View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #1 overall pick: Now what? 
Junior Varsity

I don't even want to waste a 7th round on dirty Sanchez.

I am officially joining the draft Bradford club.

I submit that anyone not impressed with his accuracy either a) did not watch the nat'l championship game or b) needs a referral to a good eye doctor.

His accuracy is amazing. It will translate. I am a Stanton supporter, but in all honesty, I never saw that kind of passing ability out of him. I have seen some of the best QB play this year in the NCAA. Stafford looked good for a quarter against MSU. Colt looked good for a half against OSU. Bradford was very solid throughout. They were probably 2 plays away from beating Florida by 2 touchdowns. Those would be the 2 goal to go situations.

I know everyone is soured on drafting QBs, but IMHO, we will regret not doing so.

-ILMP

I don't know what game you were watching, he completed nothing but short passes. He consistently missed his deep throws all game. I saw a QB who has talent, but needs a lot of work. He needs to stay in school. I would not touch him if I was the Lions, neither he or Stafford impressed me one bit. Not that I want the lions to take Tebow either, but I find him much more impressive.

January 9th, 2009, 4:45 am
NFL Veteran

Woah wait a minute? Did you just say you found Tebow more impressive?

Hmmm. I guess as a college running QB. But for the NFL, this guy is a large Tim Crouch. He don't translate to the NFL.

January 9th, 2009, 5:06 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

I was completed UN impressed with Bradford. Same with Stafford the other day. They both underachieved when it mattered the most. I believe there is no franchise qb to declare as of yet, at least not a first rounder.

January 9th, 2009, 7:15 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Bradford accuracy is overrated due to the large throwing lanes created by there spread/shotgun offense. Also he can't read a defense becuase stoop does that for him. He would need minimum of a year but I would guess more like 2-3.

January 9th, 2009, 9:36 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Bradford was completely unimpressive last night. Sure he made some good throws, but he never once made a pre-snap read of the defense. When he was rushed he didn't show enough escapability to make me feel comfortable with throwing him in right away his first season. If the Lions were to take him, he would be facing the same sort of pressure, and I don't know how long he would last. Pass on Bradford.

January 9th, 2009, 10:39 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I agree. Bradford has excellent vision. And he translates that with amazing accuracy. Accuracy is the best indicator of success if you want to oversimplify things.

Say what you want about him not being in a pro-style offense, but he was taking the ball under center just fine. The only unorthodox about that offense is the three stooges on the sidelines relaying in three different plays, with only one being the right play.

He has taken over Stafford as a prospect IMO.

As far as all the prospects go, he's the only one who consistently shows that "it" factor.

Only thing though is he's a baby. On two counts. Underclassmen don't come in to the league and just tear it up. Only consistently producing seniors do. He may be an exception but he'd probably be better off sitting this year. He also looks like a Sophomore not in college, but High School. Hard to see guys accepting a guy as your leader if he looks like he can be their kid.

I agree in regards to the "it" factor, and I also agree with Stallion about not being ready for a couple years. Stafford is no better and is fragile. Tebow is a fullback. So, what do you do if your the Lions and Bradford declares? Feel compelled to take him based on potential? I'm hoping he stays in school. Doubt he will. If the Lions take him I can live with that knowing they have a future at QB, but feel the team is best served by taking the top OL or DL in the draft with there first pick. In regards to last nights game the pro prospects I was most impressed by were DT Gerald McCoy of OK. and WR Percy Harvin of Flo.

January 9th, 2009, 11:16 am
QB Coach

As far as Bradford goes, I was impressed with his accuracy when he has time. He was dead on the money with his throws, especially deep balls. There were at least 3 that were thrown perfectly but were broken up by great defensive plays.

But, as others have said, he doesn't make any reads of the defense himself, and he wilted when the pressure was on. Not good. He has the physical tools to be a good QB, but he needs to develop his mental abilities. Probably another year in college would do him good.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 9th, 2009, 2:05 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Stoops absolutely crapped away the season with overcoaching. The rhythm of the offense was greatly affected by requiring Sam to staredown the sideline for 10-15 sec before each play. Bradford is without a doubt the best QB in this draft and has many of the tools necessary, but he is still a definite work in progress and needs to go to a team with a proven QB guy to bridge the gap to making Sam a great pro QB. Watching the game last night and the Sugar Bowl further cements that Andre Smith is the guy at #1.

January 9th, 2009, 3:26 pm
Walk On

Hard to see guys accepting a guy as your leader if he looks like he can be their kid.

Someone forgot to tell that to the New York Giants.

Quote:
Bradford was completely unimpressive last night.

Really? I am curious what your standard is for college QB play. I've seen very few who throw a better ball more consistently.

Quote:
...neither he or Stafford impressed me one bit.

Are you lumping them together as equivalent performances? They were not even close. Stafford missed many throws. As in- threw it to the wrong spot. Stafford and Georgia did squat against garbage D for 3/4 game. Bradford and OU moved the ball at will 3/4 of the game against a top tier D. Let me remind you that it was not Sam Bradford getting stuffed behind the line on 3rd/4th and goal. Those plays and the freak INT kept points off the board. Despite the outcome, OU was better in both phases than Florida. I'd say OU wins that game at least 7 out of 10 times.

I guess what I don't understand is what separates Sam Bradford from an Eli Manning or similar #1 pick. If he is accurate and has the 'it' factor (whatever that is), what specific traits are you suggesting he lacks? Can't read the D? Stoops never gave him the opportunity.

