View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Trading #1 overall. A posibility. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Trading #1 overall. A posibility.
Let me begin with a concept.

" All it takes is for 1 team to fall in love with 1 player, and you have the foundation for a trade."

I think we can find that 1 team. The New York Jets.

The Jets own the #17 overall pick. The Jets are in a unique situation for us to capitalize on. They have a ready made team that has only 1 major hole on it.

QB :!: Bret Favre. Does he stay? If so, for how long. If he goes, the Jets are in deep deep trouble next year.

The Jets, like everyone else, saw Matt Ryan and Joe Flacko (sp?) flurish this year. Maybe, just maybe they think that with the rest of their team already in place, that they can win with a rookie QB.

Therefore, I think we can move the #1 overall a boatload of the Jets draft picks this year. Say, Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

Would you do it if the opportunity presented itself? I would, in a heartbeat.

We would still have:
2 first rounders
gain an extra 2nd rounder
gain a third 3rd rounder
and get a replacement 4th rounder for the one we gave Dallas.

That's 7 picks in the first 3 rounds, 8 in the first 4 rounds.
We could get a damn good start at a rebuild with that.

January 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

12 views and no-one has an opinion on this?

17 views now and no comments.

I can only assume that everyone agrees that it is a strong possibility or it is so stupid that it's not worthy of comment.

January 10th, 2009, 1:47 pm
QB Coach

Would I do it? Absolutely. But it's not going to happen. There is no way in hell they would give up their first 4 picks to move up. You're smoking some serious crack rock if you believe that. I think that's why nobody has responded. It's a ridiculous proposal.

While you're at it, why didn't you propose that Indy trade us Manning for Kitna, straight up? It's just as likely to happen :roll:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm
National Champion

I can see where you are going with the Jets needing to draft a quarterback, but they would probably only give us their 1st and 3rd, or something to that effect. Either way, I'd still do it, we need bodies.

January 10th, 2009, 2:51 pm
Veteran General Manager

A jets fan over at footballsfuture.com is willing to give up their 1st,2nd, and 4th picks to do it. Here's the conversation. His answer in bold at the bottom.

Quote:
BillySims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: first mock draft give feedback Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
bigm10 wrote:
With Mays and Moore off the board we either trade down or pick BJ Raji. We need the NT.

I almost gave you Peria Jerry but then i remembered you had Amobi Okoye.

Quote:
Hey bigm10,

Would the Jets be willing to trade up to #1 overall to get your choice of QB's and get him signed before the draft? (Considering the huge question mark at QB for you guys)

Say your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks. #1 - #17 being quite a drop.

I think the Jets are a ready made team just in need of a QB that can play within your system.

Quote:
bigm10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: first mock draft give feedback Reply with quote
Hey bigm10,

Would the Jets be willing to trade up to #1 overall to get your choice of QB's and get him signed before the draft? (Considering the huge question mark at QB for you guys)

I think the Jets are a ready made team just in need of a QB that can play within your system.

Not 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but 1st 2nd and 4th.
Heck yes.
[/quote]

January 10th, 2009, 3:08 pm
QB Coach

A jets fan over at footballsfuture.com is willing to give up their 1st,2nd, and 4th picks to do it. Here's the conversation. His answer in bold at the bottom.

Quote:
BillySims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: first mock draft give feedback Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
bigm10 wrote:
With Mays and Moore off the board we either trade down or pick BJ Raji. We need the NT.

I almost gave you Peria Jerry but then i remembered you had Amobi Okoye.

Quote:
Hey bigm10,

Quote:
bigm10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: first mock draft give feedback Reply with quote
Hey bigm10,

Not 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but 1st 2nd and 4th.
Heck yes.
[/quote]
Sorry, but fans on the website saying they want it doesn't prove anything. The fact that you've proposed this here proves my point. Fans generally don't know squat, or at least want things to happen that are not realistic. The Jets are far more than a QB away from being set. They couldn't win a game down the stretch this year, and it wasn't all because of Favre.

Regardless, I'll pose this challenge to you. You show me when a team has given up that many draft picks for a player and it's worked out for them, and then I'll consider the possibility. Until then, this is a crazy, no-chance-in-hell idea.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 10th, 2009, 3:20 pm
QB Coach

Jets are in cap trouble already they can't afford the #1 pick, even if they release Favre.

January 10th, 2009, 3:26 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

a 3rd round pick
a future 1st
a future 5th

They only moved down 3 spots

Realistically to get the value needed to move down that far according to the "chart" would require theirs 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder this year and their 1st and second next year. Personally I would consider trading for a 1st and 3rd for both years just to avoid the giant salary unless a sure firie eltie player emerges.

January 10th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Walk On

NY Jets projected cap 2009: $127,937,281

Projected '09 cap: 123 million

Other than that, I love the idea. I don't see why we can't give another team incentive by accepting less than equivalent trade value. If it makes sense for our franchise, do it. I'd take a mid- 1st, 2nd, and 4th without question.

-ILMP

January 10th, 2009, 10:19 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

For the Lions to trade the pick a lot of things need to fall into place. Right now I don't see any them likely to happen.

1. A team has to 'fall in love' and believe the only way to acquire this player is draft him #1 overall. (I don't believe this kind of player is available this year)

2. That team has to have and be willing to part with enough draft picks to reach the chart value to move up. Or Detroit has to be willing to settle for less than market value. (most teams are looking to trade down not up and don't think Mayhew wants to look like he got fleeced on draft day)

3. That team has to be willing to play the player #1 overall pick money which would automatically make that player one of if not the highest paid players at their position. (I don't believe most teams are willing to do this unless they are drafting a franchise QB - again where is the franchise QB?)

January 11th, 2009, 11:01 am
Heisman Winner

If there was a QB worth taking #1 this year, the Lions would already be taking him.

January 11th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Walk On

If there was a QB worth taking #1 this year, the Lions would already be taking him.

All you foo's keep talkin' like it ain't gonna happen. It's a done deal. May as well get used to it.

-ILMP

January 11th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Heisman Winner

Quote:

All you foo's keep talkin' like it ain't gonna happen. It's a done deal. May as well get used to it.

-ILMP

We don't even have a coach and the #1 pick is a done deal. I see.

:roll:

January 11th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Team MVP

InterimLionsMasterPimp wrote:
Quote:

-ILMP

We don't even have a coach and the #1 pick is a done deal. I see.

:roll:

Haha apparently.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 14th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Walk On

I hereby retract all of my posts for the last 2 weeks. We are no longer going to take a QB with the top pick of the draft.

I have a friend who has a friend that knows Killer's source and says that Matthew Stafford will eat your children, so there is no way Detroit drafts QB with Bradford out of the picture.

I guess it's back to the 'Which LT do we take?' circle jerk at Lionbacker.

-ILMP

January 14th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next