip Rivers because they played at NC State. We should definitely at least consider him as the #1 overall pick. He is a bona fide stud.

January 16th, 2009, 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next