What comprises your stud franchise QB of the future? If not him, then who? And how do you know? Seriously. IMO, we can wait forever, and may not get the chance at a better QB. We probably won't have the top pick when the right guy arrives. Our time is now. It's not like we can pass and say we'll just get one next year. If we win just 3 or 4 games a year, we'll never again get that shot... and you don't get franchise QBs from FA. The good ones play out their career with one team. Peyton Manning- drafted 1st overall by the Colts in 1998. Still with the Colts in '09.

If we don't draft a QB, we forfeit all chance at our own Peyton Manning type of QB. (I'm not suggesting Bradford will equal Peyton, just making a general point)

Take Bradford, then take the top guard available with one of the next two. Makes as much sense as taking an LT and moving our LT to guard. Chew on it- you'll come around.

-ILMP

January 9th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

My problem with Bradford is he has a lot of work to do as far as reading defenses like others have said but even more important is he hasn't shown he can turn his back to the defense and then pick up his receivers. If you can't execute a play action pass in the NFL you aren't going to last long. Not only must you be able to sell the run but also turn your back to the defense and then quickly read the coverage. Stafford has work to do himself and not try to rely so much on his arm but he is a pretty good QB at running the play action pass. Will either be great or either bust? Who really knows but I think Stafford has a lot less of a learning curve and isn't as bad as those that aren't in favor of him being drafted make him out to be.

January 9th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Quote:
Hard to see guys accepting a guy as your leader if he looks like he can be their kid.

Someone forgot to tell that to the New York Giants.

Quote:
Bradford was completely unimpressive last night.

Really? I am curious what your standard is for college QB play. I've seen very few who throw a better ball more consistently.

Quote:
...neither he or Stafford impressed me one bit.

Are you lumping them together as equivalent performances? They were not even close. Stafford missed many throws. As in- threw it to the wrong spot. Stafford and Georgia did squat against garbage D for 3/4 game. Bradford and OU moved the ball at will 3/4 of the game against a top tier D. Let me remind you that it was not Sam Bradford getting stuffed behind the line on 3rd/4th and goal. Those plays and the freak INT kept points off the board. Despite the outcome, OU was better in both phases than Florida. I'd say OU wins that game at least 7 out of 10 times.

I guess what I don't understand is what separates Sam Bradford from an Eli Manning or similar #1 pick. If he is accurate and has the 'it' factor (whatever that is), what specific traits are you suggesting he lacks? Can't read the D? Stoops never gave him the opportunity.

What comprises your stud franchise QB of the future? If not him, then who? And how do you know? Seriously. IMO, we can wait forever, and may not get the chance at a better QB. We probably won't have the top pick when the right guy arrives. Our time is now. It's not like we can pass and say we'll just get one next year. If we win just 3 or 4 games a year, we'll never again get that shot... and you don't get franchise QBs from FA. The good ones play out their career with one team. Peyton Manning- drafted 1st overall by the Colts in 1998. Still with the Colts in '09.

If we don't draft a QB, we forfeit all chance at our own Peyton Manning type of QB. (I'm not suggesting Bradford will equal Peyton, just making a general point)

Take Bradford, then take the top guard available with one of the next two. Makes as much sense as taking an LT and moving our LT to guard. Chew on it- you'll come around.

-ILMP

So basically, you are saying your post doesnt make sense. Id agree with you on that one. What we are saying more or less is that Sam Bradford is a project who ideally should stay in college, or go to a team where he can sit and learn. When you are 0-16, you dont draft players at #1 to sit on the bench. Especially when there will be a QB considerably more NFL ready in Mark Sanchez in 2010. We forfeit nothing passing on Bradford or Stafford at #1. The Patriots got a QB better than Peyton Manning in Round 6.

January 9th, 2009, 10:54 pm
QB Coach

So basically, you are saying your post doesnt make sense. Id agree with you on that one. What we are saying more or less is that Sam Bradford is a project who ideally should stay in college, or go to a team where he can sit and learn. When you are 0-16, you dont draft players at #1 to sit on the bench. Especially when there will be a QB considerably more NFL ready in Mark Sanchez in 2010. We forfeit nothing passing on Bradford or Stafford at #1. The Patriots got a QB better than Peyton Manning in Round 6.

I agree with most of your post, but stop with the Brady reference. Brady was a freakishly lucky pick. Nobody foresaw what he would become. That was a lucky late round pick. Probably the best (luckiest) late round pick ever. No team can model their QB choice after that. A better analogy would be a team like the Steelers with Big Ben. He was the 11th overall pick, which is probably a pretty reasonable spot for the Lions to be picking next year. I would take a QB like him any day.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 9th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Heisman Winner

Patriots did it with Cassell too. Bree's wasn't a first round pick either I don't think.

January 10th, 2009, 12:48 am
QB Coach

Patriots did it with Cassell too. Bree's wasn't a first round pick either I don't think.

The Pats did what exactly with Cassell? Missed the playoffs? Everybody who is on the Matt Cassell bandwagon needs to remember one very important thing. He took over a team that went undefeated last year and didn't make the playoffs!!! The team is mostly the same. At the very least, the offense should have still been really, really good if he was a good QB. That alone is enough for me to say no thanks.

Brees was a 2nd round pick

January 10th, 2009, 1:03 am
Heisman Winner

11-5 is pretty good for a pretty much rookie season. He didn't make the playoffs but I'd take 11-5 from a first year player anyday.

January 10th, 2009, 1:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next