View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 My pre-bowl thoughts 
RIP Killer

Post My pre-bowl thoughts
So, as evidenced by the past few games, we need the following:
DE
DT
MLB (I think Lenon can shift over and play SLB pretty well)
CB
SS
OG
OT
C
TE
WR

#1a
Michael Oher, LT, Ole Miss
You can't win when you have a QB who can't have time to throw the ball...or a RB who simply cannot run to the left side. Yeah, offense isn't a huge problem, but you don't pass on a franchise LT.

#1b
Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
He could play MIKE OR SAM and would be very good. However, he probably won't last this long, unless he has a poor combine.

Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky
Mr Irrelevant was starting by the season's end. Lindley is a stud in man coverage. He's been compared to Leigh Bodden, who is a terrible fit for the T2. I see this T2 bull going away and going to a man coverage D.

Maybe Brandon Graham here at DE?

#3a
Kam Chancellor*, FS/SS, Virginia Tech
Probably won't last this long, but Chancellor is a beast. He's one of the most athletic players in the draft, who can play both safety positions. How high he's picked will be based on his combine numbers, after a lackluster JR year.

#3b
Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
Worst run defense in the league...because we get mowed over at the point of attack. Darby is likely on his way out. Shaun Cody has shown some nice flashes, but isn't consistent enough. Scott is a good value and a good fit.

Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston
10.5 sacks can't be ignored, even playing in a weak conference.

Travis Bright, OG, BYU
We neglect this position every year. OG is one of those positions where the third and fourth rounders are the best value picks. Coming off a broken leg a year ago, but a great pass blocker. I see him going in the late third, early fourth round though. I think the combine will spring him up.

#6a
Joey Hudson, LB, Miami of Ohio
Could play the middle in the C2. Very good in coverage, though slightly undersized. Similar to Dizon, but much better in coverage.

#6b
Keegan Herring, RB, Arizona State
Scat back type of player who runs a sub-4.4 Hammy injuries really shut him down this year, but he's got great speed.

Probably get a comp pick, but I can't imagine more than a 6th.

Last edited by conversion02 on December 21st, 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

December 21st, 2008, 6:55 pm
QB Coach

Pretty well thought out and I agree with the positions if not the players. I like Oher at the top of the draft and I am hoping they target a LB with 1b. I also want a corner at the top of the second but I think Lindley might go in the first so the guy I'm looking for is Macho Harris. Solid corner and a good return man.

We only have 8 picks as of right now. We traded our 4th to Dallas in the last draft. We have two 1st, 2nd, two 3rd, 5th, and two 6th.

December 21st, 2008, 7:18 pm
RIP Killer

Ahh, that's right, I forgot about our 4th.

December 21st, 2008, 7:27 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: My pre-bowl thoughts
conversion02 wrote:
So, as evidenced by the past few games, we need the following:
DE
DT
MLB (I think Lenon can shift over and play SLB pretty well)
CB
SS
OG
OT
C
TE
WR

#1a
Michael Oher, LT, Ole Miss
You can't win when you have a QB who can't have time to throw the ball...or a RB who simply cannot run to the left side. Yeah, offense isn't a huge problem, but you don't pass on a franchise LT.

#1b
Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
He could play MIKE OR SAM and would be very good. However, he probably won't last this long, unless he has a poor combine.

Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky
Mr Irrelevant was starting by the season's end. Lindley is a stud in man coverage. He's been compared to Leigh Bodden, who is a terrible fit for the T2. I see this T2 bull going away and going to a man coverage D.

Maybe Brandon Graham here at DE?

#3a
Kam Chancellor*, FS/SS, Virginia Tech
Probably won't last this long, but Chancellor is a beast. He's one of the most athletic players in the draft, who can play both safety positions. How high he's picked will be based on his combine numbers, after a lackluster JR year.

#3b
Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
Worst run defense in the league...because we get mowed over at the point of attack. Darby is likely on his way out. Shaun Cody has shown some nice flashes, but isn't consistent enough. Scott is a good value and a good fit.

Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston
10.5 sacks can't be ignored, even playing in a weak conference.

Travis Bright, OG, BYU
We neglect this position every year. OG is one of those positions where the third and fourth rounders are the best value picks. Coming off a broken leg a year ago, but a great pass blocker. I see him going in the late third, early fourth round though. I think the combine will spring him up.

