View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Declared Underclassmen 
Modmin Dude

Post Declared Underclassmen
(Sorry, couldn't think of a better heading/title :oops:
also sorry if duplicate)

CFT wrote:
GEORGIA LOSING MORENO, STAFFORD
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2009, 11:39 a.m. EST
During an appearance last week on The Dan Patrick Show (yes, I’m as big of a name-dropping douche at CFT as I am at my primary online residence), I pointed out that, regardless of Commissioner Roger Goodell’s effort to stop the flow of underclassmen into the 2009 NFL draft by pointing out that the rookie pay structure won’t change in 2010, guys will still come out in droves this year.

Why? Because the people pushing them to make the jump won’t be e-mailing to them a link to Goodell’s comments.

Though it’s unclear whether Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno or Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford are aware that the potential windfall will still be there next year at this time, they’re not planning to see if the cash cow will still be spraying Yoo-hoo (and money) in 2010.

Per Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com, they’re both entering the NFL draft.

Stafford could be the first pick in the draft. And despite the prospects of playing for the Lions, Stafford is still coming out.

The NFL limits draft eligibility to players who are three years removed from the graduation of their high school classes.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009 ... -stafford/

Last edited by TheRealWags on April 29th, 2009, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Seminoles DE Brown to go pro Comment Email Print By Joe Schad
ESPN.com
Archive
Florida State junior defensive end Everette Brown told ESPN on Wednesday that he will enter the NFL draft.

Brown, 6 feet 4 and 252 pounds, had 13½ sacks this season and 21½ tackles for losses, ranking among the nation's leaders.

Brown will be one of the top speed rushers in the NFL draft. Scouts Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Brown rated as the ninth player in his Top 32.

"This is a business decision," Brown said Wednesday. "I can bring the whole package as far as a guy who can get up the field quickly and will also study the playbook everyday and work hard."

Brown said he's been told he could be among the first 20 picks in the draft. "I have always tried to take a little bit from the great Florida State pass rushers of the past, such as Andre Wadsworth, Peter Boulware and Kameron Wimbley," Brown said. "Those are the guys I learned from."

Brown has already graduated from Florida State. He is a Walter Camp All-American and first-team All-ACC selection.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/n ... id=3816004

Also since we are putting in guys that are declaring, i figured we could put guys that decided to stay.

Standout DE Selvie Will Return To USF by Brett McMurphy, Tampa Tribune, Fla. , Tampa Tribune

Updated: January 7, 2009, 7:30 AM EST add this RSS blog email Print Jan. 7--TAMPA -- University of South Florida junior defensive end George Selvie didn't hear what he expected from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee, so he will return to USF for his senior season.

Information provided by the draft committee indicated Selvie "would not be selected" in the first three rounds, USF coach Jim Leavitt told Selvie.
"Leavitt told me they didn't have me going as high as we thought," said Selvie, USF's first two-time All-American.

Two months ago, Todd McShay of ESPN and Scouts Inc., who ranked Selvie as the nation's third-best pass rusher, and Michael Detillier of M&D Draft Report both projected Selvie as a mid-to-late first-round choice.

"It was kind of surprising and disappointing," Selvie said. "Now it makes me want to work even harder for next season.

"I can work on getting bigger, stronger, using better technique; just getting better overall. I talked to a lot of people, including my family, prayed on it and took a lot of things into consideration. This was the best decision."

As a sophomore, Selvie had 14.5 sacks, was a consensus All-American and was named Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Last year, Selvie suffered a high ankle sprain in USF's fourth game at Florida International. It plagued him all season. He missed parts of three games, but finished with 5.0 sacks and earned All-Big East honors.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Selvie said he will use the projection as motivation.

"We didn't reach all of our goals this year," Selvie said of USF's 8-5 season. "Next year, our senior class, we have to go through the whole season strong. We can't get up to No. 10 or No. 2 and then fall back."

USF, FSU SERIES IN WORKS: USF and Florida State officials have had discussions about a home-and-home series that would start this fall in Tallahassee.

The Bulls' 2009 schedule is done, but USF is willing to substitute a road game -- most likely at Indiana -- to play at FSU. The Seminoles only have 11 games and need another home game.

It is not known when the return game would be played in Tampa. The Seminoles last played in Tampa in 1979, against Arizona State. USF athletic director Doug Woolard does not comment on future schedules. FSU athletic director Randy Spetman could not be reached.

The teams also had discussed a neutral-site game at Jacksonville this fall, but FSU needed a home game and it couldn't get worked out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9042 ... rn-To-USF-

January 7th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Just say NO to Stafford or any QB with our 1st pick. We need players that can contribute NOW, not sit the bench for 2-3yrs.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 7th, 2009, 2:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Selvie did the right thing by saying he will return to school. He did not have a good year and could use next season to build upon his resume for the NFL.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 7th, 2009, 2:54 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Selvie did the right thing by saying he will return to school. He did not have a good year and could use next season to build upon his resume for the NFL.

