View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 May have changed my mind on draft 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Matt Stafford looks terrible thus far. It is like hes realizing all of my fears about him condensed into one half. People have to look greatly at the probability that there are no franchise quarterbacks in this draft.

January 1st, 2009, 3:30 pm
QB Coach

Matt Stafford looks terrible thus far. It is like hes realizing all of my fears about him condensed into one half. People have to look greatly at the probability that there are no franchise quarterbacks in this draft.

I don't have any real evidence for this opinion, but from what I've heard about him, I get the feeling he's kind of luck Jay Cutler. Very strong arm, lots of potential, but doesn't quite have the it factor that makes the potential in production. I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I get from this guy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 1st, 2009, 4:14 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

dh86 wrote:

I don't have any real evidence for this opinion, but from what I've heard about him, I get the feeling he's kind of luck Jay Cutler. Very strong arm, lots of potential, but doesn't quite have the it factor that makes the potential in production. I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I get from this guy.

He looked exactly like Jamarcus Russell today. Same kind of offense, same decision making, similar arm strength.

January 1st, 2009, 8:41 pm
Team MVP

Thats why ill throw up if we take him. A QB wont keep the other team from scoring 30 points. All a quarterback will do is prove once again how bad our O-line is by getting sacked a hundred times and forcing interceptions. Just a bad idea to take a quarterback. NOT until we fix this O-line and defense should we worry about a quarterback. Tennessee is doing it with Kollins, Miami w/Pennington, Minnesota with Frerotte...none are real spectacular.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 2nd, 2009, 8:06 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Stafford can make NFL throws, but if he goes #1, it'll be a David Carr type situation; that did not work.

I heard today that Jason Garrett is the leading man for the Lions job and in that case Sam Bradford would be the pick at #1. I would vomit seeing that kid in Honolulu Blue. Remember he's just a redshirt sophomore. If he's only played 2 years with an NFL type line in front of him and a shotgun offense he'll be a long way from being good. I don't know if hiring a guy like Garrett neccesarily means he'll go QB, but it seems very plausible.

January 8th, 2009, 8:00 pm
QB Coach

Stafford can make NFL throws, but if he goes #1, it'll be a David Carr type situation; that did not work.

I heard today that Jason Garrett is the leading man for the Lions job and in that case Sam Bradford would be the pick at #1. I would vomit seeing that kid in Honolulu Blue. Remember he's just a redshirt sophomore. If he's only played 2 years with an NFL type line in front of him and a shotgun offense he'll be a long way from being good. I don't know if hiring a guy like Garrett neccesarily means he'll go QB, but it seems very plausible.

Where did you hear that Garrett is the leading man for the job? The last I heard he withdrew his name from consideration.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 8th, 2009, 8:41 pm
Walk On

^That's just the media creating fiction. Garrett has already interviewed with us. No idea how it went though.

I may have changed my mind on this draft too....

What I wanted: Trade top pick for mid-first and second round pick. Take OG Duke Robinson(Alabama) with pick 1a and OG Herman Johnson(LSU 6'7'', 350+) with 2a or 2b. All other picks for defense: 1b, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7(compensatory). 9 picks in total? Revamps the D and fills the biggest holes on offense. LT- Backus, G- Robinson, C- Raiola, G- Johnson, RT- Cherilus.

I still like this draft, but we may not be able to trade so...

NOW I like:

1a- Bradford. Why? I watched the Nat'l Championship and he changed my mind. His accuracy on a large variety of throws was very impressive. Throws toward the sideline put on the outside shoulder away from the defender. Perfect spiral deep ball outside of reach of defender and on receiver's hands (dropped). Passes hitting receivers in stride. He has a sort of tactical precision, that is unequaled in college football (and on many pro teams including the Lions). His numbers:
Quote:
S. Bradford 26/41 for 257 yards. 63.4% completions. 6.3 yds/att. 2 TDs. 2 INTs

The first INT was a good defensive play which resulted in a deflection. The actual pick was the result of an almost 'immaculate reception' type of juggling act. The second one was a good pass on the receiver's hands. The receiver juggled the ball and essentially handed it to the DB. Either of those picks would most often fall as incompletions. They weren't blatant mistakes.

His accuracy is not a fluke. You can't fake that. It is something that will absolutely translate to the NFL. OU had no trouble moving the ball vs a very good Gators defense. They outplayed Florida for most of the game. Goal line stands saved Florida.

So, I have: 1a- Bradford, 2- Best OG available.

Picks 1b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7 all for D. Plus hopefully another O-line player from FA and perhaps another D player or two as well.

This addresses our 3 biggest needs/questions. O-line, QB, anything defense.

Honest opinions? What am I missing with this draft plan?

