View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:24 am



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Your Lions Draft Board 
Author Message
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: February 12th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Posts: 1861
Location: Des Moines, IA
Post 
My top 5 right now in order would be:
1. Oher
2. Bradford
3. Smith
4. Stafford
5. Curry (Although I wouldn't use #1 overall pick on him)

_________________
Image


December 23rd, 2008, 10:46 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
OK, I started with:

LT Andre Smith
LT Michael Oher
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

and I'm updating to:

LT Michael Oher
DE Brian Orakpo
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

Andre Smith's work ethic makes me nervous. He already has a history of weight problems and at this point in his life he should be highly motivated to maintain his weight. If he can't control his weight now, what's going to happen when he gets that signing bonus check? We've seen this story before and it never ends well.

I bumped Orakpo up in spite of the fact that he has some injury problems and in spite of the fact that he probably projects as a 3-4 OLB. No worries about work ethic here.

Thought I'd also bump the thread since some folks included players like Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and George Selvie who have since announced they will return for another year of school. Any other updates?


January 19th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post 
This was my first try on 12/23: I think right now my top five would be:

1. Michael Oher
2. Andre Smith
3. Sam Bradford
4. Malcolm Jenkins
5. Matt Stafford

I want to replace Stafford but I don't see anyone else I'd put top 5 right now.



Now:

1. Oher
2. Curry
3. Orakpo
4. Jenkins
5. Stafford

Again, I don't like having to include Stafford, but I don't know who else to put in the top 5. Orakpo scares me with his injury history but he is still a freak. Curry and Jenkins are also studs at positions we need a ton of help. And I'm sure by now everyone knows where I stand on Oher.


January 19th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: December 27th, 2006, 4:53 pm
Posts: 693
Post 
1.Smith
2.Curry
3.Oher
4.Jenkins
5.Moreno


January 19th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: January 7th, 2009, 1:53 am
Posts: 83
Post 
My Top Targets of the top of my head

QB
Matt Stafford
Graham Harrel
Cullen Harper

OG
Alex Mack(C)
Trevor Canfield
Tyrone Green
Jonathon Luigs(C)

CB
MAlcom Jenkins
Vontae Davis
Alphonso Smith
Joe Burnett

S
Kam Chancellor
Patrick Chung
Nate?? Griffin ss OU
Otis Wiley

LB
Rey Mualuaga
James Laurinaitis
Aaron Curry
Zack Follet
Aean Weatherspoon

Give me any combination of 7 of these guys after Stafford on Draft Day and i will be very happy on draft day! :D


January 19th, 2009, 3:24 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: January 1st, 2008, 8:03 pm
Posts: 1213
Post 
Dint want to start a new thread, but this looks like a good place to post this. Also towards the middle parcells says Schawrtz is a good coach, that means we michgt have done something right parcells just dosent throw compliments out just to hear himself talk.


NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA AT THE SENIOR BOWL
USC LB Rey Maualuga would welcome Lions challenge
NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • January 19, 2009

Print this page E-mail this article Share this article: Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up!
MOBILE, Ala. — Even for a confident guy like Southern Cal linebacker Rey Maualuga, it’s tough to go through the ritual facing NFL prospects at scouting events like the Senior Bowl.


This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.
When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.


“I was nervous,” Maualuga said. “I was peeing myself.”


Maualuga was kidding. But a prospect really did that once at the NFL scouting combine.


“It’s nerve-wracking just to be there, seeing the guys you see on TV and in magazines and all that,” Maualuga said. “Now you get to see them. It’s overwhelming for me.”


Lions fans have eyes for Maualuga (who was 6-1, 254, by the way). It remains to be seen whether the Lions will, too, as they try to repair one of the worst defenses in NFL history.


What would it be like to go to the Lions?


“I know one person can’t change a franchise or change the way they play,” Maualuga said. “But to go there and change some things on defense would be a big deal. It’s something I can help them with, to bring an intensity to a defense.”


Could Maualuga be the No. 1 pick?


“No,” Maualuga said. “It’s all about getting recognized and the opportunity to be out here. Just got to maximize it. Just came out here to give it the best I got, compete my talent against the best players in the country. So hopefully, I get noticed this week. That’s all I can control.”

Cowboys want Roy Williams to work
Dallas owner Jerry Jones doesn’t seem to regret sending first- and third-round picks to the Lions as part of a package for wide receiver Roy Williams — and signing Williams to a big contract extension — even though Williams caught only 19 passes in 10 games for him.


