View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Trading #1 overall. A posibility. 
5th Round Pick - Traded

If you heard Mayhew at the press conference today he even said he doesn't expect to trade the pick.

January 16th, 2009, 9:02 pm
#1 Overall Pick

As I've mentioned before and M2 did earlier in this thread the trade value chart is obsolete with the signing bonuses at the top of the draft. The Lions should put the pick out there and see what is offered. If any team in the top ten is willing to jump at the pick with their pick and a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st next year I think they take the deal.

I agree 100% that the RIDICULOUS bonus money being paid to #1 overall picks renders the "trade value chart" worthless.

If I was a GM in this draft, I'd rather have the #3 overall selection MORE that the #1 overall selection. I seriously would trade down from #1 to #3 for a backup Punter!

The reason is that I wouldn't want to pay the extra money when I would rather draft a defensive player or OLT that will be available further down the board.

Quote:
the precived trade value from JJ's chart is just to darn steep to make it happen.

I've never understood WHY anyone would even look at a POINT CHART at the top of the draft. The players available from year to year are different, so how can the "point value" remain the same???

In 2004, I would have made a trade like the Giants made to get Manning.

In 2005.....I would have "given" the 1st overall pick away to anyone who would have swapped me picks in the top 10. I didn't like ANY of the players being hyped for the top 10 picks as much as I liked Merriman, Derrick Johnson, and Jammal Brown.

Quote:
basically the only way the lions or any team trade down the #1 with a partner, is to take less value for the pick than the chart rates

I think a smart thing to do would be to figure out how much VALUE the pick has to our team.......and not worry about whether fans, sportswriters, or other teams think we made a smart move.

In the 2008 draft, The Patriots traded the #7 pick to the Saints for #10 and a 3rd rounder. I remember some of the supposed "draft gurus" saying they made a mistake because they lost out on Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers. Of course, the "gurus" had not considered that Belichick wanted to get a stout ILB in Mayo.........while Rivers is better suited to play in a 4-3 and Ellis is a short 1-gap DT that doesn't fit New England's defense and the Pats are loaded on the D-line.

The Patriots got a good player at a position they NEEDED the most......were able to PAY that player LESS MONEY.......and picked up a 3rd rounder for FREE.

I believe that there are about 7 or 8 players that are all similar in "value" to the what Lions really NEED to get better. If they can get ANY 1st day pick in return to move out of the #1 overall spot down to any pick in the top 10.......I'd make the deal........and I'd get a player that should help us while paying him MUCH LESS money.

Obviously.......I wouldn't announce this to any of those teams, but I would be calling all of them to see IF or WHAT they would offer to get the #1 overall pick. I expect that the Lions would be offered a 3rd rounder by at least 1 team.....and perhaps more than that.

January 16th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Good post, Phunny. Isn't this approach sort of what the Lions employed last draft by trading down (for extra picks) to take a player they had targeted whom they believed would help them immediately at a position of need (Gosder)?

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

January 16th, 2009, 11:38 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

sweetd20 wrote:
As I've mentioned before and M2 did earlier in this thread the trade value chart is obsolete with the signing bonuses at the top of the draft. The Lions should put the pick out there and see what is offered. If any team in the top ten is willing to jump at the pick with their pick and a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st next year I think they take the deal.

I agree 100% that the RIDICULOUS bonus money being paid to #1 overall picks renders the "trade value chart" worthless.

If I was a GM in this draft, I'd rather have the #3 overall selection MORE that the #1 overall selection. I seriously would trade down from #1 to #3 for a backup Punter!

The reason is that I wouldn't want to pay the extra money when I would rather draft a defensive player or OLT that will be available further down the board.

Quote:
the precived trade value from JJ's chart is just to darn steep to make it happen.

I've never understood WHY anyone would even look at a POINT CHART at the top of the draft. The players available from year to year are different, so how can the "point value" remain the same???

