View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What is our biggest need in the draft? 

Quaterback 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Defensive End 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Defensive Tackle 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Middle Linebacker 31%  31%  [ 13 ]
Cornerback 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Offensive Guard 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 42

Pop Warner Rookie

Post What is our biggest need in the draft?
I'm not asking who we should choose, because then we will get into the whole biggest need vs. best player available argument. I'm saying with the current players on the team regardless of whom get's drafted what is the biggest need. I know a lot of people are going to say where is Left Tackle, Jeff Backus sucks and all that. I agree Backus needs to be replaced but I think we need to address several more things more urgently than LT. My personal opinion is QB, Dan O sucks Duante looked like crap Stanton didn't look much better and Kitna is gone I’m sure. Even if Kitna isn't gone we are still in trouble with him at the helm, guy makes way too many mistakes. What does everyone else think?

December 28th, 2008, 11:20 pm
1st Round Pick

Post Re: What is our biggest need in the draft?
HailLordMEGATRON wrote:
I'm not asking who we should choose, because then we will get into the whole biggest need vs. best player available argument. I'm saying with the current players on the team regardless of whom get's drafted what is the biggest need. I know a lot of people are going to say where is Left Tackle, Jeff Backus sucks and all that. I agree Backus needs to be replaced but I think we need to address several more things more urgently than LT. My personal opinion is QB, Dan O sucks Duante looked like crap Stanton didn't look much better and Kitna is gone I’m sure. Even if Kitna isn't gone we are still in trouble with him at the helm, guy makes way too many mistakes. What does everyone else think?

We need better players on defense primarily, the offense that we have with a decent head coach and coordinator should be serviciable to score enough. The defense on the other hand is terrible I would put 10 new starters on the field next year if i could. Sims being the exception only because he is the best player on an otherwise talentless unit, i believe he tries to make plays he's not capable of and therefore ends up out of position sometimes. I voted for Defensive tackle, redding and darby are over paid scrubs. Linebacker, and CB are next I feal followed by DE and OT

December 28th, 2008, 11:59 pm
Junior Varsity

According to ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper,

the top 5 guys are, in order:

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 Prospects
Player Position School Height Weight Grade
1. Andre Smith* OT Alabama 6-4⅞ 341 98
2. Sam Bradford** QB Oklahoma 6-3½ 218 98
3. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest 6-1¾ 247 97
4. Michael Crabtree** WR Texas Tech 6-2½ 208 97
5. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 6-0 195 97
6. Aaron Maybin** DE Penn State 6-3½ 250 97
7. Matthew Stafford* QB Georgia 6-2½ 235 97

I am sure after the Combine things will shake up more, but I would target Smith but leverage him against the other top players to keep the price down.

With the second pick I would try to get best defensive impact player available. I have seen USC's Maugula and Ohio States Lauranitis falling to teens and early 20s of first round in some mock drafts. I would love to get either one.

I personally pass on a QB until we are ready. Unless we pull a Dolphins ( and they have drafted future QB's in thier 2nd round two years in a row now with niether of them going to play this year or next). I think QB play is going up in HS and College. NFL is on a cusp of young QB's coming into league. I would take Colt McCoy over any QB in this Draft. And two years from now, who knows who will be available .

December 29th, 2008, 12:02 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The draft depends on the GM, HC, OC, DC, and any FA we bring in.

December 29th, 2008, 3:13 am
National Champion

Right now, DT. (more specifically, a true NT).

December 29th, 2008, 6:17 am
Hall of Fame Player

LT is my choice but it's not included in your poll. (Moving Backus to LG).

December 29th, 2008, 6:39 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

We need a:
LT
RG
C
QB
TE

KR/PR

DT
DE
MLB
SLB
CB
SS

What's worse?
Special Teams?
CBs who regularly get burnt because they're in the wrong scheme?
The lack of a real SS who can actually make tackles in the box AND defend the pass?
Linebackers who consistently take terrible angles and can't shift through the trash in the middle?
The lack of a big physical presence in the middle who can clog up some holes?
The lack of pressure on the QB?
A Center who gets run over regularly?
Giving up sacks on a regular basis?
Converting on a rare 3rd down?
Not having a real threat at TE who can regularly get us out of trouble?

December 29th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Heisman Winner

In 2002(?) MArty Morningwheg wanted to pass on the QB to take a CB witht the #3 pick in his first draft. That tells you something abou the defensive issues the team has had. They've never fixed that hole that Marty saw in the first year of Millen's reign. Who knows if Bodden is really any good, he certainly could play in Cleveland, but he seems to be limited to certain schemes. IF the new coaches have the right scheme, he could fit in as one starter. The rest of the Lions CBs are pretty shaky.

December 29th, 2008, 11:46 pm
Walk On

I went with CB with my pick. I might get riped for saying this but I wouldnt be upset if we took Jenkins with our first pick. Other than a so/so Bodden who else do we have in the secondary?

I know theres holes everywhere and it kills me to give props to a OSU guy but I've speak for us all when I say we've made worse picks.

December 29th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Peewee Leaguer

Our friends will be drinking all the beer
GO HAWKS!

December 30th, 2008, 1:08 am
National Champion

I wouldn't be upset with any defensive pick at number one, including Jenkins. There are only two things that we could do to upset me on draft day.... Take a QB or a WR @ #1.

December 30th, 2008, 8:05 am
Team MVP

I wouldn't be upset with any defensive pick at number one, including Jenkins. There are only two things that we could do to upset me on draft day.... Take a QB or a WR @ #1.

