View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #1 overall pick: Now what? 
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:
Stallion wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Well if theyre stuck at #1 like everyone is saying, its a much smarter choice to draft Smith/Oher than a quarterback. What other position would you really take here considering the value?
Thank goodness we have you to tell us what is smart and what isn't

Well someones gotta explain the game of football in a common sense version to ignorant guys like you Stallion...someone who wants to spend a #1 overall pick on a guy to bench him, especially a player/position that relies on a good O-line that we DONT have. Keep your mouth shut if your gonna say stupid stuff like that. If we arent supposed to post if we have a seperate opinion than you than this forum would be pretty quiet.

The difference is I am completely open to other directions. You and a couple others however believe that the only way to go is LT in this draft and any other idea is stupid. I may argue my theory but I don't say it is stupid to draft LT. Ron Wolf recently said if he was building the lions the first thing he would do is bring in a QB....what and idiot that guy is.

No...LT should be the only way to go if were stuck at #1..."value-wise". Personally i dont believe in the whole value thing, but because thats just how it works, it would be pointless to mention any defensive positions id want. Im VERY open to "defense" ideas, but only if we could move down. Im open to almost every idea except running back, reciever, and ESPECIALLY quarterback.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 5th, 2009, 3:50 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

You need to understand that your oppinion is not fact. You may not like someone elses thougts but that does not make it stupid. Also considering we both lack front office experience you can not say your theory is in fact smarter then mine. Teams have been built many different ways and many different things have worked. The point I was trying to make is think when you post that stuff becuase in the NFL nothing is certain.

January 5th, 2009, 4:27 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am officially on or starting the 'Draft Orakpo #1' club! Man did awesome last night against those Bucknuts!

Draft Colt McCoy in 2010!!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 6th, 2009, 8:24 am
Walk On

I am officially on or starting the 'Draft Orakpo #1' club! Man did awesome last night against those Bucknuts!

Draft Colt McCoy in 2010!!!!

I second that notion wholeheartedly. Well the first part anyway. Orakpo speed off the edge is exactly what we need. I'm alittle suspect of his size and his play against the run, but he definetly looked better that either Jenkins or Lauranitus.

I cant remember his name but #90 for OSU's d-line looked good too. 1 of the 2 pentalies against him was a crap call and he seemed to have a great motor. Probably an underclassmen though.

January 6th, 2009, 6:05 pm
NFL Veteran

Orakpo's stock is all over the place. Some say no. 1 overall, some say available to our no. 20. I would love for him to be available at no. 20.

The last DE who was a work out warrior who added muscle mass and strength before the draft like Orakpo was a guy named Sean Merriman. That worked out well... at least before the steroids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0

What I like is he actually has field production to go with the measurables.

January 6th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I too would like Ork, but i think the major problem with that dline is DT. Now if you told me we'd take Ork and then some DT (the kid out of Duke, i think Raji) then I could be persuaded.

My beef with Smith is that Spikes was all over him in the SECC game and that really bothered me.

January 6th, 2009, 9:57 pm
Afghan Allstar

Orakpo's stock is all over the place. Some say no. 1 overall, some say available to our no. 20. I would love for him to be available at no. 20.

The last DE who was a work out warrior who added muscle mass and strength before the draft like Orakpo was a guy named Sean Merriman. That worked out well... at least before the steroids.

Holy Crap!!! That guy is a beast.

January 6th, 2009, 11:41 pm
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:

Holy Crap!!! That guy is a beast.

Good gracious!!! He is HUGE!

January 7th, 2009, 12:04 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Gaining 50 lbs of muscle while maintaining 8% body fat? Kinda explains injuries to both knees. Hopefully we dont have another Vernon Gholston.

January 7th, 2009, 8:41 am
NFL Veteran

Gaining 50 lbs of muscle while maintaining 8% body fat? Kinda explains injuries to both knees. Hopefully we dont have another Vernon Gholston.

??? Curious that you'd insinuate that.

People hit the weight room for durability not to get more fragile.

Orakpo was injured by chop blocks.

