View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 2:42 am



Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Declared Underclassmen 
Author Message
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
My mistake AGAIN!

you know when you think something and the words coming out are totally different.

Quote:
Quarterbacks with accuracy issues are the QBs with trouble making the transition. Stafford barely graced 61% completion percentage in this, his third season. All season he has had issues reading coverage and forcing passes in tight places. He is a project QB.


Exactly! QB's need to demonstrate consistency, particulary with accuracy. One hit wonders never succeed in the nfl.


January 8th, 2009, 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Joined: December 8th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Posts: 785
Post 
Stafford reminds me of Grossman kind of.


January 8th, 2009, 1:17 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
In this market, there are only underclassman QB's which kind of sucks.

Either Stafford or Bradford should fall to the 20th pick. I'd have no qualms picking them there.


January 8th, 2009, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I can ALMOST dig Stafford at pick 20 if he is there and there are no major standouts. I just don't see QB as our greatest need, but if talent is there you take it.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 8th, 2009, 3:06 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: December 8th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Posts: 785
Post 
At another forum were keeping a list of confirmed underclassmen going pro. Heres what we have so far.

QB Matt Stafford Georgia
QB Josh Freemen KSU
RB Donald Brown Connecticut
RB Shonn Green Iowa
RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia
RB P.J. Hill Wisconson
WR Hakeem Nicks North Carolina
WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
WR Kevin Ogletree Virginia
WR Darius Heyward Bey Maryland
TE James Casey Rice
TE TE Jared Cook South Carolina
OL Andre Smith Alabama
DL Ricky Jean-Francois LSU
DE Everette Brown Florida State
LB Eric Norwood SC
LB Gerald McRath Southern Miss
CB Captain Munnerlyn SC
CB D.J. Moore Vandy
S Emanuel Cook SC


January 8th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3171
Location: Maryland
Post 
Quote:
BUH-BYE, BEANIE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2009, 4:12 p.m. EST

A weekafter giving strong hints that he might return to Ohio State for another season, running back Beanie Wells has made it known that he’s taking his talents to the NFL.

Wells announced on Thursday that he’ll leave school and enter the April draft.

Prior to the Vandalay Fiesta Bowl, Wells created the impression that he viewed his work in Columbus as unfinished.

“I personally feel like I haven’t done enough at Ohio State, the things I wanted to accomplish here, to move on to the next level,” Wells said.

“I don’t want to say I’m leaning toward staying or I’m leaning toward going. All I’m saying is I do want to be the best Buckeye to ever come through here.”

If that was his goal, then he clearly has failed.

Hopefully, his NFL career will go a bit better than that of a recent former Buckeye who was drafted in round three by the Broncos.



http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/n ... id=3819447


January 8th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I'd jet if i were him too. RB's don't have a long life and his running style will make his even shorter. He is for sure a first rounder and should get his money while he can. No reason to stay another year and possibly end up with a REAL big injury.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 8th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
hamma77 wrote:
At another forum were keeping a list of confirmed underclassmen going pro. Heres what we have so far.

QB Matt Stafford Georgia
QB Josh Freemen KSU
RB Donald Brown Connecticut
RB Shonn Green Iowa
RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia
RB P.J. Hill Wisconson
WR Hakeem Nicks North Carolina
WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
WR Kevin Ogletree Virginia
WR Darius Heyward Bey Maryland
TE James Casey Rice
TE TE Jared Cook South Carolina
OL Andre Smith Alabama
DL Ricky Jean-Francois LSU
DE Everette Brown Florida State
LB Eric Norwood SC
LB Gerald McRath Southern Miss
CB Captain Munnerlyn SC
CB D.J. Moore Vandy
S Emanuel Cook SC


Maybe SI will keep this link updated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/01/06/early.entries/index.html


January 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.


January 9th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: December 27th, 2006, 4:53 pm
Posts: 693
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.


Only the people clueless about what a Quarterback is would think that.


January 10th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.


Why then would Cincinatti draft Carson Palmer when they had a stable veteran in Kitna at the time? It was to allow the offense to use the whole playbook with the deep pass that Kitna could not physically execute. The big arm itself is not the presumption of success, but that big arm changes the game for the team with that weapon in the offense. Its obvious that there are successful QBs without that cannon, any of us could list a pile of them. With CJ on this team, a QB with a big arm makes a lot of sense to me. Do you remember the Green Bay playoff loss where Favre was scrambling for his life and threw that bomb to Sharpe where the CB left the reciever because the CB thought 'no one could throw it that far..'

