View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #1 overall pick: Now what? 
Water Boy

I would take Oher with the #1 overall selection. I watched him perform in the bowl game today and he was impressive. I saw Smith from Alabama play against Florida. I only have a small sample (1 game for each player) to compare but would prefer Oher. Hopefully, they both grade out well in the pro-days so we can get a franchise LT and move Backus.

I would take then take the best available defensive players with the later 1st round pick and the 2nd round pick.

January 2nd, 2009, 8:19 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Oher has been inconsistent and puzzling this season against inferior talent. He went from being mentioned in the same breath as Smith to being a more likely candidate for the Dallas pick.

January 2nd, 2009, 8:36 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Recently saw this evaluation on a mock draft at footballsfuture.com

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Smith does not have the look of a franchise tackle as he’s a bit short and stocky, but he may be the safest bet among the top tier lineman. If he doesn’t lock down LT, he has the power to handle guard or right tackle.

After reading this I thought, "oh great lets spend the first overall pick in the draft on a guard"

January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Smith does not have the look of a franchise tackle as he’s a bit short and stocky, but he may be the safest bet among the top tier lineman. If he doesn’t lock down LT, he has the power to handle guard or right tackle.

After reading this I thought, "oh great lets spend the first overall pick in the draft on a guard"

At least he'll be great at his position. I would take him even at right tackle than rolling the dice on a QB.

January 3rd, 2009, 3:12 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

liontrax wrote:

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

At least he'll be great at his position. I would take him even at right tackle than rolling the dice on a QB.

I'm not endorsing the Lions taking a QB at 1, I just don't think they should take Smith at 1

January 3rd, 2009, 5:20 am
Team MVP

Well if theyre stuck at #1 like everyone is saying, its a much smarter choice to draft Smith/Oher than a quarterback. What other position would you really take here considering the value?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 3rd, 2009, 4:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Well if theyre stuck at #1 like everyone is saying, its a much smarter choice to draft Smith/Oher than a quarterback. What other position would you really take here considering the value?

The history of the draft shows that you select QB, RB, WR, LT, or DE, at the top spot. What I disagree with is that a team feel impelled to select from this list simply because that's the way it's been done in the past, or because of the so-called value system that says you can't take a LB or DB at 1. At this time most of the mock drafts that I have seen listed Oher,Smith,Bradford, or Stafford as the Lions pick. This is all speculation and being way to early to say who they will take and who will be available.
Underclassmen don't declare til the middle of the month. And of course these are mock drafts and don't mean s#&t. But back to your question, considering the value. I have no idea who I would take. Value system be damned, I would take the player at a position that I would feel would make the most impact. Personally I like the MLB from USC. The kids a stud and plays at a position of "GREAT NEED" to the Lions. But I realize that won't happen because of the value system.

January 4th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Thank goodness we have you to tell us what is smart and what isn't

January 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm
Heisman Winner

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Lions are "likely" to use the No. 1 overall pick in 2009 on a quarterback.

Ugh, I hope not.

January 4th, 2009, 4:57 pm

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Lions are "likely" to use the No. 1 overall pick in 2009 on a quarterback.

Ugh, I hope not.

He's as reliable as Kowalski.

January 4th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:

Well someones gotta explain the game of football in a common sense version to ignorant guys like you Stallion...someone who wants to spend a #1 overall pick on a guy to bench him, especially a player/position that relies on a good O-line that we DONT have. Keep your mouth shut if your gonna say stupid stuff like that. If we arent supposed to post if we have a seperate opinion than you than this forum would be pretty quiet.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 4th, 2009, 11:44 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

It's not a value system it's a money system that is in place. You don't take a CB or OG #1 overall because for the amount of cash your paying you're overpaying for the position.

That's why so many teams take flyers on QB #1 overall in the draft. It's almost better to take your chances on franchise QB and pay him and if he doesn't pan out you cut your losses. But if you draft a CB or LB #1 and he does pan out you're still not getting your money worth and upsetting the payscale for the rest of the NFL.

It's a problem with collective bargaining agreement that needs to be fixed in the near future.

Unfortunately for the Lions it's not so they need to draft a money position ie QB, RB, WR, LT, DE, DT with the #1 overall pick.

January 4th, 2009, 11:48 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stallion wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Well someones gotta explain the game of football in a common sense version to ignorant guys like you Stallion...someone who wants to spend a #1 overall pick on a guy to bench him, especially a player/position that relies on a good O-line that we DONT have. Keep your mouth shut if your gonna say stupid stuff like that. If we arent supposed to post if we have a seperate opinion than you than this forum would be pretty quiet.

The difference is I am completely open to other directions. You and a couple others however believe that the only way to go is LT in this draft and any other idea is stupid. I may argue my theory but I don't say it is stupid to draft LT. Ron Wolf recently said if he was building the lions the first thing he would do is bring in a QB....what and idiot that guy is.

January 5th, 2009, 12:14 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

It's not a value system it's a money system that is in place. You don't take a CB or OG #1 overall because for the amount of cash your paying you're overpaying for the position.

That's why so many teams take flyers on QB #1 overall in the draft. It's almost better to take your chances on franchise QB and pay him and if he doesn't pan out you cut your losses. But if you draft a CB or LB #1 and he does pan out you're still not getting your money worth and upsetting the payscale for the rest of the NFL.

It's a problem with collective bargaining agreement that needs to be fixed in the near future.

Unfortunately for the Lions it's not so they need to draft a money position ie QB, RB, WR, LT, DE, DT with the #1 overall pick.

I have already resigned myself to this fact, and if Bradford has an outstanding game tonight I will get onboard with the idea he should be the first pick and hopefully the Lions take the necessary steps to insure his development by beefing up the O-line. Or maybe another team will want him bad enough to offer them fair trade value for the pick, although I doubt it. I feel the Lions best chance for trading down will come with there later first and/or top second round pick.

January 5th, 2009, 10:34 am

Leo wrote:

I have already resigned myself to this fact, and if Bradford has an outstanding game tonight I will get onboard with the idea he should be the first pick and hopefully the Lions take the necessary steps to insure his development by beefing up the O-line. Or maybe another team will want him bad enough to offer them fair trade value for the pick, although I doubt it. I feel the Lions best chance for trading down will come with there later first and/or top second round pick.

Ohio State-Texas is tonight. Oklahoma-Florida is Thursday.

January 5th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next