View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 8:32 pm



Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #1 overall pick: Now what? 
Author Message
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2005, 11:35 pm
Posts: 1079
Post #1 overall pick: Now what?
It's just the Lions luck that they get the #1 overall pick and there is no stud at the top of the draft to take.

Since I'm 100% convinced that there is 0% they can trade down. Kind of looks the Lions don't have many options of who to take with the pick.

Here are the only options I see right now:

1. Draft Alabama OT Andre Smith - Smith is at the top most boards but does have his issues - he's had weight issues and lacks ideal height. Can struggle with speed rushers and getting suspended from the bowl game was just plain dumb.

2. Draft a QB - Stafford and Bradford are at the top of most boards. If one of them shows the ability to be a franchise QB the Lions might have to draft him since they don't have one.

3. Draft defense - Right now the only 2 defenders at the top of the draft board are OLB Aaron Curry and CB Malcolm Jenkins. Two positions you don't normally take with the #1 overall pick.

_________________
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.


January 1st, 2009, 5:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3137
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: #1 overall pick: Now what?
Leo wrote:
It's just the Lions luck that they get the #1 overall pick and there is no stud at the top of the draft to take.

Since I'm 100% convinced that there is 0% they can trade down. Kind of looks the Lions don't have many options of who to take with the pick.

Here are the only options I see right now:

1. Draft Alabama OT Andre Smith - Smith is at the top most boards but does have his issues - he's had weight issues and lacks ideal height. Can struggle with speed rushers and getting suspended from the bowl game was just plain dumb.

2. Draft a QB - Stafford and Bradford are at the top of most boards. If one of them shows the ability to be a franchise QB the Lions might have to draft him since they don't have one.

3. Draft defense - Right now the only 2 defenders at the top of the draft board are OLB Aaron Curry and CB Malcolm Jenkins. Two positions you don't normally take with the #1 overall pick.

The more I see about Andre Smith the less I like. I'm seeing reports that he's really raw and struggles with speed rushers. He's a prime bust candidate. If we go OT with the #1 pick, I'd like to see it be Oher. I haven't heard anything really bad about the guy. It seems like he's just not getting the hype that Smith is.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


January 1st, 2009, 6:18 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2006, 5:04 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Rosebush Michigan
Post 
Just a question about trading down. Is it more unlikely to happen because there is no clear cut #1 type player or are more teams unwilling to spend top dollor?

If we could trade down a few spots and pick up a teams 3rd or 4th round pick I think that would be great. Some teams would be willing to do that would'nt they?

_________________
waiting for 2010 season.....


January 1st, 2009, 6:42 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: January 1st, 2008, 8:03 pm
Posts: 1213
Post 
I dont know who we should take but i know who we shouldnt. I watched the capital one bowl today the first time i got to see Stafford all season and well he didnt impress me at all. He had one good half against an average Michigan State defense. After all the hype he had i expected him to play much better.


January 1st, 2009, 7:19 pm
Profile
Afghan Allstar
User avatar

Joined: January 9th, 2006, 1:16 pm
Posts: 564
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
Lionman3 wrote:
I dont know who we should take but i know who we shouldnt. I watched the capital one bowl today the first time i got to see Stafford all season and well he didnt impress me at all. He had one good half against an average Michigan State defense. After all the hype he had i expected him to play much better.


He really only had a good 3rd quarter. His first half was horrible.

_________________
So many nights I just dream of the ocean, God I wish I was sailing again.


January 1st, 2009, 7:52 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: December 27th, 2006, 4:53 pm
Posts: 693
Post Re: #1 overall pick: Now what?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Leo wrote:
It's just the Lions luck that they get the #1 overall pick and there is no stud at the top of the draft to take.

Since I'm 100% convinced that there is 0% they can trade down. Kind of looks the Lions don't have many options of who to take with the pick.

Here are the only options I see right now:

1. Draft Alabama OT Andre Smith - Smith is at the top most boards but does have his issues - he's had weight issues and lacks ideal height. Can struggle with speed rushers and getting suspended from the bowl game was just plain dumb.

2. Draft a QB - Stafford and Bradford are at the top of most boards. If one of them shows the ability to be a franchise QB the Lions might have to draft him since they don't have one.

3. Draft defense - Right now the only 2 defenders at the top of the draft board are OLB Aaron Curry and CB Malcolm Jenkins. Two positions you don't normally take with the #1 overall pick.

The more I see about Andre Smith the less I like. I'm seeing reports that he's really raw and struggles with speed rushers. He's a prime bust candidate. If we go OT with the #1 pick, I'd like to see it be Oher. I haven't heard anything really bad about the guy. It seems like he's just not getting the hype that Smith is.


What speed rusher did Andre struggle against? He played in the SEC which is a speed rusher's conference. He gave up 1 sack this season. He is 6'4 which is shorter for a LT, but what really matters is his arm length. That remains to be measured. If Mayhew is a man of his word and wants to get bigger and physical, then he drafts the dominant run blocker. He cuts Raiola too, but that happens regardless.


