View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Trading #1 overall. A posibility. 
National Champion

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this so I'll throw it out there... How much more is our first pick worth now with Bradford not declaring? What I mean by this, is there is no fallback option (as of yet) for another first round quarterback. Wouldn't that make someone much more likely to bite on a trade for the #1 if they wanted Stafford? Or does that just rise the stock of folks like Freeman and Sanchez.

January 14th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Walk On

It will benefit Freeman and Sanchez by default, perhaps a few draft positions. They will not IMO, rise up and take a top spot vacated by Bradford. It has always been Bradford and Stafford. And then, sometime later, everyone else. The mocks I'm seeing don't have either of those two in the first.

According to 90% of the people on here, the loss of Bradford should not affect our value, since neither QB is worth the top pick anyway. But if you ask me, it just made us the only show in town. If you want a QB worth his salt in '09- grab a ticket. The line forms outside the Lions front office.

You are looking at a substantial dropoff now from 1 to 2. There will be some interest in trades IMO. Whether we get value or not and actually make the trade depends on the combines and hype.

-ILMP

January 14th, 2009, 11:56 pm
RIP Killer

We don't HAVE to take a QB, even in round one. Look at Miami...they had nothing for a QB at draft time last season. Did they take one? Not until round two when they took Henne. But, they were able to sign Chad Pennington later. Still, he wasn't the sole reason they went 11-5.

I truly don't think our QB situation is as bad as some reason it to be. I know and understand none of them will take us to the SuperBowl, but neither will any of the QBs available in this draft.

Wait until next year, and either take Oher, Orakpo or Curry.

All that said, the most likely trading partner for Detroit is Kansas City. Despite his better than average play down the stretch, I don't think anyone in KC honestly thinks Thigpen is the long term answer. Problem is, KC needs offensive line help almost as bad as Detroit. They may want to move up to get Oher. Still, take their 3rd rounder and move down two spots...that would be fair. And before any of you start crying about trade value charts, wipe your arse with them, because teams basically don't use those anymore. Saving the $2-3M in cap space is more important than fleecing the other team for a second rounder or multiple picks.

January 15th, 2009, 12:01 am
QB Coach

Yea I mentioned the possibility of KC in another thread. Pioli will probably be too smart to trade with us. But, they are probably the best shot in terms of a team looking to make sure to land the "top" QB of this draft and we'd only move down 2 spots.

At 3 we can still land an elite prospect (Curry Orakpo Oher Jenkins) and pick up an extra selection or two in the process. Maybe take a 3rd this year and either a 2nd or a 3rd next year? That way we have some ammo to move up in 2010 to get the QB we want. That is if we even need to move up. :roll:

January 15th, 2009, 12:21 am
Stadium Announcer

I would love to be able to draft defense this year at #1 or trade down. But i am too scared about the QB position. Can You trust Culpepper to drop 30 lbs and get his legs back? or All of a sudden Stanton sees the light and learns 3 yrs worth overnight? As of now i would have to say Orlovsky is our starter.All i can say about him is he makes a heck of a Back up. He wont hurt you if your starter goes down for 4-5 games type. He can obviously get by in the pros...But there is just no Dynamic....You look at the Perenial Playoff teams and what do you see at QB???? some kind of Dynamics. We have none....

Only if there were a young rocket-for-an-arm QB that has Experience in Pro Systems with great touch and good Accuracy and get 3rd n 5 with his feet consistently??????let me know if anybody finds one

January 15th, 2009, 1:27 am
National Champion

Football Wiz, I'm almost positive that Culpepper will be gone before his bonus is due, which should be here in the next few months. Don't count on him being around, the qb's we'll have our Kitna, Orlovsky, and Stanton as of right now (without the draft or FA).

January 15th, 2009, 8:04 am
RIP Killer

Football Wiz, I'm almost positive that Culpepper will be gone before his bonus is due, which should be here in the next few months. Don't count on him being around, the qb's we'll have our Kitna, Orlovsky, and Stanton as of right now (without the draft or FA).

You can scratch Kitna off that list.....he was PISSED when he was put on IR, and basically said he had seen the field for the last time as a Lion. I see him insisting on, and getting, his release.

January 15th, 2009, 11:29 am
National Champion

every year we talk about a trade down.(when we are in the top 5 or so).and every year it never happens
becuase of a combination of the cost of paying for the high pick and the precived trade value from JJ's chart is just to darn steep to make it happen.

trading out of say the top 3 or so draft positions, is going to depend on two things.

the rookie salary cap get done.

and/or teams are willing to scrap the value chart.

billys jets senerio, if the jets could afford the #1's contract.
and the lions would take a 1st, and 2nd or 1st and 3rd.
it's possible.

basically the only way the lions or any team trade down the #1 with a partner, is to take less value for the pick than the chart rates.. untill
they put in a salary cap.

January 15th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

As I've mentioned before and M2 did earlier in this thread the trade value chart is obsolete with the signing bonuses at the top of the draft. The Lions should put the pick out there and see what is offered. If any team in the top ten is willing to jump at the pick with their pick and a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st next year I think they take the deal.

January 15th, 2009, 8:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

every year we talk about a trade down.(when we are in the top 5 or so).and every year it never happens
becuase of a combination of the cost of paying for the high pick and the precived trade value from JJ's chart is just to darn steep to make it happen.

trading out of say the top 3 or so draft positions, is going to depend on two things.

it's possible.

basically the only way the lions or any team trade down the #1 with a partner, is to take less value for the pick than the chart rates.. untill

I am more inclined to think that the only reason we were unable to trade down was because Matt Millen is an idiot and demanded too much.

January 16th, 2009, 1:24 am
QB Coach

kskfordfleet wrote:

it's possible.

I am more inclined to think that the only reason we were unable to trade down was because Matt Millen is an idiot and demanded too much.

Billy think about this. When is the last time the #1 overall pick was traded? I believe it was 2001 when Atlanta traded up for Vick. But Vick was seen as the can't miss, freak of nature QB who only comes along once in a lifetime. That type of player hasn't been there recently, and certainly isn't there this year. The reality is that unless there is a player like that, nobody is going to trade up. It costs too much to get there, and then the cost of paying that one player on top of it makes it a deal-breaker. It's not going to happen unless the Lions take far less than the pick is worth.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 16th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
kskfordfleet wrote:

it's possible.

Billy think about this. When is the last time the #1 overall pick was traded? I believe it was 2001 when Atlanta traded up for Vick. But Vick was seen as the can't miss, freak of nature QB who only comes along once in a lifetime. That type of player hasn't been there recently, and certainly isn't there this year. The reality is that unless there is a player like that, nobody is going to trade up. It costs too much to get there, and then the cost of paying that one player on top of it makes it a deal-breaker. It's not going to happen unless the Lions take far less than the pick is worth.

What about the Manning - Rivers trade? Does that count as trading the 1st overall pick?

January 16th, 2009, 2:41 pm
QB Coach

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kskfordfleet wrote:

it's possible.

What about the Manning - Rivers trade? Does that count as trading the 1st overall pick?

I guess it could. I'm not sure about the "value" of the trade thought. I think it was less than what is normal.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 16th, 2009, 8:02 pm
NFL Veteran

They traded first round picks and NY's first round pick the next year. I'd say that's pretty valuable.

January 16th, 2009, 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

They traded first round picks and NY's first round pick the next year. I'd say that's pretty valuable.

The deal was rights to Eli (#1 overall) for rights to Rivers (#4 overall) and 2005 1st, 3rd and 5th picks.

January 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next