I heard USF was going to start playing Miami and FSU next year also, could be a chance to prove himself aganist better teams as well.

January 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

Stafford has a once in a decade type of arm and has run a pro-style offense for three years. I dont understand the fear of drafting him. Andre Smith has BUST written all over him. Yes, we need help on the O-line....BUT AT GUARD!!!! Mulitalo was a joke and peterman was no better. Give us 3 new guards and our line could be Great really quick.Levitre,Canfield,and tyrone Green are great options in the 3rd round.
1a Stafford
1b alphonso smith/V.davis
2 LB/S (Chancellor,Chung,Spikes,)
3a OG (we need both left and right hopefully we can get one in free agency,pretty good year at guard in FA

3b WR/RB (Igleseus, Britt,Massoqoi,Spiller,

January 7th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Stafford has a once in a decade type of arm and has run a pro-style offense for three years. I dont understand the fear of drafting him. Andre Smith has BUST written all over him. Yes, we need help on the O-line....BUT AT GUARD!!!! Mulitalo was a joke and peterman was no better. Give us 3 new guards and our line could be Great really quick.Levitre,Canfield,and tyrone Green are great options in the 3rd round.
1a Stafford
3a OG (we need both left and right hopefully we can get one in free agency,pretty good year at guard in FA

Once in a decade arm? You are kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaUwBGy ... re=related

I see very little difference between Jamarcus Russell and Matt Stafford. Whether you think its good or bad, its to your discretion.

January 7th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Stadium Announcer

Matt Staffords arm is that good. You can find alot of tape on him on youtube alone(like over 45 min worth) watch all the tape u can and u will see the "little things" like throwing off the back foot,different types of releases, hiding the ball with ball fakes,stepping up in the pocket and easily throw the ball 55 yards with accuracy(great to go with calvin) and one of the greatest things he does is sell the screen. he is very effective at throwing the screen pass. and if u watch his devolopment over his 3 yrs of college you notice that he is actualyy a really good runner......he just has a past first mentality, which i like in a QB.

January 7th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Veteran General Manager

1a Stafford

Jamarcus Russell was also a once in a decade arm. So, I guess that makes them both a twice in a decade arm. And actually every year there is a QB that people say has a once in a decade arm.
Just say no to players we can't keep in the upright position.

January 7th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Veteran General Manager

Matt Staffords arm is that good. You can find alot of tape on him on youtube alone(like over 45 min worth) watch all the tape u can and u will see the "little things" like throwing off the back foot,different types of releases, hiding the ball with ball fakes,stepping up in the pocket and easily throw the ball 55 yards with accuracy(great to go with calvin) and one of the greatest things he does is sell the screen. he is very effective at throwing the screen pass. and if u watch his devolopment over his 3 yrs of college you notice that he is actualyy a really good runner......he just has a past first mentality, which i like in a QB.

You put him on the Lions and there will be plenty of tape on him. TRAINERS TAPE DUE TO ALL THE BRUISING AND SPRANGS

January 7th, 2009, 11:21 pm
NFL Veteran

He's smart to go out now because there's not much competition. However, he won't be able to play right away. Historically, the NFL Ready QB's are seniors who've had a lot of reps. See Flacco, Matt Ryan, Big Ben...

Underdeveloped guys don't transition well. See Jamarcus Russell.

Crazy thing is he's only a sophomore. I honestly really like the tools he has for sure, but history tells me to avoid him.

January 7th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

The hardest transitions QBs have to make in the pros is taking snaps from under center. learning 3 5 and 7 step drops is where rookie QBs often flop.Stafford has run a pro style offense with multiple backfields for 3 years. Tebow McCoy and Bradford all take almost all there snaps from shotgun. And some "Seniors" only have one or 2 year of on field experience. I will rather take a junior with 3

January 7th, 2009, 11:41 pm
NFL Veteran

Sheesh, not posting in a long time I'm way off my form.

Stafford is a Junior not Soph. (Must've confused him with Tebow)

Big Ben was an early entrant JR.

Nevertheless, I can't ignore the fact that, besides Roethlisberger, there is no history of success of underclassman QB's.

There's still a great deal of risk with Staff. He hasn't exactly lit anyone up. And he's only demonstrated +60% accuracy this year. You could practically label him a one hit wonder. I'd feel a lot better, and I'm sure scouts would feel a lot better about who he really is if he went back to school for his senior year.

But like I said, from a business standpoint, he's going in at the right time there's not much competition out there. Not sure the Lions should be the one's to test fate on this one. I do like him, but I don't know about using the no. 1 pick on him.[/code]

January 8th, 2009, 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stafford is a Junior not Soph. (Must've confused him with Tebow)

I believe Tebow is a junior. Bradford is a soph.

January 8th, 2009, 12:33 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Quarterbacks with accuracy issues are the QBs with trouble making the transition. Stafford barely graced 61% completion percentage in this, his third season. All season he has had issues reading coverage and forcing passes in tight places. He is a project QB.

January 8th, 2009, 12:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next