Im with you on that.

Im a little upset already to see that OT wasnt on the list, considering thats who we SHOULD pick with our 1st pick. But like you said, any defensive pick, including Jenkins, wouldnt be bad.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 30th, 2008, 11:21 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I voted MLB. While I'm tempted to vote DT, I'm hoping Fluellen develops into a viable starter at DT and Redding might be OK for another year. We've got nobody on the roster to play MLB, so that's the biggest need.

Realistically, there aren't many positions on defense that don't need an upgrade.

December 30th, 2008, 3:33 pm
Stats Boy

Here are my thoughts on the positions that the Lions should be trying to address:

I went with DT as their biggest need. A big NT would help keep the pressure off of our small LB's, allowing them to make plays. That being said, I don't think there is anyone worthy of either of our first round picks unless Cody decides to enter the draft (I think he will declare, but up to this point he has not). Drafting Raji in the second round might make sense. I don't think that he will be around in the third.

A big, physical MLB would be a huge addition to our defense. Maualuga is not a typical tampa 2 MLB, but his presence in this defense would be a huge step towards improving the ability to stop the run. Laurinaitis would be a good pick at #19 or 20. He seems to fit our scheme a little bit better, but he would definitely need protection. In my opinion, Dizon will never be an NFL MLB. We need to address the position in some other way. It appears that Millen drafted a good quality special teams player with our second round pick last year. Not his worst pick, but it is up there.

I am against taking a DE with a high pick in this draft if it is a player that is only able to rush the passer. I think that if you are going to use a high pick on an end it should be a player that can stop the run and go get the quarterback. Every year there are players taken in the later rounds that are good pass rushers. I think that Avril has shown the potential to be that type of player for the Lions. I don't see any DE's that we should look at in the first round unless Orakpo should magically fall to our second pick.

The need to improve the CB position is certainly there, but I would like to see what defensive scheme the new staff intends to run. No matter what the scheme, this position needs an upgrade. There is enough history in Detroit to tell us that late round CB's do not work out. This position needs to be addressed in the first two rounds or not at all.

I will always be in favor of drafting offensive lineman. This is an area that needs to be addressed. I fully support drafting a LT with our first overall pick. I also like Alex Mack in the second round.

I am opposed to taking a QB with a high pick when your team is in such dire straits. Either one of these quarterbacks (Stafford or Bradford) could turn out to be a great player, but I think that the new coaching staff would be pressured into playing a young quarterback before he is ready. You put a promising young QB behind this line and he is doomed to fail. At this point, I would rather see the team look at a late round QB to put behind Dan O and Drew Stanton. I got to see Rhett Bomar play last year with Sam Houston State. He seems to have a big arm, is a very good athlete, and made very good decisions. He may be available in the late rounds simply because he comes from a small school. I am pretty high on him, but I would like to know what others think of him. Thoughts?

December 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm
QB Coach

Here are my thoughts on the positions that the Lions should be trying to address:

I went with DT as their biggest need. A big NT would help keep the pressure off of our small LB's, allowing them to make plays. That being said, I don't think there is anyone worthy of either of our first round picks unless Cody decides to enter the draft (I think he will declare, but up to this point he has not). Drafting Raji in the second round might make sense. I don't think that he will be around in the third.

A big, physical MLB would be a huge addition to our defense. Maualuga is not a typical tampa 2 MLB, but his presence in this defense would be a huge step towards improving the ability to stop the run. Laurinaitis would be a good pick at #19 or 20. He seems to fit our scheme a little bit better, but he would definitely need protection. In my opinion, Dizon will never be an NFL MLB. We need to address the position in some other way. It appears that Millen drafted a good quality special teams player with our second round pick last year. Not his worst pick, but it is up there.

I am against taking a DE with a high pick in this draft if it is a player that is only able to rush the passer. I think that if you are going to use a high pick on an end it should be a player that can stop the run and go get the quarterback. Every year there are players taken in the later rounds that are good pass rushers. I think that Avril has shown the potential to be that type of player for the Lions. I don't see any DE's that we should look at in the first round unless Orakpo should magically fall to our second pick.

The need to improve the CB position is certainly there, but I would like to see what defensive scheme the new staff intends to run. No matter what the scheme, this position needs an upgrade. There is enough history in Detroit to tell us that late round CB's do not work out. This position needs to be addressed in the first two rounds or not at all.

I will always be in favor of drafting offensive lineman. This is an area that needs to be addressed. I fully support drafting a LT with our first overall pick. I also like Alex Mack in the second round.

I am opposed to taking a QB with a high pick when your team is in such dire straits. Either one of these quarterbacks (Stafford or Bradford) could turn out to be a great player, but I think that the new coaching staff would be pressured into playing a young quarterback before he is ready. You put a promising young QB behind this line and he is doomed to fail. At this point, I would rather see the team look at a late round QB to put behind Dan O and Drew Stanton. I got to see Rhett Bomar play last year with Sam Houston State. He seems to have a big arm, is a very good athlete, and made very good decisions. He may be available in the late rounds simply because he comes from a small school. I am pretty high on him, but I would like to know what others think of him. Thoughts?

Pretty good summary, but one comment. You made reference to "our scheme" and the Tampa 2. Remember, new coaches likely means new scheme. The Tampa 2 may be going bye bye. Especially considering Mayhew's comments that he wants to get bigger. That's usually not typical of the tampa 2

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 31st, 2008, 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next