View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Prospecting the Fiesta Bowl 
NFL Veteran

Post Prospecting the Fiesta Bowl
Watched with great interest the defensive blue-chippers.

Brian Orakpo - DE Texas
Probably raised his stock the most. Seemingly quiet, but he drew double teams, that freed his team mates to make plays. Then served as the games closer with the last sack on Boekman. Most impressive considering they only rushed 3, and he beat a double maybe triple team, to seal the game.

Laurinits - MLB Ohio State
I can't believe he's supposed to be one of the best defensive players. He seemed slow, had poor reaction. Saw nothing special for him to warrant being a first round pick. I admit I haven't watched much OSU, but my only impression of him right now isn't very good.

Malcolm Jenkins - CB Ohio State
Pretty good. Not much opportunity to make plays, but McCoy was obviously aware of where he was, as Colt avoided throwing his direction as much as possible, was burnt once, but his man was overthrown out of bounds. As far as covering goes, he stuck to his man like glue, but I don't any of the Texas receivers are big time prospects.

Other players
Colt McCoy - QB Texas
Solid college QB. Very calm and composed under pressure leading them from behind to the win. I think his arm is weak to average, with poor touch, a lot of wobbly balls. Didn't throw deep often, but is pretty accurate in the short to medium game.

Beanie Wells - RB Ohio State
Before being pulled out of the game, the horns had no answer for him. Nice looking downhill runner who has deceptive speed to go with the power.

Kindle - DE Texas
Nice motor. Undersized though.

Terrel Pryor - QB Ohio State
The true freshman kid was the best athelete on the field. Scary to see what happens if he ever learns to pass. If he doesn't he might be Calvin Johnson lite. At 6'6 he plucked fade routes out of the sky with ease.

January 6th, 2009, 1:51 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Beanie is the bomb, he's going to be a solid pro. I kinda see him coming back another year though to raise his stock. He had a rough year with injuries.

Pryor can throw. He was a lot more frazzled this game than he is in most, but he's a true freshman, what is to be expected? I have great hopes for this kid.

JL showed what he has the whole year, he got worse from last year. He's a solid LB, worth a 2nd IMO. But he just doesn't have a presence about him that changes the game like he use to.

Jenkins is a stud. He's going to be a great corner.

McCoy... please I hope the Lions don't waste any pick on him...

January 6th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What does that say about your defense when Colt, (who you just said the Lions shouldn't draft) just drove his team down the field in the final 2 mins of the game to a victory?

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 6th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Modmin Dude

Steensn:

What does that say about your defense when Colt, (who you just said the Lions shouldn't draft) just drove his team down the field in the final 2 mins of the game to a victory?

They stink? :shock: j/k steensn, couldn't resist :wink:

As to Beanie Baby - from what I've been hearing, he's ALWAYS injured. If so, then IMO not a good recipe for an NFL RB....

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

Steensn:

NFL is not college. I don't think Colt is a bad QB, just not a good NFL prospect. Lots of GREAT college QB's did amazing things with the athletic talent they possessed. I just don't see NFL talent holding the football. He is a great college QB, but so was Joey Harrington, Troy Smith (who I didn't think would do much), Ryan Leaf, etc. The list is endless...

January 6th, 2009, 3:54 pm
NFL Veteran

Nope Colt is not a NFL QB. He reminds me of Sims A lot. Third stringer at best.

Pryor's development is critical. I notice that athletic QB's often get away with using their escapability to the detriment of their passing game. He did that too much in the Fiesta Bowl. Typically, by necessity, less mobile QB's have no choice but to rely on their protection and their own arm. So even if Pryor has the ability and the threat to run, he really needs to stay disciplined and wait for his receivers.

Beanie would be a good complement to Kevin Smith. I think it's pretty standard now in the NFL to have a stable of good backs who have different specialties. The days of the feature back are a thing of the past.

I forgot to mention that Jenkins had another crucial mistake. The one where he was burned was forgivable because the ball flew out of bounds. The other one was not so forgivable because he took a poor angle on a tackle on McCoy, and he kind of speared rather than wrapped up, which allowed McCoy to do his nifty spin move allowing him to waltz in the end zone. I don't really dock Jenkins much for it because they were a couple of mistakes that exemplify how a few mistakes can be extremely costly for a cornerback. He's still a great cover corner who altered Texas offensive game plan more than any other OSU player, that impact alone is huge.

January 6th, 2009, 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Nope Colt is not a NFL QB. He reminds me of Sims A lot. Third stringer at best.

Pryor's development is critical. I notice that athletic QB's often get away with using their escapability to the detriment of their passing game. He did that too much in the Fiesta Bowl. Typically, by necessity, less mobile QB's have no choice but to rely on their protection and their own arm. So even if Pryor has the ability and the threat to run, he really needs to stay disciplined and wait for his receivers.

Beanie would be a good complement to Kevin Smith. I think it's pretty standard now in the NFL to have a stable of good backs who have different specialties. The days of the feature back are a thing of the past.

I forgot to mention that Jenkins had another crucial mistake. The one where he was burned was forgivable because the ball flew out of bounds. The other one was not so forgivable because he took a poor angle on a tackle on McCoy, and he kind of speared rather than wrapped up, which allowed McCoy to do his nifty spin move allowing him to waltz in the end zone. I don't really dock Jenkins much for it because they were a couple of mistakes that exemplify how a few mistakes can be extremely costly for a cornerback. He's still a great cover corner who altered Texas offensive game plan more than any other OSU player, that impact alone is huge.

Jenkins got owed on that non-tackle. He should have stopped that run. It was a nicely timed move by McCoy, but not enough to take what should have been a sure tackle. Jenkins is not one to usually miss a tackle like that, just so happens to be in the last game of his college career.

Beanie would be a GREAT combination back with Kevin Smith. I just don't think he'll last till pick 20 and I don't think he helps our team to trade up for him.

January 6th, 2009, 6:40 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

We would liekly have to take Beanie in the 1st. I would much rather pick up Shonne Green from Iowa. The kid is a freak.

January 8th, 2009, 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]