January 7th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I too would like Ork, but i think the major problem with that dline is DT. Now if you told me we'd take Ork and then some DT (the kid out of Duke, i think Raji) then I could be persuaded.

My beef with Smith is that Spikes was all over him in the SECC game and that really bothered me.
The Duke NT is Oghobaase and he is returning to school. He is going to be a good one.

January 8th, 2009, 12:22 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

v1ly4 wrote:
We have to fix the lines first.

Our D has had the fewest pass attempts-against in the entire NFL in 2008. A stud CB isn't going to do much good when teams don't need to pass against us because they can run up the middle on us all day, and that means we need a NT and ILB in the first 3 rounds.

Smith with the #1 overall

BJ Raji with the Dallas pick. We have no DT's over 300 pounds (except Shaun Cody, backup, 310). A great MLB will be wasted if he constantly has to take on OG's because our DT's don't need to get double-teamed. I want a DT who can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAs7UtO5-S4

Mack, Spikes, or Robinson (in that order) at the top of round #2

For #3a and #3b, BPA at MLB, G, and C (whichever we didn't get in round #2)

That is one of the best plans ive seen right there! I love it!

Lionman, I defeintly agree with you. I dont want Stafford or any QB. Lets draft offensive line and Defense!

Yeah. What he said.

January 8th, 2009, 2:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

The Lions are on the clock! Who are we kidding, they've been on the clock since they put Kitna on IR. With picks #1, 18/19, and 33, there's plenty of need but a lot of great players out there that would immediately help.

#1- Andre Smith- Why the hell not? I don't want to see a QB here because we'd have another Joey Harrington on our hands. Taking an expensive QB at #1 without a solid line would be disasterous. He'd be running for his life all season. With only one solid wideout and no tight end, he'll struggle.

#18- Defense. Here we could grab a player like Laurinitis (I think he'll drop) or a guy like Michael Johnson. I know that Cliff Avril has shown some promise, but another guy like that would be great. A DT here, like Sen'Derrick Marks would help alot, but we've got 9 DT's on the roster, so I can't see it happening. A few others like Brian Cushing or Taylor Mays could also make a world of difference.

#33- QB- Mark Sanchez will probably be available, or if we want to try the Baltimore approach go with a guy like Rhett Bomar from San Houston St. Depending on how the QB's test out a guy could fall to the Lions at this pick. I'd like to see defense here, a good CB or another LB depending on how the second pick in the first goes.

The Lions have a lot of holes and one draft isn't going to solve all the problems. I think they've got a good shot though to make a big turnaround if they draft well in the later rounds.

January 8th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Walk On

I don't even want to waste a 7th round on dirty Sanchez.

I am officially joining the draft Bradford club.

I submit that anyone not impressed with his accuracy either a) did not watch the nat'l championship game or b) needs a referral to a good eye doctor.

His accuracy is amazing. It will translate. I am a Stanton supporter, but in all honesty, I never saw that kind of passing ability out of him. I have seen some of the best QB play this year in the NCAA. Stafford looked good for a quarter against MSU. Colt looked good for a half against OSU. Bradford was very solid throughout. They were probably 2 plays away from beating Florida by 2 touchdowns. Those would be the 2 goal to go situations.

I know everyone is soured on drafting QBs, but IMHO, we will regret not doing so.

-ILMP

January 9th, 2009, 3:27 am
NFL Veteran

I agree. Bradford has excellent vision. And he translates that with amazing accuracy. Accuracy is the best indicator of success if you want to oversimplify things.

Say what you want about him not being in a pro-style offense, but he was taking the ball under center just fine. The only unorthodox about that offense is the three stooges on the sidelines relaying in three different plays, with only one being the right play.

He has taken over Stafford as a prospect IMO.

As far as all the prospects go, he's the only one who consistently shows that "it" factor.

Only thing though is he's a baby. On two counts. Underclassmen don't come in to the league and just tear it up. Only consistently producing seniors do. He may be an exception but he'd probably be better off sitting this year. He also looks like a Sophomore not in college, but High School. Hard to see guys accepting a guy as your leader if he looks like he can be their kid.

January 9th, 2009, 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next