#6a
Joey Hudson, LB, Miami of Ohio
Could play the middle in the C2. Very good in coverage, though slightly undersized. Similar to Dizon, but much better in coverage.

#6b
Keegan Herring, RB, Arizona State
Scat back type of player who runs a sub-4.4 Hammy injuries really shut him down this year, but he's got great speed.

Probably get a comp pick, but I can't imagine more than a 6th.

I could live with a draft like that. It gets value with pick 1a and addresses that sieve we call a defense with the next 4 picks.

I'm not unreasonable. I only have a problem with people that want to use 3 of our first 5 picks on offense.

December 21st, 2008, 10:45 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Allot of the picks we make depend on front office, coaching, and free agency.

December 22nd, 2008, 1:31 am
Stats Boy

I like your thoughts, especially with Michael Oher at the top. I think that they will have to go defense with the second first round pick, but I can't help but think that the Lions would be better off with Terrence Cody, DT Alabama. A run-stuffing DT would free up our undersized linebackers to make a few plays. I agree that CB is a need, but I think DT is a bigger need. I also think that building in the trenches should be the Lions first priority. Thoughts? If Cody is available at this spot, I think that the Lions would have to consider him.

December 22nd, 2008, 2:59 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

December 22nd, 2008, 3:15 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

1A: QB UGA Matt Stafford
- This team needs hope. If we don't land Cassel (Who I think you have to seriously take a look at at this point. He's been very good) we need a QB. QBs can take time to develop, getting one ASAP is important. When you have a player as dominant as CJ is, you've got to find a way to take advantage of him. Stafford has a Cannon, is very accurate, is smart always getting his team in the right play, has good pocket awareness and is a leader.

1B: MLB UF Brandon Spikes
- I believe you build a defense from the inside out. If your strong at DT, MLB and Safety you'll likely have a strong overall defense. Spikes is talented, aggressive, plays with fire and is a play maker.

2: DT BC BJ Raji
- Sticking with the building inside - out theme on defense, Raji brings dominant run stopping ability which is something this defense desperately needs. He'll command blockers to clear the way for Spikes and Sims to get the ball and make plays.

3a: OC CAL Alex Mack
- I watched the Giants and Panthers game last night and the interior line play was brilliant. Instead of the OC getting pushed back into the RB they actually stood their ground at least. The combo blocks on the DTs were awesome, driving the NT into the LBs. You'll never see this with Raiola. Mack's stock has plummeted as of late and if he's still there, I'd be ecstatic to grab him here. Even if we put him at OG I'd be happy. I'd look at Bama's Caldwell here too for the same reason.

3b: CB Jack. St Dominique Johnson
- I brought this guy up previously and he hasn't disappointed. He could be the next small school CB to have some very good success in the NFL.

5: DE TEN Robert Ayers
- This guy is moving up the boards so I doubt he'll be here, but I wanted to bring him up. His production hasn't been great at TEN, but I've seen this guy play 4-5 times this year and he shows up everywhere. He's got good size and will help with the defensive rotation nicely.

6a: OG BYU Travis Bright
- What Convo said.

6b: TE Ball St. Darius Hill
- He was all over the place last year as a sleeper TE, but thus far this year he has fallen off the map. His numbers have dropped off, but defenses targeted him this year and he still managed first team all MAC for what that's worth. Think of Travis Beckum from WISC. We'll have a guy that can challenge safeties to help CJ and help out our young QB...

I want a different LT, but I just didn't see one with value where we are projected to pick outside of the first pick. Besides with a rookie QB, Backus still at LT, new HC etc. we'll likely be in position to take one of the top ones next year. Preferably though, my #1 FA would be Jordan Gross. I'd go after him with everything I have to solidify the left side of the offensive line.

December 22nd, 2008, 5:51 pm
Here's my take...

- This team needs hope. If we don't land Cassel (Who I think you have to seriously take a look at at this point. He's been very good) we need a QB. QBs can take time to develop, getting one ASAP is important. When you have a player as dominant as CJ is, you've got to find a way to take advantage of him. Stafford has a Cannon, is very accurate, is smart always getting his team in the right play, has good pocket awareness and is a leader.

