View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mayhew wants to get BIGGER on D 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Mayhew wants to get BIGGER on D
Quote:
“I believe (what) we need to be is a physical football team,” Mayhew said. “I think we have to be a faster football team. Defensively, we have to get bigger; we’re small — we’re a small football team. We get out there and on plays — we might call the right defense and might have a free hitter in the hole and instead of 2nd-and-10, it’s 2nd-and-6 because we’re not big enough and we’re not physical enough. So that’s going to be part of our plan.”

Mayhew wants to get bigger on Defense and I think everyone on this forum agrees with that. So I'm gonna run through 3 players I think we should target in the draft.

B.J. Raji - Boston College -323 lbs. DT - Top DT prospect, Other members have eluded to this, Our interior defense is small and the loss of shaun rogers has taken a toll on our D. I watch the ACC alot and this kid is a beast, the BC defense is completely different when this kid on the field he disrupts plays and makes it impossible for anyone to run to the inside. The only problem is I dont see him lasting till our 20-21st pick with the run on Linemen in the first round last year.

Rey Maualuga - USC- 6'3 -260 - ILB - There are some knocks on his discipline, missing gap assignments ect. but that can all be coached, it isn't often you find a player that will just lay a pounding on whoever has the ball. After watching our pitiful Defense this year we really need a player like him that is just pure instincts and demolishes anything he sees.

Aaron Curry - Wake Forest -OLB - 6' 3-247 lbs - Another player I've been watching in the ACC, I remember it all too well the only team to blow out FSU in 18 years. 30-0. 2006, the first time they beat us in 23 years. All the credit can go to their Defense, they have good corners but Aaron Curry Lit it up in all those games and I would love for us to Draft him.

The only problem is that none of these players are projected as a legitimate #1 pick and i doubt that they'll last till the cowboys pick so the only way I see I us nabbing any of them is if we're able to trade down and acquire more picks.

January 3rd, 2009, 5:10 pm
NFL Team Captain

What I wouldn't give to see all 3 of those kids in a Lions uniform. of course we all know just how ridiculous that sounds. It's a wet dream of epic proportions. :shock:

January 3rd, 2009, 7:27 pm
Team MVP

I want Maualuga and Raji also. Maualuga more than Curry. You're right about them not being taken with our #1, but if we COULD trade down I'd love to take Maualuga with our #1 then somehow with our 2nd 1st take Raji, trade up if we have to. We have too may critical positions to be wasting picks on quarterbacks, so i hope we're smart.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 4th, 2009, 12:52 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I'm not sold on Raji as much as others on here. He has talent and that can't be overlooked but at the same time his inability to stay academically eligible can't be ignored. That lack of effort on his part was a huge loss for BC last season. He rebounded this year but I'd have a hard time putting a lot of faith in a player that looks to put himself before the team. It's also been noted he isn't easily motivated and isn't overly coachable. I'd much rather get a couple of guys a little later in the draft. Guys like Taylor from Michigan and Brace also from BC and nearly as good as Raji. You line those two up next to each other and going up the middle should be a lot harder for opposing teams.

January 4th, 2009, 10:35 am
Pop Warner Vet

I like BJ Raji a lot. I don't know if we could get him at #20, but if he's still there around #16-#19, I wouldn't mind trading up to get him; it would probably mean trading our top-of-the-3rd for a mid-3rd round pick to move up several spots in the first from #20 overall.

January 5th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Team MVP

I like BJ Raji a lot. I don't know if we could get him at #20, but if he's still there around #16-#19, I wouldn't mind trading up to get him; it would probably mean trading our top-of-the-3rd for a mid-3rd round pick to move up several spots in the first from #20 overall.

I wouldnt mind doing that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 5th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

v1ly4 wrote:

We have so many holes I wouldn't trade up at all. People are calling this one of the deepest drafts ever (excluding QB) so we need as many picks as we can get. There will be alot of good players to chose from at #20 even if Raji is gone.

January 5th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

kdsberman wrote:
v1ly4 wrote:

We have so many holes I wouldn't trade up at all. People are calling this one of the deepest drafts ever (excluding QB) so we need as many picks as we can get. There will be alot of good players to chose from at #20 even if Raji is gone.
Also next years DT group is much better IMO.

January 6th, 2009, 1:18 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 6th, 2009, 8:25 am
National Champion

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Pro ... ian-Orakpo check out his profile video. He's probably the strongest DE to come out in a decade, that would be nice to have.

January 6th, 2009, 8:46 am
3rd Round Selection

Nevermind getting bigger, let's just learn to wrap up ...

January 6th, 2009, 10:15 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2009/Brian-Orakpo check out his profile video. He's probably the strongest DE to come out in a decade, that would be nice to have.

Mario Williams has literally picked a TE off the ground and thrown them at a QB

January 6th, 2009, 10:45 am
National Champion

Stallion, I can't argue with Williams as he is truly a freak of nature. He's 291 lbs, runs a 4.61 40 and was a great pickup. Choosing him at #1 would be easier than Orakpo, no doubt. I just think Orakpo is the best DE that will come out over the next few years. Orakpo weighs a little less, but has more muscle/fat, runs the same 40 time, We do have bigger needs, but I think he's the best d-lineman.

January 6th, 2009, 12:48 pm
QB Coach

I'd like Orakpo a lot better if it weren't for the knee injuries. I still think Oher will be the next Orlando Pace and I wouldn't be opposed to Bradford if they decide he has "it". I'm open to a few options.

January 6th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Pop Warner Vet

CMWSR wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
v1ly4 wrote:

Also next years DT group is much better IMO.

Do we stick with Chuck Darby at NT for 2009 then?

Shaun Cody is our only DT over 300 lbs (he's 310), and he's a backup. We're all set at UT with Redding and Fluellen. But I don't think we can stop the run with just small, fast, aggressive 290-something DT's. If there's a big 320+ prospect with first-round qualifications, I'd like to target him.

I don't like trading up if it means losing picks, but I think we keep our options open if a trade really seems worthwhile. If there's a guy we think has #12 overall value to us, and we ask ourselves "would we trade down 10 or 20 spots in the third to move up 8 spots in the first to get him, if we could?", I think the trade is worth it. Suppose that "#12 value" guy falls to #16. Now we only have to move up four spots to get him.

I think NT is the single biggest need on the team (but I don't want to start a debate, so say it's one of the biggest). A good one will make the entire defense better--he'll free up the LB's from having to take on OG's. That means fewer 3rd-and-shorts. This is pure wild speculation, and I hope we can upgrade both positions, but I think our defense would perform better with Raji protecting Paris Lennon at MLB from taking on OG's, than with Maualuga constantly being blocked by a big C or G because nobody upfront needs to be blocked by more than one O-Lineman.

Maybe Raji is the guy, maybe not. I really don't want to start buying completely into the "name hype" ("we just need to get this guy!") because it's obviously a guessing game with a lot of variables (trade value, sal cap considerations, depth at each position, etc), but I would be really satisfied to see us spend our first three picks getting bigger and younger on both lines (Smith-Raji-Mack/Robinson), with maybe a MLB in there if he's worth it, and if some good-value trade opportunities come along, let's take them.

January 7th, 2009, 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next