-ILMP

January 9th, 2009, 3:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

Garrett pulled his name from consideration about 4 days ago from the Lions job.

January 9th, 2009, 3:40 am
NFL Veteran

Wayne Fontes wrote:

Garrett pulled his name from consideration about 4 days ago from the Lions job.

That's old news. On Tuesday they said he apparently did interview on Monday. At least Mayhew's keeping his word about being tight-lipped with the press. I don't know how much fun that'll be for us though.

January 9th, 2009, 4:32 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

^That's just the media creating fiction. Garrett has already interviewed with us. No idea how it went though.

I may have changed my mind on this draft too....

What I wanted: Trade top pick for mid-first and second round pick. Take OG Duke Robinson(Alabama) with pick 1a and OG Herman Johnson(LSU 6'7'', 350+) with 2a or 2b. All other picks for defense: 1b, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7(compensatory). 9 picks in total? Revamps the D and fills the biggest holes on offense. LT- Backus, G- Robinson, C- Raiola, G- Johnson, RT- Cherilus.

I still like this draft, but we may not be able to trade so...

NOW I like:

1a- Bradford. Why? I watched the Nat'l Championship and he changed my mind. His accuracy on a large variety of throws was very impressive. Throws toward the sideline put on the outside shoulder away from the defender. Perfect spiral deep ball outside of reach of defender and on receiver's hands (dropped). Passes hitting receivers in stride. He has a sort of tactical precision, that is unequaled in college football (and on many pro teams including the Lions). His numbers:
Quote:
S. Bradford 26/41 for 257 yards. 63.4% completions. 6.3 yds/att. 2 TDs. 2 INTs

The first INT was a good defensive play which resulted in a deflection. The actual pick was the result of an almost 'immaculate reception' type of juggling act. The second one was a good pass on the receiver's hands. The receiver juggled the ball and essentially handed it to the DB. Either of those picks would most often fall as incompletions. They weren't blatant mistakes.

His accuracy is not a fluke. You can't fake that. It is something that will absolutely translate to the NFL. OU had no trouble moving the ball vs a very good Gators defense. They outplayed Florida for most of the game. Goal line stands saved Florida.

So, I have: 1a- Bradford, 2- Best OG available.

Picks 1b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7 all for D. Plus hopefully another O-line player from FA and perhaps another D player or two as well.

This addresses our 3 biggest needs/questions. O-line, QB, anything defense.

Honest opinions? What am I missing with this draft plan?

-ILMP

I already concurred on Bradford in another thread.

But I do want to talk about Tebow. Dude will not make it in the NFL unless he changes positions. His throwing motion reminds me of a trebuchet, slowing flinging balls, like a trebuchet launching stones at a castle. He relies on his running ability too much. And his running wouldn't translate to the NFL well. Speed guys like Vick and Vince Young can at least be elusive, but Tebow is too slow. Bigger faster D-Linemen will eat him up. It pisses me off watching Florida, because they've won the National Championship with not a good "quarterback" but a good "College Quarterback." If that makes sense. I feel gipped. Like this is the biggest stage of college FB, and the quarterback sucks. Sigh.

End rant.

January 9th, 2009, 4:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Blue, it's college football not NFL. If you view college football as the minor leagues of the NFL then maybe I can see why you feel that way, but college ball is different, which is great. It requires different skills and emotion can win you the game. I love college ball as much as the NFL, it is great how different they are. Tebow may not be the greatest NFL prospect we've ever seen, but she sure is a fantastic college QB second to who? If I were him I'd stay in for my senior year and hope I improve my passing. Work on it all offseason. He'll have a place in the NFL if a team can find a spot, but Tebow IS what makes college great. A great person can lead his team to the biggest show and win because of his talent.

January 9th, 2009, 12:35 pm
QB Coach

Blue, it's college football not NFL. If you view college football as the minor leagues of the NFL then maybe I can see why you feel that way, but college ball is different, which is great. It requires different skills and emotion can win you the game. I love college ball as much as the NFL, it is great how different they are. Tebow may not be the greatest NFL prospect we've ever seen, but she sure is a fantastic college QB second to who? If I were him I'd stay in for my senior year and hope I improve my passing. Work on it all offseason. He'll have a place in the NFL if a team can find a spot, but Tebow IS what makes college great. A great person can lead his team to the biggest show and win because of his talent.

I agree 100%. I love Tebow as a college QB. He is exactly what you look for. He's not flashy, doesn't have the "prototypical" motion or numbers. But when it counts is there anyone else you want with the ball in their hands? Tebow gets it done, plain and simple. I personally don't care if he ever plays a down in the NFL. I hope he comes back for his senior season so we get to watch him play another year of college fb.

January 9th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4