- I believe you build a defense from the inside out. If your strong at DT, MLB and Safety you'll likely have a strong overall defense. Spikes is talented, aggressive, plays with fire and is a play maker.

- Sticking with the building inside - out theme on defense, Raji brings dominant run stopping ability which is something this defense desperately needs. He'll command blockers to clear the way for Spikes and Sims to get the ball and make plays.

- I watched the Giants and Panthers game last night and the interior line play was brilliant. Instead of the OC getting pushed back into the RB they actually stood their ground at least. The combo blocks on the DTs were awesome, driving the NT into the LBs. You'll never see this with Raiola. Mack's stock has plummeted as of late and if he's still there, I'd be ecstatic to grab him here. Even if we put him at OG I'd be happy. I'd look at Bama's Caldwell here too for the same reason.

- I brought this guy up previously and he hasn't disappointed. He could be the next small school CB to have some very good success in the NFL.

- This guy is moving up the boards so I doubt he'll be here, but I wanted to bring him up. His production hasn't been great at TEN, but I've seen this guy play 4-5 times this year and he shows up everywhere. He's got good size and will help with the defensive rotation nicely.

- What Convo said.

- He was all over the place last year as a sleeper TE, but thus far this year he has fallen off the map. His numbers have dropped off, but defenses targeted him this year and he still managed first team all MAC for what that's worth. Think of Travis Beckum from WISC. We'll have a guy that can challenge safeties to help CJ and help out our young QB...

I want a different LT, but I just didn't see one with value where we are projected to pick outside of the first pick. Besides with a rookie QB, Backus still at LT, new HC etc. we'll likely be in position to take one of the top ones next year. Preferably though, my #1 FA would be Jordan Gross. I'd go after him with everything I have to solidify the left side of the offensive line.

Alex Mack isn't going to be there in the 3rd round, and Raji may not be there in the 2nd. I would advocate taking Mack in the 2nd round, and Terrence Taylor (DT U of M) in the 3rd round.

December 22nd, 2008, 8:28 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Murtyle wrote:
Here's my take...

- What Convo said.

Alex Mack isn't going to be there in the 3rd round, and Raji may not be there in the 2nd. I would advocate taking Mack in the 2nd round, and Terrence Taylor (DT U of M) in the 3rd round.

Your likely right... I just went off of some projections I found online... You never know though... Players fall every year that no one thinks will... Anyway that is why I put Caldwell's name there as well...

December 22nd, 2008, 10:37 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I just saw yesterday that McShay had Mack going early in the 3rd as well... I think there is going to be a good center at the top of the 3rd rd...

December 27th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Is there any projected-to-be-there-in-the-early-third-round quality guards?

As bad as Raiola is, Peterman is 100x worse and Ed is old as dirt. I'd advocate keeping Raiola for another year and replacing our RG.

December 28th, 2008, 3:11 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

As bad as Raiola is, Peterman is 100x worse and Ed is old as dirt. I'd advocate keeping Raiola for another year and replacing our RG.

I truthfully believe that Dominic Raiola is the worst starter on the Detroit Lions. There isnt a thing he does on the field that is a positive. He will be 31 years old at that. Eric Beverly was a considerably better C and we used to be able to have runs up the middle. Whens the last time you seen the Lions run the ball up the middle for a decent gain? Jeff Backus got power rushed by Brady Poppinga today, he goes without saying as well. The Lions line performed better with McCulloum at C. Center is a priority in this draft.

December 28th, 2008, 8:55 pm
Walk On

Blueskies wrote:

I truthfully believe that Dominic Raiola is the worst starter on the Detroit Lions. There isnt a thing he does on the field that is a positive. He will be 31 years old at that. Eric Beverly was a considerably better C and we used to be able to have runs up the middle. Whens the last time you seen the Lions run the ball up the middle for a decent gain? Jeff Backus got power rushed by Brady Poppinga today, he goes without saying as well. The Lions line performed better with McCulloum at C. Center is a priority in this draft.

Couldnt agree more. Besides Gosder everyone is expendable on our o-line in my eyes. I love Dom's fire but he just gets mucled around way to much...

December 28th, 2008, 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]