View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Declared Underclassmen 
NFL Veteran

you know when you think something and the words coming out are totally different.

Quote:
Quarterbacks with accuracy issues are the QBs with trouble making the transition. Stafford barely graced 61% completion percentage in this, his third season. All season he has had issues reading coverage and forcing passes in tight places. He is a project QB.

Exactly! QB's need to demonstrate consistency, particulary with accuracy. One hit wonders never succeed in the nfl.

January 8th, 2009, 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

January 8th, 2009, 1:17 pm
NFL Veteran

In this market, there are only underclassman QB's which kind of sucks.

Either Stafford or Bradford should fall to the 20th pick. I'd have no qualms picking them there.

January 8th, 2009, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I can ALMOST dig Stafford at pick 20 if he is there and there are no major standouts. I just don't see QB as our greatest need, but if talent is there you take it.

January 8th, 2009, 3:06 pm
Heisman Winner

At another forum were keeping a list of confirmed underclassmen going pro. Heres what we have so far.

QB Matt Stafford Georgia
QB Josh Freemen KSU
RB Donald Brown Connecticut
RB Shonn Green Iowa
RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia
RB P.J. Hill Wisconson
WR Hakeem Nicks North Carolina
WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
WR Kevin Ogletree Virginia
WR Darius Heyward Bey Maryland
TE James Casey Rice
TE TE Jared Cook South Carolina
OL Andre Smith Alabama
DL Ricky Jean-Francois LSU
DE Everette Brown Florida State
LB Eric Norwood SC
LB Gerald McRath Southern Miss
CB Captain Munnerlyn SC
CB D.J. Moore Vandy
S Emanuel Cook SC

January 8th, 2009, 4:09 pm
QB Coach

BUH-BYE, BEANIE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2009, 4:12 p.m. EST

A weekafter giving strong hints that he might return to Ohio State for another season, running back Beanie Wells has made it known that he’s taking his talents to the NFL.

Wells announced on Thursday that he’ll leave school and enter the April draft.

Prior to the Vandalay Fiesta Bowl, Wells created the impression that he viewed his work in Columbus as unfinished.

“I personally feel like I haven’t done enough at Ohio State, the things I wanted to accomplish here, to move on to the next level,” Wells said.

“I don’t want to say I’m leaning toward staying or I’m leaning toward going. All I’m saying is I do want to be the best Buckeye to ever come through here.”

If that was his goal, then he clearly has failed.

Hopefully, his NFL career will go a bit better than that of a recent former Buckeye who was drafted in round three by the Broncos.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/n ... id=3819447

January 8th, 2009, 5:31 pm
RIP Killer

I'd jet if i were him too. RB's don't have a long life and his running style will make his even shorter. He is for sure a first rounder and should get his money while he can. No reason to stay another year and possibly end up with a REAL big injury.

January 8th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

At another forum were keeping a list of confirmed underclassmen going pro. Heres what we have so far.

QB Matt Stafford Georgia
QB Josh Freemen KSU
RB Donald Brown Connecticut
RB Shonn Green Iowa
RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia
RB P.J. Hill Wisconson
WR Hakeem Nicks North Carolina
WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
WR Kevin Ogletree Virginia
WR Darius Heyward Bey Maryland
TE James Casey Rice
TE TE Jared Cook South Carolina
OL Andre Smith Alabama
DL Ricky Jean-Francois LSU
DE Everette Brown Florida State
LB Eric Norwood SC
LB Gerald McRath Southern Miss
CB Captain Munnerlyn SC
CB D.J. Moore Vandy
S Emanuel Cook SC

Maybe SI will keep this link updated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/01/06/early.entries/index.html

January 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm
RIP Killer

I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.

January 9th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I cannot understand why people think a big arm makes a successful QB in the NFL. There have been PLENTY of strong armed QBs who just couldn't cut it. I can recall a guy that tried out for the Lions with the nickname of "Slingshot" who was reputed to be able to throw the ball 80 yards or more in the air. He never played a down in the NFL....didn't even get a chance to hold a clipboard.