“We are very pleased to have Roy Williams,” Jones said. “We saw an opportunity to get a player that can be our No. 1 receiver. … We gave up the one and the three, which I thought was good for Detroit. …


“We weren’t able to really utilize Roy with the success that we hoped to as the season went along, but that’s coming. As I look to the future, Roy will be our X receiver as I look down the road. He’s at that stage in his career.”


Sounds like Jones wants Williams to earn it, though.


“He’s got a lot of work to do this off-season — and he's going to do it, and will do it — but a lot of work regarding strength and conditioning,” Jones said. “That’ll help him stay on the field.”

Big Tuna likes Lions’ catch

Miami executive Bill Parcells declined to do an interview, but he made it clear he liked the Lions’ hiring of Jim Schwartz.


“I think they got a good man,” Parcells said. “I really do. I like Sam Gash, too. That’s one of my boys.”


Gash is the Lions’ running backs coach — for now, at least. Schwartz is interviewing the current staff as he decides whom to keep.

Under the knife

General manager Martin Mayhew said several Lions had routine cleanup surgeries after the season. Defensive tackle Cory Redding (knee) was one of them. Linebacker Ernie Sims was not.

No final words
Mayhew did not conduct exit interviews with players because he was so busy with the coaching search. But he has spoken with five or six and plans to speak with more now.


How much does he keep in contact with quarterback Daunte Culpepper?


“I haven’t really talked to him that much,” Mayhew said. “We text sometimes back and forth, but I haven’t spoken to him since he left here.”


January 19th, 2009, 5:56 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post 
Here's my top 5 picks for the Lions. Cut me some slack, these picks are based a slew of info and other pepoles research and mock drafts and alittle personal observation.

#1 1 Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest

#20 1a Vontae Davis CB Illinois / DJ Moore CB Vandy

#33 2 Duke Robinson OG Oaklahoma

#65 3a Micheal Hamlin S Clemson / Patrick Chung S Oregon

#82 3b Ron Brace DT Boston College


I have gone threw about 100 of my owm mock drafts, this the only one I have posted. I know It looks like a pipe dreambut this is what I would want if I was the coach but I'm not.

Hell I didn't even know what will and Mike were until last year. The more I heard about those guys, the more I thought they were bench warmers on the team, :oops:


January 28th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: November 2nd, 2008, 1:29 am
Posts: 427
Post 
Cut you some slack? That would be a stellar draft. I'd personally double up on the guards possibly at 20 and 33 (Johnson), but we'd lose Vontae. I'd move Brace up to 3a because I think other teams will snag him in the 3rd. The only answer I don't have is for 3b and later. I really don't know who is worth the picks that won't be gone earlier. It gets murky down there.

We may as well start projecting realistic draft scenarios without a tackle at the top. After Linehan/Mariucci's comments about Backus and Raiola, I do not believe the lions front office considers him a liability.

Oh, and Mike and Will are not bench warmers. Will is a solid starter. Sam and Mike would be bench warmers- on any other team... :lol:

-ILMP


January 28th, 2009, 9:45 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
the top five players on my draft board for the Lions are:

1. LB Aaron Curry
2. OT Eugene Monroe
3. CB Malcolm Jenkins
4. DE Brian Orakpo
5a. OT Michael Oher
5b. DE Everette Brown

Tough choice on the last two. Remember, this is for the Lions, not for the entire draft.

That being said, I don't know that I'd draft Curry first overall. A good MLB can be found later.

My Lions Mock

1-OT Eugene Monroe
20-CB Alphonso Smith
33-OG Duke Robinson
65-DT Ron Brace
82-LB Gerald McRath
129-TE Cornelius Ingram
161-CB Bruce Johnson
179-LB Victor Butler


January 29th, 2009, 10:25 am
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: November 20th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Posts: 102
Post 
Top 5
1- B.J. Raji
2- Brian Orakpo
3- Aaron Curry
4- Malcolm Jenkins
5- Matthew Stafford

Mock-

1-B.J. Raji DT BC 6'1 334
20- James Laurinaitis MLB Ohio State 6'3 243
33-Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5'9 190
65-Herman Johnson OG LSU 6’7 382
85-Kraig Urbik OG Wisconsin 6'5 323
129-Joe Burnett CB UCF 5'10 185
161-Myron Pryor DT Kentucky 6'1 310
181-Keegan Herring RB ASU 5-10 195
193-Brandon Swain DE West Texas 6-4 256