In 2005.....I would have "given" the 1st overall pick away to anyone who would have swapped me picks in the top 10. I didn't like ANY of the players being hyped for the top 10 picks as much as I liked Merriman, Derrick Johnson, and Jammal Brown.

Quote:
basically the only way the lions or any team trade down the #1 with a partner, is to take less value for the pick than the chart rates

I think a smart thing to do would be to figure out how much VALUE the pick has to our team.......and not worry about whether fans, sportswriters, or other teams think we made a smart move.

In the 2008 draft, The Patriots traded the #7 pick to the Saints for #10 and a 3rd rounder. I remember some of the supposed "draft gurus" saying they made a mistake because they lost out on Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers. Of course, the "gurus" had not considered that Belichick wanted to get a stout ILB in Mayo.........while Rivers is better suited to play in a 4-3 and Ellis is a short 1-gap DT that doesn't fit New England's defense and the Pats are loaded on the D-line.

The Patriots got a good player at a position they NEEDED the most......were able to PAY that player LESS MONEY.......and picked up a 3rd rounder for FREE.

I believe that there are about 7 or 8 players that are all similar in "value" to the what Lions really NEED to get better. If they can get ANY 1st day pick in return to move out of the #1 overall spot down to any pick in the top 10.......I'd make the deal........and I'd get a player that should help us while paying him MUCH LESS money.

Obviously.......I wouldn't announce this to any of those teams, but I would be calling all of them to see IF or WHAT they would offer to get the #1 overall pick. I expect that the Lions would be offered a 3rd rounder by at least 1 team.....and perhaps more than that.

Last year's top 3 selections all received top level contracts, with Ryan the 3rd pick getting the most money. Teams that could use a QB and could possibly trade up would be the Rams at 2. Chiefs,Seahawks, and Niners all have young QBs that showed definite promise last year. So I seriously doubt those teams would trade up for such a project like Matt Stafford. Rams may, but we would just be trading down from 1 to 2. I absolutely see elite talent in this draft though. Andre Smith,Aaron Curry,Malcolm Jenkins,Michael Oher. Just none at the QB position that would be the impetus for a trade up.

January 17th, 2009, 12:23 am
Towel Boy

I like this thread - I would like to see the Lions trade the #1 pick for both of the Eagles' first rounders. Not only would it save the Lions some money since they wouldn't have to pay the #1 pick the outrageous bonus money, but they would take the pressure off of their draft picks since none would be in the top 10.

Chances of this happening: Probably less than 10%. But just think of having three picks in the second half of the first round. OL, QB of the future, and CB/DL could be taken care of with the first three picks.

Mike a.k.a LionsFanInMissouri

January 22nd, 2009, 11:31 pm
3rd Round Selection

sweetd20 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't believe I missed this post earlier.

Absolutely superb stuff phunny - you are bang on with everything you say here. :arrow:

January 23rd, 2009, 6:44 am
Veteran General Manager

There is another angle here that the Lions could capitalize on.

2010 is shaping up to be an uncapped year unless something shakes out 1 way or the other in the next couple of months. So, any team that trades up to #1 overall can simply write out a contract where the bulk of the money can be placed in a roster bonus for the 2010 season. Thereby, making it a very cap friendly contract. Therefore, I still think the Jets are a possible suitor.

January 23rd, 2009, 5:28 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

There is another angle here that the Lions could capitalize on.

2010 is shaping up to be an uncapped year unless something shakes out 1 way or the other in the next couple of months. So, any team that trades up to #1 overall can simply write out a contract where the bulk of the money can be placed in a roster bonus for the 2010 season. Thereby, making it a very cap friendly contract. Therefore, I still think the Jets are a possible suitor.

And then a bargaining agreement is reached and you are forced to cut your #1 pick after 1 season.

January 23rd, 2009, 6:49 pm
NFL Team Captain

This might not be the correct place but it could involve our draft plans

Isn't Culpepper due a roster bonus of around 8 Mil sometime in March.
If he is cut then we may be looking for aQB at somepoint

January 23rd, 2009, 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3