A big armed QB being presumed to be a successful NFL QB is the same as presuming a guy who can drive the ball 350 yards will be a successful golfer in the PGA. There's more to the game than that, and especially so for a quarterback. If having a big arm was the only thing needed, then instead of drafting Stafford we could just sign Dante longterm. I don't think Stafford's arm is much stronger than Culpeppers.....if at all.

Only the people clueless about what a Quarterback is would think that.

January 10th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Heisman Winner

Why then would Cincinatti draft Carson Palmer when they had a stable veteran in Kitna at the time? It was to allow the offense to use the whole playbook with the deep pass that Kitna could not physically execute. The big arm itself is not the presumption of success, but that big arm changes the game for the team with that weapon in the offense. Its obvious that there are successful QBs without that cannon, any of us could list a pile of them. With CJ on this team, a QB with a big arm makes a lot of sense to me. Do you remember the Green Bay playoff loss where Favre was scrambling for his life and threw that bomb to Sharpe where the CB left the reciever because the CB thought 'no one could throw it that far..'

I saw lots of occasions this year where CJ or even Roy when he was here were open and had to wait or adjust back to the ball because the QB couldn't get it there. It's almost like deep speed for a WR or a RB. You don't HAVE to have 4.38 speed in your RB, but the game is different when you do.

The trick is being able to discern if Stafford is the next Jay Cutler or if he's the next Kyle Boller. The Lions must determine that, and choose based on that exercise. If you have doubts, pass. If you think he's Carson Palmer II, take him. Don't trick yourself into it.

January 11th, 2009, 10:22 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:

Why then would Cincinatti draft Carson Palmer when they had a stable veteran in Kitna at the time? It was to allow the offense to use the whole playbook with the deep pass that Kitna could not physically execute. The big arm itself is not the presumption of success, but that big arm changes the game for the team with that weapon in the offense. Its obvious that there are successful QBs without that cannon, any of us could list a pile of them. With CJ on this team, a QB with a big arm makes a lot of sense to me. Do you remember the Green Bay playoff loss where Favre was scrambling for his life and threw that bomb to Sharpe where the CB left the reciever because the CB thought 'no one could throw it that far..'

I saw lots of occasions this year where CJ or even Roy when he was here were open and had to wait or adjust back to the ball because the QB couldn't get it there. It's almost like deep speed for a WR or a RB. You don't HAVE to have 4.38 speed in your RB, but the game is different when you do.

The trick is being able to discern if Stafford is the next Jay Cutler or if he's the next Kyle Boller. The Lions must determine that, and choose based on that exercise. If you have doubts, pass. If you think he's Carson Palmer II, take him. Don't trick yourself into it.

It's interesting to me that you think Cutler is successful but Palmer isn't. What has Cutler done that makes him a good QB that Palmer hasn't done?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm
Heisman Winner

jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

It's interesting to me that you think Cutler is successful but Palmer isn't. What has Cutler done that makes him a good QB that Palmer hasn't done?

I don't think I said that, I certainly didn't mean to if thats what you infer from what I wrote. My thinking is that if the Lions think that Stafford is the next Carson Palmer, they draft him. If he's really more like Kyle Boller, don't trick yourself into equating that with a Carson Palmer just because of the arm. If they have doubts about Stafford being that good, don't take him at #1 overall.

I hope that clarifies my position.

January 12th, 2009, 9:36 pm
National Champion

IMHO if you think the qb you are about to draft is the next Carson Palmer, pass. What has he done that is better than any mediocre qb in the league? Now, if you are drafting the next Payton Manning, come talk to me.

January 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

IMHO if you think the qb you are about to draft is the next Carson Palmer, pass. What has he done that is better than any mediocre qb in the league? Now, if you are drafting the next Payton Manning, come talk to me.

Good thing you don't make the decision.

Carson Palmer has been an above average QB on one of the worst teams of the past Decade. He doesnt look good because they dont win games, but HE is not the issue.

His main weapon is a Head Case (Mr Ocho Stinko). And he has no defense because marvin lewis ran that team into the ground.

Im not saying Carson is the best ever but Id say they have gotten exactly what the expected when they drafted him. The rest of their team just sucks.

January 12th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next