January 29th, 2009, 11:41 am
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
HailLordMEGATRON wrote:
Top 5
1- B.J. Raji
2- Brian Orakpo
3- Aaron Curry
4- Malcolm Jenkins
5- Matthew Stafford

Mock-

1-B.J. Raji DT BC 6'1 334
20- James Laurinaitis MLB Ohio State 6'3 243
33-Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5'9 190
65-Herman Johnson OG LSU 6’7 382
85-Kraig Urbik OG Wisconsin 6'5 323
129-Joe Burnett CB UCF 5'10 185
161-Myron Pryor DT Kentucky 6'1 310
181-Keegan Herring RB ASU 5-10 195
193-Brandon Swain DE West Texas 6-4 256


Your board looks a lot like mine. I haven't posted one here yet. Except for Stafford. Your draft is very realistic. I'd rather go in a different direction with Laurinitis. He seemed too slow, and I wouldn't take him before the middle of the 2nd round.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 29th, 2009, 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: November 20th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Posts: 102
Post 
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
HailLordMEGATRON wrote:
Top 5
1- B.J. Raji
2- Brian Orakpo
3- Aaron Curry
4- Malcolm Jenkins
5- Matthew Stafford

Mock-

1-B.J. Raji DT BC 6'1 334
20- James Laurinaitis MLB Ohio State 6'3 243
33-Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5'9 190
65-Herman Johnson OG LSU 6’7 382
85-Kraig Urbik OG Wisconsin 6'5 323
129-Joe Burnett CB UCF 5'10 185
161-Myron Pryor DT Kentucky 6'1 310
181-Keegan Herring RB ASU 5-10 195
193-Brandon Swain DE West Texas 6-4 256


Your board looks a lot like mine. I haven't posted one here yet. Except for Stafford. Your draft is very realistic. I'd rather go in a different direction with Laurinitis. He seemed too slow, and I wouldn't take him before the middle of the 2nd round.


I'd love to get Channing Crowder in free agency and not have to take a MLB in the draft, then i would like to see us take Cushing,Michael Johnson Oher(if he slides) Mack/Unger, or Brandon Pettigrew at 20.


January 29th, 2009, 5:14 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
mwill2 wrote:
OK, I started with:

LT Andre Smith
LT Michael Oher
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

and I'm updating to:

LT Michael Oher
DE Brian Orakpo
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

Andre Smith's work ethic makes me nervous. He already has a history of weight problems and at this point in his life he should be highly motivated to maintain his weight. If he can't control his weight now, what's going to happen when he gets that signing bonus check? We've seen this story before and it never ends well.

I bumped Orakpo up in spite of the fact that he has some injury problems and in spite of the fact that he probably projects as a 3-4 OLB. No worries about work ethic here.

Thought I'd also bump the thread since some folks included players like Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and George Selvie who have since announced they will return for another year of school. Any other updates?


OK, my top 5 at this point is much tougher. In no particular order:

Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Brian Orakpo


March 19th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
mwill2 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
OK, I started with:

LT Andre Smith
LT Michael Oher
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

and I'm updating to:

LT Michael Oher
DE Brian Orakpo
QB Matthew Stafford
OLB Aaron Curry
ILB Rey Maualuga

Andre Smith's work ethic makes me nervous. He already has a history of weight problems and at this point in his life he should be highly motivated to maintain his weight. If he can't control his weight now, what's going to happen when he gets that signing bonus check? We've seen this story before and it never ends well.

I bumped Orakpo up in spite of the fact that he has some injury problems and in spite of the fact that he probably projects as a 3-4 OLB. No worries about work ethic here.

Thought I'd also bump the thread since some folks included players like Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and George Selvie who have since announced they will return for another year of school. Any other updates?


OK, my top 5 at this point is much tougher. In no particular order:

Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Brian Orakpo


I think most people's (lions) draft board should have those 5 players as a top 5 by now. (I do)

Well, maybe the first four, with the 5th spot being a wild card of either Orakpo, Stafford, or whoever.

Top five prospects are set in stone IMO.

Curry
Crabtree
Raji
Monroe
Smith

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


March 19th, 2009, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.