View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Mike Williams Conundrum 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Prisco's rating are nearly identical: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/WR

April 20th, 2005, 5:42 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Mike Williams is another example of people getting too involved in 40 times and workouts. Hey they dont bench press on the fifty! Look at the guy in games he dominates. I think it would be a great addition to the Lions if DJ isnt there. How are you gonna match up against Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, and Mike Williams???? Oh and then add Kevin Jones, and Markus Pollard, you cant cover all of em. An argument could be made if the lions get MW that they got the best receiver every year the last 3 drafts. Enough of the combine workouts watch the game.

April 20th, 2005, 6:57 am
Site Admin

I realize that he has possesion receiver written all over him. And that is EXACTLY what the lions need. Red Zone and 3rd downs...if you improve those two areas with the addition of Mike Williams which almost everyone agrees he would then we win an additional 2-3 games. I understand we are talking first round and most experts look at these guys as your go to man...the top receiver but we are not looking for that. Him as a 2nd or 3rd receiver would be phenominal. If he can run 7 yards turn and catch than we are a much better team. His size will allow him to position himself better vs a 5-10 corner (which they all seem to be :lol: ) very nicely in a short yardage situation. In fact because the Lions have 2 recievers similar to Bralaen (sp?) I would prefer Mike over them. I said this before but the Lions have their speed...they need a guy they can count on to make catches to convert 3rd downs and I think a huge target with great hands like him would fit perfectly. But that is because I am not looking for a number one blow the doors off receiver...we have a few of those. Crog, Roy, and Az are all extremely fast.

You can look at so many guys that have come out that didn't fit the mold that tore it up. I remember hearing Barry Sanders was "too small". An like upnorth said you can run around in spandex really fast but in a game situation when you are hauling around in pads with people trying to clean your clock it's completely different. Wasn't is Boller that could throw 50 yards kneeling or something stupid? That's pretty cool, but doesn't translate too well on the field. How many guys are said to have the tools but never do anything with them?

Anyways, I like him a lot because he could play a major role on our team without being the main man. He would give our offense a dimension that these other receivers won't. Plus our receivers would be like 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 :shock: This is just a feeling for me much as it is with you so only time will tell. There are no real accurate predictors of success or failure that anyone can point to. I would be psyched if we got him because we need depth at receiver more than anything else anyways IMO but he from what I have seen will not be there.

We will see come Saturday :twisted:

Now if we could swing Pollack and MW you and I could both be happy :lol:

April 20th, 2005, 9:32 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Having a solid 3rd down receiver like Williams could let the Lions take an UDFA TE or a late round TE (round 6)? Pollard would be a good target for this year and next, but by then, hopefully a reliable TE would be ready to take his spot.

What about Fitz? Why hasn't he re-signed yet? I can't believe they're going into the draft with only 1 TE.

How would that affect the cap in 4 years if we had 3 top-10 WRs on the roster. When it comes time to re-sign, wouldn't that play hell on the cap, especially if they were all very solid WRs? I would love to see Mike as a Lion though; WR or TE, I don't care.

April 20th, 2005, 9:42 am
Site Admin

I don't think it would kill the cap. You have to think that your premier receiver gets the numbers and justifies the pay. And the numbers of the others will play out based upon their performance as well. Crog at this point certainly cannot demand a huge contract and we still have to see Roy last a year. Unless they all came in and had 1500 10 TD years at the same time I wouldn't worry about it. And if they did I think we all would happily accept the havoc because if you have that kind of out put you are a top team. No matter who we take at that pick their contracts will fall within a range whether it be a kicker or a QB. So I would rather put that money into a skills guy who will change the dynamics of our offense.

April 20th, 2005, 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

I see both sides of it I suppose. I understand for a slot receiver you can go deeper and pick up a Chris Henry in the 3rd or even later. But we also have to think that the slot is not a for sure role here. Az can go down, Rogers could die, and Roy could get hurt. I am not thrilled with having a guy named Roscoe hat40.gif being our # 1 d00d :shock:

April 20th, 2005, 10:43 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
Gil seems to agree with me. According to his rankings Clayton is #2 and Williams #4, or a late first rounder.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/wr

The guy is a flat out playmaker and the only thing we have to rate that are eyeballs and results. Anybody standing on the playground picking teams is lying if they say they wouldn't love to have his game on thier team. I'll take Mike Williams on my squad and you'll be throw'n those charts up in the air why'll Mikey boy's light'em on fire. Don't you guys remember, did one year make you forget and I don't even like USC. As long as that guy puts pads on he's gonna make plays period... The silly thing is he has a stellar resume that we have all seen. He didn't beat up on Juco talent he beat up on three DB's from Michigan who are in this years draft just to point out a few top prospects that he torched and he was a sophmore! I'm not trying to disrespect anybody's opinion on here I'm just confused why people sit back and needle away on someone when they clearly are a gifted athlete and have not done anything to make any of us to believe otherwise. People want to compare him to Keyshawn and that in itself isn't to bad cause even though Keyshawn's a head case he has still been a probowl caliber player, most players would be so lucky. Keyshawn has never been as athletic or dominant a player as Mike Williams.I guess we'll find out but if he was there at 10 i'd take him D. Johnson didn't role up on the Maize & Blue but he sure did...

April 20th, 2005, 11:44 am
League MVP

April 20th, 2005, 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2