View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mayhew wants to get BIGGER on D 
Pop Warner Vet

Not to knock Orakpo, but doesn't he project to play the same role (pass-rushing RE) as Cliff Avril, who has shown a good amount of potential with us his rookie year?

Would we really want to draft another guy to fill the same position as a promising young rookie we already have, when we have so many other positions to upgrade? Or would Orakpo play LE (can he maintian the bulk/durability to be the "power end")?

January 7th, 2009, 11:54 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not to knock Orakpo, but doesn't he project to play the same role (pass-rushing RE) as Cliff Avril, who has shown a good amount of potential with us his rookie year?

Would we really want to draft another guy to fill the same position as a promising young rookie we already have, when we have so many other positions to upgrade? Or would Orakpo play LE (can he maintian the bulk/durability to be the "power end")?

I know it's different in the NFL, but Orakpo did line up at both DE spots this year alternating throughout the game so he does have experience on both sides.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 7th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stallion, I can't argue with Williams as he is truly a freak of nature. He's 291 lbs, runs a 4.61 40 and was a great pickup. Choosing him at #1 would be easier than Orakpo, no doubt. I just think Orakpo is the best DE that will come out over the next few years. Orakpo weighs a little less, but has more muscle/fat, runs the same 40 time, We do have bigger needs, but I think he's the best d-lineman.

I guess it depends on what you mean over the next few years. DaQuan Bowers will be in the same level as Mario. Carlos Dunlap would also elivate to a similar level.

Quote:

I believee some of it depends on scheme. I personally want to run a defense similar to the Giants and Eagles. It also uses quickers DL so some of our personel fit. I think Orakpo would play either end spot in a scheme like that. Also Avril could very likely move to SAM in a defense like that.

Quote:
Shaun Cody is our only DT over 300 lbs (he's 310), and he's a backup. We're all set at UT with Redding and Fluellen. But I don't think we can stop the run with just small, fast, aggressive 290-something DT's. If there's a big 320+ prospect with first-round qualifications, I'd like to target him.

I don't like trading up if it means losing picks, but I think we keep our options open if a trade really seems worthwhile. If there's a guy we think has #12 overall value to us, and we ask ourselves "would we trade down 10 or 20 spots in the third to move up 8 spots in the first to get him, if we could?", I think the trade is worth it. Suppose that "#12 value" guy falls to #16. Now we only have to move up four spots to get him.

I think NT is the single biggest need on the team (but I don't want to start a debate, so say it's one of the biggest). A good one will make the entire defense better--he'll free up the LB's from having to take on OG's. That means fewer 3rd-and-shorts. This is pure wild speculation, and I hope we can upgrade both positions, but I think our defense would perform better with Raji protecting Paris Lennon at MLB from taking on OG's, than with Maualuga constantly being blocked by a big C or G because nobody upfront needs to be blocked by more than one O-Lineman.

Maybe Raji is the guy, maybe not. I really don't want to start buying completely into the "name hype" ("we just need to get this guy!") because it's obviously a guessing game with a lot of variables (trade value, sal cap considerations, depth at each position, etc), but I would be really satisfied to see us spend our first three picks getting bigger and younger on both lines (Smith-Raji-Mack/Robinson), with maybe a MLB in there if he's worth it, and if some good-value trade opportunities come along, let's take them.

As I perviosly stated I would like to go with a giants/eagles defensive scheme. They both us smaller DT for the most part. The problem is they have to be good. I think Raji could fit in those schemes but I have some problems with him. He isn't the brightest guy around and he also gets by with pure talent.

I personally would go after Tank Johnson in FA. He has decent size and can get pressure very well. He showed ability to take up blackers playing NT in Dallas. You bring him in and maybe bring in a guy in the later rounds (I like both DT from Georgia Tech). If they don't make it draft a guy like Marvin Austin, Mount Cody, Vince Ohgobaase, Authur Jones, or maybe one of the other talents prospects for next year.

January 7th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Stadium Announcer

Our DE are not that bad that we need to waste that high of a pick on one. We have a very young line especially at DE. 2 of the 4 spots in our secondary however are completely empty. We have Bodden/bullocks and nothing at the other CB or S. I wouldnt mind adding some beef at Safety too. I like Kam Chancellor from VT.

January 7th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Our DE are not that bad that we need to waste that high of a pick on one. We have a very young line especially at DE. 2 of the 4 spots in our secondary however are completely empty. We have Bodden/bullocks and nothing at the other CB or S. I wouldnt mind adding some beef at Safety too. I like Kam Chancellor from VT.

I don't think picking a DE with our 1st overall would be a wasted pick. Avril has shown promise and White is pretty solid but 5-0 IMO will never be more than a career backup and It's always smart to have depth at DE, look at NY.

January 7th, 2009, 10:12 pm
Stadium Announcer

White Ramzee??
Francis looks alot deeper than K.Smith
Devries Fisher
C. Smith

And remember with nickel and dime packages u can have up to 6 sometimes even 7 defensive backs with 4 CBs On the field at once . as where u always have only 2 Ends(or less)

Defensive Backfield is way more important to have Quality depth than at DE.

January 7th, 2009, 11:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Shaun Cody is our only DT over 300 lbs (he's 310), and he's a backup. We're all set at UT with Redding and Fluellen. But I don't think we can stop the run with just small, fast, aggressive 290-something DT's. If there's a big 320+ prospect with first-round qualifications, I'd like to target him.

I don't like trading up if it means losing picks, but I think we keep our options open if a trade really seems worthwhile. If there's a guy we think has #12 overall value to us, and we ask ourselves "would we trade down 10 or 20 spots in the third to move up 8 spots in the first to get him, if we could?", I think the trade is worth it. Suppose that "#12 value" guy falls to #16. Now we only have to move up four spots to get him.

I think NT is the single biggest need on the team (but I don't want to start a debate, so say it's one of the biggest). A good one will make the entire defense better--he'll free up the LB's from having to take on OG's. That means fewer 3rd-and-shorts. This is pure wild speculation, and I hope we can upgrade both positions, but I think our defense would perform better with Raji protecting Paris Lennon at MLB from taking on OG's, than with Maualuga constantly being blocked by a big C or G because nobody upfront needs to be blocked by more than one O-Lineman.

Maybe Raji is the guy, maybe not. I really don't want to start buying completely into the "name hype" ("we just need to get this guy!") because it's obviously a guessing game with a lot of variables (trade value, sal cap considerations, depth at each position, etc), but I would be really satisfied to see us spend our first three picks getting bigger and younger on both lines (Smith-Raji-Mack/Robinson), with maybe a MLB in there if he's worth it, and if some good-value trade opportunities come along, let's take them.

Well said. Now I don't have to type up what I think.

January 8th, 2009, 2:05 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2