View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Aaron Curry= BEAST 
QB Coach

I like Curry a lot but I don't know if he's worth #1. He will go top 10 and probably top 5. He is going to be an SSLB in the NFL. Some people are projecting him to the middle, especially in the 3-4 but I think his skills work best on the outside in a 4-3. He can cover pretty good so he should be able to stick with the TE and RB out of the backfield and he has good speed. He is always around the ball and is a sure tackler. I haven't seen him rush the passer too much, but even living here in ACC country I've only seen a handful of Wake games. If we somehow traded down into the 3-8 range I would pick him no question.

January 16th, 2009, 5:26 pm
Walk On

Scott Wright has him at #2 overall, so #1 is hardly a stretch. I like this over LT at #1 personally.

Quote:
2. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
Playmaker at the linebacker position with terrific size and speed.

-ILMP

January 18th, 2009, 2:34 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

This may have already been asked so sorry if it has but is Curry staying at the OLB postion or is he projected at MLB in the NFL?

January 18th, 2009, 5:46 pm
Team MVP

Thats what im wondering too. We have Sims at WLB, can Curry play MLB and play it very well?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2009, 12:00 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

No linebacker has ever been drafted #1 overall in the salary cap era because linebackers don't get paid $60+ million.

Which is why I don't believe the Lions are looking at a LB with that pick. Unless he's the next Lawerence Taylor the value is just not there.

January 19th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Veteran General Manager

No linebacker has ever been drafted #1 overall in the salary cap era because linebackers don't get paid $60+ million.

Which is why I don't believe the Lions are looking at a LB with that pick. Unless he's the next Lawerence Taylor the value is just not there.

And until this year, no team had ever gone 0-16. There's a first time for everything.

January 20th, 2009, 1:39 am
Walk On

If you want to argue who's worth what, consider this:

10 million for LT renders Backus' 5 million dead. Effective cost to team is 15 million dollars. This to bring our LT from .58 sacks/game to optimistically .18 sacks/game. You are talking about an improvement of roughly one sack every 3 games for 15 million dollars.

If we keep Backus and take Curry for 10 million, we don't render 5 million dead. That means 5 million more for free agency. We could sign a quality FA guard for 5 million/year and draft OG at #33. This will solidify the line more than LT alone. Aaron Curry plus a 5 million dollar free agent lineman is better than Andre Smith any day of the week.

Aaron Curry is a better deal at 10 million than Andre Smith/ Michael Oher at an effective cost of 15 million.

-ILMP

January 21st, 2009, 1:23 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If you want to argue who's worth what, consider this:

10 million for LT renders Backus' 5 million dead. Effective cost to team is 15 million dollars. This to bring our LT from .58 sacks/game to optimistically .18 sacks/game. You are talking about an improvement of roughly one sack every 3 games for 15 million dollars.

If we keep Backus and take Curry for 10 million, we don't render 5 million dead. That means 5 million more for free agency. We could sign a quality FA guard for 5 million/year and draft OG at #33. This will solidify the line more than LT alone. Aaron Curry plus a 5 million dollar free agent lineman is better than Andre Smith any day of the week.

Aaron Curry is a better deal at 10 million than Andre Smith/ Michael Oher at an effective cost of 15 million.

-ILMP

Don't get me wrong--I'm not sold on LT as the best #1 pick this year and I would love to draft defense--but what this analysis ignores is that if we don't cut Backus, then we end up paying him a ridiculously high salary over the next year (or two or three). Sometimes, the money is better off dead. If Backus were even an average LT then the choice would be a little cloudier but I'd put Backus in the bottom 25% of starting LTs in the league. He's not worth the salary he's going to get and I wouldn't quibble with the Lions' brass for letting him go and absorbing the dead money.

January 21st, 2009, 1:50 am
National Champion

How much money does TO get in dallas? I only ask that here because they are talking about cutting him as well. I say just cut his rectum and draft your franchise LT.

January 21st, 2009, 7:21 am
Veteran General Manager

How much money does TO get in dallas? I only ask that here because they are talking about cutting him as well. I say just cut his rectum and draft your franchise LT.

There will be 1 of the 5 best OT's available at #20. Curry/ Malauga(sp?) won't be.

January 21st, 2009, 9:56 am
Team MVP

faulkn22 wrote:

There will be 1 of the 5 best OT's available at #20. Curry/ Malauga(sp?) won't be.

