View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Speculate on who to take. 
Heisman Winner

Offense actually hasn't been that bad this year, especially under Dan. Have had 200 yards passing in all but 1 game he's started, and Smith has run very well against even good defenses since he has gotten the starting job. (only struggled against Tennessee)

Defense has played good one game, and even that game was bad defense just really performed well in short fields. Getting a QB will probably just kill his career in the first year with this team. Stafford won't be any different than Alex Smith and Jamarcus Russell. (How they working out?)

I guess I'm just the kind of person that would rather see the Lions get what they need, instead of upgrading what they already have had solid play out of. If you just upgrade what you have and don't get what you need then you'll never get out of the hole. Dan O might not be the franchise QB, but he hasn't done anything to prove he isn't. Give him a season and if he isn't the man then obviously in 2010 QB will be a NEED instead of just getting an upgrade. Upgrades are good but it's not when you have 20 other NEEDS.

December 19th, 2008, 2:30 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Right now the highest rated player in the draft is Andre Smith the LT from Alabama he just hasn't declared yet.

One thing I can guarantee is the Lions WILL NOT draft a LB #1 overall.

Michael Johnson sounds like a decent pick with the Dallas pick not #1 overall. That was a joke right?

If you had to take a QB I would go with Stafford over Bradford.

December 19th, 2008, 10:05 am
Right now the highest rated player in the draft is Andre Smith the LT from Alabama he just hasn't declared yet.

One thing I can guarantee is the Lions WILL NOT draft a LB #1 overall.

Michael Johnson sounds like a decent pick with the Dallas pick not #1 overall. That was a joke right?

If you had to take a QB I would go with Stafford over Bradford.

If I had to take a QB I would take Hunter Cantwell in the 3rd or 4th round....

Other than that, I agree with your post 100%.

December 19th, 2008, 1:58 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

hamma77 wrote:
Stafford would be a great pick, then next year we can have this same exact talk on who to take first overall! :lol:

We are not one player away from winning games. We need the guy who will be the best for the team in the long run becuase we are not going to turn this around in a year. Stafford is a franchise QB and could lead this team to the promise land one day. S if you want to the lions to draft a LT so we maybe win one extra game thats fine. I want our team to draft a QB who can atleast allow us to think about making a SB run in a couple years.

Dolphins went from 1-15 to a possible playoff team this year. Jets went from 1-15 to 9-7 in the 90s. 12-4 and the AFC title game the next year.Panthers went from 1-15 to the Super Bowl in 2 years. We draft for 2009. You cant possibly draft for 4 years from now given thats the length of most players careers. Can Matt Stafford come in Day 1 and legitimately beat out Orlovsky and Stanton and start on 2009? Whos to say? The Browns and Texans screwed up by not drafting for the upcoming season and taking the "Franchise QB of the future". The Lions cannot afford to draft a player to sit on the bench. Those teams automatically had the worst offensive lines and David Carr and Tim Couch were set up to fail. The Lions have to draft a player that can contribute to the cause and immediately. The Lions have many players that are starting that should not be starting in the NFL. You know who they are. The Lions can turn this around quickly, it just depends on who the GM is.

December 19th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Heisman Winner

Any one remember when we were 6-2 last year? What was the reason why? Oh yeah, We led the league in takeaways and the defense was intercepting and forcing all kinds of fumbles. What happened in one year? We need to get back to that kind of defense and then the wins will roll in like they were last year before the 2nd half.

December 19th, 2008, 5:31 pm
hamma77 wrote:
Stafford would be a great pick, then next year we can have this same exact talk on who to take first overall! :lol:

We are not one player away from winning games. We need the guy who will be the best for the team in the long run becuase we are not going to turn this around in a year. Stafford is a franchise QB and could lead this team to the promise land one day. S if you want to the lions to draft a LT so we maybe win one extra game thats fine. I want our team to draft a QB who can atleast allow us to think about making a SB run in a couple years.

You're kidding right?

Take an LT and "maybe" win one extra game? The Dolphins turned their franchise around by signing Porter and drafting Jake Long. The Browns looked MUCH IMPROVED after drafting Joe Thomas, so much so that people on here were crying about drafting CJ.

Taking an LT doesn't just help you "maybe win" one more game(s). It makes your entire team better and gives your Qb a chance to succeed. We have yet to see what Dan O has to offer, or even Stanton for that matter, because our OL sucks. You want to replace a piece of a puzzle that you haven't even seen yet...

December 19th, 2008, 5:33 pm
Great post.

Any one remember when we were 6-2 last year? What was the reason why? Oh yeah, We led the league in takeaways and the defense was intercepting and forcing all kinds of fumbles. What happened in one year? We need to get back to that kind of defense and then the wins will roll in like they were last year before the 2nd half.