January 1st, 2009, 8:37 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1052
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post 
I agree about the bust potential on Smith. He already looks fat and slow. I watched Stafford today against State and he was horrible in the first half. But he did make some good throws in the second. He has the arm, but I'm not sure he is ready for the pro's. Actually I would like to see these underclass QB's all stay in school. Then we would not have to talk about which one the Lions will take.


January 1st, 2009, 11:08 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
Absolutely love Stafford. Not buying the Bradford hype. Stafford throws such a pretty ball.


January 2nd, 2009, 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Joined: December 8th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Posts: 785
Post 
Brian wrote:
Stafford throws such a pretty ball.


Just he throws it to the wrong team. :lol:


January 2nd, 2009, 3:20 am
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: March 7th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Posts: 324
Post 
Curry #1, Vontae Davis at the Dallas pick, and grab best OT/DT available at the top of the second (hopefully Max Unger from Oregon).


January 2nd, 2009, 3:54 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post 
Stafford threw for 3 Tds in 18 minutes. Named game MVP. How horrable could he have been? I'd take 3 Tds in an entire game all season long.


January 2nd, 2009, 9:21 am
Profile
Pop Warner Vet
User avatar

Joined: November 11th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Grand Rapids
Post 
We have to fix the lines first.

Our D has had the fewest pass attempts-against in the entire NFL in 2008. A stud CB isn't going to do much good when teams don't need to pass against us because they can run up the middle on us all day, and that means we need a NT and ILB in the first 3 rounds.

Smith with the #1 overall

BJ Raji with the Dallas pick. We have no DT's over 300 pounds (except Shaun Cody, backup, 310). A great MLB will be wasted if he constantly has to take on OG's because our DT's don't need to get double-teamed. I want a DT who can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4

Mack, Spikes, or Robinson (in that order) at the top of round #2

For #3a and #3b, BPA at MLB, G, and C (whichever we didn't get in round #2)


January 2nd, 2009, 11:27 am
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: January 1st, 2008, 8:03 pm
Posts: 1213
Post 
Stafford struggles like a Lion early, thrives late
January 2, 2009

Read Comments(29)Recommend(2)Print this page E-mail this article Share this article: Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up!
Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford is expected to enter the NFL draft and be one of the top players taken. The Lions, of course, have the No. 1 pick, and there are those who want to see them take their quarterback of the future.


Watching Thursday's game, a few things stood out that made Stafford seem like a Lion in waiting:

• He made a nice tackle after throwing an interception in the first quarter.

• His lackluster play in the first half had the announcers muttering, "Stafford has certainly not been at his best today."


• When you're a Lion, no one really needs to know your name. At one point Thursday, it actually sounded like play-by-play man Mike Patrick referred to him as "Matthew Stanford."

• The analysts pointed out how Stafford was working behind an inexperienced offensive line filled with underclassmen. What better training ground for playing behind the Lions' line?

But in the second half, Stafford gave one big reason why he doesn't seem right for the Lions -- he took over the game and led his team to a win, throwing three TDs in 18 minutes.

The analysts couldn't get enough of him in the second half. Even when the MSU offense was on the field, they seemed to want to talk about Stafford, to show his stats ... and to capture his mom sitting in the stands, clapping.




He was playing an Average defense at best. he really only played one good Quarter. This guy played no better then Orvlovsky i feal.


January 2nd, 2009, 12:22 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2007, 5:32 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Post 
v1ly4 wrote:
We have to fix the lines first.

Our D has had the fewest pass attempts-against in the entire NFL in 2008. A stud CB isn't going to do much good when teams don't need to pass against us because they can run up the middle on us all day, and that means we need a NT and ILB in the first 3 rounds.

Smith with the #1 overall

BJ Raji with the Dallas pick. We have no DT's over 300 pounds (except Shaun Cody, backup, 310). A great MLB will be wasted if he constantly has to take on OG's because our DT's don't need to get double-teamed. I want a DT who can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4

Mack, Spikes, or Robinson (in that order) at the top of round #2

For #3a and #3b, BPA at MLB, G, and C (whichever we didn't get in round #2)


I really like BJ Raji, I watched him play against FSU and he is an impact player, when he was in we weren't able to run the ball at all. We even abandoned the run and started passing every down until he got injured and had to sit a couple drives. While he was out we starting breaking long runs.


January 2nd, 2009, 12:35 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
v1ly4 wrote:
We have to fix the lines first.

Our D has had the fewest pass attempts-against in the entire NFL in 2008. A stud CB isn't going to do much good when teams don't need to pass against us because they can run up the middle on us all day, and that means we need a NT and ILB in the first 3 rounds.

Smith with the #1 overall

BJ Raji with the Dallas pick. We have no DT's over 300 pounds (except Shaun Cody, backup, 310). A great MLB will be wasted if he constantly has to take on OG's because our DT's don't need to get double-teamed. I want a DT who can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4

Mack, Spikes, or Robinson (in that order) at the top of round #2

For #3a and #3b, BPA at MLB, G, and C (whichever we didn't get in round #2)



That is one of the best plans ive seen right there! I love it!

Lionman, I defeintly agree with you. I dont want Stafford or any QB. Lets draft offensive line and Defense!

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 2nd, 2009, 3:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.