Hes right. Im all for drafting a LT, but...we desperately need a MLB. I really want Maualuga, but if Curry can play MLB then maybe him too.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 21st, 2009, 3:39 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

faulkn22 wrote:

We can get one of the 5 best of any position at #20.

January 21st, 2009, 5:24 pm
Walk On

We can get one of the 5 best of any position at #20.

True, but the top 5 LT are all considered the cream of the crop. The 5th best linebacker is but a shadow of Curry, Maualuga, or Laurinitis. Opinion of course. The fifth best QB is a project (maybe the first is too).

At LT, 5 is close to the quality of 1. Any other position- not so much.

-ILMP

January 21st, 2009, 10:41 pm
NFL Veteran

So I've spent the past few hours digging up what I can on Aaron Curry trying to understand all the man love for him. And I'm sorry to say, I just don't see it. And I'm a guy who easily falls in love with line backers. I was in the Derrick Johnson or bust camp when we drafted Mike Williams. That same year I was high on Sean Merrimen as well. And I was equally high on Patrick Willis as I was on Calvin Johnson. Jerod Mayo was a crazy tackling machine. Here's my thoughts on Aaron Curry.

Quote:
Decent tackler. Can lay the big hit on occasion. Very athletic carrying his 247 pounds. Moves like he's 30 pounds lighter. Good at navigating through the blocks and has a pretty good nose for the ball. One of the best college coverage linebackers I've seen since Derrick Johnson.

Here's the reason I can't fall in love with him at no. 1 though. He doesn't dominate like the aforementioned linebackers did when they came out. Also while he's probably the best college linebacker in coverage, he isn't the best at other facets of the linebacker skill set. Rey Maualuga carries a much more fierce intensity to the game with his aggression and blows up blocks and sheds them better. Brian Cushing is the most sound tackler of this group with his excellent wrap up technique (Maualuga is the worst). Laurinaitis is... well, he sucked pretty bad this year.

But then you compare Aaron Curry to Patrick Willis and it's not even close. Now there's a guy you could appropriately call a beast. And then Derrick Johnson who destroyed ball carriers forcing fumbles like no tommorrow. And then Jerod Mayo racking up 140 tackles! It's like out of nowhere scouts decided to name Aaron Curry a top 5 player and I honestly can't figure out why. Now if we are going to make him the no. 1 pick shouldn't he be worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as these other linebackers?

If he's going to be the top pick shouldn't my thoughts on him read like this?

Quote:
Excellent tackler. Tacks perfect angles low and displays text book wrap up technique Can lay the big hit on occasion. Very athletic carrying his 247 pounds. Moves like he's 30 pounds lighter. Exceptional at navigating through the blocks and has a blood hounds nose for the ball. One of the best college coverage linebackers I've seen since Derrick Johnson.

But I just can't say that about him. So I'm not about to join this Aaron Curry or Bust bandwagon.

That's the crazy thing about this draft. They say there's great depth, but there's no cream of the crop, can't miss, once in a lifetime players in this draft. In all honestly, I like Aaron Curry. He's a great linebacker. But I don't like him any more than I like Brian Orakpo. And I don't like Aaron Curry or Brian Orakpo more than I like BJ Raji, and I don't like any of those guys significantly more than I like Malcolm Jenkins. And then the Left Tackle Class just makes it hazier because these LT's are on the same level as the past three top tackles taken, Jake Long, Joe Thomas and D'Brickashaw Ferguson IMO. In my history here at Lionbacker, I've never been more undecided and confused at how to approach the top of the draft and I usually always am pretty clear cut on my boards.

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9037
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~don/HBDL.html

I mean it's still really early, so there's plenty time for the way the prospects will shake out. But's it's also way too early to annoint Aaron Curry the Lions savior. He's a great player, but, he is not, in my opinion, clear cut, a head above the rest.

January 22nd, 2009, 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I mean it's still really early, so there's plenty time for the way the prospects will shake out. But's it's also way too early to annoint Aaron Curry the Lions savior. He's a great player, but, he is not, in my opinion, clear cut, a head above the rest.

Excellent post blue.

It is indeed a crappy year to have the first pick. I have a hard time seeing us go LT because we have all that money tied up in Backus. O-line overall seem to be pretty deep this year aswell. Watching Sanchez and Stafford on gamefilm makes me nervous as a Lionsfan. They don't look lite franchise QBs to me. I hope that a defensive player separates himself from the pack and really emerges as the top defensive player cause that's the side of the ball where we really need help. Doesn't really matter which position, there are holes everywhere on this defense.

January 22nd, 2009, 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next