You can't rely on takeovers. They're nice, and some teams generally average more takeovers than others (Bears/Ravens), but those stats are spotty at best. Controlling yards, field position, and sacks, IMO is what you want out of your defense.

Our defense didn't play great when we were 6-2, we just got lucky.

December 19th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Stallion wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

You're kidding right?

Take an LT and "maybe" win one extra game? The Dolphins turned their franchise around by signing Porter and drafting Jake Long. The Browns looked MUCH IMPROVED after drafting Joe Thomas, so much so that people on here were crying about drafting CJ.

Taking an LT doesn't just help you "maybe win" one more game(s). It makes your entire team better and gives your Qb a chance to succeed. We have yet to see what Dan O has to offer, or even Stanton for that matter, because our OL sucks. You want to replace a piece of a puzzle that you haven't even seen yet...

Exactly, Orlovsky is 25, proving himself and has an 88 QB rating in the games hes started. He hasnt even had a legitimate QB competition since he got here. Hes doing this with the worst offensive line in football. The Lions still have to replace Dre Bly and Shaun Rogers since their replacements (Fisher and Darby) arent NFL caliber players really. I would not take a QB before Round 7.

December 19th, 2008, 5:45 pm
Given the number of picks we have in the first 3 rounds, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Gram Harrel or Hunter Cantwell if they're available in the 4th round. I'd take either of those guys over Stanton in a heartbeat! Orlovsky, Culpepp or Kitna, and rookie is ok with me, AS LONG AS WE IMPROVE THE TEAM AROUND THEM.

That said, I do think it is important to help out our OL THIS DRAFT. The draft defense first people, IMO, are short-sighted. Our offense is only a couple of positions away from being complete, our defense is AT LEAST FIVE. We can't fix our D this year no matter what we do. We could draft ALL defense and still have holes. I'd like to grab either a starting LB or a starting caliber SS/FS in the first two rounds and spend the majority of the picks we have in the first three rounds on offense. Get an OT and either a OC or a OG in Rds 1 and 2, pick up a LB or SS with the other first round pick, and go BPA from there on out.

If we do that we should have a MUCH improved offense and a better defense. And remember, our defense won't be as bad off because 1) we'll be able to score more points, and 2) if we upgrade our OL we'll be able to move the ball on the grond more, control the clock, and keep the D off of the field.

December 19th, 2008, 5:50 pm
Heisman Winner

hamma77 wrote:
Great post.

You can't rely on takeovers. They're nice, and some teams generally average more takeovers than others (Bears/Ravens), but those stats are spotty at best. Controlling yards, field position, and sacks, IMO is what you want out of your defense.

They gave up 5 points less a game (in the first 8 games) and that's including the blowouts by Washington (34) and Philly (56) The defense was alot better, gave up under 20 points more in the first 8 games then they have all year this year. Last year they had 37 sacks too btw, this year only 26 I don't see them getting 11 in 2 games. Had 17 interceptions last year to this years 4. I know you can't rely on them, but to go from 17 to 4 is crazy.

December 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
Great post.

They gave up 5 points less a game and that's including the blowouts by Washington (34) and Philly (56) The defense was alot better, gave up under 20 points more in the first 9 games then they have all year this year. Last year they had 37 sacks too btw, this year only 26 I don't see them getting 11 in 2 games. Had 17 interceptions last year to this years 4. I know you can't rely on them, but to go from 17 to 4 is crazy.

The Lions benefited from a motivated Shaun Rogers and playing a string of average to bad QBs. They beat McCown,Griese twice,Jackson,Garcia,Ramsey and Huard. They lost to Campbell,McNabb,Favre twice,Manning,Romo,Warner,Rivers and Jackson.

December 19th, 2008, 5:58 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
Great post.

They gave up 5 points less a game (in the first 8 games) and that's including the blowouts by Washington (34) and Philly (56) The defense was alot better, gave up under 20 points more in the first 8 games then they have all year this year. Last year they had 37 sacks too btw, this year only 26 I don't see them getting 11 in 2 games. Had 17 interceptions last year to this years 4. I know you can't rely on them, but to go from 17 to 4 is crazy.

Maybe we shouldn't have traded our only pro bowler, eigh? :idea:

December 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm
Heisman Winner

They've played bad QB's this year and haven't won any.

December 19th, 2008, 6:00 pm

They've played bad QB's this year and haven't won any.

Replaced Rogers for Darby, Bryant for Kelly, Kennedy for Smith,Bailey for Nece.

December 19th, 2008, 6:01 pm
Heisman Winner

Yeah that is why I think they should draft all defense lol.

They can't fix all the holes but they can atleast make most of them better. Won't be hard to do that with the defense we have.

December 19th, 2008, 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next