I saw lots of occasions this year where CJ or even Roy when he was here were open and had to wait or adjust back to the ball because the QB couldn't get it there. It's almost like deep speed for a WR or a RB. You don't HAVE to have 4.38 speed in your RB, but the game is different when you do.

The trick is being able to discern if Stafford is the next Jay Cutler or if he's the next Kyle Boller. The Lions must determine that, and choose based on that exercise. If you have doubts, pass. If you think he's Carson Palmer II, take him. Don't trick yourself into it.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


January 11th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3119
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.


Why then would Cincinatti draft Carson Palmer when they had a stable veteran in Kitna at the time? It was to allow the offense to use the whole playbook with the deep pass that Kitna could not physically execute. The big arm itself is not the presumption of success, but that big arm changes the game for the team with that weapon in the offense. Its obvious that there are successful QBs without that cannon, any of us could list a pile of them. With CJ on this team, a QB with a big arm makes a lot of sense to me. Do you remember the Green Bay playoff loss where Favre was scrambling for his life and threw that bomb to Sharpe where the CB left the reciever because the CB thought 'no one could throw it that far..'

I saw lots of occasions this year where CJ or even Roy when he was here were open and had to wait or adjust back to the ball because the QB couldn't get it there. It's almost like deep speed for a WR or a RB. You don't HAVE to have 4.38 speed in your RB, but the game is different when you do.

The trick is being able to discern if Stafford is the next Jay Cutler or if he's the next Kyle Boller. The Lions must determine that, and choose based on that exercise. If you have doubts, pass. If you think he's Carson Palmer II, take him. Don't trick yourself into it.

It's interesting to me that you think Cutler is successful but Palmer isn't. What has Cutler done that makes him a good QB that Palmer hasn't done?

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


January 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.


Why then would Cincinatti draft Carson Palmer when they had a stable veteran in Kitna at the time? It was to allow the offense to use the whole playbook with the deep pass that Kitna could not physically execute. The big arm itself is not the presumption of success, but that big arm changes the game for the team with that weapon in the offense. Its obvious that there are successful QBs without that cannon, any of us could list a pile of them. With CJ on this team, a QB with a big arm makes a lot of sense to me. Do you remember the Green Bay playoff loss where Favre was scrambling for his life and threw that bomb to Sharpe where the CB left the reciever because the CB thought 'no one could throw it that far..'

I saw lots of occasions this year where CJ or even Roy when he was here were open and had to wait or adjust back to the ball because the QB couldn't get it there. It's almost like deep speed for a WR or a RB. You don't HAVE to have 4.38 speed in your RB, but the game is different when you do.

The trick is being able to discern if Stafford is the next Jay Cutler or if he's the next Kyle Boller. The Lions must determine that, and choose based on that exercise. If you have doubts, pass. If you think he's Carson Palmer II, take him. Don't trick yourself into it.

It's interesting to me that you think Cutler is successful but Palmer isn't. What has Cutler done that makes him a good QB that Palmer hasn't done?

I don't think I said that, I certainly didn't mean to if thats what you infer from what I wrote. My thinking is that if the Lions think that Stafford is the next Carson Palmer, they draft him. If he's really more like Kyle Boller, don't trick yourself into equating that with a Carson Palmer just because of the arm. If they have doubts about Stafford being that good, don't take him at #1 overall.

I hope that clarifies my position.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


January 12th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
IMHO if you think the qb you are about to draft is the next Carson Palmer, pass. What has he done that is better than any mediocre qb in the league? Now, if you are drafting the next Payton Manning, come talk to me.


January 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post 
faulkn22 wrote:
IMHO if you think the qb you are about to draft is the next Carson Palmer, pass. What has he done that is better than any mediocre qb in the league? Now, if you are drafting the next Payton Manning, come talk to me.


Good thing you don't make the decision.

Carson Palmer has been an above average QB on one of the worst teams of the past Decade. He doesnt look good because they dont win games, but HE is not the issue.

His main weapon is a Head Case (Mr Ocho Stinko). And he has no defense because marvin lewis ran that team into the ground.

Im not saying Carson is the best ever but Id say they have gotten exactly what the expected when they drafted him. The rest of their team just sucks.

_________________
Time to Move on from the Schwartz Era. My Favorite Offense Minded Coaching Candidates: O'Brien, Whisenhunt, John Gruden, Jay Gruden, David Shaw, Tom Coughlin


January 12th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.